• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DEVASTATION 2009 : 6/19-6/21 : $10,000 in Prizes (Brawl+Melee)

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Last Updated: June 9th, 2009

Online Registration Closes Friday, June 12th
  • Yup, the time is fast approaching and all you procrastinators out there need to get it going.
  • Anyone who does not register will not get any t-shirts/swag bags unless we have extras and you will have to sit in the sucky day-of line while all the registered people get to walk by you and go directly to the check-in. So how about you get registered and save everyone some headaches: http://www.devastationevent.com

Raffle Gallery updated with new items
  • While we are still waiting for more raffle items to show up, we have been updating the raffle gallery with the stuff we do have on hand, including the exclusive DEVASTATION 2009 Arcade-in-a-Box custom joystick. Everyone who pre-registers gets a free raffle ticket! Check out the gallery here: http://jedirobb.smugmug.com/gallery/7777519_8yEU6

Address Update/Confirmation
  • The Phoenix Convention Center is comprised of three buildings and to help clarify the one we are in, the South Building, we have updated the address to reflect that specific building: 33 South 3rd Street Phoenix, Arizona 85004.
  • When you get to the South Building do not go into the Main entrance but rather, the South Entrance/Lobby that is to the South/Right of the Main lobby. We are cool enough to have our own entrance and lobby directly into the South Ballroom.

Website Information Portal
  • We are closing in on DEVASTATION and so we are updating the site into something of an information hub. Throughout the event we will be live-streaming coverage on the main section of the site as well as updating Twitter, uploading images and videos, as well as blogs and forum feeds. Get over to the Social page and befriend, subcribe, etc. to the various community-sites on there so you are ready for the event: http://www.devastationevent.com/Social
More to come...

Summary:

- Smash Brawl singles tournament with $2,000 minimum guaranteed prize pot.
- Smash Brawl doubles and Melee singles/doubles tournaments as well.
- $2,000 guaranteed prize pots for Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Guilty Gear.
- Online registration is REQUIRED, so run over to the website and secure your spot now!

Full Details:

DEVASTATION is back again for its fifth year and we are bigger and better than ever! To celebrate this anniversary we are blowing the roof off for our players and posting guaranteed pots for tournament games. We have $10,000.00 in Guaranteed Prizes up for grabs so far!

The guaranteed prize titles announced at this point:
- $2,000.00 for STREET FIGHTER IV
- $2,000.00 for GUILTY GEAR XX ACCENT CORE
- $2,000.00 for SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL
- $2,000.00 for TEKKEN 6
- $2,000.00 for GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR

We would like to thank these Supporters for their contributions to the prize pots:
Big Boys & Their Toys
Castles N' Coasters
The Temple Arcade

In addition to the HUGE payouts we are proud to partner with the Big Boys & Their Toys Expo to cover our expo area this year. Registered players will have access to over 160,000 square feet of expo space adjoining the DEVASTATION event floor.

All registered players will receive a free DEVASTATION shirt, custom badge and lanyards, raffle ticket and more; you even get to choose the custom badge online from over 18 options! Click "Add to Cart" on one of the games in the registration section and you will see the badges available this year.

A portion of all proceeds, including the raffle and other fundraisers will go towards Off Campus Jams, a not-for-profit organization that maintains foster home communities and programs for children under eighteen. So not only are you able to attend an awesome Event, but also help out an extraordinary cause at the same time.

What:
DEVASTATION 2009
http://www.devastationevent.com

When is it:
Friday, June 19th - Sunday, June 21st 2009

Where is it at:
Phoenix Convention Center, South Building
100 North 3rd Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85004 USA
Map!

Hotel Arrangements:
Hyatt Regency Phoenix
122 North Second Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85004 USA

Tournament Games List:
- Madden NFL 09
- Street Fighter IV, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced
- Marvel vs Capcom 2
- SoulCalibur IV
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom
- Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced
- Super Smash Brothers Brawl, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
- Tekken 6, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced - Sponsored by Castles N Coasters
- Guitar Hero World Tour, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced - Sponsored by Big Boys & Their Toys
- Gears of War 2 (Wingman 2v2 and Warzone 4v4 events)
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike (3v3)
- Mario Kart Wii

On top of the tournament and expo sections, DEVASTATION boasts a massive casual play area with console games and a truckload (literally) of arcade machines from our partner, Castles N' Coasters, all set to free play for our attendees to enjoy. So, even if you are not the 'tournament" type, you are still welcome to come and play with other gamers.

On top of the tournament and expo sections, DEVASTATION boasts a massive casual play area with console games and a truckload (literally) of arcade machines from our partner, Castles N' Coasters, all set to free play for our attendees to enjoy. So, even if you are not the 'tournament" type, you are still welcome to come and play with other gamers.

