• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Weekly Match-Up Rediscussion: R.O.B

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
As the number of characters left to discuss in the Peach Weekly Match-Up Discussion thread begins to dwindle, I've have decided to start up topics for rediscussing characters who I feel may need to be covered again. This is primarily due to potential changes in the match up, new discoveries, new tactics and how they may have affected the match up. Also, for some characters, because they were discussed a long time ago, they may be out of date

Now because I can't trust some of you on this board, I'm going to copy/paste these rules on all of these rediscussion threads:

-SUPPORT YOUR CLAIMS WITH EXAMPLES/EVIDENCE/THOUGHT/VIDEO. Do not say "Snake beats Peach" or "Peach owns Wolf" or something out of the blue without explaining why, you are just wasting thread space. Keep intelligent discussion.

-We are here to learn, not fight. We're all trying to become better Peach players, so please don't get into over heated discussions - learn and be reasonable.

-This thread serves two purposes. A) To determine how the matchup goes for Peach. B) To determine how to handle the matchup. So not only post why you think it goes (see guideline below), but post strategies and what you do that works.

-Feel free to add really good tactics you discover of a character already discussed. New tactics are helpful and don't think just because its already been discussed not to add anything, or we will never get better information on the matchup as the meta game progresses!

- PLEASE let me know if you want me to highlight anything from the thread discussion into that respective character's "summary" on this page. I'm not always sure whats the best advice and whats not so help point it out to me for me to highlight

- Attempting to ridicule someone to prove your point will not be tolerated. It disgusts me when people try to do this. If someone struggles with something and you don't or if someone thinks the match up is such and such because of this and you think 'well you can do this and this, why are they saying that?' for the love of god, explain to them your viewpoint. Insults such as 'well your air game must suck if you find this hard' are pathetic, childish and I will mostly likely disregard whatever else you have to say

I wish I didn't have to feel the need to do this as it clusters up the OP of each of these topics and someones going to have a cry about me putting this but sadly, I can't trust some of you. I don't care about personal feuds or the like. Keep the discussion match up related ok?

Now that's out of the way...this rediscussion will be dedicated to:

R.O.B

Insta-Tent plus camping gear: Just add water. And lasers

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
60:40 pch imo just b/c of dair spam above rob's up-tilted fsmash range. his utilt or usmash oos is too slow to punish it.

And pch also ***** his recovery w/ turnips and offstage floated aerials like nairs or bairs. the rob will prolly try to catch u w/ fair so mix it up w/ sh dair, maybe turnip spam outside his ftilt range.

it doesn't hurt to play a little slow at times to figure the ROB out and wut moves he tends to use since once u figure him out toading his slow aerials and his ground game isn't hard at all. then there's the whole gyro stealing + floated aerial thing or glide tosses or w/e. Also b/c of the gyro stealing he really can't camp peach well at all, lasers are rly easy to shield and don't do much knockback anyway unless u go ahead and eat a fully charged one.

wut rob can do those is be really nasty to us offstage, dair can occassionally spike the parasol but i find it tough to deal w/ a ROB who knows how to place his back airs offstage rly rly well. edgeguarding is probably the best way for a ROB to beat peach as well and his ground range can harass her too. it's just that not having a real answer to well spaced dairs hurts ROB so much. meh, just my opinion. ;o

hiROI

Smash Lord
I have problems against ROB big time. I faced a ROB at a tourny a week ago and I realized that I dont know how to approach a ROB. He will usually start with the laser, then the gyro charging, then the laser. But when I was above ROB's head, he is helpless, like Razmakazi stated, with his slow OoS options. I say 55:45 Peach or 60:40. Its just hard to approach >.<

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach is 60:40 advantage on ROB. I've faced t0mmy, Jamnt0ast and ShadowRob and am very convinced of this- Sky will back it up too.

The Peach has to know the matchup, but this matchup is really tough for ROB. Dair shieldpressures ROB like crazy, fair tends to shieldpoke, Peach's turnips rack up damage offstage, and Peach can take his gyro and perform aerials with float and he doesn't get it back. Peach even has gimps on him if he recovers low...float against ledge, release as he gets near, drop with invulnerability and nair while he's up-Bing. He can't avoid it.

Plus, he's easy to sweetspot usmash against and Peach can nair between his fair chains.

The key is powershielding his projectile game, and either nairing faster than his nair comes out or toading his nair. ROB's best option is to camp with ftilt, back air and laser + gyro and he can force the Peach to have to seriously think, and make it difficult, but IMO it's the ROB that has to outplay the Peach.

