• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck(ed), and in some sense, I still do. But I got better...

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Original link: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=11932

(Part One: )

Late January, 2008: Brawl is released in Japan and Nakayorz gets a copy, I set out to play at his house. Due to his unwillingness to play through SSE, for the first week or 2 we only had the default roster + marth. Due to this being a new game and all of my mains in melee either being changed or removed, I decided to try a character that was new to brawl. After playing both dedede and ike for a few days, I watch a number of matches between Griever and Drago, and some of Kirk's earlier matches and finally decide on ike (silly, huh?) because I figure I wasn't very good at melee anyway and I needed a slow character to ease into it. My reasoning was: if I can make a slow character fast, then I as a player would have also gotten faster.

February, 2008: No items, Ike Only, Final Destination. My intent was clear, I was going to get good at this game, and the first step was getting faster. The problem first though was where to start? I knew very well that I wasn't good at all, and I needed an idea of what to work on. Well who better to ask than the 2 people that inspired me to pick up Ike. First I tried Griever.

You probably get a ton of random messages but I have a couple of questions regarding Ike

I've been playing with mostly ike (and now wolf I suppose) since I
picked the game up but even so it feels like I'm not remotely as fast
as the videos are showing, it seems like there's a cancel frame where
you can link other moves/tilts after his side B but it's before the end
of the actual animation of the move. Is this the case? If so it would
probably help me clear a lot of space between myself and characters
that tend to zone a lot and would help with my speed with the character.
That's right, I didn't know how quick draw worked, which was a shame because I whored the hell out of that move like nobody's business, thinking that as the name implied, it would make me quicker.

Short story shorter: I got no response. It's cool, as the title of the PM implied, I was sure he was bogged down with silly *** questions all the time. Luckily a friend of mine who lives in vegas that played ike informed me that you could act quickly out of quick draw's animation if you actually aim to not hit with it. Well that's handy. Fine, so I have quick draw down, what else should I work on? The next video I had seen was titled "moonwalking". All it really was was a video demonstrating reverse aerial rush back airs. After a day (yes, a day...) of practice I finally got down how to edgeguard with rar back airs. After that though, I again had no idea where to go. My last PM to griever didn't work, but another try couldn't hurt, however this time I sent one to Kirk.

Hi, you probably get bombarded with messages but I thought I'd try

Dear Kirk,
I just wanted to say that your Ike rocks. I've been trying to learn as much as possible from your great vids but I think I'm missing something from my aerial game. I've got some videos of matches at Nakayorz's channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTywSP2wlrQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYeGBbcAl4Y

If you get a chance if you could look at my vid and maybe offer some advice on using my air attacks on the ground more often? I tend to try to fast fall to lower the delay but I short hop a lot so sometimes the move just doesnt come out when I do both, though in some vids I see people time it rather well. I'd appreciate it.

looking forward to hearing from you
Best Regards,
Ryko (Aegis)
If you want to save yourself 9 minutes: A summary of the videos was that I knew how to RAR Bair but I didn't know how to use fair, nair, or jab, lol. An alternative summary is that I rolled too much and for all intents and purposes, sucked pretty badly.

Not expecting a reply, I was surprised to find a message in my inbox.

Re: Hi, you probably get bombarded with messages but I thought I'd try

Your moves are very predictable overall. Especially when it comes to Counter...you used that WAY too much. Try not to rely on this move as a defense. You WILL get punished for it. Try either Airdodging/spotdodging or counter with an aerial attack of you're own. If you can see you're opponent coming in for an attack, why not get a more powerful attack off instead of a weak and risky counter? Also, dodging Din's Fire is the better option rather than countering, because of the less recovery time afterwards.

You need to mix up you're approaches more. More than half time you dash attacked. Mix it up with some spaced Fairs or Nairs. I saw many time's where you could have AAA for some free damage. It's Ike's quickest and one of his most useful attacks. Try more mindgames and catching your opponent with some well timed Fairs(it's got a lot of range so use that to your advantage.) Nair is a good spacing option since it covers a lot of space and it has low lag upon landing. Combo it with other attacks at lower percents to get some nice damage.

I didn't see you use Ftilt once during the entire two matches. This is a great spacing move, and powerful at that. Learning to space and time this move will be a great asset. I also saw you miss a lot of grabs after you spotdodged something. If you notice this happening, instead of grabbing, go for an AAA or a Ftilt. They are just as fast but have more range to actually connect.

Good use of Bair edgeguarding and UpSmashing. I would have liked to see you use Fsmash mindgames though :D (time it so you're opponent runs into it). Ike is all about predicting you're opponent and punishing them, because all of his attacks punish SO well.

I hope this was helpful and not hurtful in anyway...haven't done too many critiques in my life hehe. Good luck in your many Ike endeavors.

--Kirk
Well alright! Not only did I get a response, I got a pointed and detalied one at that, exactly the type of response I needed to get started. Day one I worked on learning how to use fair. Day 2 I did the same thing with nair, and on day 3 I worked on trying to learn how to use jab correctly as a poke/setup instead of just mashing A 3 times. With only a week to the NA launch tournament at best buy, I went over to naks's house pretty much every day to practice. The weekend before the tournament I play a friend of mine (Andrew) who regularly trounced my *** with marth in melee, I figured with a month+ of practice and him jumping in cold I'd finally have a chance against him. He 2 stocked me about 8 times in a row, I was dejected. Oh well, back to practicing.

