• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Tournament Strategy and Tips

g-regulate

Smash Hero
So if you are from my area you know that I've been playing Jiggs since the summertime (maybe?). I've been secretly lurking these boards (posting every now and then), practicing with my crew mates, and using her in tournaments, and I feel I've come far enough to share some of the things I've learned about playing a tourney-level Jigglypuff and bringing high level competitive experience to the Jiggs boards. These tips are mostly guidelines for an overall winning strategy, explaining when to use certain play styles and various tech tricks to your advantage. Frequenters of this board will be familiar with what I have to say, but everyone might find something new to add to their game so enjoy!

-Various Tech -

Learn to master various short hop aerial techniques to keep a good pressure game, as well some good full hop aerial techniques.
-SH bair to falling bair/uair. : spaced SH bair to falling bair is great for an aggressive opponent who tries to punish the first bair. Landing with Uair will also connect against these types, and often combos into grab at low %. nair also works.
-SH bair to air dodge : FF air dodging is the fastest way to reset Jiggs after an aerial. Also, Jiggs horizontal air dodge length is tremendous, and can often traverse behind your opponent or space yourself from him. SH bair into air dodge behind them is a great way to sneak a grab on a less aggressive shielding opponent. SH bair into air dodge is also the fastest way to throw out a Dash attack as quick as possible. Try using Forward and Down on the Cstick to dash-attack the moment you land (Cstick is better than A because it prevents accidental Fsmashes), to take advantage of the dash attack’s large, fast, and somewhat strong hitbox (KO move in later %).
SH Dair to grab: Amazing tech, this works almost flawlessly on everyone when performed correctly. If your opponent shields your dair, you can merely back away and try something else. When they realize you are grabbing out of dairs, they will almost always start dodging to avoid the grab when they are able to. If you notice they are consistently dodging when you dair, time a rest or Fair, or delay your grab accordingly.
When on the ledge, if you jump up (not ledgehop, but just press jump), you can act immediately after you are above the ledge. You can complete a jumping dair into falling bair before you land from the ledge jump when done correctly.

-Things to Know-

-Grabbing: I cannot stress enough how good Jigglypuffs grabs are at racking damage. There are tons of ways to land a grab, like bair to air dodge behind them, or SH dair to grab. Remember that Jiggs grab-punch does 3-4% damage per hit, plus an additional 9-11% per throw, meaning comboing into a grab can make for a large amount of damage. example, a dair into grab, 2 punches, into thow, can rack around 25-30%, all within a simple combo. Utilizing grabs at over 100% lets you punch more with less chance of your opponent escaping, combined with throws racks up necessary damage for easy Fair kills.

-Resting!!
I was terrible pulling rests off and I had omitted from even trying to use it because of the risks, but I see there is a thread entirely devoted to rests so you may want to go there for information on actually landing the rest. However, the best and most consistent way to pull of a rest in my experience has been to do it when people roll into you. example: keeping pressure on an opponent with bairs and fairs, keep moving forward with your attacks, like you are on the offensive. Sometimes Dash attack knocks them to the ground, and chase after them. This makes opponents tend to roll into you, because they think you are chasing them. Merely hold down at a reasonable roll distance, react to the inside roll, and press B. This is the only way I’ve gotten rests to work consistently, minus gimme rests from laggy moves, (various upB landing lags and other laggy moves.), and the ever risky powershield to rest. REMEMBER to only rest when you A. Know the correct % that rest will kill, and B. When you are at a low enough % to not be killed. (I prefer under 10%).

-Rollout
Rollout is a good recovery option, you can aim for the stage, platforms, or a ledge autograb. It is punishable by smart people so be wary of overusing it. You cannot change direction in the air, but you CAN hold the other direction and you will slow down and turn around upon landing. You still use up roll power while slowing down, so if done at the right height and time of rollout, you will essentially slow down in midair and stop upon landing. You can also act out of rollout while ending in the air, so if you rollout into someone’s shield, don’t hesitate to simply go off the ledge to avoid being punished. It has great KO power, but if someone is over a decent kill %, remember that you won’t need a full charge rollout to kill people. If you are close to them and start a rollout, they may try to time an attack or shield when you get there, but not using the full charge will beat them to the punch. Also remember, rollout is GREAT for picking off the unsuspecting in teams!!!

