• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unleashing the Egg: NEW Controller Setups Video is DONE!!!!!!!!

Airborne

Smash Lord
Want to learn to play as Yoshi? The right way??? Well, "Unleashing the Egg" is the right series for you! Covering all the ground rules, from controller setups to character match-ups, from draconic joggin' to noggin' floggin', we're going to show you every pixel that makes up yoshi in order to become the best! You just need to put forth all that effort! As Sonic and Burntsocks say, "C'mon! Step it up!"

Controller Setups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3AliyBKGGY
THE NEW CONTROLLER SETUP VIDEO IS DONE. ^^^ :028:
The following setups are going have pros and cons for each:

Common Setup:
Changes: Turn 'Tap Jump' Off, Change 'L' to 'Jump'
Pros: Makes Egg Toss Slide easy to perform
Cons: Too Simple for such a complicated character! =P
Notes: 'L' and 'R' are interchangeable

Common Setup with Tap Jump:
Changes: Keep 'Tap Jump' On, Change 'L' to 'Jump'
Pros: Allows Egg Toss Slide, as well as Draconic Reverse AND Draconic Trotting to be easier
Cons: You may initiate and then cancel your second jump when attempting to return to the stage due to Egg Toss
Notes: Was used by some weird people... not recommended unless you can egg toss without intiating a second jump.

THE BEAST SETUP!!!:
Changes: Turn 'Tap Jump' Off, Change 'B' to 'Jump', 'X' to 'Special', 'L' to 'Attack'/'Grab'
Pros: Makes any yoshi-exclusive "Advanced Technique" within your grasp, comfortable after hours of practice and getting used to, CAN be used for other characters
Cons: Takes A LOT of time to used to, especially for you X-Jumpers...
Notes: IT'S THE MUTHA F***IN' BEAST!!!

THE WANNABEAST?!?!: :yoshi:
Changes: Turn 'Tap Jump' Off, Change 'A' to 'Jump', 'B' to 'Attack', 'Y' to 'Special', 'L' to 'Jump'
Pros: Helps those impairing X-jumpers with the beast setup, and allows the same simple use for Egg Toss Slide, could possibly help those losers that only use gamecube for DBZ: Budokai (lol)
Cons: Awkward input for Draconic Reverse (X-A-B), awkward in general
Notes: It's worth testing, so pick it up for a few days or a week if you have nothing better to do, and see how it does with everything

Nul's "WTF?!?!" Setup:
Changes: Keep 'Tap Jump' On, Change 'L' to 'Special', 'C-Stick' to 'Special', 'Y' to 'Shield', 'Side D-Pad' to 'Attack', 'Down D-Pad' to 'Shield'
Pros: Allows for sudden change of style once you've got it down
Cons: Comfortable for probably only Nul and people with small enough hands to have 2 on the left side of the controller
Notes: It's the actual 1st use of the D-Pad I've seen, so it's unique...

:yoshi2: Yoshi Basic Pros and Cons
The following are the basic characteristics of yoshi compared to the rest of the cast. Props go to Scatz, Metatitan, and Elefterios.

Pros:
>Unique character that isn't seen often, leaving some opponents unexpected
>Good Air Speed and Control of Air Momentum allow a "Better Air Game" (to an extent)
>Freakin' Eggs
>The Pivot Grab makes him
>Lengthy Spot Dodge with little space for opponent to punish
>Loaded with mindgames of sorts
>Only character able to "Wavedash" in Brawl
>Super Armor on Second Jump
>Shield can't be "pierced"
>Tech chases decently well

Cons:
>Very small choice of shield games
>Terrible dodge roll (Terrible to begin with, but hey)
>Unable to jump out of shield
>Standing/Shielding Grabs very ineffective due to heavy startup lag
>Very short range (considerably short in the air)
>Returning to the stage is generally an issue
>Camping may be much of an asset for Proshis, producing boredom
>Low killing power
>Bad Air Acceleration
>No priority below yoshi in the air, preventing air camping as well
>Grounded Blindspot, which is barely covered by utilt and the angled ftilt

I will try to have the vids up by friday at the latest. The following ones will have to wait due to senior year consuming my fun time. T-T

:002: + :006: + :007: = :yoshi:

bigman40

Smash Master
subscribed.....

Edit: Now that I think about this, you could've looked in the controls thread to get all the setups that people use. I completely forgot that it was there, so I never mentioned it to you. Well, if you feel like making a second one, then you could do it with a few more setups (I think I counted about 4-6 more. And about 3-4 more are on Classic controller) but it's your call.

Airborne

Smash Lord
subscribed.....