Arcade Machine List (on FreePlay):
- Guitar Hero Arcade (brand-new, two player arcade version)
- Killer Instinct (yes, KI 1)
- X-Men (four player side-scroller)
- House of the Dead 4 (two player rail shooter)
- Donkey Kong (classic)
- PGA Tour (golf simulator)
- Spider-Man Pinball Machine
- Family Guy Pinball Machine
- ...and more

We are allowing/working with several groups to coordinate side-tournaments/events, here are some confirmed thus far...

Confirmed Side-Tournaments:
- BlazBlue (Singles and Doubles)
- Raging Storm (KoF 2002 Neo Geo, KoF 98 UM, KoF XI, KoF 2002 UM, Garou MotW
- Super Smash Bros Melee (Singles and Doubles)
- Karnov's Revenge (Singles)
- Battle Fantasia (Singles)
- Call of Duty: World at War: Nazi Zombies (Teams)
- Halo 3 (Singles and Doubles)

Important Quick Notes:
- Registration fees increase April 15th to $45.00
- Registration fees increase May 1st to $50.00
- Raffle ticket prices increase April 15th to $10.00
- Hotel Room rates are $105.00 for double occupancy, rooms running out at that price, make reservations now

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING!

We have more details and surprises to unveil; keep an eye out here and the website for further details: http://www.devastationevent.com

Online registration is REQUIRED, so run over to the website and secure your spot now!

UPDATE: April 2nd

DEVASTATION Updates:

* SNK/Raging Storm Guest Badge variant and Player Badge available on the site (now 18 badges to choose from)
* Confirmed Side-Tournaments: SNK KOF (5 titles with bonus pots), BlazBlue (singles and doubles), Super Smash Bros Melee (singles and doubles), Karnov's Revenge (Singles), Battle Fantasia (Singles)

Important Price Increase Note/Dates!

* On April 15th, the Registration fee will go up to $45.00 and the Raffle Tickets to $10.00.
* On May 1st, the Registration fee will go up to $50.00 and remain there until day-of, emergency registrations.

You wait to pay and you will pay more...

Hotel Reservation Information

* Just a reminder, we have a block of rooms reserved at the Hyatt Regency across the street from the DEVASTATION venue. These room rates are only good until May and then the prices will increase.
* Room rates are $105.00 for double occupancy
* Make your reservation now, check out the Hotel Page: http://www.devastationevent.com/hotel

We have a more updates coming so do not be surprised if we post up again shortly.

Are we done yet? No.
What other stuff are we going to announce and WHEN!? Wait for it...

JDM

Smash Champion
Melee isn't a Official tournament while Mario Kart and Geometry Wars is?

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Geometry Wars is a competitive game?
There are going to be a lot of casual players there (yay for more money in the pot), so we're testing out some casual games like GeoWars and Mario Kart.

Melee isn't a Official tournament while Mario Kart and Geometry Wars is?
It's not like you're missing out on anything with Melee as a side event. All it really means is that you'll have to sign up for it on-site instead of pre-registering like you can (and should) do with Brawl.

We have Brawl singles and doubles as official tournament games, with $2,000 as the minimum prize pot guaranteed for Brawl (we expect the pot to be larger than $2k when all is said and done). You don't see $2k on Mario Kart or GeoWars do you?

In addition to the guaranteed money, you'll notice we have a total of four Smash tournaments. No other series has four tournaments for it. I think we're showing Smash quite a bit of love. ^_^

Akunin

Smash Rookie
More like your showing Brawl alot of love.
There are a lot of games that we want to support and run at DEVASTATION. But the reality is there are only so many staff members and only so many hours in the day. We aren't just about running every game under the sun. We run a tight tournament, and running 4 different Smash Bro tournaments would probably hinder our ability to run the event as a whole. That is why some games are we have to leave up to others to run as side tournaments.

There are plenty of games Dr. Dogg and myself would love to see as officaly DEVASTATION games but we can't do it all.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Mew2king is going to Devastation; this is NOT an April Fools Joke. I talked to him about it like, a few weeks ago.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
it's in Arizona? I'll pass

gonna save up for Genesis!
Genesis is going to be good, and I definitely understand needing money for it. But you can probably make both.

Genesis is a month after DEVASTATION, and there are a lot of SoCal people heading out to AZ since it's not that far from Cali. Get a group together and it won't be a very expensive trip at all.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
make melee with a guarantee pot and a lot of people will show up.
i looked at the forum and no entry fee was shown.
so i looked at the other side events and saw blazblue is $5 for singles and $10 for doubles.
make melee $10 for singles and $20 for doubles or there will be very little OoS interest.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
What a crazy group of games and prize pool. Not bad. (I will be in socal on the 20th, lame)

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
OP Updated!

