• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Brawl+ Podcast (Episode 3 is UP!!! O EM GEEEEE!!!)

Revven

FrankerZ

Hello new Brawl+ players and veterans! I'm Falco400, better known as smk! I had been discussing with some other B+ veterans about making a Brawl+ podcast. It took me awhile to organize it (about two weeks) and finally get an episode done. This podcast is going to discuss a multitude of topics ranging from how the metagame is developing (once Brawl+ goes gold) to new codes to debates about allowing certain codes to why such and such codes aren't used etc. etc. Obviously, there's PLENTY to cover for those of new and not so new to Brawl+.

The podcast will likely be on a biweekly schedule basis depending on when I, the host, have free time that weekend. I, being a high schooler and smasher, have many other things to do in my time. If I cannot do an episode that week, I will let you all know ahead of time so you can look forward to when it will ACTUALLY be coming out. You can expect the podcast to be recorded on Fridays/Saturdays and edited on Sunday and put up (hopefully) on Buzz's site where the SMYN podcast episodes go that day.

If you have a suggestion for what we should talk about in any upcoming episode, feel free to PM it to me or post it in this thread. It'd be LOVELY to have someone come up with a topic that I nor anyone else thought of. I always appreciate any help as well, and tips. So, help out a little if you can.

Episode 1: What's all the PLUS about!? (Feb. 14, 2009) Guests: The Cape, goodoldganon, kupo15, and Makkun. Length: 1:03:15
Link: Download (Right-click)

Episode 2: Codes! (March 14, 2009) Guests: Giza and Almas. Length: 1:47:54

Episode 3: Character Balance (April 1, 2009) Guests: Shanus and Almas. Length: 1:43:40

Next Episode Date: ??? (Undecided)

Also, if you want this thing to go live stream like SMYN, help me set it up of course, there HAS to be enough interest for it to go live stream otherwise it's not worth setting up. Show enough interest and help me set it up and we're good.

Wanna be a guest on the show?

If you're a long-time Brawl+ player and have a decent amount of intelligence and opinion to share you pretty much fit the bill as a guest. If you feel that you want to be apart of an episode, PM me showing that you are interested and I will add you to the guest roster for that episode. Depending on what we will be discussing, I will have a set amount of guests for it. I may also just contact you in a PM, PLEASE respond back and tell me if you can or can't make it that week and I will gladly search for someone else.

This has been smk, signing out!

Revven

FrankerZ
Episode 1 is out and ready to be downloaded, I hope you all enjoy and leave your comments here. Again, thanks Buzz for hosting this. :)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Given the number of people in the podcast and the amount of lag with certain participants, you really ought to script the order (not necessarily the words) you guys talk. The awkward silences made the podcast feel extremely unpolished and improvised despite having great content. I like hearing the story of Brawl+, and I'm sure after a few practice episodes, the Brawl+ podcast can turn into something amazing. ;)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks for the advise! Man, I'm not looking forward to hear myself talk :urg:

Would it advised to cut out all the blank time and maybe the "umms" if possible? I think so.

Man, my mic sucks.

"I'll keep that in mind when I can shield grab ppl" Why the hell did I say that! Hahah. Not what I meant :embarrass

huge pause at 38:55??

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
OK, guys, not a terrible first stab at podcasting. That said, I'm not going to pat you all on the back and just BS you. There's a lot of work that needs to be done.

- A podcast comes off as being very amateur if the sound isn't in order. Guys, this isn't a video podcast. SOUND IS VITAL - IT'S ALL YOU HAVE! The levels in this HAVE to be fixed. You obviously did some editing with putting the theme in there, so you have to compare the volumes and boost the track if it needs it. Just by a rough estimation, the conversation is at least 50% the volume of the theme. Even still, the podcast as a WHOLE is significantly quieter than most media out there. It's all about trial and error, but finding the right balance is essential.

- Speaking of the theme, the song rules. Great choice! However, the modulated voice (which is...original...) is not only too soft, but it is far too muddy. It gets drowned out in the music and you cannot understand what is being said at all. Which is unacceptable, because this is your TITLE! Again, work with it, but this is a must to be fixed.

To answer Kupo's question, you don't want to edit TOO much in your podcast. Editing every single pause makes it seem doctored and you want a natural flow. However, you have to show discretion. IF IT BREAKS THE FLOW OF YOUR PODCAST, then edit it. Take out pauses, objectionable moments, etc., but ONLY if you can do so in a way that will continue the pacing of the podcast. If you can't do that, it will seem obvious that it was edited, which is questionably worse than what you might have originally had.