Edit: Now that I think about this, you could've looked in the controls thread to get all the setups that people use. I completely forgot that it was there, so I never mentioned it to you. Well, if you feel like making a second one, then you could do it with a few more setups (I think I counted about 4-6 more. And about 3-4 more are on Classic controller) but it's your call.
yeah, i noticed that too... i think the controls are basically just L and R, or X and Y switched.... and i'm not doing CC b/c like i said in the video, some tournaments only allow GC controller.
i guess i could do another one for Classic Controller, but i don't even own one! XD

Chaco

Never Logs In
*subscribed*

You definitely need to do a tutorial on application of techs.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
hey good idea Airborne!
i was thinking about making a video for Yoshi maybe showing ETS like the Sheik DACUS one i did but maybe i could just help u...
if u need a 3D GCN controller model animation for any controls demonstration let me know!

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
It sound very good dude best sound quality i heard for any tutorial video
the video quality is also impressive keep them vids coming up
hey heres an idea lets say your going to post a vid lets say like fiday of next week
how bout you post here the Topic its going to be about like

Tutorial ep1, Control Set Up
Tutorial ep2, Yoshi´s moves
Tutorial ep3, Set ups or Combo Links
Tutorial ep4, Recovering and Proper Di
Tutorial ep5, Match-Ups

before you make the vid we help you out with our own opinions so not just you cover everything
but also cover a few things maybe one of us knew, that maybe we are *shy* or tought it was *dumb*
to suggest with enough practice maybe they can have uses for certain situaitons
so how bout it Airborne is this a good idea or em i on drugs too? XD
still great work dude keep it up

PS: What a messed up Control you have Scatz i would like to see a video recording of
you playing with that XD

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
Changing the L-button for jumping. I never thought of that lol. Pretty cool since i rarely use L for shields anyway.

bigman40

Smash Master
PS: What a messed up Control you have Scatz i would like to see a video recording of
you playing with that XD
xD I knew people would say that. I'm probably going to record a training session showing me play with that setup and with the Classic controller setup this weekend.

Airborne

Smash Lord
It sound very good dude best sound quality i heard for any tutorial video
the video quality is also impressive keep them vids coming up
hey heres an idea lets say your going to post a vid lets say like fiday of next week
how bout you post here the Topic its going to be about like

Tutorial ep1, Control Set Up
Tutorial ep2, Yoshi´s moves
Tutorial ep3, Set ups or Combo Links
Tutorial ep4, Recovering and Proper Di
Tutorial ep5, Match-Ups

before you make the vid we help you out with our own opinions so not just you cover everything
but also cover a few things maybe one of us knew, that maybe we are *shy* or tought it was *dumb*
to suggest with enough practice maybe they can have uses for certain situaitons
so how bout it Airborne is this a good idea or em i on drugs too? XD
still great work dude keep it up

you playing with that XD
yeah i was going to do that, but i'm not too sure of what i'm going to do next... i'll be making quite a few videos, going as in-depth as possible to help as much as i can. and i'm trying to get quotes from people because i'm obviously not even close to the best. i will need help explaining things; after all, i will be learning from these too! ^.^
and dyz, we're all on drugs for playing yoshi. it's just that scatz is on the good stuff. XD

hey good idea Airborne!
i was thinking about making a video for Yoshi maybe showing ETS like the Sheik DACUS one i did but maybe i could just help u...
if u need a 3D GCN controller model animation for any controls demonstration let me know!
thanks. i might need that actually, but i think i might need to just do a side-by-side camera view of my controller in my hands and the video at the same time in order to show at what speed certain things need to be input...

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Well Airborne if you need any help you can count on me to help ^_^ just like you
i will be learning a few tricks i didnt knew about Yoshi, just get any idea of what the next vid
should be and lets run with it, you may take that Tutorial Eps, i did above me or change up
the order in importance the point of each episode is to start with basics and then follow up to
Advance moves for Yoshi and then the most important Knowing your chances of survival

you may know everything about Yoshi but theres nothing good with it if you dont
know how to use it in battle, thats what we need to aim for to both show them the moves
they can use and how to apply them succesfuly in any Match-Up
i also *susCribed* XD so hope to see more ^_^

Airborne

Smash Lord
Just subscribed to it. Hope this gets a sticky as well.
thanks, but i think a lot of the yoshis would get upset about hearing another thing being stickied xD. it probably just needs to go in the unofficial thread thread once i get on a streak with the series.... this one had quite a few mistakes...... scatz and meta know what i'm talking about XD

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wat to give Clutch credit for my controls. He doesn't even play Yoshi anymore. True facts DL played him.

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok im thinking about two videos done a week in order to get the boring crap that us veterans hear about all the time.... who thinks yoshi basics (weight, speed, range, CBR, lolz, etc...) is a good second/first (i may change the order.....) video?

Chaco

Never Logs In
im sorry... T-T i am not completely confident on how to pronounce your name (XD) and i did this at 2 in the morning, so i wasn't thinking straight...
Like you would say Taco, but with a CH.