DEVASTATION Updates:

* SNK/Raging Storm Guest Badge variant and Player Badge available on the site (now 18 badges to choose from)
* Confirmed Side-Tournaments: SNK KOF (5 titles with bonus pots), BlazBlue (singles and doubles), Super Smash Bros Melee (singles and doubles), Karnov's Revenge (Singles), Battle Fantasia (Singles)

Important Price Increase Note/Dates!

* On April 15th, the Registration fee will go up to $45.00 and the Raffle Tickets to $10.00.
* On May 1st, the Registration fee will go up to $50.00 and remain there until day-of, emergency registrations.

You wait to pay and you will pay more...

Hotel Reservation Information

* Just a reminder, we have a block of rooms reserved at the Hyatt Regency across the street from the DEVASTATION venue. These room rates are only good until May and then the prices will increase.
* Room rates are $105.00 for double occupancy
* Make your reservation now, check out the Hotel Page: http://www.devastationevent.com/hotel

We have a more updates coming so do not be surprised if we post up again shortly.

make melee with a guarantee pot and a lot of people will show up.
i looked at the forum and no entry fee was shown.
so i looked at the other side events and saw blazblue is $5 for singles and $10 for doubles.
make melee $10 for singles and $20 for doubles or there will be very little OoS interest.
Did you look at the site linked in the first post?

$10 for Brawl singles
$20 for Brawl doubles

$15 Melee singles
$20 Melee doubles

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Genesis is going to be good, and I definitely understand needing money for it. But you can probably make both.

Genesis is a month after DEVASTATION, and there are a lot of SoCal people heading out to AZ since it's not that far from Cali. Get a group together and it won't be a very expensive trip at all.
Except he's like 14 years old.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
yeah but that info wasn't there or on the forum post

kira i aint hatin the info really wasnt up there and still cant find the melee entry info
http://www.thetemplearcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42

i actually want to go to this
My apologies, that's my fault. I forgot the pricing hadn't been added to the FAQ or site. Jaxx posted the info in the other thread. But if you have any additional questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Also, we'd be down to look into housing for anyone who needs it. There's also a decent discount at the Hyatt (see first post for additional info). All of the TVs at the Hyatt have easy access AV inputs so you can easily connect a Wii and/or GCN. And we'll of course have plenty of warm-up and tournament stations.

We also have more stuff to announce, including prizes for players who don't place 1st, 2nd or 3rd so stay tuned.

Akunin

Smash Rookie
For anyone car pooling from out of state with 3 or more people, I would highly recommend possibly getting a room at the Hyatt. We got a group rate so for those with a tight budget rooming with 2 other people because super affordable. If you can't get housing this is probably your best option. the hotel is literally right across the street from where DEVASTATION is being held. Its better than sleeping ont a tiny couch or someone's floor, and as DrDogg mentioned all the TVs have AV inputs :)

http://www.devastationevent.com/hotel

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
For anyone car pooling from out of state with 3 or more people, I would highly recommend possibly getting a room at the Hyatt. We got a group rate so for those with a tight budget rooming with 2 other people because super affordable. If you can't get housing this is probably your best option. the hotel is literally right across the street from where DEVASTATION is being held. Its better than sleeping ont a tiny couch or someone's floor, and as DrDogg mentioned all the TVs have AV inputs :)

http://www.devastationevent.com/hotel
Your best parking option is also at the Hyatt, so anyone driving should probably look into it unless you're being housed by one of the locals.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Quick reminder that today is the last day to register at the lower price point. Any registrations after today will pay a higher fee.

I'd recommend registering asap to avoid paying higher fees.

^_^

joeplicate

Smash Master
tai, if I go to this (meaning, if other people go and give me a ride), I'd like to house with you

and do you need to register for melee only?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I think Melee is just a side-tourney, so you don't have to register for it.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Melee is a side tournament, meaning that you sign-up day of. Although, we actually expect a huge turnout for Melee so we've dedicated Friday to Melee singles and doubles and Saturday to Brawl singles and doubles to ensure we have time to run everything smoothly.

Lovage

Smash Hero
joe lets go to this, i should have a car by then
oh man this will be during summer...****
i want to see all the fighting pros

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
If you happen to stay with me, bring sleeping bags. I have a very hard floor.

If Adam decides to come, I'll ask my mom to make pho for everyone (doesn't mean she'll say yes, but what the hell)

Oh, and I can only take in like, 5 people.

joeplicate

Smash Master
yeah alright, I'm down as ****

last final is on thursday, june 11th, so I'll be back home soon by then

tai I would like to stay with you please n____n

Top Bottom