• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Why? He's terrible.
Everyone, including most Sonic Mains, know Sonic is know where near as good as some of the people he's Ranked with. Yes he is good and can be quite devastating in the correct hands, however when being compared as a Character to most of the cast he is in fact quite bad. Sonic Mains just got their **** together and did work in tournament. Much like we have to do if we wish to see your character take his rightful place in Mid Tier.
Wow, now I really need to meet you and hold a conversation, lol.
You're a smart man, hope I can make it to RtVC.

Not only that, even when Sonic is allowed Ike wins low tiers anyway. Ike in teams is the new MK of low tier doubles. Double Ike is absurd xD

:093:

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Not only that, even when Sonic is allowed Ike wins low tiers anyway. Ike in teams is the new MK of low tier doubles. Double Ike is absurd xD
Ike is that good in low tier doubles? Funny that you would say that. I teamed with JG Wentworth in low tier doubles a couple of months ago. He was Samus and I was Mario. (of course) We fought an Ike and a Ness and i gimped Ness once and Ike twice in game one. I would've gimped them more in game 2, but they chose Castle siege which I don't like and I don't gimp well there except for the 3rd part. Ike is definitely not the MK of low tier doubles.

About the MU ratio, does 55:45 Mario seem right?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ike is that good in low tier doubles? Funny that you would say that. I teamed with JG Wentworth in low tier doubles a couple of months ago. He was Samus and I was Mario. (of course) We fought an Ike and a Ness and i gimped Ness once and Ike twice in game one. I would've gimped them more in game 2, but they chose Castle siege which I don't like and I don't gimp well there except for the 3rd part. Ike is definitely not the MK of low tier doubles.
JG is legit, but you haven't given names to the Ike and Ness...and this took place a couple of months ago.

I just came back from NJ the other day where Inui+M2K (Ike+Ike) won doubles, and both took first/second in singles. They took down legit low tier mains in both, and don't even main Ike seriously. That's all I'm sayin :/

About the MU ratio, does 55:45 Mario seem right?
I agree.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'd like to say f-smash is useless in this match-up, well at least for me. I can't, and will not hit a Sonic with f-smash ever. I just recenetly played a Sonic (WiFi but...xD) and I took Matador's advice, **** that u-smash won me the match (I used it for all my K.O's), he was right on the button for it. Not that I doubted you in the first place.

Eh, I'd like to call it even, but I mean if everyone else agrees to 55:45 then let it be.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
JG is legit, but you haven't given names to the Ike and Ness...and this took place a couple of months ago.
Bajisca (I think that's how you spell it) was Ness and Orion was Ike. They are/were on the top 15 in NJ. JG is definitely legit. I made Mario a threat though and that is enough for me. :evil:

I just came back from NJ the other day where Inui+M2K (Ike+Ike) won doubles, and both took first/second in singles. They took down legit low tier mains in both, and don't even main Ike seriously. That's all I'm sayin :/
Easy explanation: They are Inui and M2K. Inui pwns in teams and M2K pwns period. Also I'm not sure about M2K, but Ike is Inui's low tier main. Maybe not double Ike's but at the same tourney, Inui and Atomsk (Ike and PT respectively) lost to shadow and puffster at doubles jiggz

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
M2K mains Ike in low tiers. Inui I'm very sure mains CF in low tiers, or maybe that was last time when I asked.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Easy explanation: They are Inui and M2K. Inui pwns in teams and M2K pwns period.
Yeah, but Inui also took 2nd in low tier singles, outplacing Kai who is an awesome Sonic player, along with numerous other low tier mains like Rhyme's Samus.

Inui is a great doubles player and is good in general, but he generally is lacking in the singles results department..he's good, but he doesn't main low tier and takes place behind M2K.

Also I'm not sure about M2K, but Ike is Inui's low tier main. Maybe not double Ike's but at the same tourney, Inui and Atomsk (Ike and PT respectively) lost to shadow and puffster at doubles jiggz
Atomsk and Vex teamed up this time, started off using a combo of Bowser/Lucas + Bowser/PT...but as they got higher in brackets they both used Ike. Although they did lose to Kai+Shadow (who eventually took second, putting them in 3rd I believe) I still think that Ike is just the best choice for low tiers.