- Nothing against your guests, but I really don't think it's a good idea to have five independent people on one podcast all trying to contribute their opinions. Everything gets muddled together, people don't get their say, etc. unless you have a DISTINCT WAY of making sure everyone is heard.

Anyway, I hope this helps, it's what I could come up with at the moment. Keep up the valiant effort!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Once you take all of Youko's advice, then I will sticky this thread.

Revven

FrankerZ
OK, guys, not a terrible first stab at podcasting. That said, I'm not going to pat you all on the back and just BS you. There's a lot of work that needs to be done.

- A podcast comes off as being very amateur if the sound isn't in order. Guys, this isn't a video podcast. SOUND IS VITAL - IT'S ALL YOU HAVE! The levels in this HAVE to be fixed. You obviously did some editing with putting the theme in there, so you have to compare the volumes and boost the track if it needs it. Just by a rough estimation, the conversation is at least 50% the volume of the theme. Even still, the podcast as a WHOLE is significantly quieter than most media out there. It's all about trial and error, but finding the right balance is essential.

- Speaking of the theme, the song rules. Great choice! However, the modulated voice (which is...original...) is not only too soft, but it is far too muddy. It gets drowned out in the music and you cannot understand what is being said at all. Which is unacceptable, because this is your TITLE! Again, work with it, but this is a must to be fixed.

To answer Kupo's question, you don't want to edit TOO much in your podcast. Editing every single pause makes it seem doctored and you want a natural flow. However, you have to show discretion. IF IT BREAKS THE FLOW OF YOUR PODCAST, then edit it. Take out pauses, objectionable moments, etc., but ONLY if you can do so in a way that will continue the pacing of the podcast. If you can't do that, it will seem obvious that it was edited, which is questionably worse than what you might have originally had.

- Nothing against your guests, but I really don't think it's a good idea to have five independent people on one podcast all trying to contribute their opinions. Everything gets muddled together, people don't get their say, etc. unless you have a DISTINCT WAY of making sure everyone is heard.

Anyway, I hope this helps, it's what I could come up with at the moment. Keep up the valiant effort!
Yeah, this helps quite a bit actually. However, I do have my reasons for the obvious low volume. When I was recording it (the file that is) I had the volume really low because I had earphones plugged in while I was using a form of Sound Recorder to get the file converted to a format I could edit. I turned up the file's volume WAY high, as loud as iMovie would allow it (150%) and it still wasn't very loud. I was quite frustrated mind you but, I had no choice as that was the limit for it.

As for the intro part, yeah it was a rush job, next time it'll be better. This podcast was recorded a whole week ago and, there were a bunch of hoops I had to get through to get this out. For the most part, none of us were really prepared for THIS part of the job. I edited it all in an hour though, trying to make it so parts went well together that happened LATER in the podcast (taking out things that didn't really belong) and putting the funny stuff at the end kinda like you do (teh easter eggs, I always find those fun).

But, yeah, those are my reasons for it. Pretty sad, yeah... XD But anyway, next time I'm going to use Audacity to record and then edit with iMovie again and make the volume loud enough so you CAN hear without using headphones. It should be good... I hope at least.

I'll work on all the editing for the next episode obviously.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks for the great advice Youko. What should one do when they are lagging 6 secs behind like me? I was trying not to speak that much but at the same time want to participate a little. Towards the end I was trying to guess when the persons thing was 6 secs finished to account for the lag but any advice?

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Part of it might be the five people on one chat, or it's the internet connection of one of your guests...or even a combination of the two. In that instance, there's not much you can do; it makes it pretty impossible to do a podcast with that lag.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I listened some things.....besides advice, I'll go more into topics.

When discussing the transfer from vbrawl to brawl+ I noticed you didn't talk about the fact that you can't update your wii and I have some friends who won't try plus for that very reason. *could of been usefull but o well*

Funny thing is I keep telling them its not a big deal but their all like *OMG* and then they go cry

Um...future topic ideas....

