• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aiming to Miss - A Winning Strategy

SCOTU

Smash Hero
A common misconception of the lower end of the smash community is that you should always aim your attacks to hit your opponent. This misconception comes from the basis that the goal of the game is to KO your opponent enough times until they lose. This, however, is a bit of a misnomer. While, yes, that's the goal, it's only part of the goal. The whole goal is to KO your opponent enough times before they KO you enough times. When you realize this difference, you can see where this misconception of aiming to always hit comes from, and why it's a misconception.

If you're only aiming to hit your opponent, you're limiting yourself, and your opponent is likely to win simply by not allowing you the opportunity to hit them enough. You have to just do more than only attack when you're going to hit. You have to do a couple things: 1) you need to ensure that you do get opportunities to hit your opponent, and 2) you limit your opponent's opportunities to hit you. These two things are two keys to running a successful on stage game.

How to remedy this? Aim to miss. If you're only trying to hit, then another option you can try adding is aiming to miss. What's the point in this? That's dumb, it just makes openings to kill you with. Not entirely. When done properly, aiming to miss can be extremely safe, and do exactly the opposite of making openings to kill you with.

Ok. So, what exactly is the point of aiming to miss then? It does two things: 1) give you opportunities to hit your opponent and 2) makes it so your opponent can't hit you. Do these seem familiar? There the two keys to a good onstage game i listed earlier. But how does aiming to miss accomplish this?

1) opportunities to hit: When you're aiming to miss, your opponent has a couple of choices, they can jump into the attack, or they can try to punish. Well, if they jump into the attack, there's your opportunity. You instantly gain match control. Who jumps into attacks? Well, they weren't trying to jump into it, they were trying to beat it out w/ another attack, but you did your attack in such a way as to not allow them to hit you with anything that could beat your attack. If they attempt to punish you, here's another opportunity to hit them. It's possible that they attempted to punish with something a bit too heavy, and you, since you avoided their punishment by properly spacing your attack, have the classic setup for punishment. And the feeling for punishing someone for YOU MISSING AN ATTACK sure is amazing.

2) limits opponents ability to hit you: This one's a bit easier to understand. If you've got a hitbox out between you and your opponent, you opponent can only hit through it w/ a larger hitbox (or one w/ more priority). Since you're aware of what attacks your opponent has that can beat which attacks of yours when you do them, you're making sure that basically, your opponent cannot hit you through your attack. Moreover, you're spacing in a way that makes it extremely difficult to hit you when your attack is over. After a while, your opponent may start to not jump in at you as much, meaning they're limiting their approaches, which is your win.

Ok, this is all good and stuff, but how do you go about aiming to miss properly? As you've been reading, I've been dropping some pretty obvious hints as to how to go about doing this. You need to do the following:

a) Make sure that you do your attack in such a way that your opponent cannot out prioritize your attack. Do this by knowing the angles that your opponent could attack from w/ a higher priority attack, and make sure you're not allowing them to use that angle.

b) Make sure you're safe when you're done w/ your attack. Use platforms, fast attacks, retreating attacks, etc...

Every character matchup is different for aiming to miss. It's also different for every stage, and every situation. Basically you just have to get a feel for what's safe to do, and how to do it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Basically, stop just trying to hit your opponent just for the sake of hitting them and doing damage. Give meaning to your attacks and understand the concept of baiting. Creating options for yourself through zoning and stage position is something far to many players lose sight of.

This doesn't have too much to do with what Scotu said, just wanted to throw it out there.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I don't think you mentioned anything about abusing bad attacks to refresh any potential kill moves.
I've been getting into that habit a little more often, nice read, SCOTU.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This is especially important with characters who use projectiles. Setting up openings and trying to take control of important open space is their main goal imo.
Limiting approaches and setting traps is something everyone should be doing. @_@

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'd have to say that this won't work as effectively against opponents with projectile as all they have to do is just fire without trying in hopes you get hit, which you will eventually. That's when you need to close in. And so when they do this, they'll try to avoid you whenever you close in on them. Ever fight a very evasive opponent with projectile? Not very easy unless you too also have projectile.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Aiming to Miss - Something we've all known forever?
Yes.

