• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DAD's SMASH LAB UPDATED 1/22 - Wizard Kick Canceling 101; "Z1gman Comboing"!!!

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
You should better get a second vs Shiek, Falco and IC mains. Your TOTALLY ****ed vs them
In other words, learn how to use Zelda/Sheik. She actually has fairly good matchups against all of them, as well as King DDD, Fox, Wolf, and other assorted nuisances.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Also, I'm starting to mostly mess around with BDC airdodging after d-throw (I think someone mentioned it earlier.) It's a pretty solid movement to place you in the right position for any follow up, and avoiding any immediate counters. Most of the BDC air dodging I'm using is for placement, sort a quick delay of invulnerability to think and position my attack, maybe make them whiff an aerial for me to get in a better position for tipman, f-air, or stomp. Problem with it is always the vulnerability at the bottom, so it's far from a abusable technique. It's mostly something that should be used for the occasional spacing.
This is an alright tactic, yes, but I believe you have better options out of Dthrow. Let's also not forget to mention DI if your opponent isn't at super low percentages...

As for spot dodge stuff, I know you've been doing quite a bit of research on it DAD but...Ganon's spot dodge is utter garbage. It's pretty hard to integrate successfully with moves, even with BDC air dodge, against good players. Some of the only benefit I've found is surprising people after a far away spot dodge and extending the reach of my f-smash to crazy lengths...spot dodge helps with that.
Sorry, Swoops...I don't say this often in regards to your comments, but you're dead wrong. Maybe I'll just have to prove it to you, but you just don't know how to use it in the ways in which I'm using it. In the grand scheme of things, Ganon's Spot Dodge is one of the "worst" in the game. However, it also also is one of the only SDs in the game that allows for a handful of momentum glitches that I've been finding ways to exploit effectively. We're not talking about Demonic Step bullsh*t here. The techniques I'm talking about actually have a use.

Proof soon enough.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Probably known, but still sexy: You can do the flying kick thingy from a Wizard Kick Cancel.
I like it when I punched an opponent all the way high up in the upper corner.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Dunno if it's basic knowledge, but I'd like to bring up Ganon's potential regarding performing UAirs or BAirs and landing on platforms. Particularly in Battlefield, when performing a full-hopped UAir or BAir immediately after leaving the the ground, any landing lag can be canceled if you land on the platform. You can pretty much follow into anything if the opponent even seems to be heading to land on the plaform. UAir, and if they get hit off-stage, you can chase 'em with a Wizkick; we all know what can be done after that. If they dodge it, Ganon's free to do anything else to them such as....well...anything that can hit them before their capable of doing anything else.

Battlefield's the only stage I've practiced this on, but other stages with platforms that have similar heights should be tested. Just wanted to bring that up rather than assume it's already common knowledge and say nothing.

TP

Smash Master
It feels so weird being all the way up here in the sticky section.

Guys, we currently have a solid 0 topics to discuss here. DAD, I recommend we talk about using retreating tipman onstage. I was chatting with Kosk and he seemed to feel it was the key to having all of his dreams come true. [/hyperbole]

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
oh god guys the z1gman combo is freaking amazing>>> have we found yett if its confirmed?
It's pretty situational, so it haven't melted into my game yet ;/ sadly...

But since it can litterally STEAL an opponents stock if the opportunity is given, it's worth giving a shot learning it.

The hardest part is to fuse it with your "personal metagame" ;\
(again, since it's so situational)

Lol, gaw****. I been here like 2 days and I'm already the Ganon boards ***** :p
Hey PhantomX...
You really should play this "Hard boiled mod" when you're at these boards ;)
JK

hyperstation

Smash Lord
DAD, I recommend we talk about using retreating tipman onstage. I was chatting with Kosk and he seemed to feel it was the key to having all of his dreams come true. [/hyperbole]
What have you to say about it? Start it up, homie. I'm a huge proponent of the retreating Tipman, but I'm not sure where you hope to take the discussion.

