• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #33 - Yoshi

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yoshi

LOL @ THIS ON SMASH DOJO!
Ratio: 60:40 Toon Link

Synopsis:
Coming like...when you believe.

Onward!

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Thanks to pride, I have a little bit of knowledge on this match-up
yoshi's egg does 9% which is crazy, some yoshi's are very gimmicky and like to run past you and pivot grab. Watch out RAR b-air and d-air and you should be fine
also footstool his recovery and he cant get back :)
try and camp as best as you can, the egg comes out relatively fast so be aware where it is at all time, and be carfull with how you recover due to his spike

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Omg no Yoshi mains >.>
I pray that they like they seem.
I SAID DO TOON LINK!
>.<
I'll do TL last. I promise.

So I'm thinking 55:45 TL. Yoshi is really fat and stuff and never dies. His camping counters ours oddly enough, so you're forced to approach.

Good thing he can't really do anything legitimately out of shield, he has to release first IIRC.

But yeah, pretty decent recovery since eggs give him a boost, DJ + AD is pretty hard to outdo, takes a while to die vertically.

Only fought one Yoshi player that was decent, and even then, it was when Brawl was only 3 months old lol.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
gah, I hate this matchup :(
Thier egg throw is very annoying and they can angle it in different ways to make it unpredictable, and even more of a nuisance,I'm usually camped with it.

Egg roll, abit like Sonic's spindash, they roll around and can cancel it at pretty much anytime. They also die if they go over the ledge with it, But a good yoshi wont let that happen. Its not terribly slow, but still fairly easy to avoid.

Down B, ground pound I think? Pretty much like Bowser's Down B, but smaller and with less strength too it.

Bair is an annoying multi hit attack, avoid it. Pretty much the same with Dair, but dair will cause much more damage. Uair kills nicely, Fair spikes.

I usually find myself living to 150-160 in this matchup unless I screw up on DI. So im guessing he has trouble killing (Or I play bad Yoshis :D)

His second jump Has SA frames, so he can jump out of a bair chain, ect.
That alos means you can't fair him or something while hes recovering for a gimp.
But like Sugarshiek said Footstool>Yoshi :)

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
The down B can catch you and bring you up in the air with Yoshi if it connects during the start of the move, which makes the pounding part almost inescapable. The bair combos very nicely into a ftilt/utilt/upsmash, even more reason to fear it:). Also, if you are showing a shield, we can do a reverse egg lay to get past it. Lucky for you all, TL is on the list of un-chaingrab-able, but still fear the pivot grab, it comes out fast and is deceptively long.

While it's possible to spike Yoshi, it is very hard due to his SA frames and his crazy long DJ->AD. Yoshi doens't have the easiest job killing, but can hold his own. If you're in the air be careful, the uair has great range, speed and knock back.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Yoshi's Bair is the only annoying thing about him.

Its annoying to try to gimp his recovery too.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Bair is the only annoying thing about him.

Its annoying to try to gimp his recovery too.
But what thought his bair was the only annoying thing?
XD
jk <3 you Sasuke no homo.
XD

Very sneaky VG >.>...
I see what you did thar!

Yoshi I play a good one.
I'll input my thoughts after the bias omg Yoshi is so good, Yoshi mains get here. Dont want the Yoshi mains sneak attacking me. >.>

Metatitan

Smash Master
idk much about the match up, ive only done it once with sasuke and i got bored after playing him for so long so i fell into a trance as a played. imma guess 55:45 or 60:40 tl cuz its not ez to yoshi to land a finishing hit really. and for the camping yoshi doesnt outcamp tl, both characters have to set up a rhythm kinda to camp eachother and tl gets that rhythm easier, more often and its harder to break

bigman40

Smash Master
I'll input my thoughts after the bias omg Yoshi is so good, Yoshi mains get here. Dont want the Yoshi mains sneak attacking me. >.>
Gee.....thx for making us seem that we're overly baised that we'll resort to flaming.... >____>

I play against an excellent TL main during college, so I'll input on this when I get the free time. As of right now, I'd say that the matchup ratio is either 50:50 to no worse than 55:45 TL advantage.

Edit: VietGeek, if you would like, I can play you a few times when I come back home for spring break in march (that's on the week of the monthly).

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Edit: VietGeek, if you would like, I can play you a few times when I come back home for spring break in march (that's on the week of the monthly).
I'd get ***** since: No match-up exp. + Large gap in skill level = Viet is going to be partof a combo video...in Barlw...getting combo'd.

But yeah, sure man.

I'm so good with these ratios lol.

What happened to that guy w/ Blue Yoshi that would appear at the sight of "Yoshi"?

Wasn't he like a Smash Researcher/Cyan People?

Metatitan

Smash Master
I'd get ***** since: No match-up exp. + Large gap in skill level = Viet is going to be partof a combo video...in Barlw...getting combo'd.

But yeah, sure man.

I'm so good with these ratios lol.

What happened to that guy w/ Blue Yoshi that would appear at the sight of "Yoshi"?

Wasn't he like a Smash Researcher/Cyan People?
u must mean mmac. well he was so ashamed of yoshi's tier position drop that he hasnt been to the boards, or the yoshi chat since late january. a tad overdramatic IMO :ohwell:

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Gee.....thx for making us seem that we're overly baised that we'll resort to flaming.... >____>

I play against an excellent TL main during college, so I'll input on this when I get the free time. As of right now, I'd say that the matchup ratio is either 50:50 to no worse than 55:45 TL advantage.