-Pound
Pound is an all around great move to just use whenever. Although the hitbox stays out a while, it has decent lag time so don’t use it enough that people will expect it. Pound can kill people at higher % near the top of the screen, so chase people up high if you knock them up there. Continue to do aerials once pound is complete, such as pound to falling uair (delay uair if they air dodge), as it lets you hover somewhat upon ending.

-Caution
Players will pick up on your tricks, so remember to stockpile information and not make the same mistakes more than once. Good players will catch onto my aerial tricks, like my barrage of offensive bairs, and try to merely shield my aerial into their own attack while I am near them (marth fair, DDD utilt, snake utilt etc.). When you see this happen, try doing more empty short hops! Your opponent will try to counter your attack by waiting in shield, so throw in an empty short hop and just land and grab. the Empty short hops mixed in with the real attacks will keep your opponent guessing and force him to change up his game.

-Switch up your Style
Alternating between a pressure game and a grab game, and knowing when to do so, is the only way to have a consistently dominant Jiggs. Rests and edgeguards are great killers but are very hard to pull off consistently, so your number 1 priority and main strategy should be to rack up damage fast and Fair or dash attack (best killers with minimum risk IMO). Fresh fair DDD at around 140% and he’ll likely die, and it’s way lower % for everyone else according to weight, and even lower % when they are off the stage to the end of the screen. You want to master her aerial mobility horizontally, always going in and out, or landing behind them (never land in front to avoid shield grab and other punishment). Remember that Jiggs has an amazing grab range, especially her running grab which seems to slide forward. Chasing people in the air, especially off the edge, forces people out of their comfort zone and makes people air dodge. Keeping up this pressure will force the air dodge and other habits that you can take advantage of. When you can realize the pattern, it lets you put moves in correct spots to take advantage, and if they air dodge into the ground near you, this opens up the grab game. example: When you knock someone off the edge, chase them with fairs. When you get close, find the spot where you can either Fair him, or fast fall Fair the spot where he air dodges. If you can cover both bases, then this is a trap for your opponent that he must find another way out of. When you are on the stage, and people fall from above, bair and fair them to force a defensive maneuver. Falling uairs are also a great psuedo-juggler when people air dodge into the ground. When you notice a pattern of air dodges or falling aerials, punish with the grab, punch(es), and throw (13-19% damage depending on punches). Uthrow forces them back into the air, and the process can repeat. Bthrow can put them off the edge, and the process can repeat. When they get used to your grab tricks, merely go back to an aggressive aerial game and force them to adjust. The key is forcing them to make a choice and being able to react to cover all options.

That’s all I can think of right now, Thanks for bearing with me. As I said I’m sure many of you already know a lot of what I’m saying but hopefully I could be of some use to some people. Sometime I’ll record my jiggs in action to show some of the things I teach.

Veril

Frame Savant
reserved for a response to the rest stuff and maybe some other contributions.

I'm so glad when threads like this get posted!

I have the frame data for a number of rolls posted in the rest thread:
-GW's roll is terrible and very easy to rest btw

-Resting!!
I was terrible pulling rests off and I had omitted from even trying to use it because of the risks, but I see there is a thread entirely devoted to rests so you may want to go there for information on actually landing the rest. However, the best and most consistent way to pull of a rest in my experience has been to do it when people roll into you.

REMEMBER to only rest when you A. Know the correct % that rest will kill, and B. When you are at a low enough % to not be killed. (I prefer under 10%).
One of the best ways to land rest is to get hit... in the right way.

A. You should only play Jigglypuff if you know those %.
B. This varies from character to character. A LOT. Nobody can KO at 10% though (on final D at least).

PND

Smash Champion
This.

This is exactly how I play, this is exactly how she should be played. The Bar -> FFBair is also great as a brickwall that can be advanced or retreated at will.