March, 2008: Getting in line at 3AM in front of best buy, I meet players from around the tri-state area that also wanted to make sure they had their chance at a crystal wii. It rained like 5 times that day, my shoes were soaked, my hands were cold, all in all it was more of an accomplishment to be there for the whole time than it was getting however far I was going to get. About mid-way through the afternoon though some people I hadn't seen all day just walk up to the front of the line with the reasoning that someone had been holding their spot, well that seemed a little unfair but who cares really, I'm still pretty much within the first 20 to get in. In my time on the line I got to speak to people and only later did I get their names. D1, Dire Vulcan, Hellfox, and Wes. They seemed nice enough, it was cool to talk to people who knew more about this game. We finally get into the tournament and my first round is against some Asian chick who played gold Ike. I beat her soundly and in round 2 I get put up against D1. Ike vs Dedede, we agree to not touch the items that spawned and just went at it. I took him to last stock but still lost pretty badly. All in all it was fun, I bought a wii and brawl that night and went home to practice on my own.

Funny tidbit: Speaking to Triforce that day, he said the clock in stock matches was stupid because what was to prevent people from taking a stock with someone like meta knight then just run/fly away for the rest of the match? That's right plank, you were pre-empted.

Some play on wifi with my friend andrew showed me that my ike still had nothing on his marth, this was frustrating. Was I really just that bad? Later that month naks and I went to boston to play with some of his friends and I was informed by a falco player that ike was just cheap, and that all the practice naks and I had up to this point made the game unfair. God I loved brawl during launch.

Even later that month A friend of naks's from rochester came down to play and I got to fight the first marth I'd had seen since my friend Andrew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dru22SLZD14

The matches went well, so I knew I had come along somewhat since I first picked up the game. Kirk's second point of advice (that I had gotten from a conversation he had with naks) that we were so worried about getting hit that we were making ourselves predictable forced us to get more aggressive and cut our match times from 6-8 minutes down to 4-6, some actually being short enough to save as replays, fun.

April 2008: Discussion with Kirk, Dark Musician, and Silven tell me that Ike vs Zelda is a 65-35 in zelda's favor, a ratio that I viewed in my head as "unwinnable" (later I come to find out that the world:ike is a 65-35 matchup so it held much less weight eventually). That didn't seem right at all, maybe it felt that way because it was essentially the only matchup I knew like the back of my hand. Naks, not wanting to hear that jive talk, told me to go play hylian hellfire, a zelda clan on smashboards. After playing quite a number of their members I finally got to try a few games with Ryokoyaksa. I did horribly, rather pathetically against him the first few games we played. Annoyed with my performance I left and came back later, asking to play him again. Despite his being a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better player than I could hope to be at the time, I fared much better than I had the first time, taking quite a number of games. Ryoko was the first established player to say something I didn't expect: "I don't see why anyone would even try this matchup as zelda, it's stupidly hard and ike outdoes her in every aspect that matters". Then he hit down B...

Long story short: Ike vs sheik is dumb stupid ******** crazy annoying downright ****ing insanely haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard, especially when the sheik is way better than you.

Playing ryoko though set me along a new path: Recognizing my defensive habits and attempting to fix them. Every time I took a stock from him, he'd come back and do the exact same thing to me because I would roll straight into one of his killshots. Sliq pretty much mutilated me for the same reason and told me as much, that I should work on less predictable ways of defending myself.

From that day forward I cut rolling from my gameplay for about 7 months.

May, 2008: I head over to web2zone to see what the smash tournament scene is like. I see people I hadn't seen since march, the only one who actually remembered me was D1, which was cool. I sit trying to get next with Silven to see what the difference was in our gameplay. What I learned from those matches is that I didn't know how to approach effectively (I later come to find out that it's brawl and no one does) and that I do reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally stupid **** when I'm nervous. My first tournament match was against Emmy's lucario, I win barely on the neutral and my counterpick. My next set was against Vanz's dedede, I get 3 stocked so hard that he goes pokemon trainer on me for match 2 and still 3 stocks me. He had absolutely no idea it was even a tournament set, that's how bad it was. Not to be completely discouraged i try to go through loser's and I meet blackanese. He goes ice climbers on me match one and I win somehow, then match 2 he goes game and watch and beats the dog crap out of me for matches 2 and three. My first tournament experience ends succinctly, at least I got to meet some cool people.

2 weeks later I go back to web2zone and my first round is against blackanese again, he beats the crap out of me with the 2-D wonder yet again.

Since then, nothing's changed, I still can't beat him when he's game and watch.

Discouraged by my first few tournaments, I go back to playing naks and my friends for a while. Despite my poor performance, meeting and talking with players like Zro (who was extremely welcoming the few times I'd drop by for just friendlies) D1, Ninjalink and Blackanese actually had a visible effect on my gameplay, though I had no idea until I played my friend Andrew again and finally got to the point where I went even with him in matches, my first competitive brawl goal was accomplished.

I changed my Ike color to red (sorry silven) and I set on learning how to approach and be more aggressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYCON0TnSY

(To be continued.)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
hurray story :D, maybe we should have a story thread lol...

Nice to see how you progressed. Lol, makes me want to tell my story... although it'll be different and about converting wifi to offline only.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Lol, cool story. xD

I feel like I haven't improved in Brawl at all.

I still suck. ;-;

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Part two: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=11992

June, 2008: "Ike: Still Good"? Crap, I hadn't even gotten good enough to be just good, let alone long enough for it to be "Still good"... Silven shows the world just why I considered him one of the most amazing Ikes to watch, the way he moves with ike is just so fluid. This video's still on my Ipod and I used to think to myself "there's no way I'll ever get that good, I can't even tell what he's going to do" (that video is still amazing to watch, silven's offstage game was revolutionary to people who thought Ike's had no business jumping anywhere). I tried my best to make my ike quicker, more flowing... it didn't work all that well, lol. I spent 3 days attempting to quick draw onto the stage from the ledge and even then I got it wrong half the time for about a month and a half after I knew how to do it. Even to this day I think my playstyle is much more "to the point" than silven's (in that sense I find myself more predictable than he is). All I really knew how to do was space fair well and jab... and I tried jab canceling here and there but I couldn't get the timing down for it and abandoned the endeavor. Attempting to get better I still hung out in the hylian hellfire chat, where someone brought up this Ike that was destroying faces, some dude by the name of Renegade.