Peffico

Smash Rookie
ok im thinking about two videos done a week in order to get the boring crap that us veterans hear about all the time.... who thinks yoshi basics (weight, speed, range, CBR, lolz, etc...) is a good second/first (i may change the order.....) video?
Might be for the best just don't burn yourself out on it.

Oh 1 more thing *subscribed* :p

.Marik

is a social misfit
Subscribed to show fellow Yoshi's some love. <3 :yoshi:

Now that I think of it, I'm also going to subscribe to all the other important threads as well.

Chaco

Never Logs In
LOL that's how someone on the live feed of the MK ban said my name.

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok i'm going to try to get the video up tomorrow, but i have some **** going on right now:
1)2 projects due by monday.... one in english and one in spanish.... opposite sides of the spectrum...
2)Realizing how much my life sucks because every single one of my friends is doing something successful and/or has a girlfriend/boyfriend that they just can't live without and we're in ****ing high school...
3)not winning a single match of any game in the past two weeks....
4)living in the shadow of another trumpet player who is one of my best friends and was also selected as a semi-finalist for the National Trumpet Competition...
I'm thinking i might just have to delay this video for another week.... I could probably get 2 or 3 done since i'm obviously not doing anything on v-day... i'll try, but i have writer's block to the extreme and i have to type a paper this weekend... sorry =\

Chaco

Never Logs In
ok i'm going to try to get the video up tomorrow, but i have some **** going on right now:
1)2 projects due by monday.... one in english and one in spanish.... opposite sides of the spectrum...
2)Realizing how much my life sucks because every single one of my friends is doing something successful and/or has a girlfriend/boyfriend that they just can't live without and we're in ****ing high school...
4)living in the shadow of another trumpet player who is one of my best friends and was also selected as a semi-finalist for the National Trumpet Competition...
I'm thinking i might just have to delay this video for another week.... I could probably get 2 or 3 done since i'm obviously not doing anything on v-day... i'll try, but i have writer's block to the extreme and i have to type a paper this weekend... sorry =\
Make a dedication video to Chaco.

<3

Make it say stuff like "the sexiest Yoshi user by far"

Gindler

Smash Champion
V-day sucks just as much if not more when you have a gf/bf. Sooooo expensive. Just thought you could use that horribly true fact :embarrass

On another note. Looking forward to that next video! :)

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Airborne i knew something bad was happening when you posted that comment, dude your bad playing is cause to the stressful times your going trough right now, the same happen to my Friend pidgey
once these things clear out you can get back into your game read the post i left to
Shiri in his topic *Grabing Sucks in Brawl*
also first things first man finish most of your pending work that your school gave you man
get that Huge weight out of your back, 2nd how the heck you think i feel for this V-day
im going to be 19 years old and i still got nothing to love on that bloody day
dont let this affect you man 14 of Feb, doesnt always mean about having a GF it also
consist of Friendship and Family, hopefully one of these will keep your mind busy

oh and abound Band...well i really cant give advice there, anything i learn in life is that
theres always someone better than you at anything, but hey dont stop trying to be the best
because for many oyur pretty dam good and i dont doubt it
so take it easy Airborne finish your homework first, once all this extra weight of stress is gone
work on your game remember the 1st rule of maining yoshi

Kindess and Happynes is what Yoshi is all about, if you dont have this
then you cant Main Yoshi

our strenght relies on our state of mood avoid playing when that mood is negative alright?
and take aslong as you want Airborne on those videos there is no rush ^_^
hope this helps man take care

Airborne

Smash Lord
'kay that's to self righteous.

Maybe just add my name in the video randomly.

Have it flash Chaco briefly.
i will chaco.... i will....

and thanks for the advice dyz, but i think my problem is is that i have no way to vent my stress, and my mind is trying to slow down my reaction speed and stuff to try to relax... but yeah, i'm just worrying about posting these vids b/c i don't want this thread to die... =\ i want to be successful in helping yoshis out in some way...

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
i will chaco.... i will....

and thanks for the advice dyz, but i think my problem is is that i have no way to vent my stress, and my mind is trying to slow down my reaction speed and stuff to try to relax... but yeah, i'm just worrying about posting these vids b/c i don't want this thread to die... =\ i want to be successful in helping yoshis out in some way...
Don't worry about this thread dieing, I'll bump it up every day if I need to because I feel that this thread can really be something special to help yoshi's out. Just relax and get yourself together. This will come in time.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Don't worry about this thread dieing, I'll bump it up every day if I need to because I feel that this thread can really be something special to help yoshi's out. Just relax and get yourself together. This will come in time.
thanks. =) i think i'm possibly getting over this slump, but i still feel weird.... maybe it will turn out to be beneficial...

Chaco

Never Logs In
Lol I can't wait to see my name flashed, lolol.

Top Bottom