• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He can't grab release downtilt on a jump break. Just mash jump and you're more often than not gonna jump break, and even though he can F-air you out of that, the timing for that can be difficult for him.

And if he mistimes grab release D-tilt or F-tilt by a SINGLE frame, it's a free powershield.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
He can't grab release downtilt on a jump break. Just mash jump and you're more often than not gonna jump break, and even though he can F-air you out of that, the timing for that can be difficult for him.

And if he mistimes grab release D-tilt or F-tilt by a SINGLE frame, it's a free powershield.
Which is why he'd have to buffer it.
All I'm saying is that he can.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'd have to go for an even in this match-up. Watching what tools Bowser has, and how Mario can handle them, this makes it an interesting match.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Maybe my views are different and I learned you can't cape during invincibility frames. I guess I never knew cuz i just cape after them. As far as I know about Bowser, he has an amazing defensive game but doesn't do well against people who can be very campy which is why they give nicknames to characters like Campachu, Spammy McArrow, and Spamus. Imo, all you have to do is outcamp Bowser and he loses some of his strongest points. Characters like Falco, Pit, and Mario can camp Bowser effectively. You take away his amazing defensive game, then its definitely takes out some of his big advantages and gives us an advantage.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Might as well do Dedede second to last.

Any other suggestions? Seconds?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
My suggestion is Ness.

EDIT: This is completely serious, I wanna do the Ness matchup so badly. Not for t3h lulz either. (Because lulz are for uncool ppl k)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I thought Ness was going to be last for good measure.

DJayS

Smash Apprentice
we haven't done DDD yet :O
why not do him now? >.>
I have a DDD matchup and I was hoping I could get some advice on him XD

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It's 70:30 D3's favor.

But I really wanna do Ness. Why would we do him last? That discussion will be fun if we get the Nesses here I just know it.

DJayS

Smash Apprentice

But I really wanna do Ness. Why would we do him last? That discussion will be fun if we get the Nesses here I just know it.
schweet thx for the advice :)
yea imma definitley win my match tomorrow XD
yup yup yup :p

I'd try to give you advice on Ness but I'm not really good at giving advice :/
then again I don't really have any advice >.>
...I'll think of something XD

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The most I can give you is don't get grabbed if they know the infinate.

If they don't know the infinate, go to town by camping and get inside their range, then combo him like it's no tommorrow, end with a cape gimp. Rinse and repeat.

DJayS

Smash Apprentice
cool thx for the advice :)
but unfortunatley i'm pretty sure my opponent knows how to infinate >.<

with Ness, fludd his up-b ;)
but i'm pretty sure you already knew that XD
look out for his PKT tricks because they'll mess you up
and maybe you could try to semi-WoP him off the stage to get him to bust out his up-b so that way you could fludd it

that's all I have right now >.<
but I'll try to think up of more stuff XD

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Straked, you should throw a dart at a picture of the character selection screen or something. lol.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I was considering doing that, but I'd probably break my screen. We'll just do Luigi because he's Luigi.

PKNintendo

Smash Master

Nah, our drive kinda just died out you know.

I mean you guys could start with Fludd>Ness recovery
We argue that it doesn't...

Well I guess some of us would but, it's not as fun as the olden days.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've said it a million times. vs Luigi is even.

Mario has an edge camping, and to a lesser extent edgeguarding, while Luigi has an edge KOing ridiculously early if he can land one of his short ranged KO moves, and then some of his combos do slightly more damage.

Luigi's N-air is very manageable if you know what to expect. Just U-tilt whenever he's above you. It will always beat his N-air or D-air. And I do in fact mean it when I say "always".

The hardest thing to deal with in this matchup is just Tornado, since he will generally use it to punish your ending lag on stuff. Fireballs can stop it in its tracks, and if you predict it, F-smash can beat it.

Mentioning F-smash, Mario's F-smash is so ridiculously good in this matchup, it very much makes up for Luigi's crazy KO power by being a solid counter to a lot of his moveset and physics. F-smash is safe on block in this matchup, and it outranges Luigi's entire movepool. This allows you to consistently mindgame the **** out of him for some clutch KOs in this matchup. If Mario's F-smash KOed just a little earlier, this matchup would swing to Mario's favor. It's that good in this matchup.

In short, both combo the heck out of each other, and while Luigi may have some dirty tricks up his sleeve, Mario can F-smash him in the nuts to put him back in his place.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Vato, to put it blunt... you're wrong. 60/40 Luigi's is just WRONG.

It's 50/50, or MABYE 55/45 Luigi's favor. I don't know why people think Luigi has a decently large advantage in this matchup, it's really not hard.

_clinton

Smash Master
Luigi vs. Mario is even...but the mysterious Mr. L vs. Mario is no where near the word even...

Also tis nice to see other boards wanting to talk about Ness...I guess we are that lovable...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Vato is probably jokin with you and the rest of Smashboards. =P

What better way to put a matchup in your favor than making your opposition overconfident about it? XD

Inferno3044

Smash Master
A2, you said most things i wanted to say about the MU. Only thing I wanna add is our fireballs are definitely better overall. still even.

D3 was settled about a month ago. 65:35 D3 w/o infinite (i think its possibly 60:40).

Bowser is 60:40 Mario. Just camp him and don't be an idiot by blindly approaching.

I have no care for who is next, so choose and decide

Uffe

Smash Hero
I can't see much difference between the two. Both Mario and Luigi have very similar attacks. The only big difference are their up, forward and down specials Their aerial attacks overall aren't that much different. While Luigi has a better recovery, Mario has two gimp games. Overall I think they're evenly matched.

Top Bottom