Okay well the silven approach to Ike wasn't working for me, maybe I just need an idea of where to go. I PM renegade, requesting to play him. He obliges me and I get about 8 or so matches with him where he straight 3 stocks me half the time, I get knocked out of aether all the time, he's jabbing me to hell and back, what the hell is he doing to my character? He's so straight to the point with him too, was this the style of play I wanted to work on?

Nope, I still found jab canceling too hard to do.

Moving on, I get a PM from Drk.Pch asking if I wanted to try out for Imperial Era. We set up a day to play and I meet Pch and Jash. I come to find out that Jash is the best young link from melee and I already knew who pch was, he 3 stocked me a month back on wifi, guy didn't even remember. Playing them both, I did well enough for them to acknowledge me as a good Ike, though they both realized I rolled any time someone was behind me because I didn't know how to turn around properly (Funny thing is I still don't, out of instinct to turn around jab I spot dodge first, which is really really really dumb easy to exploit. I can do things like jab to turn around bair but jab to jab the other way is somehow hard for me, derp...) and suggested I work on it, I think I got turnaround grabs finally down in october....

Our first official crew meeting was at Pch's place, there I met some dude in a wifebeater named Rookie, guy claimed he had like 14 mains. Wtf, I can't even play two! I do well against his meta knight, I do teeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrribly against his fox (I kept trying to dodge his lasers like he was falco...) and then he used ike. He beat me 3 times in a row and I finally got angry, I told him one more match on lylat and I kind of lost it, I dunno what flipped that match but I went absolutely ape**** on his ike, 2 stocked it hard to the point that he jokingly stated "I'm sooooorrrrrrrrrry". I laughed so hard, the guy was really cool. I showed him some stuff I had been working on with halberd and delfino landing animations and using the stage to my advantage and he pretty much called me gay for spending so much time learning something so silly. To this day I still ***** the hell out of delfino, though Ally taught me something new on that stage at COT >_> on live stream, ow.

I decide to put together my first gameplay video. I would have called it a combo video but my playstyle was too choppy and staggered to really have any flowing moves. The only 2 good things that came from that video was the jab to dtilt setup (apparently no one had thought of that before. Cool, I added something new), and abusing halberd and delfino. Plus, almost all the footage was from wifi. I know full well what anyone would say if they wanted to **** talk the video so I named the video "That's just bad DI!". Yeah *****es, what can you say now?

That's just bad DI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZv0bFeUDSQ&fmt=18

July, 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED0uCdKtqUk

You can't stop him, mother ****er, cuz he's on a boat! Alu's fight with diem was considered a big deal for the Ike community, beating meta knight at all (especially such a well known one) let alone in such a decisive manner gave people a little hope... too bad Izumi got pirate ship banned pretty much across the board, crazy *** toon link.

Renegade hits me up for ideas and suggestions for his combo video, gave him the name for it, he did pretty much the rest on his own. His gameplay is a huge departure from what silven's video established, but their play is so distinct that you can appreciate them both equally.

I watch a match of Azen's ike vs velocity and notice him doing turnaround up smashes out of a dash and I spend a week trying to learn how to do it, what I didn't realize is that since I had tap jump off I couldntg do it (I later found out you can press jump and A at the same time, but had long since turned tap jump on). I go along that road and decide to explore my controller configuration, the mishaps and how I could use them to my advantage and learn how to ledgehop nair as ike. Sort of dangerous, as screwing it up could very well kill you, but still cool. I also notice that dair doesnt send me rocketing down, but don't actually make any use of it for about a month...

Ledgehopped nair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vrytPv9Oq8

Imperial era had broken up for various reasons, and I had since lost contact with Jash (his phone number changed or something). On a day I just randomly decide to go hit up web2zone for training grounds, I run into rookie again. We play for the first time in a month and I find out he had joined a crew in new Jersey named Zodiac Braves. He has nothing but great things to say about the players, saying that it's cool to find people who are so dedicated to getting better. I show him some stuff I had been working on in the past month and he seemed genuinely impressed. I play DJ nintendo's mario though and he 3 stocks me about a dozen times, to which he finally tells me.

"Look, I know you're good, you don't need to play super aggressive to show me what you're capable of. You seem like you approach because you think you have to, which is silly. I mean yeah ike can't really camp but don't act like you need to beat the clock, just let it be there and play how you should play, be patient."

All this time learning to be aggressive and I guess I overdid it...

Later that week during the weekly I meet his crew members and I get to play, in order, Munk, 4fit, Umbra, and RJ. Pierce was off trying to money match reno, though I got to see him play kwis's meta knight and get hyped about beating it, the **** talk was hilarious.

I also noticed that the more and more that I played offline, the more and more wifi seemed like it was best reserved for mongoloids.

Some locals up my block that I occasionally won (funny thing is I only learned of it by inadvertantly running into Basic Sausage, Blackanese, and Zro down my block on the way home) introduce me to Gurukid, Tastingo, AzureFlameKite and Joedragon.

August, 2008: Wait a **** minute, dair doesn't send me rocketing down. Does this mean I can walk off the stage and down air people? It would catch so many people offguard since ike's biggest weakness aside from horrid recovery options is that he telegraphs so much. I make another use of my controller configuration and a signature move is born for me. I inform the ike community of my finding and quite a number of players subscribe to the concept, unfortunately this causes ike to be unable to smash DI unless you learn to walk off dair manually. Renegade says he probably wont do it but it was an advancement for ike in general, a useful one at that. Silven doesn't bother, nor does kirk. Ninjalink just sort of scoffs at the idea saying that he really doesn't like people who cant function without the default controls. Oh well, I just wasn't good enough to consistently tilt yet.