*could discuss individual characters for a character balance episode*

*Could discuss a mechanics episode*
---AKA what do people like about the codeset and what don't they in specifics.
---ex. could take about buffering, friction, ASL, amount of hitstun, and more

*An episode that goes in depth to FFA and Doubles in brawl+.*
---You can even talk about Items and ISP in this episode as it may take on a more fun than serious topic

Just some food for thought

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
When discussing the transfer from vbrawl to brawl+ I noticed you didn't talk about the fact that you can't update your wii and I have some friends who won't try plus for that very reason. *could of been usefull but o well*
Well, updating to 3.4 doesn't kill any homebrew functionality that's necessary for playing Brawl+
And honestly, the updates don't exactly introduce killer features

Revven

FrankerZ
Thanks for the great advice Youko. What should one do when they are lagging 6 secs behind like me? I was trying not to speak that much but at the same time want to participate a little. Towards the end I was trying to guess when the persons thing was 6 secs finished to account for the lag but any advice?
Part of it might be the five people on one chat, or it's the internet connection of one of your guests...or even a combination of the two. In that instance, there's not much you can do; it makes it pretty impossible to do a podcast with that lag.
I think the best way to figure out who kupo lags with is if it's just a 1 on 1 for a few seconds and ask if kupo has a delay/lag. If he has delay/lag with everybody, there's clearly a problem there. >_>;

I wonder if it's because we're using Ventrilo instead of Skype...

Revven

FrankerZ
Bumping ths up a page for those that want to know more about B+.

Episode recording should happen next week considering the tournament I was going to go to I can no longer go to because of my ride not being able to go.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I do look forward round 2 because I know next to nothing about the Brawl+ community.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for participating in the next podcast, and this time I probably won't have such a terrible mic. :p

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
SWEET!

shorter music intro and have it fade out rather than dropping off. I'm sure you guys will get more used to talking, just make sure you have an agenda written out on paper etc. It was a rough start, but it got better, keep trying and you'll get better.

Revven

FrankerZ
Due to new events, the podcast will again be postponed either another week to a few days (might be able to do it during the week this coming week). The tourney I originally thought I wasn't going to go to I am now going to, I will be showing Brawl+ off, the first tourney I believe in Ohio that it has been shown off at. Wish me luck and GET MOAR FANZ FOR DIS **** PLZ.

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, this time it will definitely start to be recorded on Saturday. We will be covering the topic of codes and anything else pertaining to it. No idea how long it will be but, given the amount of stuff codes as a general topic goes, it's a lot to do.

Should be up on Sunday hopefully. I'll let you all know if anything changes before then. Just got a new computer and that's what stopped me from doing it during the week.

Mad hype.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for not getting back to you, SMK. I haven't been able to touch Brawl or even really come to Smashboards in the past few weeks due to real life... I'm really sorry...

But anyway, I won't be participating in the discussion tonight. I don't find myself fit to discuss something I've been neglecting. Geez, I get a partner to help me with collecting frame data and I haven't even been able to do anything at all.. Heh.

Revven

FrankerZ
I would like to announce that Episode 2 is in the first post now up and ready for download. I hope you all enjoy and we will (hopefully) see you in two weeks for another episode during my spring break!

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I never really thought of Ganon's jab as a "Smell this, *****!" move. Fresh analogy -- props Almas.

(Side note, the animation is roughly the same as Melee, just a longer retraction. He still hits the opponent with an open palm).

SMK - if the podcasts are going to continue being 1+ hour, you might include a timeline for people that want to skip to stuff.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I think some of the stuff could've been edited out to make it sound a little more professional. Like some of the laughter or jokes that sounded sour. But otherwise, fantastic job on the podcast! Thankyou for making this.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
is it ok if I put the header on the first post in my sig on another website?

I don't want anyone to think I'm stealing their work =x

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
great second podcast, the intro music could still be shortened. Overall good stuff and an improvement over the first ones, the people on it knew what they were talking about and it seemed you had a good plan going into it on what you'd talk about and it was informative.

kudos.

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, I've made up my mind about what the next podcast is going to talk about. Just so EVERYBODY knows, I'm going to say it here anyway.

Character balance.

It's clearly quite popular of a topic atm to talk about so, yah. I'll try to get it done next week during my time off.

Revven

FrankerZ
That's a good idea smk... u should also organized it by character and have ppl just drop opinions during the podcast.
Can't really do that without setting up a stickam for this or some other method of live streaming it. And I don't think I'll be live streaming this until I know it's way more popular than it it is. It's why I want this thread stickied so incredibly badly so it gets more attention and people ask lesser questions in the FAQ thread.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Episode 2 sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than episode 1 ever did. Great job, guys. Much clearer and more straight to the point!

Top Bottom