• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Approaches Discussion #2 - Spincharge (?) + SDR

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonic has no horizontally moving projectile, no reflector to deal with projectiles, and no ridiculously long ranged moves. As such, Sonic has to approach in nearly every match-up he has, and now approaching has become one of the most fundamental parts of his game.

In this thread, we talk about what Sonic can use to approach, what the positives and negatives of it are, who it should be used against, that kind of thing. Past the approaches themselves, follow-ups should also be considered. Sonic has many options for approaching, so we'll work through them. This may take a while.

Ready? GO!

Spindash

Side-B (Hop) Advantages & Disadvantages at a glance:

+ Invincibility frames on release.
+ You can often FSJ them out of a hop.
+++ Shield cancellable on ground before full charge.
+ Several different options available from this, like VSDJ or Spinshot for example (to be covered later)
- Bad damage output (5%)
-This phase only has a temporary hitbox that goes away after you go under your starting height.
- Hop is slow moving, and so doesn't cover ground as quickly as Spincharge => SDR.

- Whilst invincibility frames are present, you've got to remember to not to get too comfortable with them. Only the first 5 or 6 frames upon release have invincibility frames which really isn't a lot at all. Don't think you can barge through a Game & Watch weaving defensive aerials, when you're only invincible for a 10th of a second.

- Footstool Jumping is an obvious invitation to a jab lock opportunity, provided you can get down to the ground before your opponent reacts.

- Shield cancelling is seriously the best option here. It's priority is the main reason for this. As the hop progresses past it's invincibility frames, the hop's priority diminishes from decent near the start to it basically being beaten out by everything as it finishes for. As a direct approach, unless your opponent is spaced horribly, you're only going to be hitting them with the low priority part which is pretty easily counterable.

With shield cancelling it, you're generally a lot safer unless your opponent plans to grab you out of the SDR to follow the hop, and ends up grabbing your shield instead. This cancelling is the backbone of Sonic's 'bait & punish' game. Once your opponent reacts to the predicted SDR, you're free to run in and punish any lag that the move they used to try and outprioritize with whatever best fits the situation. You don't have to punish just attacks though, spotdodges are fairly punishable too.

- The bad damage that the hop gives is the reason for it's bad priority, as as we all should know grounded priority is down to the damage output of both attacks that are 'clashing'. This bad damage alone should put you off using it as a direct approach quite honestly.

- There is a small amount of time where Sonic's hop has no hitbox at all, just before it hits the ground. Kind of comparable to the SDR 'turn-around' state where Sonic can just be attacked out of it, but can't put any hurt on the opponent at all. Just another reason why this is a bad direct approach, I guess.

- The nature of Sonic's spindash and spincharge should indicate that they're not meant to be used as a direct approach, as as they both have low priority, they're going to be easily outprioritized by an opponent as he's got time to think and react accordingly. Basically, you've got to use these as punishers, and spincharge does that job better. It closes the gap quicker between you and your opponent by not slowing you down by doing a little hop to start with before going into an SDR (which they both turn into, which will be covered later). Spindash simply isn't fast enough to get into an SDR to go and punish, so spincharge is preferable in basically every situation.​

Direct Approach :

Punish Approach :

Spincharge
Ehh

Spin Dash Roll (SDR)
yayay.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Post reserved for something cool.

But for now I'll say this :

I mostly want disadvantages and advantages, and what approaches not to use on certain characters (for example, Spindash on IC's = lolrape.) I know the general fundamentals of each of his approaches, and what it mostly should be used for (like Spindash is meant for a way through projectiles + a "fake-out" approach, whilst Spincharge is more of a punisher)

So yeah, discuss.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
In this thread, we talk about what Sonic can use to approach, whether it is good or bad, who it should be used against, that kind of thing. Sonic has many options for approaching, so we'll work through them. This may take a while.

Ready? GO!

Spindash

Steaky.
I'd rather talk about its positives, negatives, follow ups and general discussion about it.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I pretty much meant positives and negatives when I said discuss whether it's "good or bad", but I'm wording things not perfectly because I'm doing other things whilst I do this of greater importance. Plus on the second thread, I said talk about advantages and disadvantages, which is more or less positives and negatives though. I didn't consider follow-ups though, so I'll update the OP.

Tenki

Smash Hero
like this?

Spindash (SDR):
+ You're moving towards your opponent.
+ You can jump to SDJ or up-B out of SDR for the escapes.

+ You can't shield -1
+ You can't dodge -1
+ Your hurtbox is as wide as your attackbox. -1

It's a really safe approach, easily one of Sonic's best approaches. /sarcasm

but really, it's best used either to not approach (lol jumping to feint, or shield cancelling when you can), or to punish when your opponent can't do anything (airdodge lag, landing lag, move lag, roll lag, spotdodge lag.. blahblahblah).