Walkoff Downair Applicaton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7h8BMw_uxs

Kirk comes out with crimean sonata and people go nuts over it. Guy was pretty much a founder for the character, it was a long awaited well edited and masterfully synced project.

My first tournament since w2z fired bum was going to be in Jersey, Rookie's crew was hosting it at Terra-bite. I get to play everyone again and they pretty much trounce me, Rookie had also dropped like 8 of his characters and played the 3 spacies, rob, marth, and sheik. We head over to terra-bite and I play Malcolm and HBK in tournament. Malcolm seemed familiar but I couldn't quite place it until the day after, he had actually been subscribed to my vids for months now. That's cool. Naks and I get eliminated by rookie and Pierce, rough deal. In singles I play orion in winner's, lose to his falco on final destination so take him to delfino and 2 stock him pretty badly. He takes me to pictochat and wins, the whole time atomsk **** talking me and ike. Argh, oh well. Apparently the brackets were ****ed anyway because Inui placed himself on the opposite side of the bracket as Atomsk, m2k, and velocity. Since that event he's never done it again, velocity called him out for it though, it was highly entertaining.

In loser's I face gunblade, I beat his lucas on battlefield due to an SD, so he goes marth on pokemon stadium and beats me. I take him to delfino and again my knowledge of the stage pulls a win for me. Next up I fight Munk's dedede, lose the neutral, win barely on pokemon stadium, but lose on halberd. Terra-bite 2 ends for me right there, or so I thought.

Talking with Pierce at the pizza shop, he actually offers me a spot in the crew and I gladly accept. Ryko joined the zodiac braves, here's hoping I could do them proud. Rookie tells me there's one catch though, I have to drop wifi. Well thank god, I hated that stupid thing anyway. In friendlies with naks on a random TV I meet BSC also, who later joins the crew.

Interestingly enough I learn how to jab cancel properly on the fly during tournament matches, at least I gained something.

September, 2008: Rollers! Rollers, rollers, roller, ****ing rollers. Rolling is the bane of my existence, someone rolls on me and my inability to turn around will get me destroyed. I ask Kirk what to do about this and his answer is simple: Punish it.

Okay? But how?

"Find a way."

HELPFUL, THANKS... (it actually was helpful but I hadn't become a good enough player to figure it out yet)

I don't quite grasp the concept, the only thing I could really do is notice someone had the habit and throw an fsmash the other way and hope to god it hits. It rarely worked because while I noticed the habit, I had no idea how to make it happen. It was one thing to know habits, but ike had to punish them if he was going to get anywhere. I set out to think of every bad habit I can come up with and the proper solution to them. I decide to make a blog about it and title it "Your habits are bad and you should feel bad (it's a futurama reference)". I never finished it but I could very well take out the "to be continued" from part 2 and it would seem like it was. It got featured on AIB's front page (thanks staindgrey) and even gimpy threw a good comment in. All of that wouldnt have been possible though had I not spoken to Rookie and Pierce consistently. Pierce's knowledge of the game's finer points and his penchant for discussing it all the time helped my gameplay drastically.

Your habits are bad and you should feel bad: (Part one) http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=3344

(Part two) http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=3367

Since bad DI, my gameplay had drastically improved though. I decide now would be a good time to make another video and come up with "I fight my friends", a video I could be proud to say was a combo video. It was very jab and spike heavy but that's just the way I played. I throw it on youtube and it's a hit, making the my ike from june look like child's play. Plus, taking a note from crimean sonata, I sync it to the music and throw in some effects for good measure.

I fight my friends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4goJzib4UQ&fmt=18

October, 2008: "If you even think of rolling, I'm gonna fsmash the **** out of you", I stated this audibly at the nyc monthly. Brawl was getting me pissed off as a whole, I couldn't play without complaining, the game in of itself seemed wildly imbalanced and overall rewarded people for being ****ing dumb. I couldnt stand it, and when I get angry I use fsmash. I almost never used the move up untilt his point, but for the better part of 2 months I was landing like one fsmash a match (playing malcolm showed me that the move isnt bad to use, I just cant be liberal with it). Punishing rolls, counters, spot dodges, mindgaming people into rolling into it, killing people for air dodging, all sorts of stuff. A move I had never used before was getting all sorts of playtime now.

However, the game was still pissing me off. Was I hitting my limit with ike, was I just doing poorly due to my lack of skill as a player? I couldn't tell. Getting rough brackets or rough deals in tournaments was also affecting me as a player. In match 3 against gunblade at planking meta knight he got caught in a wall infinite on PS1 and in his panic he paused the game. I was so annoyed and tired by that point that I gave him the match and went to sleep, guy was genuinely sorry and I didn't really have it in me to get the dude disqualified. I make it out of pools at the monthly but the system being rushed so badly sort of accounted for that, I only lost to blue on time and liqui's falco because I switched to marth out of fear against falco. I lost to Jtails and Vec in brackets, and I go home again annoyed with my measly 25th (I should have been elated that I didnt get dead last, as the upcoming months were going to show me).

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
:x too epic. So it took you 5 months of practice and commitment to get to the level shown in your "I Fight My Friends" video.
Hmm maybe I shouldn't down myself for doing so bad for my 2nd month of maining Ike.

Anyway, loving it so far Rykoshet.

Edit: :x It took you that long to get that frustrated with Ike? x.x I did that just yesterday.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Part 3: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=12007

November, 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K25tPx47lY&fmt=18

BBC 3: Dead Last
BBC 6: Dead Last
Poly Tech: Pretty much dead last
Hurricane meta knight: Close to dead last and outplaced by 2 levels by a snake I had 3 stocked in first round winners, are you ****ing kidding me?
Chu's Thanksgiving Biweekly: Dead Last

**** IKE. This character's worthless, why the hell did I think I could be any good with him? I'm a slow player and this slow *** character was going to take me down with him. If I was going to play a character with a sword, I should have played marth and if I wanted to play a heavy character, d3 and snake were sitting there since launch and I enjoyed them both. I try to play all 3 of them but only find minimal success with any of them, I still have a lot ot learn as a player, Ike isn't the problem.