EDIT: I'm just glad G-reg can see the light of Jigglypuff. Out of curiosity, what do you feel about the whole 3rd worst fiasco? (I know you voted her higher) Unseen potential and little representation, or garbage character and delusional fan base?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
This should be the link we give to new members. This is simple, and isn't overwhelming. Thanks G :D

The part about resting when you know you won't die helped me a ton. I never rest. Ever.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
Unseen potential and little representation, or garbage character and delusional fan base?
When a whole bunch of back roomers don't invest equal time with every character, create their own tier lists, and average them all together, you aren't going to get an accurate representation of everyone. IMO the better characters are only a little bit better overall than the lower tiers, they are just way easier to pick up and require much less patience and practice to develop a winning strategy. That's why skilled players often don't bother with them, because they can win tourneys with higher tiers without investing more time than they need to. I think brawl is way less broken than melee, and anyone can beat almost anyone with the right strategy and mindset. Just need the mindgames.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
thats why i say its punishable by smart people so be wary of overusing it in the following sentence.

man, this post is jigglypuff gold. you better all be placing top 5 at your respective tournaments soon!

rinoH

Smash Lord
nice read g-regulate i actually play alot like that though i mix in some ground game too

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i dont see jiggs in any top 5 in tourney results threads!!!! time to step it up!! the secrets are all here.....

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Oh man.

Seriously, man.

I could not have typed this better. This is like, the best single post a character sub-forum has ever gotten. G-Reg just single-handedly explained an entire character. G-reg knows exactly what he is sayign guys. Dash attack = Amazing and Reliable KO move. Grabs = Tons of Damage. Dair -> Grab = Even More Damage.

I actually recover with Rollout alot, depending on the matchup. I charge at the off-screen threshold and try to recover high. Often I will intentionally go off the other side, as long as I touched a platform to reset jumps.

What I've been working on lately is using u-tilt to KO people who obsessively dodge all my fairs but keep walking into bairs. (and thus get 150%+) In trying to avoid dash attacks, they try to land behind you when on the ground; f-tilt also works for this purpose.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I actually recover with Rollout alot, depending on the matchup.
I use rollout recovery often, but I am careful against some characters. I rarely go for the edge, because it's pretty hard to grab from a rollout.

Never rollout recover on yoshi's island!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Hmmm?

I think grabbing the edge with rollout is really simple to time, and this is coming from someone who does NOT have good tech skill of any sort. The reason you shouldn't do it is because that's what people will expect you to do; everyone can gimp rollout to some degree, but not if they didn't expect you to recover to the OTHER side of the stage...

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Hmmm?

I think grabbing the edge with rollout is really simple to time, and this is coming from someone who does NOT have good tech skill of any sort. The reason you shouldn't do it is because that's what people will expect you to do; everyone can gimp rollout to some degree, but not if they didn't expect you to recover to the OTHER side of the stage...
Well it is sort of risky to do because you need to be just under the edge. You can't grab it from the top of under that. If you are far enough out and try this you may soon get a face full of palm.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
I have never played Jiggs before but i have one question, I heard from a friend that the rest has some use, is it true that u can dair certain characters and use rest?

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I have never played Jiggs before but i have one question, I heard from a friend that the rest has some use, is it true that u can dair certain characters and use rest?
Yes, but it is only a combo if they trip. It works well regardless, and it's the best way to land rest along with veril's rest cancels.

In melee it was a combo.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The very first match I played in Brawl was a tourney match as Jigglypuff at GDC on Castle Siege. First stock I was hit off the stage while testing out my aerials and I recovered by rollout to the left edge.

It's incredibly easy, the window to grab the edge is huge.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
G-reg uses Jiggz?

Anyway, great guide. This is the simplest guide of any usefullness I've seen. It puts it straight and simple.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
The very first match I played in Brawl was a tourney match as Jigglypuff at GDC on Castle Siege. First stock I was hit off the stage while testing out my aerials and I recovered by rollout to the left edge.

It's incredibly easy, the window to grab the edge is huge.
I didn't say it was hard, I said it is risky. But ill try a bit more.

Maybe it's just my shy-guy phobia.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
PND posting:

I should have specified. . . when you rollout to the edge, the opponent can just grab the edge, then you bounce off helplessly, which is why it's always better to rollout recover high.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i think people trying to hit you out of rollout can be equally risky, although some characters have really easy counters to rollout (marth/ike counter, bowser/charizard flame breath, various projectiles, etc.), so be wary of those tactics. (in marth/ikes case, you can just turn around right before you hit them, because that makes you go through them and delay the landing blow) if you are going for the ledge with rollout, and you noticed that your opponent wants to steal the ledge, just release earlier and go across the screen. People will often purposefully get hit by rollout off the stage, so you fall to your death, so try to rollout much higher above the stage, so if you do hit them, you can still DI back on.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I've been punished too many times while trying to Rollout recover to an edge. I always recover high and reverse directions when I hit the stage.