But seriously...hopefully a long overdue update soon. I don't really have the facilities to edit videos where I am right now, but I might already have the material I need on my hard drive. I'll have to check. A video-less update wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the time being, either.

I watched some videos of NinjaLink's Ganon recently, and although it isn't the most advanced Ganon, it has some signature NinjaLink Ace-Spacing and unorthodox move usage. The vids are certainly worth watching. His youtube name is Mariorqs I believe.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Purrrfect. Glad this has been sticked.

I just finished watching Ninjalink's Ganon. He really does have his spacing nailed down and all, but in all those videos, all his opponents lacked a huge amount of skill. Anyone could just jump back and forth and attack over and over again, if the opponent doesn't punish properly.

:034:

Smash Hero
I watched some of NL's Ganon vids too (a while ago, even) and I wasn't particularly impressed... He had his spacing going on like always, but he tries too much onorthodox movement, which will usually end up getting you punished when you do that with Ganon.

I've seen reverse uair work as an approach on Marth? I'll try it more next time I play Brawl.

TP

Smash Master
Retreating tipman should be able to shut down many approaches. I don't see why it would not work against Marth. Does anyone know how many frames there are between the end of the tipman and your shield going up? I can't test anything until I get my Wii back, which could take a loooooong time.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
Retreating tipman should be able to shut down many approaches. I don't see why it would not work against Marth. Does anyone know how many frames there are between the end of the tipman and your shield going up? I can't test anything until I get my Wii back, which could take a loooooong time.
ac'd uair is 22 frames, and tipman is around 18 I think. Shield up is like 3 frames, and there's 1-2 frames of not doing anything after you land I think, so it's around 5-8 frames.

In tipman related news, I started trying it vs my brothers Jiggly and it is indeed quite good. I really need to practice spacing it though.

studly

Smash Ace
my sparring partner mains marth so ive gotten alot of experience using U-airs as a way to punish his advances... and honestly i still cant say whether it works or it doesnt

sometimes timing it comes easy and i punish his eagernes other times it feels like he just slashes right through them

i have started using tipmans and then later in the match Whiffing one so i can catch him with a grounded Side B

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I can't test this by my self right now:

If you can predict Pikachu's down+b, and then Utilt him, would that make the lightning miss Pikachu and therefore not expand and hit you? Making your Axe kick crush Pikachu's cranium to pieces?

fear17

Smash Apprentice
I need some help Im a lucas main but I want to main ganon as well I know he is almost bottom tier but I want to bring him up can someone help?

@HomE

Smash Ace
I need some help Im a lucas main but I want to main ganon as well I know he is almost bottom tier but I want to bring him up can someone help?
Welcome!

Read the guides, or at least browse them all, then if you have any specific questions I'm sure any of the Ganons here could answer them.

@HomE

Smash Ace
ok thanks well let me check them out
If there is one thing i would recommend starting is getting your Thunderstorming down. i'm not sure if its even possible to play a decent Ganon without TS.

Step 1) go to training mode, you might want to start on with time slowed down a little.

Step 2) hold down on the control stick(keep it help down) and then slide your thumb from Y to A, just kinda of flick it.

If you did it right you should do a short hop and then D-air right away and land with 0 lag. Once you become more comfortable getting it to cancel the lag everytime you can slide the control stick to the left or right after you start the D-air. If you move the control stick to fast you will do a B-air or a F-air. You should be able to cancel the B-air using this same method but if you do a F-air in a match, expect to get punished.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
You want to bring him up? I doubt that will ever happen. Ganon's slowly being recognized as the worst character in the game, due to his horrific match-ups.

@HomE

Smash Ace
You want to bring him up? I doubt that will ever happen. Ganon's slowly being recognized as the worst character in the game, due to his horrific match-ups.

???

I thought everyone has known for a long time he is garbage....

Top Bottom