Sky`

Smash Lord
My initial opinion is that Peach completely obliterates ROB.

My credentials?

I've beaten all of the best ROB's on the West coast in tournament, (Hitori, t0mmy, ShadowROB,) Though I haven't had the pleasure of playing jamntoast.

However, HugS is playing ROB... like he should be played, and thus it gives peach some trouble. ROB has little to no answers to Peaches Dair while being pressured. He doesn't have the frame speed to punish her between Dairs, and he doesn't have the frame speed to dodge out of it effectively. As for Spotdodge downsmash, if a peach can read it every time (And it gets pretty easy) They can just short hop down air. Your hitbox for your Dair will out last their spotdodge, and they will be hit immediately after. When it comes to Gyro, be not afraid. Peach has to live her life dealing with Items, and whoring Item control, so the gyro shouldn't cause you too much stress. Pick it up, and like Diddy's bananas, bait the ROB such that He can't make a new gyro unless he grabs the old one, and you are going to defend that old Gyro as long as you possibly can.

When ROB's coming back from the stage, a torrent of turnips helps, but nothing else. I find that chasing ROB off the stage often leads to a Nair to the Face during your Fair if you're not careful. But ROB is just so easy to see and read, that it's no wonder that Peaches greatest asset in this matchup is her toad. Toad Toad Toad Toad Moar. Haha.

But now, A new era of ROB has dawned upon us. Though ROB has no initial answers to Peaches pressure, he DOES have an answer to keeping her at bay. ROB's Ftilt and Fair Out space her completely. Leaving her only approach to be turnips. Her Dair is checkmated by his Ftilt, Her Air game is there in thwarted by his Ftilt and his laser, and your stage game is there in hindered by his Fair spam. If the ROB knows how to space, and plays defensively Like HugS Does, Peach will be given a lot of trouble. HugS is in my opinion, the best ROB in the US, and it's because he plays his ROB like it should be played. Patiently.

So I'll put it this way.

If you're fighting a Regular, Mainstream ROB, The Matchup's gonna be 60-40.
But if you're fighting a ROB similar to HugS, The matchup's going to run about 55-45 if not Even.

T0MMY

Smash Master
My initial opinion is that Peach completely obliterates ROB.

My credentials?

I've beaten all of the best ROB's on the West coast in tournament, (Hitori, t0mmy, ShadowROB,) Though I haven't had the pleasure of playing jamntoast.
You mean when I two-stocked you and then I forfeited the match?
I like how they sent you after me in crews at BiO 2 and I messed you up ^___^

My opinion:
No, R.O.B. has a slight advantage on Peach simply because he can KO her and she can't get a KO on him. He should grab the veggies out of the air and glidetoss into combos way better than she can use them, which shuts that down. His F-air and F-Tilt will outdo everything she can throw at him (shutting down the D-air approach). She'll just get hit with lasers and gyros and her own veggies until she gets hit by a B-Air, N-Air, or combo'd into an U-Smash.

My credentials?

I've beaten every Peach on the west coast, Edrees and Praxis and including Arizona and Nevada Peach players.

Praxis said:
Dair shieldpressures ROB like crazy, fair tends to shieldpoke, Peach's turnips rack up damage offstage, and Peach can take his gyro and perform aerials with float and he doesn't get it back. Peach even has gimps on him if he recovers low...float against ledge, release as he gets near, drop with invulnerability and nair while he's up-Bing. He can't avoid it.
The F-air & upward angled F-Tilt shut down the D-air approach, if you hit the shiled R.O.B. can roll out of it between hits and F-tilt or F-air you again, if you pull back you'll eat a laser.
Peach's turnips should never rack up much damage. They will benefit R.O.B. (the player should have a lot more familiarity with throwing projectiles than you because of Gyro practice, additionally his glidetoss is a huge advantage compared to her little one).
If you throw a veggie at him during recovery, he can always N-air or F-air through it.
Her F-air can shield poke, but that's why there's shield angling in the game... whenever you have your shield up and Peach is in the air, you angle it up, wait for the D-air and roll or if she mistakingly F-airs your shield, punish with an attack out of Shield.
Peach cannot gimp R.O.B. under any circumstance. It should never happen. If a R.O.B. is directly under you and you are dropping & N-airing that's way too late to be in the initial booster (he boosts way below the stage). Even if that connects it should not gimp. There are a lot of other attacks that gimp way easier like Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop, and I learned to ukemi that real quick, even if it takes 3 in a row, lol.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It gets really annoying when people say one has the advantyage on Peach just because she can't kill them. The Damm characher can't kill more then half the roster well. So stop using this **** already.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It gets really annoying when people say one has the advantyage on Peach just because she can't kill them. The Damm characher can't kill more then half the roster well. So stop using this **** already.
But...isn't the kill what ultimately counts?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The key is powershielding his projectile game, and either nairing faster than his nair comes out or toading his nair.
Yea... the nair is what gets me. :ohwell:

Parasol is awesome in this match too - Rob is just so gigantic. xD

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
One more matchup I need to challenge someone at! I 2nd ROB and if one of you is going to Genesis, I wanna pit my Mario and ROB against you.

I'd think the fact that ROB has a laser makes D-air kinda iffy for Peach in this matchup. Rather she's going to be on the ground a lot more unless she was N-air/B-airing out of shield.

ROB I'm pretty sure also has significantly better stage counterpicks.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
"ROB I'm pretty sure also has significantly better stage counterpicks."

Depends on the region.

Green Greens is practically a Peach auto win xD

I'd think the fact that ROB has a laser makes D-air kinda iffy for Peach in this matchup.
Why would Peach be floating at a distance enough for ROB to laser snipe her...? She jumps into floats when close.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
But...isn't the kill what ultimately counts?
If that was the case, she not beat Ganon, olimar, bowser, And go Even with DDD. People need to realize this ******** problem Does not mean she is at a disavantage. She has things that back her up and make up for it. And people always fail to realize that when talking about MOST of het match ups.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I don't know what about Peach makes this matchup so delicious for me.

I usually stick to Peach in teams, but when I play her in singles and R.O.B. comes up, it's always a good time.

To me, it seems like she excels where other characters fail against R.O.B.: close range. Usually R.O.B. has the tools to punish heavy aggression, but Peach just seems to eat everything up with how she can weave in and out of his different options pretty effortlessly, save for forward tilt.

Is it bad if I play the matchup like a 2D fighter; look for a knockdown, and then try to get gay with crossup shenanigans? If Peach knocks R.O.B. down, it's game over for the next like...20%, or so I've experienced.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Tommy, I only lost to you in friendlies. IIRC we went pretty even in all our matches =) We never played in tournament. Please don't take my matches in friendlies to mean much, I don't really try nearly as hard.

Peach can kill Rob just fine, just learn to down air --> upsmash trixies combo. Not an actual combo but works most of the time. (Don't let the final hit of down air connect, land and upsmash) This ESPECIALLY works if the ROB is good at smashi DIin your down airs. He's gonna be so focused on getting ready to smash DI it that he wont realize the last hit didn't hit you and he's suddenly just floating there while your upsmash is about to connect. Try it guys. He, conversely, cannot do this to her because you can drop turnips and down air the ledge, making it tough for him to keep doing this. He doesn't want to do this because you WANT to be in close range, he doesn't. It's to his disadvantage to Plank.

Also, Peach can Plank rob if he starts to camp and she has a lead. Trust me he can't punish her down there because he's not mobile enough to make a quick move like most characters who can punish you for planking. Just drop, up air during your invincibility frames and up b. If he gets close you have the close to close combat you want, if he keeps camping you win the match.

Also Peach can combo ROB very well while holding his top. People seem to forget how crucial this is. When I lose to ROB i ask myself did I hold his top for a whole stock? Usually if I lost it's because I forgot to do this.

Close to even probably.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
How cant ROB stop planking? Surely Up B hover offstage (note, far enough away you cant simply throw out a DJ B Air or something) to timed laser/gyro would stop it.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I know I suck against Rob, so my opinion probably doesn't matter, but even I don't think that ROB has a definite advantage against Peach. ROB's gyro can be used against him the same really as Diddy's bananas, and against a Peach player who's used to catching items and use them (i. tunips) then can use it to the advantage as well. Tommy's reasoning on Peach's lack of ability to build Turnip damage makes no sense to me since unlike the Gyro, if Rob has a turnip, Peach can just pull another turnip, while if the gyro is caught, then Rob has one less projectile to use against her.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
If that was the case, she not beat Ganon, olimar, bowser, And go Even with DDD. People need to realize this ******** problem Does not mean she is at a disavantage. She has things that back her up and make up for it. And people always fail to realize that when talking about MOST of het match ups.
Yeah you have a point.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
"ROB I'm pretty sure also has significantly better stage counterpicks."