TheStig

Smash Lord
nice guide, i need to dair to grab more often. i have trouble doing this, sometimes i land it other times not. how can i do this more consistently?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
try working on your tech. i personally will just run up, hold down and flick my thumb over the Y and A buttons in one motion. practice to get the feel for the motion, so that you can consistently short hop, that the timing of Y and A is good enough that the down aerial comes out JUST as you start your jump. This enables the aerial to finish before you land, therefore autocanceling and enabling you to get the grab before they can react.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
a friend of mine wants to use Jiggly but I cant really help him much cause I've never used her. can u post really good high lvl play with Jiggly G-regulate?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
In due time my dear friends, in due time.

Well, April anyway. It's only two months away now. Her Majesty will get some long-deserved NC recognition.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Yeah, no. I can only "strut my stuff" in online tournaments, which don't really mean a whole lot. :[

SR-71

Smash Apprentice
sure it does! at least in the middle of nowhere, where nobody plays Brawl :[

awesome post. the Empty short-hop-to-grab idea sounds like a great idea. gotta stay unpredictable.
maybe some ideas for stage CPs could help. I personally like Norfair

illinialex24

Smash Hero
sure it does! at least in the middle of nowhere, where nobody plays Brawl :[

awesome post. the Empty short-hop-to-grab idea sounds like a great idea. gotta stay unpredictable.
maybe some ideas for stage CPs could help. I personally like Norfair
Not for tier lists whatsoever. Go win locals and larger regionals and if you can win a national, she's getting bumped up.

Hence

Smash Ace
Not for tier lists whatsoever. Go win locals and larger regionals and if you can win a national, she's getting bumped up.
I can't see Jigglypuff above low-mid tier.
If someone manages to pull off a major tournament top 3 only using Jigglypuff, she will definitely be heading up. Especially if "That ****'s on tape." :chuckle:

Veril

Frame Savant
I live in the middle of nowhere as well and I hate wifi. I found all the kids who played smash and eventually the more hardcore among them formed a pretty decent little group. I made a scene instead of playing that crap-a** wifi.

Nobody cares that much about locals. I don't even bother mentioning them. Though...

I'm gonna start going to Brooklyn weeklies. The competition there is... well Bum is there, nuff said. If I beat Bum, I'll let you guys know (not likely lol).

The next big tourney held within a 3-hour drive of me I'll attend. And I play to win... with Jiggs.

I can't see Jigglypuff above low-mid tier.
I can.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
I'm not the type of person who create a smash community.

Anyway, isn't the only thing keeping Jiggs so horribly low on the tier list a lack of tournament results? Like, most Jiggs can overcome the light weight and lack of projectiles, and the only real death matchups are G&W and Oli.

IMO, a bunch of good tournament placements would be enough to at least get Jiggs out of G tier. Tell me if I'm wrong, though.

Glick

Smash Lord
I live in the middle of nowhere as well and I hate wifi. I found all the kids who played smash and eventually the more hardcore among them formed a pretty decent little group. I made a scene instead of playing that crap-a** wifi.

Nobody cares that much about locals. I don't even bother mentioning them. Though...

I'm gonna start going to Brooklyn weeklies. The competition there is... well Bum is there, nuff said. If I beat Bum, I'll let you guys know (not likely lol).

The next big tourney held within a 3-hour drive of me I'll attend. And I play to win... with Jiggs.

I can.
Which one? I didn't even know they had brooklyn weeklies. I'm starting to host smashfests at my house. you're invited if your in the neighborhood.

Veril

Frame Savant
Which one? I didn't even know they had brooklyn weeklies. I'm starting to host smashfests at my house. you're invited if your in the neighborhood.
They had them. I'm confused as to if they were discontinued. I suspect that I may have gotten bad info.

I'd be totally down for a smashfest. PM me the info please :)

Top Bottom