• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3/8/09 ~ Play 'N Trade ~ SSBB ~ Woodstock, GA

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Sorry for the late notice guys. I didn't officially find out that the tournament existed until today and I live 2 minutes away :\
Luckily I talked to the manager right after school. They were planning on having a free for all tournament with items, a 2 minute time limit, and wiimotes :urg:
I showed them the (waba) rules, and they really liked them, so this is going to be awesome.

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl
Date: Sunday, March 8th, 2009.
Time: Please show up early to register. Singles will begin at 4:00 PM. If time permits, doubles will begin shortly after singles.
Door Fee: FREE
Singles Entry: $5
Doubles Entry: $10 per team.
Prize: $100 first place; $20 second place (the amount will be different for doubles). *WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO WORK IT OUT WITH THE MANAGER FOR 60/30/10 DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF ENTRANTS*

Woodstock, GA 30189
770-924-9300
Across from Etowah High School

General rules (same as Waba)
  • Bring your own controller.
  • Double elimination bracket.
  • 3 Stocks.
  • 8 minute timer.
  • Items are set to "off" and "none".
  • Set team attack to ON. (Doubles)
  • Life Stealing is allowed. (Doubles)
  • All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches. Sets are best of 5 for all "finals" matches.
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors, or by a coin flip.
  • No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS or coin flip will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS/coinflip winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Falco's laser lock is banned.
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. This rule also applies to, but is not limited to: Swallocides and cargocides.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Excessive stalling is banned.
  • Dedede's Standing chain grab infinite is banned. Wall infinites are still legal.
  • Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. Projectile camping is not considered stalling. Ledge camping is not considered stalling if the opponent is within range of punishing a return to the stage.
  • Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
  • Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overtime. Bowser's Klawcide, Swallocides, Cargocides, etc are exempt from this rule.
  • Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Set format (In Order of Procedure)
  1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.
  2. Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.
  3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set.
  4. The first stage will be randomly selected from the starter list. Players may also agree to start on one of the starter list stages.
  5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
  6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
  7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
  8. Repeat steps 4-6 for all proceeding matches.

Starter stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter pick stages
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise

Banned stages
(All custom stages)
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Distant Planet
Flat Zone 2
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Norfair
Onett
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
A bunch of friends from my school that have never had a chance to come to Waba will be showing up to this. So expect to see 10-12 new faces.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
woah if this weekly tourney thing keeps up we will have to claim GA a brawl state

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
It's already more a brawl state than a melee one... melee tourneys like once every five months.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Wish i could make it... who names maybe ill end up making it

if i dont someone 2 stock BBQ with falcon for me

(<3)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Huh? It's a $5 entrance fee. Second place gets $20.

20 - 5 =/= 5

Also, like I said, the pot split will take place if more people come.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
If they want to do more than just publicity, it ought to be 60/20/10 or something with 10% going to store, since there is no door fee.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I will not be at this, as I will be in the Bahamas.
I have to ask: What's up with this prize BS?
Just do a pot split. :x

Also: Marty is just bitter that Roy isn't in Brawl. XD

BBQ°

Smash Champion

Aight, so the only thing Play N Trade originally had was a 5" poster on the door saying there was a SSBB tournament on Sunday for $5. They said 100$ first place and 20$ second place. They didn't say ANY other details, so I had to talk to them myself. I had to talk them about a lot of stuff, and I forgot about asking for pot splits. I am going back to PnT tomorrow to drop off my application, and I'll talk to the manager about pot splits while I'm there.

BigLøu

Smash Lord

Desu not going. Me mad. Who wants to team with me, that places pretty high....

Rayku

Smash Lord
Lounis. Team with me.

If you can't find anyone else.

And if I feel like betraying ZOM~B

Umby

Smash Master
I has no cash and I has no team mate. :(

Actually, if I get my work study check this Friday, I might have some cash by Sunday, but idk. I'd still need a ride and would like a team mate.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Since there's no venue fee, why not make everything normal priced? (10 single entry, 10 per person for teams) IDc either way just sayin this is normal prices.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Since there's no venue fee, why not make everything normal priced? (10 single entry, 10 per person for teams) IDc either way just sayin this is normal prices.
Rayku and I went to talk to the employee that was organizing the tournament today. Basically, he answered all of our questions with the answer "depends on the amount of people showing up".
Some questions were:
-Pot split
-Door fee
-And some clarifications on rules, which included:
----Possibility of doing best of 1 matches
----Possibility of only playing on FD.
----Possibility of 5 minute matches

Now, don't freak out. Rayku is co-organizing the tournament as of 1 hour ago, so we are not doing the gay *** rules this guy wants. The guy believes that 60 people are showing up to this because COD4 had that many entrants, and I basically laughed at him. He said if 20-40 people show up, then he'll play by our rules and do the pot split, etc.

I am expecting 10-15 people from my crowd, 10-15 people from his crowd, and 2-4 people from smashboards. We ARE going to be ok.

I really don't think the $10 entrance fee is going to happen. It's already too late to announce that, and most people are scrubs that would be too discouraged to go if it cost more money.

Top Bottom