How did we get on this discussion anyway, LOL. So off-topic and meaningless. It's low tiers, we use who we want and it's fun, who cares xD Ike being the MK of Low Tier was more of a joke anyway.

(waits for all the people we name dropped to enter thread like "wtf?")

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
TL is a straightforward matchup. He's gonna camp you. You will cape his projectiles. His Z-air and N-air are annoying. He sucks at landing KO moves. But you can keep up with him with combos, and edgeguarding.

Oh and by the way. He cannot shieldgrab your N-air or U-air if you time it right. You can D-smash, tilt, or Jab him before he can grab that if you do it right. The best way to set up this frame trap is by doing your SH D-air -> N-air/U-air. In case he catches on to this and tries to wait out your next attack, just try grab instead.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Abuse your FLUDD against Toon Link. I cancels out his arrows and boomerang as well as pushes away his bombs. Between FLUDD, Cape, and Nair you have a solid arsenal against his projectiles. If you're going to try and camp him use FHFireballs. Toon Link's camping game is Short Hop oriented so coming down with a a FHFireball gets around this and his range. It also gives you a few other options on the way down like Cape Stalling to see what he's going to do or to bait something so you can punish with an aerials, or just coming down with a FF'd aerial.

MJG

Smash Hero
- As mario, you guys should be able to gimp toonlink fairly easy regardless of how low we recover. Thus, most of the time, we will hold a bomb while trying to recover to prevent a gimp.
-With this sad, toonlink can gimp mario moderately easy as well.
-Zair beats out your Fire balls.
-Should be pretty knowledgeable to most smashers but NEVER come near the ledge when toonlink is camping near it and you are under 25%. This results in a free stock for toonlink for most characters (Mario falls under this list)
-Getting back on stage is annoying for toonlink. Try to bait out an air dodge and punish or space yourself from the ledge and go from there.
-DO NOT ATTACK TOONLINKS SHIELD WITH MODERATELY LAGGY MOVES! Toonlink can do the following OoS:
N-Air, B-Air, Grab (lol), and the most punishing, Up-Smash.
Even moves as simple as pits dash attack can be punished by an Up-Smash OoS
-Toonlink is floaty, so keep that in mind when trying to do your "brawl" combos.
-A B-Air chain cannot be done in front of mario due to his N-air
-If you can get under neath toonlink when he is in the air, you can either 1) Bait out a Dair and punish severely or 2) Juggle the hell out of him since toonlink sucks once an opponent is underneath him just like marth (Marths Dair is Trash)
-Mario kills toonlink early than toonlink can kill mario (I believe)
-Your bair out ranges us but...Sword>Legs

Perferred Stages for toonlink during this match up:
Pirate Ship-(Reduces chances of being gimped)
Final Destination
Halberd-(Mario is more of a horizontal killer than anything I believe and toonlink will be killing vertically earlier). Keep in mind that mario will be killing lighter/mid weight characters (toonlink) at about 90-100 percent on this stage as well.

TL;DR Pretty much anywhere that allows toonlink to move around and use his projectiles while keeping Mario in Midrange since mario can cape our projectiles.

As for mario. These are the stages that Ive been counted with against him

Battlefield- Not that bad but better for mario in this match up.
Lylat-His fireballs are not affected as badly as toonlinks projectiles.

Something I would also like to add...This applies for any character vs toonlink. If toonlink cannot kill his opponent before he is killed, he WILL have a hard time coming back and getting a quick kill off the bat without receiving a good amount of damage. Hes mainly about momentum and projectile traps to help set up kills/gimps so take advantage of this and punish in your own unique ways.