It's really weak to projectiles >_>

Direct approach: 2/5
Punish approach: 4/5

Spindash (SDJ):
+ Faster move speed in the air
+ You travel higher, have a temporary hitbox you can combo with at low %'s
+ You can airdodge at any time, as usual.
+ You can even double jump.
- Hitbox is temporary
- Hurtbox is about as wide as attackbox

Awesome. Pretty safe, not really committed at all. Direct attacking when your opponent isn't in some sort of lag? Maybe not. It's easy to outprioritize, but at least you can airdodge if you see an attack coming.

Direct approach: ???
Punish approach: ???

It's really just a form of movement, like a buffed jump lol.

ASC:
+ 2 hits and comboability
+ ~15-18 damage per 2 hits mid-game.
+ Shieldcancel on landing
+ Can double jump
- Hurtbox is about as wide as attackbox
- A bit of startup time, so if your opponent runs towards you and attacks, you'll probably get hit, unless you reflexively up-B when they get to ya.

One of the best times to use it is when you know your opponent will spotdodge. Something like:
Run forward > shield (stops the run+momentum) > SH OoS > ASC.

Also, if your opponent is doing an approaching aerial, dash attack, or dash grab, you can retreat ASC and counterattack with a forward-ASC for the ouchs.

If your opponent CAN do stuff, it's not very safe. Aerials will outprioritize it.

Direct approach: 3/5
Punish approach: 5/5

Side-B (Hop):
+ Invincibility on release
+ Shieldcancellable on ground before full charge
+ Hop usually sets up for a footstool.
- low damage
- Hop slows you down/ doesn't cover ground as quickly as SDR.

shield. best way to use it lolol.

Punish approach: 3/5

okay.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Tenki, every hit to the SDR's decay is counted separately, correct?
If so, would the ASC+SDR+SDJ be a really good solution to countering the decay on other attacks?

I've been playing with the idea in my head for quite some time. Sometimes my fSmash and bair get quite weak, and that possibly I can abuse the hit count on the spins to resolve the issue.

And I know this is a bit off the topic (my apologies Roooooy), but does every hit of dthrow also remove decay individually (I would think this would also apply to fair)?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I was messing around a bit with Sonic's DACUS and its a terrible method of approach.
Don't discuss it.

SH Fair is decent since sonic's high horizontal movement allows him to continue past the opponent without being punished easily.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tenki, every hit to the SDR's decay is counted separately, correct?
If so, would the ASC+SDR+SDJ be a really good solution to countering the decay on other attacks?

And I know this is a bit off the topic (my apologies Roooooy), but does every hit of dthrow also remove decay individually (I would think this would also apply to fair)?
[1] nop. They're all under the same counter. Though I'm not sure if it's "each cast" is +1 to stale moves, or if "each phase hit" is +1 to stale moves. [namedrop: infzy ]

[2] Nope.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I don't think Spindash itself is that good punishment.
Shield cancelled, it leads to a lot of options, like running in and grabbing.

Isn't Spincharge better at punishment, doesn't it have less start-up, have more speed, and reach the opponent quicker (as it doesn't have the 'hop' to slow it down)?

I personally never use Spindash in direct approach, only shield cancel them or spinshot out of them, or the occasional invincible Spindashes just for the lulz on certain stages.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
[1] nop. They're all under the same counter. Though I'm not sure if it's "each cast" is +1 to stale moves, or if "each phase hit" is +1 to stale moves. [namedrop: infzy ]

[2] Nope.
Again, my wording fails me.

I didn't mean if they were or weren't under the same counter, I already know they are all included in the same counter.

What I meant, was whether or not each individual hit from spins, and multihit moves like fair, dthrow, and uthrow eliminated decay on other moves faster since they hit many times.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't think Spindash itself is that good punishment.
Shield cancelled, it leads to a lot of options, like running in and grabbing.

Isn't Spincharge better at punishment, doesn't it have less start-up, have more speed, and reach the opponent quicker (as it doesn't have the 'hop' to slow it down)?

I personally never use Spindash in direct approach, only shield cancel them or spinshot out of them, or the occasional invincible Spindashes just for the lulz on certain stages.
Oh, by spindash, you were limiting it to side-B?

Side-B (Hop):
+ Invincibility on release
+ Shieldcancellable on ground before full charge
+ Hop usually sets up for a footstool.
- low damage
- Hop slows you down/ doesn't cover ground as quickly as SDR.

shield. best way to use it lolol.

Punish approach: 3/5

okay.
even that one got a lower rating. Different uses though.

---------------------

Again, my wording fails me.

I didn't mean if they were or weren't under the same counter, I already know they are all included in the same counter.