Fine, so it's not "**** Ike"... **** BRAWL THEN. This game is stupid, imbalanced, unfair, stupid, boring, limiting, stupid, did i mention stupid? My anger had gotten the best of me, I decide after chu's thanksgiving biweekly that I was dropping the game for a while. I couldn't stand it, if the game isn't fun why am I even playing it?

December, 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQYNo-Do_No&fmt=18

Lucy I'm hooooome. After 3 weeks of not playing I fire brawl up and practice against CPUs. If I was slow then practicing against something inhumanly fast in terms of reation could only help things. I come back to brawl with a renewed sense of playstyle, I incorporate pivot grabs, autocanceled bairs, walkoff dairs, reverse aether to drag people off the stage and spike them even if they dont think I can. I'm getting gimped less, my fsmash baits are more patient and calculating, something is going right.

Then umbra gimps me twice with mirror shield. Okay, ike is still flawed, but I got better. Talks with ninjalink on mindgames and extra tech skill practice got me much faster than before. The guy is incredibly helpful and I guess the smashfests I had been holding at my place had gotten us cool with eachother. I'll take it, the best players in the city dropping over at my place to practice? Hell yeah I'll take it. Getting to play ron, wes, d1, zro, blackanese and a large number of extra people and even holding a tourney downstairs had really given me some incredible practice.

January, 2009: 2008's over and... I'm ticked off. I come back with new fresh ideas and moves in my repertoire and all I get called is "creative"? Okay so my tournament placings are what's holding me back, but it's the Atlantic north! People around the country just don't seem to get how much harder it is around here. "No johns". Man **** this, **** the ike boards, just **** it all, I bent over backwards to give them gold and time after time i'm overlooked or passed up for worse players because I don't wanna talk myself up. Hell, and I don't even get acknowledged as creative by some people, apparently the guy who found stun jacket is a much more creative ike than myself....

That was pierce! He doesnt play ike, I havent seen him deviate off of marth in months, the guy's in my crew! You have to be kidding me, this is bothering me more than it should.

My friend Brandi: "You sound pathetic right now, who the **** cares what everyone else thinks? You know you're good, why do you need the world to know?"

She had a point, but I was going to sit on this for a while. I needed to prove that I could do well when it mattered. Gametable's coming up in a week, I can hope to do well there.

I don't even go ike the full time, I play d3 against some snake sfor the easy win, I just want to place top 8 maybe going ike majority of the time. Playing bum in winner's quarters drops me to loser's, where I face...

Blackanese.

Oh god, not again. Every time I run into this guy, what sort of joke is this? And he's going olimar? God I'm screwed, I'm beyond screwed, ike cant handle this matchup, but d3 would do no better. Ugh whatever, time to go out with a bang.

Game1: I... won? Holy crap I won. I beat an olimar, a good player at that, in a matchup ike is never supposed to win.

Then he goes game and watch

Game 2 and 3: I got flustered and threw the matches away by playing like an idiot. Argh.

9th place, 1 too low to account for the character rankings. Sigh, I leave the venue disappointed yet again, not taking into account that in my first tournament since coming back not only did I go well beyond last place, I got 9th. It wasn't good enough, I wanted a top 8 placing to throw int he faces of all the people who still considered me second rate. Maybe I'm just greedy.

Later that month the crew goes down to rutgers university to practice with Team MOB and keitaro runs a singles bracket. I face off against Xionix (is that how you spell it?) and his diddy kong. I win match 1 on yoshi's, lose match 2 on smashville, and win match 3 on delfino, barely, with a sour spotted dair killing diddy off the top of the stage. Argh, that was hard.

Set 2 I face off against a crew member, BSC. Ike vs Dedede, I lose match 1 on smashville even though I had the lead. I was audibly angered with myself. I take him to yoshi's for round 2 and win. Match 3 he goes to castle siege and I lose my first stock to a walk off chain grab in the second part. Again frustrated i try not to let it get to me. A walk off dair right before the stage transitioned again ended the match for me, victorious.

Set 3 I face off against Spammer. He goes toon link. We agree that regardless of what happens in match 1 we'll do an ike ditto for match 2 on castle siege. Spammer's a cool guy, though I know he knows he could take me with his eyes closed.

He took me with his eyes closed. To make matters worse I get fsmashed in match 2 and lose with a 40% lead in the Ike ditto. :( It's cool, I lost to the better player.

Match 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGi9TeWDvdg&fmt=18
Match 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ljm6j_XLC4&fmt=18

My first set in loser's was against Keitaro, NJ's best placing falco.

Ike

vs

Falco

If there is a god, he's laughing at me right now. Not letting my temper get to me, we go to yoshi's island for the first round. I win, barely. Blowing myself up with eruption and baiting a quick 30 damage to avoid getting spiked and screwing up a meteor cancel made the fight closer. Playing with the platforms in general a nd jabbing keitaro out of illusion woni match 1 for me.

Match 2 he takes me to smashville, I almost get jv 2 stocked.

Match 3 I choose delfino. Keitaro switches off of falco completely, knowing that the bird hates that stage. He goes meta knight. W-w-wut? Use of the stage and what can only be described as straight shenanigans wins the set for me. I basically wall teched a down air which lead into a footstool which lead into me accidentally back airing him out of shuttle loop and killing him at 115. All in one fluid motion. You know what? **** it, I'll take it, it was falco and meta knight.

