• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aiming to Miss - A Winning Strategy

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I agree, and thanks for pointing this out for those who have yet to grasp this concept to read.

Another definition: Don't always attempt to hit your opponent at where they are, but rather where they are going to be.

And as Hylian pointed out; it is good to give meaning and purpose to your attacks instead of just trying to hit your opponent. Attacks can serve many purposes such as baiting your opponent to you, spacing your opponent to limit their options or even to make them feel as if they're limited when they're really not (hence HuGs' concept of controlling the match), or simply to make your opponent flinch and create an opening for yourself. Those are just a few out of many possible motives for the use of an attack. It just goes to show just how deep the Smash metagame can be.

Good read SCOTU.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lol.

*talks to Ankoku and he proclaims how awesome just baiting an entire match does against scotu, and various things about tech chasing in melty blood*

... a few weeks later...

SCOTU MAKES A TOPIC.

And oh man Steel, the contradictions are everywhere. Heavies and MK happens to be most of the high/top tiers and or our Marth's even/bad matchups. Silly billy. Kinda like that time it was about you "HAVE TO PLAY AGGRO IN MARTH DITTOS" then Neo came along.

Oh, but the biggest contradiction of all is bringing "characters" into the realm of strategy. Baiting is an anti-aggression/passive tactic. Any character can do it, and any opponent can respond to it. These topics are more about player style over character traits... Defensive and Offensive traits of characters are different to 'aggressive', 'passive' or 'baiting'.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
"Kinda like that time it was about you "HAVE TO PLAY AGGRO IN MARTH DITTOS" then Neo came along."

Uh.. what? NEO was the one who told me its recommended to aggro in marth dittos in the first place.

And both of you are over exaggerating what I said. I'm not going to sum up Marth's metagame in one word unless I'm responding to someone's ignorance, which I was.

zaborg2400

Smash Cadet
VERY important guide. this deserves a sticky no doubt.
anuther good thing 2 do with this is to consider it an additional strategy. if ur not hitting ur oppenent enuff or if they realize wat ur up to and dont no how to m ix up ur strategies, performing wat u suggested is an easy way 2 confuse and beet out watever ur opponent has 2 offer-most of the time. of course, it wood prolly b harder 2 mentally "fool" a cpu...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Lol.

*talks to Ankoku and he proclaims how awesome just baiting an entire match does against scotu, and various things about tech chasing in melty blood*

... a few weeks later...

SCOTU MAKES A TOPIC.
wrong context. This topic actually resulted directly from a conversation I had w/ ankoku, but, as I implied, it was strictly about aiming w/o the intent to hit. He only aims to hit, and I play extremely defensively in a way that does use attacks w/o the intent to hit. That's where this came from.

Also, i have no clue how tech chases in Melty can possibly apply to this.

Top Bottom