What I meant, was whether or not each individual hit from spins, and multihit moves like fair, dthrow, and uthrow eliminated decay on other moves faster since they hit many times.
Though I'm not sure if it's "each cast" is +1 to stale moves, or if "each phase hit" is +1 to stale moves
Well, generally, multi hit moves only count once for that move, so for that, then no. Otherwise F-air would be like 1337 stale move recovery. For a phase-changing move like spindash, I don't know if each phase counts as a different hit :[

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
For a phase-changing move like spindash, I don't know if each phase counts as a different hit :[
Someone needs to test this out then. I've been using the spins under the assumption that it removes decay since it hits twice in ASC, once in SDR, and again in SDJ.

Then again, I have no real clue. XP

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
How are you all banned?
@_@

Anyways the spincharge is a better punisher than the spindash.
They both have similar start up time but the spincharge covers the same distances faster since it doesn't hop (when fully charged I think they have the same speed).

THe spindash itself is an excellent means of approaching but only when done so indirectly. Shield cancels allow baiting and allow Sonic to constantly keep his options open.
The spindash itself can be spinshotted and lead top several things or can be jump canceled regularly.

Its versatile but only in the indirect aspect.

I don't believe it remove decay. I'[ll double check in a bit

Dark Deku

Smash Apprentice
Sonic has no horizontally moving projectile, no reflector to deal with projectiles, and no ridiculously long ranged moves. As such, Sonic has to approach in nearly every match-up he has, and now approaching has become one of the most fundamental parts of his game.

In this thread, we talk about what Sonic can use to approach, what the positives and negatives of it are, who it should be used against, that kind of thing. Past the approaches themselves, follow-ups should also be considered. Sonic has many options for approaching, so we'll work through them. This may take a while.

Ready? GO!

Spindash

Steaky.

I say all there is to say is that its a cheap knockoff move that allows the n00bs to spin all match long. In a short way of saying all that is to just say it's gay. And I'm not saying all sonic players do this, I'm saying all the sonic ***** do this.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I say all there is to say is that its a cheap knockoff move that allows the n00bs to spin all match long. In a short way of saying all that is to just say it's gay. And I'm not saying all sonic players do this, I'm saying all the sonic ***** do this.

HAH.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off as rude but that was too good.

Sonic's spindash is highly punishable.

:093:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Read Tenki's "how to beat Sonic" thread, get better, and lrn2counter.

It's not hard. Dtilts will suffice.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
??? Spot dodge?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
The point is, it's a bad approach, and you're only playing bad Sonic's.

Just attack him out of it. It's like the only move where the whole "lol priority" thing is actually true.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If they keep spamming it, never mix it up, and you keep punishing it, they're idiots and deserve the punishment.

If they keep spamming it, never mix it up, and you can't punish it, quit whining and get better.

Ruthless

Smash Cadet
If they keep spamming it, never mix it up, and you keep punishing it, they're idiots and deserve the punishment.

If they keep spamming it, never mix it up, and you can't punish it, quit whining and get better.
what he said

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
But I can't tell them stop ****ing spamming can I?
Course not which is why you punish them for being stupid.

And Link n00b users spam projectiles all day its so gay.
Quit whining, as a fellow Link user I am ashamed of you.

Tenki

Smash Hero
best for last

:3

I don't mind doing SD first, because it's commonly thought of as a good approach, and we better get that idea shot down quickly.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Spin Dash/Charge/Shot/ASC/cancel/VSDJ/reversal...

...best mindgame?

A hefty, 16 oz. "hell yeah" for all you who didn't see it coming with the massive options list as a prime...r. ^_~

infomon

Smash Scientist
Agreed..... the beauty of our side-B / down-B is that they give us a ton of different options so we can stay unpredictable, bait responses, and apply pressure. I know Sonic pretty darn well and I still have trouble reacting to whichever spindash crazy thing he ends up using against me, lol.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I think that part of the beauty of Sonic's approach is that there really is litte "guaranteed" approaches. I agree with infzy. I know Sonic very well, and yet when I'm facing one I still have to consciously think about what the opposing Sonic will do when approaching with a spin type move. Plain SideB? Shield Cancel grab? Perfect Shield cancel> attack? Spinshot>A? SideB> SDR> HA? Spinhot>Ha? Etc? And thats only SideB.

No one mentioned the one way SideB is a truly safe direct approach, when you you use infzy invincy frames. EDIT: Woops NVM tenki mentioned invincyness.

I usually use it as a surprise attack against Sword bearers for a guaranteed break through their defenses. I frustrate Lucarios and Samuses(Samii? lawl) with it by eating through their fully charged Neutral Bs. And lol at SideB>Ike fsmash. Its great to discourage the use of slower repetitive use projectiles(fireballs, arrows, Charge Shot, AS, etc), but best left as a trick up your sleeve. Also nice when you do repeated shield cancels to tempt your opponent to grab, but then release the hop so that you're invincible and ungrabable.