Next up was eazy. An idle comment about how toon link kicks my *** lead him to decide not to use toon link on me, as he had beaten me handily at bbc3 with TL. He goes sheik, which is another bad matchup for me but we go for it. Match 1 is on smashville, I pull out a winning up smash that put him at 113 when he got roofed. My % when I pulled off that up smash was exactly 113 also, can't really call it closer than that.

Match 2 he goes back to smashville and my brain really gets to work. I 2 stock him and say I feel bad because he could have gone toon link or marth or whatever. He didn't john and just congratulated me on the win and that was that.

My next set was against pierce, my crew member and the best marth in jersey. I Lose 2-1. For match 2 I counterpicked halberd so avoid getting stage spiked, it worked handily. He asked why I didn't do delfino, and I told him to avoid getting water dolphin slashed or dtilt locked.

Rutgers tournament ends, I place 5th.

February, 2009: COT 4! ZB was going to it's first regional as a crew (pierce had hit one or 2 on his own) and we even got our own room at Inui's hotel. We get to meet some great players like Seibrik and Anther, though there was this weird guy just chilling outside the window staring at me and rookie play who later came in and asked to watch. Who the hell is this guy?

Oh, it's reflex, what a pleasant guy, just funny as hell and easy to talk to too.

I get in some matches with CK and Hova down in the md/va room and go to sleep at around 4AM.

The next morning, I feel like crap, I'm playing like crap. This tournament has dumb counterpicks, why the hell was I so hyped for it? I try not to take the world down with me and hope that I wake up when I get there. Friendly faces and essentially cutting the line saved me a lot of headache and I got time to practice. I met and played with so many people I hadn't gotten to play before. I money match Inui's snake because I had made the request like 2 months beforehand but never did it. I lose. I money match ally, take him to last stock first round and lose. I play anther, I get 2 stocked. But in pools I'm doing extremely well and i only have a few players to go to get out of pools...

Day 1 ends with me on a hot streak (yeah I mentioned losing a ton, but i was playing well in the matches that mattered).

Day 2, I go in cold. I get 2-0'd by cake's campy diddy, 2-0'd by ultimo dragon's DK, 2-1'd by meep. I'm not making it out of pools. What a stupid ****ing day, I'm playing like cra--no johns...

Oh well, COT4 ends with neither me nor Nikok making it out of our pools. I still got plenty of practice in. This time it wasn't ike, it was me. Maybe I should have spent the 2-3 days before practicing instead of putting together my third gameplay video: Now stepping up to the plate, #26 (it's ike's placement on the tier list).

Now stepping up to the plate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhkEPFAC9Os&fmt=22

So where do I go from here? I'm not sure, I've been playing other characters again but I'm still intent on doing well with ike too. This time I dont feel bogged down by the other characters, they're helping me in a way. Poly tech's get gimped tournament is this weekend, here's hoping I can do something worthwhile.

Wish me luck, I guess.

TL;DR shoutouts go to
R00kie - When fox moves up on the tier list, it will be solely because of how badass you are with him. Keep at it son, you're the best player with that character in the entire country, and I'd be **** surprised if anyone takes that from you.

Pierce - Thank you for breaking this game down to a science at times, it helps immensely.

Umbra - Thanks for reminding me that in the end, this **** is just a game. A dumb stupid game but still a game.

Munk - You have some of the quickest easiest answers when I'm annoyed at something but they help immensely

BSC - Quiet a lot but when you get talking I swear you're one of the most enjoyable people to be around.

RJ - I swear you manage to smile through some of the most ridiculous ****.

Ninjalink - You had absolutely no reason to help me out when I asked but you did anyway, thank you.

D1 - Thank you for being cool enough to talk to me from pretty much day 1. I may never beat you in tournament but you bet your *** ill keep trying until it happens.

DJ Nintendo - You're the first person to tell me that brawl singles is dumb but you're more than willing to hand out that advice as a good player to someone who had (and still has) a lot to learn.

Kirk - Wouldn't have known where to start without you. Like I said, whenever your name comes up I always say "this is the guy who taught me how to play Ike."

Griever - You eventually hit me up later and it was cool to be acknowledged by someone that inspired me to play the character.

Renegade - You're a cocky guy but you're extremely helpful and a fun person to talk to. Your playstyle was easily the most disruptive I had seen, keep it up.

Silven - You make ike look like an artform, i'm keeping this color though.

Malcolm - "It's a game, have fun, if you're not laughing about something [and fsmashing people] you're doing it wrong." People just get at you for the sonic but I dont think people realize just how good you are at the game in of itself. Blatantly best sonic right now, you make him as fast as he **** well should be.

Zro - Without your encouragement to show up I may have dipped out after the first tournament and never shown up again.

Blackanese - I'll beat you one day, but until then keep making the game seem fun even when you're playing gay as hell.

Nakayorz - Wouldn't have picked it up without you to play with me from day one.

Atomsk - You're a jerk, but not an *******. Fun guy to be around and an amazing player. I'll break your phone if you pull that alarm stunt again.

Inui - At first, I didn't like you. Hell, most of the time I just say stuff to give you a hard time. But you run a tight ship on tournaments and when you're not talking about money or matchups (like 10% of the time) you're a funny guy and a good player.

Spammer - The best player that never goes anywhere. You're too good at this, too bad you hate the game.

Team MOB (Eazy, YES!, Keitaro, Sneak) - Most fun crew to play with, every time I go to rutgers I gain something from it. I wish somoene had spoken up when you guys were forming your crew to instead join ZB.

DM Brandon - First mention I ever heard of you was honestly unflattering, but you greeted me with a hand shake and since then you've been nothing but a cool guy with a cynical but hilarious sense of humor.

ISAAAIIIIIIIII - I still get hit, I'm working on it.
(I've never actually met or spoken to isai)

Neo - First day I ran into this guy in person he acted like we hung out all the time. Best marth in the country but more importantly just a **** cool guy. Your ike is nasty too.

