• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New marth footstool combo + NEW VID

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Go craaaaazy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p3OacvYxV0
(vid is currently processing at 11:23 pacific time on january 11th. give it a few minutes)

First of all, this is being made on top of my previous thread about a few marth combos I found, 2 of which involve footstools. Well I just found a new one, much better than the others before it ;). Here it is:

If you footstool your opponent at the correct height from the ground, (poor wario grab release lol) you can quickly side b once to cancel your upward momentum, and quickly drop an untippered fair onto your opponent before they can stand up. Strangely, an untippered fair is both a lock and a forced getup at low percents. Before your opponent can move from the fair (if their percent is a bit higher, they may fly far enough away that it is only a forced getup, not a lock, and at even higher percents the untippered fair will break the footstool completely and simply hit the opponent away) simply jab a few times. The jab is a ground lock on its own but the tippered jab will forced a getup (along with a tippered ftilt). Using a jab -> walk -> jab strategy, marth can obtain a pseudo jab lock for a short distance (untippered) before either tipper ftilting or tipper jabbing. At this point, simply walk a little bit and charge a tippered f smash for great knockback and damage. Should be about a 50 percent combo if you start from zero.

Notes:

If you do not wavebounce the side-b so that the opponent is in front of you, you may have to drop and hit them with the very end of fair so that it will knock them on the ground behind you.

Things to be tested:

1. What other combos can this lead to? jab lock to spike? I don't know
2. What are the percentages of each character
3. Can a second fair be used at lower percentages to continue the lock after the jabs run out of reach?

Test, comment and get back to me

Random marth combos from previous thread
-On the edge of the stage marth can tipper fair to FF spike any char and its a combo.
Oddly enough, you will die from this combo if you perform it on the ground. I haven't perfected it but i think you may be able to FF double jump dair. Its at low percents. Your opponent is standing near or right on the edge. You do a SHFF fair, then you sort of ledge cancel the fair but since theres no ledgecancelling in brawl you just sorta go through the landing motion and then walk off and then buffer a FF dair. I think that you may be able to do this off of platforms and footstool them at the end of it or even land on the stage. I guess I can post some videos but my wii is in the other room ATM lol. On a side note it seems like (on lighter chars such as metaknight) you might be able to do this onstage, but I haven't tested it enough yet.

EDIT: Tested it, and here are the results
-you can do this off of platforms such as those on battlefield to spike any character from 0- a low percent.
-If you do this off of a platform that is over the edge of a stage (frigate smashville) you actually have time to recover. You may even get a lucky footstool off on the opponent

-At lower percents use uair to foostool spike to mess with people.
U-air to footstool works to my knowledge, as well as u-air to spike which I have also gotten to work. (or uair to side b to grab) then you perform it just like you would any footstool spike, sending them back into the stage, or over the edge (if they DI bady). It stills does some damage and puts them into a bad position.

-At lower percents use uair to footstool and immediately press counter. If they cant react fast enough hold the A button for awhile. Your jabs will lock them until you jab tipper them, which will force a getup. You get a free grab combo or hit.
The u-air to footstool was mentioned earlier, so I'll just get to the other part of the combo. I had some trouble figuring this combo out, simply because marth has no momentum cancelling moves which put him on the ground in time to lock the opponent. The 2 options are to 1.counter, JCing the footstool and landing on the ground with some lag, or 2.quickly sideb and then fastfall, which is harder but has slightly less lag. Your opponent will have already bounced off the ground, but they usually do not react fast enough to immediately roll away out of a seemingly random footstool. Now, I assumed that you all knew that marth's tippered jab and marth's tippered ftilt (maybe dtilt i dont know) are a getup reset and force your opponent to standup. So what I do from there usually is to simply hold the A button. Marth will do his single jab over and over, slowly hitting the opponent away until they are hit with the tippered jab (jab lock animation). Once you see this happen (by the hitlag) you simply run over to them and perform any move, since its an auto standup.

I hope this explains them a bit more. I also had an idea where you would fair to FFdair off of the smashville platform, and since it is over the death zone at some points (not onstage like most platforms) you may be able to do the FF spike to footstool at the end for a flashy kill at 0, but I havent tested it yet.

Hope this helps.

∫unk

Smash Master
those are all new to the public

you're going to need to explain all of those more clearly fiction :D

what point are you d-airing at? near the edge so still on stage when you ff d-air right?

u-air below them them jump above them?

why counter?

AzNsAnTaGiN

Smash Cadet
I'm still trying to figure out the UAir to footstool. It seems contradictory. You're knocking them upwards; how exactly do you catch up to them to footstool? We're not Melee Falco.

And these combos only work at low percents?

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I'm still trying to figure out the UAir to footstool. It seems contradictory. You're knocking them upwards; how exactly do you catch up to them to footstool? We're not Melee Falco.

And these combos only work at low percents?
Most the time combos.......only work at low percents. What do you want, 5000 infinites?

You u-air....and then .....jump????

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I would play around with these combos, but it would be easier for you to just perform them and save a video to show us. The only thing i see being a problem is landing a footstool because opponents usually dont let you just get directly above them w/o pulling up a shield, rolling, spot dodging, utilting, usmashing, or uairing you.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I would play around with these combos, but it would be easier for you to just perform them and save a video to show us. The only thing i see being a problem is landing a footstool because opponents usually dont let you just get directly above them w/o pulling up a shield, rolling, spot dodging, utilting, usmashing, or uairing you.
U-air -> wait for airdodge -> footstool

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
These seem very situational at the moment, although they sound useful, were gonna need some vids to prove that this stuff works.