Oh yeaaaaaaaaa

SideB in places where you can use the invincy Dash(Yoshi's Island sides for eexample) is too good ^_^. Counters Grabbers like Olimar and D3 :D

btw... I'm wondering if you can get an invincy dash by jumping offstage and rolling so that the hope "hugs" the edge, so it looks like a straight dash as is the case when you use SideB from the sides of Yoshi's island.

SideB hope "priority" seems to decrease across the length of the hope, going from invincibilty at startup, to being able to be beat out by virtually everything.

Still, those are slightly situational countermoves. SideB is better used as a general approach through shield cancelling. Although running and initiating a SideB release while doing so is pretty nifty for baiting reactions and punishing.

infomon

Smash Scientist
SideB is a truly safe direct approach, when you you use infzy invincy frames.
oh em gee..... infzy frames ftw :laugh:

Honestly, I have a really hard time landing them, though. It really seems like there aren't many frames there. I can collect frame data now, so I suppose I could try and determine exactly how many and where they exist. Hmmm....

You're right, invincy dash is tooooo good.

1. btw... I'm wondering if you can get an invincy dash by jumping offstage and rolling so that the hope "hugs" the edge, so it looks like a straight dash as is the case when you use SideB from the sides of Yoshi's island.

2. SideB hope "priority" seems to decrease across the length of the hope, going from invincibilty at startup, to being able to be beat out by virtually everything.
lol, you typoed "hop" as "hope" three times in a row :laugh:

I dunno if 1. will work, I doubt it because we might've noticed by now, but mebbe not... who wants to test this?

2. I suspect they're just a few invincy frames, and after that your hurtbox exists as normal again. The whole hop only does 5% at best (unstale), so it has barely any priority whatsoever :(

I've started loving side-B as an aerial approach, for the same reason you mention about it from a dash: it stops your (aerial) momentum unexpectedly, so you can stay just out of range of their attack, then punish with a small bit of damage while you go right through them to safety. It's one way to mix up your recovery, as you're nearing the stage and they're trying to edgeguard; or to get out of some combo/trap situations.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
lol, you typoed "hop" as "hope" three times in a row :laugh:

I dunno if 1. will work, I doubt it because we might've noticed by now, but mebbe not... who wants to test this?

2. I suspect they're just a few invincy frames, and after that your hurtbox exists as normal again. The whole hop only does 5% at best (unstale), so it has barely any priority whatsoever :(
LOL, SideB is the Obama of Brawl moves. Bringing hope to all lolol.

Timing is just something you get accustomed too. Easier to do offline.

And no, I'm 95% sure that after the invincy frames the move has uber high priority which at some point decreases until it has virtually none. It seems to be one of the only moves that actually has a sort of numeric value of something for priority.

I did lots of testing back in the day.

For example, shoot wolf's laser at Sonic during a sideB, and try to use invincibility frames to go past the projectile unharmed. You will find you can only pass through the laser at the veryyyy release of SideB, when the move is truly invincible. You should also note no little "clang" sprite if I'm not mistaken. If you hit with anything other than invincy frames, the move will beat out your SideB. However, take another move like Mario's fireball, or Link's arrow that are "clangable" projectile. You will find that you have a period slightly longer than the time period you had for wolf's lazer to beat out the projectile. You should also see a little clang sprite, indicating the move was outprioritized. You should also be able to see this against a move like Marth's fsmash. The further along you are in the hop(e), the easier it is to be outprioritized.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Okay... so um.. let's see...

Hi. I'm back.
WTF? Why are so many people banned here?
I obviously need to update my sig. (or do I?)
And personally, I perfer spin charge for approaching, because it feels like genesis, but spindashing is good for medium to close distance approaches because of that infzy hop. It's also good for spinshooting approaches, unless that's something to be discussed later, which is great for people who like to get aerial, as you can get at the aerial opponent excessively fast.

since we talkin about SDs, I like using them like the infzy frames of a Dragon Punch.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Welcome back Marko.

And yeah, I was going to cover Spinshotting seperately.

I'll get the write-up done for this when I've finished exam period, I'm busy right now D; I'll do it on Monday.

Suna

Smash Journeyman
^^ Suna, did you finish your post? It looks like you got cut off lol
thats because I forgot my peroid sorry.

but yea I've useing spin cancel alot now and my enemy alwas smashes because they thought I spun so I just run over there and follow-up,thats been working for me

Tenki

Smash Hero
thats because I forgot my peroid sorry.

but yea I've useing spin cancel alot now and my enemy alwas smashes because they thought I spun so I just run over there and follow-up,thats been working for me
bwahaha

you're just at the beginning.

Next you have to figure out what happens when your opponent thinks you're going to spin cancel.

Top Bottom