Ryoko - Same as spammer's, but I wouldnt have learned to get the chump out of me if it werent for playing you. Thank you.

And he didnt get mentioned in the story but glick is pretty **** awesome too.

and the NY/NJ smash community as a whole for forcing me to get better if i wanted to keep playing.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Oh, Sorry Ryko ^^;; Ultimodragon has ample Ike experience playing me a lot lol.

geez ;o thats like... 3 times the amount I would write lol.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Both stories were very interesting to read; I didn't know that you made such tremendous improvement from March '08 to February '09.

*reads Ussi's first post* - We should have a story-telling thread come every March just as a time capsule to see how far we get every year.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Both stories were very interesting to read; I didn't know that you made such tremendous improvement from March '08 to February '09.

*reads Ussi's first post* - We should have a story-telling thread come every March just as a time capsule to see how far we get every year.
The only reason I want a story telling thread is because i don't want 40 million people making story telling threads. I figure if we have one big one then it'll be fine. Everyone can get like one post and then keep editing it. I think it's a nice reference too.

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Then we can put it in the library! xD How smart!
:x Oh and Ryko where you go from now is up to you. xD Keep practicing and keep repping Ike. :x You have fans that will cheer you on, such a myself. :x

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Then we can put it in the library! xD How smart!
:x Oh and Ryko where you go from now is up to you. xD Keep practicing and keep repping Ike. :x You have fans that will cheer you on, such a myself. :x
oh that's smart ;o then well have burrito update the first post with links to every post of the story. We'll work him hard :laugh:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Ryko, that vid was awesome and exactly the reason why you're called one of the best Ike players out there, self-esteem and tournament placings aside.

I reiterate, this thread deserves a sticky, or at least a link in the Library.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Switching to attack stick because you can't do tilts, what a scrub. Still a great story to read lol.

We better do double Ike at genesis though! Which actually just reminded me to go vote on the rules since someone had mentioned it before.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I'm going to carry over my response over from AiB. Wow, I thought my struggle was the worst out of everyone else, but looks like you went through a hell of a struggle as well. Well done Rykoshet, really, well done. I'm absolutely amazed at the progress you've gained after all this time. You're definitely the most creative, no unpredictable, imaginative Ike I know. I congratulate you for getting this far. Don't give up Ike, keep strong with him and you're right, the Tristate Area is the hardest area ever to succeed at tournaments. You're one of my inspirations Rykoshet. Keep it up with that Ike. Stay strong!

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Just when I plan on dropping Ike completely and picking up someone else, I see this thread. You've given me inspiration Ryko. Thank you. Who's to know, maybe in a few months I'll be the one saying "I suck(ed), and in some sense, I still do. But I got better... "

First, I need a Wii though lol

Ta-kun the Pyro

Smash Cadet

wow, I can't believe I read all of that without falling asleep or taking any breaks.

That is some story you have there. I never would've known your struggle if you hadn't said anything.

I have all of the (good) Ike videos on my MP3 player, most of them are yours. I look up to you, Silven, and Kirk when it comes to Ike, and watch the videos over and over again until I think I got the hang of it.
I can honestly say that I'm glad you and your friends pushed you to play Ike the way you do. I believe you and your videos have inspired many Ike players and pushed their gameplay to the next level.

Thanks Ryko, for giving us all inspiration.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Funny tidbit: Speaking to Triforce that day, he said the clock in stock matches was stupid because what was to prevent people from taking a stock with someone like meta knight then just run/fly away for the rest of the match? That's right plank, you were pre-empted.
Incorrect, plank started ledgecamping in Melee.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ever since the beginning of summer, I've regarded you as one of the best Ikes, along with the others that need not be named =), especially since I felt our playstyles at first to be pretty similar.

To be honest, I was a little taken aback at the amount of trouble/work you went through, because from my point, whenever you came up with new vids/etc, it seemed like smooth sailing from over here.
All I can say is to keep it up. This just goes to show how much more experience I need to get better and learn the finer details like you.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
Ryko, both me and my friend have been making note of your progress and thought you were the best Ike (at least next to Silven) of NYC. I have been subscribed to your channel from the very beginning. I still use your older videos for reference when I'm doing my own training.

I told you over aim, but I might as well say here as well. You're a well respected and reknown Ike player within the Tri-state area. You are known for your innovating ideas and unique/original playstyle and precise accuracy in combat. True that Silven may have been artistic, but your Ike's movement is so swift and follows true to the saying "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Niko_K

Smash Master
Our pool was wack Ryko, I took the set from Eli who placed 33rd xD.

I couldn't beat out those camping Diddys and DK's though......

And I almost beet Meep xD

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
best ike i've ever seen. I had no doubt you could have beat me, you had me scared. Perhaps the next time we play the game will be very close.

I hope to play good people like you soon, it give me the incentive to play this ******** game of campy rock-paper-scissors.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
best ike i've ever seen. I had no doubt you could have beat me, you had me scared. Perhaps the next time we play the game will be very close.

I hope to play good people like you soon, it give me the incentive to play this ******** game of campy rock-paper-scissors.
You were scared cause you're used to my Ike I bet ;o Ryko does a hell lot more **** than I do lol.

LightAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Wow, long story, and very intersting.
Ill finish reading it tomorrow as i got to study now, i really wanna get better with my Ike two xD
Starting maybe with the reverse air managing... its taking me a while...

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
Fantastic read. I'm glad I got to know the mindset of someone like you going through the process of getting better. This has kinda inspired me to get better in a sense, so I'll have to devote whole days to just certain things.

Sliq

Smash Master
Ike is all about the f smash, and if you disagree you are wrong.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ah, just read parts 2 and 3. Entertaining read.