Thats about it

55:45 Toonlink or 50:50 (I say 50:50 because it is based on Stage dependency and Matchup knowledge since this Match up involves a lot of momentum)

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I talked to Izumi about this MU today. You can't let TL keep the momentum and PS as much as you can. Really PS is one of your most important tools in this MU. Also from what mlg said, i can go with an even MU.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I just thought I would point out...

Mario's F-smash does outrange Ike's (which outranges Marth's too btw). The spacing is a tad strict, but if you know exactly the distance Mario's reverse F-smash hits from, you should be fine.

Also, his F-smash from my experience playing the matchup seems to outrange Ike's F-air. We know how much he loves spacing F-air right? Well, charging F-smash can own that.

Oh yeah and the whole TL discussion sounds about right.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Mario's Fsmash just has amazing range, but it really doesn't change the matchup that much though good to know. Is it good to close TL or is there anything more to talk about?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I know your done with ROB (or not?), but I sorta debate that the ratio for the matchup be 65:35 Mario... I played a ROB on here today who was at my skill level, he mained ROB and me the Mario Bros (more Luigi) Luigi does good, a 60:40 or 55:45 with him comboing ROB easily and the fireballs stopping ROB's gyromite and other stuff, but Mario did great.

Mario most likely has troubles gimping ROB (Who really doesnt?) for his early kills to make up for lack of kill power, but the cape easily reflects ROB's 2 projectiles back at him, and can kill ROB rather quickly if it's a fully charged beam or gyromite. ROB's also very easy to combo, I managed to rack his damage up to almost 70% within a very short time. Juggling him's not much of a problem due to some clunky aerials which seem to be easily avoided. ROB does has a heavy weight which makes Mario's other killing moves sides from the cape rather hard to kill with, but otherwise, I found this to be a great matchup for Mario

65:35 Mario? If not, then definatly change it to 60:40. Luigi has a 60:40 against ROB, and Mario does even better than Luigi in this matchup I think.

Sorry if there's any problems with this, I'm not an advid main of Mario...more Luigi.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
...ROB is honestly a hard matchup for me with his spacing tools that he's got. I think the matchup is more neutral, but you can ask Botastic about it. He's pretty much number one in this matchup.

But anyhow, a good ROB has tools that can easily interrupt Mario's approach and discourage fireball camping. ROB's F-smash is very annoying with its large disjoint and low ending lag and its anti-air properties. A ROB that angles lasers intelligently doesn't get punished for camping either.

Maybe the only reason I think the matchup is hard is because the only ROBs I've played were significantly better than me at the time lol.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Nice write up, mjg, though I would like to point out Halberd is a good Mario stage as well. His Usmash can KO lighter/mid weight characters off the top at mid 90%'s and low 100%'s. Mario can abuse the first part of the stage off the ledge rather well too.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I know your done with ROB (or not?), but I sorta debate that the ratio for the matchup be 65:35 Mario... I played a ROB on here today who was at my skill level, he mained ROB and me the Mario Bros (more Luigi) Luigi does good, a 60:40 or 55:45 with him comboing ROB easily and the fireballs stopping ROB's gyromite and other stuff, but Mario did great.

Mario most likely has troubles gimping ROB (Who really doesnt?) for his early kills to make up for lack of kill power, but the cape easily reflects ROB's 2 projectiles back at him, and can kill ROB rather quickly if it's a fully charged beam or gyromite. ROB's also very easy to combo, I managed to rack his damage up to almost 70% within a very short time. Juggling him's not much of a problem due to some clunky aerials which seem to be easily avoided. ROB does has a heavy weight which makes Mario's other killing moves sides from the cape rather hard to kill with, but otherwise, I found this to be a great matchup for Mario

65:35 Mario? If not, then definatly change it to 60:40. Luigi has a 60:40 against ROB, and Mario does even better than Luigi in this matchup I think.

Sorry if there's any problems with this, I'm not an advid main of Mario...more Luigi.

Might just be me, but sometimes we put own the MU is more in the opponents favor than it should be for the sake of shutting them up. ROB is 60:40 Mario, Falco, Pit, and Lucario are even (Maybe 55:45 disadvantage for Lucario but not 60:40) I've heard that Oli is possibly Mario's advantage though I think it's even (Oli is just annoying to play due to his playstyle), and Bowser is 60:40 Mario. Now I will admit these are my opinions, but I can back them up.