Sorry forgot to put jk
XD
I'm not a jerk.
XP

But yea my friend who plays Yoshi believes its 60:40 Toon Link.
I say 55:45 Toon Link cause camping is what bring it over to Toon Link but Yoshi can still get past that.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
u must mean mmac. well he was so ashamed of yoshi's tier position drop that he hasnt been to the boards, or the yoshi chat since late january. a tad overdramatic IMO :ohwell:
Isn't this just speculation? I don't think anyone actually knows why Mmac hasn't been around.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
I heard he had computer problems.

Anyway, the old Yoshi matchup thread (made by Mmac) had it as 55:45 Yoshi's favor. I think it's even or 45:55 TL.

D

Deleted member

Tl can outcamp easy if u know how to do it.
You cant beat him at long range, but run, PS the first egg and start SHDA camping. It ***** yoshi really bad :)

If the TL plays really gay with zair and runs away a lot, its a very difficult matchup. 40:60 TL me thinks.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I think your Fsmash beats our sword's range.
Also, Yoshi's DJ only has SA for attacks under 9% damage IIRC

D

Deleted member

I think your Fsmash beats our sword's range.
Also, Yoshi's DJ only has SA for attacks under 9% damage IIRC
Yes it does, but fsmash is on the slow side, and will usually be saved for killing.
If we try to full hop anything, a running up smash will do the trick, btw.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
What i like is dropping a bomb off the edge when Yoshi is off stage. Since Yoshi hasn't got a good up-B that sweetspots the edge, he will get hit by it, or he'll Airdodge or jump over it, which you can punish. Overall i don't find his projectile that much of a problem, and he is easily outcamped. His attacks are also easily punished when they hit your shield.
I think the matchup is 40:60 in TL's favor, or something close to that.

MJG

Smash Hero
I dont know if anyone mentioned this or not but ban Distant Planet

If the match starts and the yoshi takes you to distant planet, press start, end the match and choose your counterpick because you WILL LOSE

Oh and nice find on the footstool to gimp yoshi

Kthxbai

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Distant Planet is almost always a banned stage.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh and nice find on the footstool to gimp yoshi
The chances of you actually footstooling a good Yoshi are close to 2-3%. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

@BBoyindo months ago: Dropping a bomb over the ledge at us? I don't really see the point in that tbh. DJ Armor through it, DJAD through it, Rising Nair grab it, and so on. Not really a smart thing to do. Plus when you come near the ledge to do it, we can hit you with an egg from offstage. Bomb blows up in your hand+Egg Damage. +1 for Yoshi. Then we DJ safely back to stage and taunt for good measure. :]

I love responding to a 4 month old bumped thread. It makes me happy.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You can hog the edge and drop a bomb at the same time. Thats what he was talking about probably.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Still, that's not even useful. More dangerous for you than anything.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
how is it dangerous to do that

Santi

Smash Lord
poor yoshi cant jump out of shield haha
:(
Just abuse that and it becomes fun
:)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Because you get egg damage while we get an easy recovery.

And shut up Santi! Lol.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
But... you're grabbing the edge. >_>
Thats invincibility frames... <_<

Metatitan

Smash Master
I go peach on tl, i really dont like the tl vs yoshi matchup. Not having OoS just lets him pressure u as hard/harder than samus and his zair hurts, not as bad as samus' where it will shut you down but it really hurts =/

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Yoshi shouldn't be that difficult a match-up.
I've fought a pro Yoshi with my TL and it wasn't that hard. I just chucked a bunch of bombs and arrows at him to counter his egg game, then took advantage of his weight to rack up easy damage.
And Tink's uair has complete priority over Yoshi's down B, which Yoshis like to surprise you with.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yoshi is surprisingly good at camping with eggs long range. So avoid long range combat against him. Camp him form mid range. U can also put a lot of pressure on Yoshi with nairs, zair, back air from upclose to his shield. His back air is very good, mulit hit, lot of priority and can pop u in the air to follow up with upair. Beware of Yoshis jab game...>_> his jabs are ********. He also has one of the most ridiculous pivot grabs in the game just like oli so if youre approaching always stay on the lookout for it. His usmash is one of their best kill move. Meh im tired to keep writing. I used to play against a Yoshi every week so I used to know the matchup a lot. I think its 60-40 Toon Link. Oh and Ive never been able to edgeguard him. His recovery is deceptively good. U would have to play a Yoshi main to understand.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yoshi shouldn't be that difficult a match-up.
I've fought a pro Yoshi with my TL and it wasn't that hard. I just chucked a bunch of bombs and arrows at him to counter his egg game, then took advantage of his weight to rack up easy damage.
And Tink's uair has complete priority over Yoshi's down B, which Yoshis like to surprise you with.
That's why you ground the DownB. Then you can't Uair it. ;D

Also, which pro yoshi? [/skeptical]

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
That's why you ground the DownB. Then you can't Uair it. ;D

Also, which pro yoshi? [/skeptical]
Well, Tink can still punish it, even if not with uair.
And it was JR5, he mains Sheik too. He's not pro on the same level of like the top players, but he places in major tournaments regularly.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Footstool his recovery, watch out for his pivot grab shenanigans. Eggs hurt a lot, know when they are coming from the start out animation. Really if you can footstool consistently then you can win this match-up. Have your Z-air set ups ready, don't miss use your items and you can win this :)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You can't footstool his recovery. He can just air dodge.

Well, idk. Maybe you can get lucky and time it before the airdodge animation starts.

Top Bottom