I'd have to say that this won't work as effectively against opponents with projectile as all they have to do is just fire without trying in hopes you get hit, which you will eventually. That's when you need to close in. And so when they do this, they'll try to avoid you whenever you close in on them. Ever fight a very evasive opponent with projectile? Not very easy unless you too also have projectile.
This strategy can be easily implemented by the projectiler, in addition to the person being shot at. You don't necessarily have to be across the stage doing your attack, but you can definitely be right up in their face putting on some pressure. The concept still applies.

Villi

Smash Lord
Aiming to hit where they might roll or jump is also effective. I've played matches where either of us missed for like 7 minutes. How enjoyable.

Sukai

Smash Champion
In a deeper insight, it becomes a roundabout of reading your opponent right, sometimes they can get past your whiff and deliver something hard. You can't be up front about it, this is the sort of thing that is easier if you have more stage control, because against an aggressive opponent, the might not fare so well.
But with pressure, you can pull it off easier, like Ganon's Up Smash with his IASA frams, or empty jab cancels from Ike, two characters who have an unusual, but surprisingly effective pressure game.

Then variety comes into play, a good player will catch on to empty attacks, and get around it, so as always more than one approach to it is advised, not to mention a double fake out--making your opponent think you're going to hit for a miss, and it turns out you don't and smack 'em one.

In the end it's psyching your opponent out to gain a slight upper hand which is more than enough to grasp control of a match for a good player. A decent mind game, high risk, high return.
Again, it becomes a game of reading your opponent better.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Good post. I agree.

One thing one of my friends does (JunkInTheTrunk) is use shorthop fair with Marth reguardless of if he is gonna hit me or not. I cant punish it, and it makes approching him MUCH harder.

I don't wanna walk into the fair, so I have to change my whole approach to even attempt to hit him.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I either play people who are smart enough that my versions of this don't work, or are too dumb to mindgame. :(

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
In a deeper insight, it becomes a roundabout of reading your opponent right, sometimes they can get past your whiff and deliver something hard. You can't be up front about it, this is the sort of thing that is easier if you have more stage control, because against an aggressive opponent, the might not fare so well.
But with pressure, you can pull it off easier, like Ganon's Up Smash with his IASA frams, or empty jab cancels from Ike, two characters who have an unusual, but surprisingly effective pressure game.

Then variety comes into play, a good player will catch on to empty attacks, and get around it, so as always more than one approach to it is advised, not to mention a double fake out--making your opponent think you're going to hit for a miss, and it turns out you don't and smack 'em one.
The whole point is to only use moves that aren't punishable.

If I'm playing MK against a character with no projectile I'm going to be using a combination of SH/multijump dairs and fair/bairs and autocancelling into dtilt/ftilt. These are all low lag moves and MK's mobility makes it really easy to stay safe and still throw out these pokes to pressure your opponent into doing something wrong, or into giving up more of the stage. It doesn't matter if my opponent knows that I'm going to be doing these moves, bc they are safe moves.

You don't need variety or mindgames to execute a basic bait trap.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I either play people who are smart enough that my versions of this don't work, or are too dumb to mindgame. :(
since smartness is relative, you could just say that your friends are smart enough to not fall for yours. But you'll get better, since you'll keep playing.

You don't need variety or mindgames to execute a basic bait trap.
variety and mixups are an extremely important aspect of these sort of tactics. Nothing is completely unpunishable, and if you keep doing the same thing, they will punish you for it.

Volts

Smash Cadet
I do this all the time with my Diddy Kong, I even used to do this with Dr. Mario. It's funny but I find that a lot of times even if the projectile doesn't come with in spitting distance, some people will pay attention to it as if it were going to suddenly turn into a boomerang.

Why that is I don't know, but I will agree that it makes for an effective strategy.

Levitas

the moon
Note that grabbing to miss is a terrible plan. While scotu's been working on aiming to miss, I've been trying to perfect the grabbing to miss strat, and I'm 0-9 against scotu in tournament sets.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
So why should I 'aim to miss' instead of just hanging back and waiting for an opening? I've been told I play my MK too campy/not aggressive enough, but against Falco or other high tiers, I just keep him in the air or out of range until my opponent does something that leaves an opening (an attempted hit that has ending lag, etc).

So what's the difference between 'aiming to miss', and just staying out of range until you see an opening?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
If you don't do anything, your opponent doesn't have to do anything. If you are jumping around doing unpunishable attacks, your opponent has to take your bizzare attacking into consideration, as opposed to just doing whatever the hell he was gonna do.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Especially if you notice your opponent is aggressive, make them jump into your attacks, don't always bring your attacks to them.