Anyways if we are closing TL, we can go to D3 and get it over with (or just steal from their boards) or go to Jiggz or Ike for the sake of low tier tourneys. I would prefer Jiggz because sometimes I don't fully know how to fight her.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jigglypuff...I honestly have no idea what the matchup ratio is. My first instinct says it's neutral.

If you know how a good Jigglypuff plays, they will play very campy like Wario. And it can be extremely frustrating. However with fireball camping, a few combos, and your Up-smash, she doesn't last all that long. However be wary of her when you go offstage. She's very good at edgeguarding, and Mario's predictable recovery is something that she can capitalize on very effectively.

The more pressure you can put on her with well-spaced aerials and fireballs, the better you will do in this matchup. Trying to stay away from her to camp is usually pointless since she can simply chase down and punish if you try to play keep away.

That's my opinion vs Jigglypuff anyway.

And as for Ike:

A really boring but simple matchup. Intelligent fireball camping is very safe against him. Up-smash out of shield can punish almost everything Ike does on your shield. If Ike is stupid enough to QD your shield, reverse F-smash punishes that. Up-B out of shield can get him as he jabs. FLUDD, cape, N-air, and other stuff also gimps him really hard, and your F-smash can outrange his stuff (even his F-air and F-smash both can get outranged by a well-spaced F-smash). 90% of Ike's game will be punishing you with Jabs and F-air, so the more you can stay safe from those two attacks, the better you will do in this matchup (and if Ike thinks he can Jab out of spotdodge or shield, make sure to D-air him). 6/4 Mario imo...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
and Bowser is 60:40 Mario. Now I will admit these are my opinions, but I can back them up.
You really gotta fight some good Bowsers Inferno. They absolutely will not let you camp them, ESPECIALLY as Mario.

Online, maybe it's 60:40. Believe it or not, fireballs are much better online than offline. Offline though, where they can reliably powershield and punish your lag (very likely with a grab release -> sideB or something) makes for difficulty camping.

Our best tools here are the ability to combo and gimp him easily, and having a consistent approach method. Camping will get you wrecked though. Fireballs are mediocre for that. These things in mind, we're vulnerable to his OOS options, grab releases, and amazing KO power. Even from the surface you can tell that this is an even matchup.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If Bowser's shield is worn out just a little, you can fireball camp all you want since it will more easily poke him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Who here knows Bowser can just Jab fireballs?
Oh yeah! This is totally new! I didn't know this! OMG Mario's fireballs are useless!

Nice try. That's why good Marios fullhop Fireballs to hit you from unique angles. It's also the safest and most effective way for him to camp.

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, nothing is completely useless against Bowser...No Bowser I've played has actually had the time to jab every single fireball that comes towards them...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's also completely useless against Bowser. Well I'm glad we're all cleared up on that.
You obviously missed my point.

GOOD Marios can spam fireballs at angles that are very difficult for Bowser to deal with. He's a big target, and if his shield is even somewhat worn down, he's at significant risk of getting shieldpoked.

And say like I know you want to Jab fireballs, I'll just aim them high so that they burn your face.

You can't exactly afford to whiff against Mario anyhow when his F-smash does in fact outrange every one of Bowser's attacks not named Firebreath. It's better than Bowser's F-smash because Bowser almost always relies on someone leaning into his F-smash in order to make the most of it, while Mario can always reach from outside Bowser's range with his F-smash regardless of what Bowser does. Mario's F-smash does 18%, and aside from outranging so much in this game, it gets people off the stage if it doesn't kill them. If the stage doesn't have a lot of platforms, good luck recovering against a good Mario.

Yes, Bowser can make Mario's life a bit miserable when Mario has to get up from the ledge, but it doesn't really compare to the fact that Mario is pretty darn good at gimping predictable recoveries.

Top Bottom