Isnt our best low-% combo Fthrow/Bthrow--->tippered Fsmash?
lol...

If this does work then very nice job =D

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Well this combo does 50+ damage if they DI badly and around 40-45 if they DI well. I'd call that the best marth combo. I'll try to get a vid right now.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
The video is uploading now. I wasn't able to get my ideal combo, and I forgot to record a dancing blade finish. In theory, you could do 5-6 jabs in a row to a dancing blade for a 60+ percent combo from 0, but its a pretty technical combo and it took about an hour just for me to get the muscle memory down to pull these 3 recorded ones off (plus my recorder lags the tv a little bit)....I'll edit the first post when its up :D

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Oh, I get it. Wow, you're a genius. I always use Uair to combo into Fair/Nair/other goodies, but never footstool. This is good stuff.

Let me explain what he's saying to those that don't get it.

Autocancelled Uair at low percents can combo into stuff. Instead of comboing it into an attack, quickly jump and footstool your opponent. This will send them crashing into the floor.

From here, use Dancing Blade once to kill your rising momentum quickly. Then fall with an untippered Fair. This will put them into a locked position on the ground.

Continue jab locking your opponent. Eventually they will escape this, since you'll have to walk slightly each time to keep performing the jab lock.

Then you can either do the onstage Fair -> Dair combo, or charge a Smash attack (both Usmash and Fsmash are good here), since your opponent will have to stand straight up.

fiction, have you tried taking them to like 30 or so percent, and then letting them stand to do another Uair -> footstool? If it's possible to link it to itself, we might get like 0 to 70 with this.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this yet.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Oh, I get it. Wow, you're a genius. I always use Uair to combo into Fair/Nair/other goodies, but never footstool. This is good stuff.

Let me explain what he's saying to those that don't get it.

Autocancelled Uair at low percents can combo into stuff. Instead of comboing it into an attack, quickly jump and footstool your opponent. This will send them crashing into the floor.

From here, use Dancing Blade once to kill your rising momentum quickly. Then fall with an untippered Fair. This will put them into a locked position on the ground.

Continue jab locking your opponent. Eventually they will escape this, since you'll have to walk slightly each time to keep performing the jab lock.

Then you can either do the onstage Fair -> Dair combo, or charge a Smash attack (both Usmash and Fsmash are good here), since your opponent will have to stand straight up.

fiction, have you tried taking them to like 30 or so percent, and then letting them stand to do another Uair -> footstool? If it's possible to link it to itself, we might get like 0 to 70 with this.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this yet.
I thought of that but I don't know how high of a percent the combo works until. You guys can experiment with this. As for me, I'm off to find stuff with other chars :D. I should get into the smash lab or something XD. Vids are almost done

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I need a vid on a human opponent, to see if DI or resposnes can affect the desired results. Good stuff nonetheless.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
bengals you have no idea what fiction is talking about do you?

read pierce's post carefully >_>
I read it, and saw the vid.

what im saying is:

uthrow, bait air dodge, footstool them in post airdodge lag, db to cancel momentum, ff fair, jab lock, fsmash

∫unk

Smash Master
you're still not getting what fiction meant by u-air >_>

falling u-air usually sets up for u-smash or u-tilt as a guaranteed combo at low percents so he's saying replace that with this

u-throw would be strictly worse and even at low percents that wouldn't work i've tried a lot of stuff with u-throw (ko potential and combo possibilities)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I read it, and saw the vid.

what im saying is:

uthrow, bait air dodge, footstool them in post airdodge lag, db to cancel momentum, ff fair, jab lock, fsmash
Thats the same thing but less damage since Uair does more damage than Uthrow.

Junk he knows he's just saying that you could substitute the Uthrow for the Uair. I think.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
you're still not getting what fiction meant by u-air >_>

falling u-air usually sets up for u-smash or u-tilt as a guaranteed combo at low percents so he's saying replace that with this

u-throw would be strictly worse and even at low percents that wouldn't work i've tried a lot of stuff with u-throw (ko potential and combo possibilities)
Yea I get that, but why I would I just restate the same thing he said? I'm trying to think of new ideas. And I don't see why it wouldn't work, I haven't tried it yet, but it should work similarly to an uair. Either way they are above you, and you are on the ground.

cman

Smash Ace
Uthrow would be a little safer of a set up, since, iirc, a blocked uair puts you in shield grab range for most characters. Arguing which is strictly better is dumb because they work in different situations though (assuming upthrow does actually work, which I do not know).

∫unk

Smash Master
no d-tilt doesn't keep them in the lock

and bengals... *loss of respect* ever since i got you into mbr you've said some dumb things

u-throw isn't going to work in the way you guys are thinking it might work when they come down

Hype

Smash Lord
Uthrow only combos into DS
Uair combo's into almost every move including footstool (I think)

Does that clear things up?

Great vid btw, that combo is sick.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
u-throw isn't going to work in the way you guys are thinking it might work when they come down
LMAO, I'm not implying that you footstool them on the way up, it would obviously have to be on the way down, or at the peak of their rise from the uthrow. It doesn't make sense to say "in the way that you guys are thinking" when you clearly don't know what I'm thinking. And uair would work better, I never denied that. But please, let's not rule anything out until we've tested them.

and bengals... *loss of respect* ever since i got you into mbr you've said some dumb things
What can I say, you can't expect me to be beautiful AND smart ^_^

∫unk

Smash Master
Read your own posts bengals you were implying on the way up because you're comparing it to u-air.

Seriously just stop acting arrogant and defensive you're making yourself look even more dumb.

To be on topic first hit n-air has much more potential.

Top Bottom