I never "aimed to miss" when I first launched my tournament career. I've wised up since then and I can attest this is a good read for anyone new to competitive smash.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Note that grabbing to miss is a terrible plan. While scotu's been working on aiming to miss, I've been trying to perfect the grabbing to miss strat, and I'm 0-9 against scotu in tournament sets.
Lol ... why would you even try this?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Aiming to Miss - Something we've all known forever?
Yeah.... this is like an essential strategy for Marth, just baiting and punishing, and keeping opponents out by not letting them hit you. This is known, but it;s still a nice read to have everything in one place.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Yeah.... this is like an essential strategy for Marth, just baiting and punishing, and keeping opponents out by not letting them hit you. This is known, but it;s still a nice read to have everything in one place.
well

thats the marth strategy that doesnt work/is boring >_>

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Pretty low tbqh.

@ Arc I'm not winning them because people there are better than me. Duh that's always the reason people lose tournaments. Or someone is having a bad day.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Nice thread, and advice, this lends itself more to specific characters then others obviously.

My one question is why the hell would someone write out a lengthy post with paragraphs and full grammar and then abbreviate the word with almost every time he uses it? It seems so frivolous and would save literally no time at all. :/

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Then don't tell me it's working if you're placing DFL or close to it.

Marth's current, successful metagame = Aggro. Not baiting, camping, etc.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
So why should I 'aim to miss' instead of just hanging back and waiting for an opening? I've been told I play my MK too campy/not aggressive enough, but against Falco or other high tiers, I just keep him in the air or out of range until my opponent does something that leaves an opening (an attempted hit that has ending lag, etc).

So what's the difference between 'aiming to miss', and just staying out of range until you see an opening?
If you're just waiting for your opponent to make an opening, they're never going to give you an opening because they don't need to. Oftentimes you need to force an opening. As I described, you can use properly spaced whiffed attacks to pressure your opponent into making bad calls (openings), while leaving yourself relatively safe.

My one question is why the hell would someone write out a lengthy post with paragraphs and full grammar and then abbreviate the word with almost every time he uses it? It seems so frivolous and would save literally no time at all. :/
Habit, mostly. It's not so much about saving time, so much as I'm just used to doing it, and it's a bit easier for me to read.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Wow, so your saying that you get your opponent to give you the opportunity rather than forcing it on them and just throw out attacks that would miss. Nice. I also like how you explained what the goal of the match was. It's like what someone told me: "Just don't get hit"

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Of course, maybe we could go over some of the other options for Aim to Miss. Like using it to space yourself, like with Lucas PK FIRE or pivot grabs or boost smash.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Lol ... why would you even try this?
Uh, pivot grabbing is made of delicious cake. This is one of my favorite bait moves/counter approaches, and is generally very safe and I do it with MARTH. Olimar and Yoshi say hai.

And where are you placing?
Then don't tell me it's working if you're placing DFL or close to it.

Marth's current, successful metagame = Aggro. Not baiting, camping, etc.
Uh, what are you talking about? You need to do this a lot, even with Marth. Playing aggro doesn't mean acting dumb. You need time to readjust your spacing. You're going to get wrecked if every time you swing your sword at MK, you're going expect to hit him. I can kill you with three moves if that's the case. Shuttle Loop, grab (+ all throws), and dsmash.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Good read!

In a semi-related point, another thing you might miss as a newcomer is the functionality of certain moves beyond just dealing damage to the opponent - for instance, Marth's bair is good for a nudge backward (perhaps back onto the stage after edgeguarding.)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Uh, what are you talking about? You need to do this a lot, even with Marth. Playing aggro doesn't mean acting dumb. You need time to readjust your spacing. You're going to get wrecked if every time you swing your sword at MK, you're going expect to hit him. I can kill you with three moves if that's the case. Shuttle Loop, grab (+ all throws), and dsmash.
Obviously you can't aggro all characters such as MK and various heavies.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Obviously you can't aggro all characters such as MK and various heavies.
Not quite true.
It's possible for all characters (theoretically speaking), but it in all depends.
But the reaction and result all varies on your opponent's move and your response to it.
It is in most cases, more player specific than character.
But--what do I know....?

Top Bottom