One think I've been wondering though... Is the Quickdraw from the ledge really that hard for people? o_O I've noticed that some people have been saying that they have a lot of trouble with it... I saw it in a video, then just turned on my Wii and started doing it right away... o_o;; Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

Anyway... Someday I want to be acknowledged as a good player.... -.- I know that sounds stupid and cliche, but I REALLY want it. I'm dedicated (Yeah, also cliche).... I'm going to spend a lot of time this Summer to practicing and going to more tournaments... It will even be my first time going to a national/international tournament (Genesis)... It's kinda hard for me to practice right now though, since I can only play against computers on a laggy tv... (Note to self: Buy component cables, and continue looking for Smash group here at college)

The thing that irks me the most though, is that... I haven't improved from Tournaments at all. People always say you'll get a lot better once you go to tournaments, but I really haven't. They don't even get me a lot of matchup experience. I usually either face a completely n00b and 3 stock him, or get ***** myself by someone...

Pretty much all my improvement has just been because of me practicing by myself, although I did improve from having someone to play with a lot last year whenever the game came out. Now that he's at Penn State (probably best smash community in PA, maybe besides Philly) he's been improving a lot and going to tournaments. But whenever December rolled around, we played eachother for the first time in 4 months, and we were still dead even. I didn't have my Wii for 3 of those months, and I played computers, and we were still even (Granted, I did practice my *** off that one month).

Anyway, yeah... I just wish i could improve from a tournament... xD Or at least place.

Man, I really dragged out this post for nothing. -_-

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So Colaya, what you're saying is that I should brag to you the fact I'll be going to the same University as Dojo and Santi next year, who will be holding Bi-weeklies so I can get good training?

I'd have to agree with the Quickdraw ledge comment from Colaya. Saw it, tried it, I always either regrab the ledge or pop on top. I've never killed myself doing that, and I've gotten to a point where I can decide which one I want to do and get it to work most of the time. I pulled it off during my last tournament during some friendlies. I also pulled off Ike's DACIT against Suspect while he tried Diddy.

I also find it funny that people have trouble with jab cancels. It took me 1 day to understand the timing, and about 3 days to get to a point where I don't Dtilt on accident. O_o

On the other hand, I'm freezing up in tournaments. Not in the same way Ryko just got stuck, I freeze mentally. I lose all of my spacing, timing, sometimes I even loose basic things like jab canceling. No clue why. I've also had my arms grow numb, but thats only when I first get to a tournament. Any advice for that?

•Col•

Smash Champion
So Colaya, what you're saying is that I should brag to you the fact I'll be going to the same University as Dojo and Santi next year, who will be holding Bi-weeklies so I can get good training?
I hate you.

......I would be so happy if I found someone really good to practice with. T_T Actually, at this point, I'd even take some random person over computers... ;-;

I'd have to agree with the Quickdraw ledge comment from Colaya. Saw it, tried it, I always either regrab the ledge or pop on top. I've never killed myself doing that, and I've gotten to a point where I can decide which one I want to do and get it to work most of the time. I pulled it off during my last tournament during some friendlies. I also pulled off Ike's DACIT against Suspect while he tried Diddy.

I also find it funny that people have trouble with jab cancels. It took me 1 day to understand the timing, and about 3 days to get to a point where I don't Dtilt on accident. O_o

On the other hand, I'm freezing up in tournaments. Not in the same way Ryko just got stuck, I freeze mentally. I lose all of my spacing, timing, sometimes I even loose basic things like jab canceling. No clue why. I've also had my arms grow numb, but thats only when I first get to a tournament. Any advice for that?
Still don't get why people have trouble with the Quickdraw thing. Maybe it's just cuz Melee had a bunch of fast button inputs or something.

Jab cancelling is pretty easy too. My problem with it is that I feel like sometimes I don't know what to cancel it into. xD

And for the Tournament thing.... I used to have this problem too. A lot. I am a VERY VERY VERY NERVOUS person. I just started to get out of it whenever I hosted a tournament back in December... What really helps.... Just have fun.... >.>

I know that sounds stupid, but it helps. Try to play lots of friendlies before the actual tournament starts. Also, one other thing I just started to do are what I like to do "Scales", like musical scales (I know it doesn't make much sense, but it's just to like... warmup or w/e...) I just go into training mode and just repeat a bunch of small actions over and over again. Like speedhugging, jab cancelling, jumping into aerials OOS, short hop bair autocancels, QDing onto the stage from the ledge... And stuff like that... I dunno why, but it helps to raise my confidence and get myself ready to do them in a real match.

Finally, just don't... Think you're going to do bad in the Tournament... xD Another problem for me, since I don't have much self confidence when it comes to competition, but you just can't... My 2nd tournament ever, I felt like I was going to do bad and I sucked, I didn't win any matches in Doubles or Singles and got dead last... Just... Yeah... Have fun.... o-o

Crack jokes and make friends during the friendlies; Meet cool people. ^_^ Tournaments can still be really good times even IF you come in dead last.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
At least you have brawl players at your university. All I have is Cactuar and Scar... >_>; Melee training for me.. although Cactuar sometimes plays melee peach in brawl for the fun of it. There are some people in brawl, but PA doesn't have a strong brawl scene.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
At least you have brawl players at your university. All I have is Cactuar and Scar... >_>; Melee training for me.. although Cactuar sometimes plays melee peach in brawl for the fun of it. There are some people in brawl, but PA doesn't have a strong brawl scene.
i like how you left me and the majority of ToS out but that's cool mate.

Remember where you stand in our matchup.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i like how you left me and the majority of ToS out but that's cool mate.

Remember where you stand in our matchup.
I have realized I have mixed up what I said and what I've meant. My bad. I meant the PA scene doesn't have as many skilled brawlers as other states (Coming from a guy who lives in NJ). PA has a more stronger melee scene for now :\

Top Bottom