Depends on the region.

Green Greens is practically a Peach auto win xD
Well, I didn't count Green Greens obviously because it's usually banned. =/

On the flipside, Luigi's Mansion is an autowin for ROB. And that almost is never banned. Other stages that are better for ROB include RC, Japes, FD, and Frigate.
Why would Peach be floating at a distance enough for ROB to laser snipe her...? She jumps into floats when close.
There is something called "aiming" that ROB can do with his laser, and that covers any approach that wasn't from COMPLETELY above.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Well, I didn't count Green Greens obviously because it's usually banned. =/

On the flipside, Luigi's Mansion is an autowin for ROB. And that almost is never banned. Other stages that are better for ROB include RC, Japes, FD, and Frigate.
It's legal in WA and Texas and a few other regions.

Mansion is banned up here xD and is it an autowin vs Peach? I'm given to understand that Peach is really good there. Japes isn't a very good Peach CP either xD

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
How cant ROB stop planking? Surely Up B hover offstage (note, far enough away you cant simply throw out a DJ B Air or something) to timed laser/gyro would stop it.
No, the point is that if you plank ROB has to play a close up and aggressive match in order to stop it, and this is what you want ROB to be doing - playing aggressive and close. That's the idea. Your solution falls right right where I want ROBs to be. Close and personal.

It's just a simple way to make sure ROB doesn't make a comeback by camping you. Once you are in the lead you should really be in control here. I never plank, but when people start camping me, I will plank to combat it. Once they get aggressive again I just jump off and fight them again (because they come close to hit me off the ledge) but, if they start retreating and camping again I just go back down again. I just repeat this. Basically its making them unable to camp you.

Peach is so good with her off the ledge game that its extremely viable to play this way against campers.

T0MMY

Smash Master
No, the point is that if you plank ROB has to play a close up and aggressive match in order to stop it, and this is what you want ROB to be doing - playing aggressive and close. That's the idea. Your solution falls right right where I want ROBs to be. Close and personal.
I've never had a problem dealing with planking. I can send a Gyro to the edge of the stage for an edge guard, angle a laser down, and grab the ledge or drop with a B-air/F-air.
R.O.B. actually does great in close quarters, toe-to-toe is actually not a good place for Peach to be with R.O.B., even though she has her fast n' nasty slaps--but just a quick step back and he's within striking range and she's not.

Tommy, I only lost to you in friendlies.
Peach mains are always throwing out how they beat everyone even if they were just friendlies and including forfeits, so I'm playing that way now too X^)
Our matches were about even, and I know friendlies are not tourney matches, I'd love to play you in a serious match though, considering our friendlies were lots of fun.

Tommy's reasoning on Peach's lack of ability to build Turnip damage makes no sense to me since unlike the Gyro, if Rob has a turnip, Peach can just pull another turnip, while if the gyro is caught, then Rob has one less projectile to use against her.
It's not about playing keep away with the veggies, it's about using them in place of the Gyro. If she steals the Gyro, it works both ways, steal her veggies. If she tries to rack up damage by tossing them at you, just grab them out of the air and glide-toss to your heart's content. She'll think twice about throwing them. Same tactic I use against Diddys. It's not a hazard, there's just more stuff to play with.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Peach mains are always throwing out how they beat everyone even if they were just friendlies and including forfeits, so I'm playing that way now too X^)

It's not about playing keep away with the veggies, it's about using them in place of the Gyro. If she steals the Gyro, it works both ways, steal her veggies. If she tries to rack up damage by tossing them at you, just grab them out of the air and glide-toss to your heart's content. She'll think twice about throwing them. Same tactic I use against Diddys. It's not a hazard, there's just more stuff to play with.
You might wanna direct that comment directly. I'm not one of those Peach mains. And by reading your post, you assume way too much. And seem too bias with your own character. Cause you think Peach is really nothing and play ROB. One reason I dont like asking high tier players for match up help with Peach.

Also you seem to forget the point of holding your lil top. If we have it, the hell we gonna need turnips. what turnips you gonna steal. Once less projectile you can't use. Also I can hold it and still fight you with it thanks to Floating. people forget that Peach can do one thing no other character in the game can. And that is fight with any item/projectile in thier hand. I don't even need to toss it at you. All you have is his laser which is not really fast and can be evaded no problem.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Our matches were about even, and I know friendlies are not tourney matches, I'd love to play you in a serious match though, considering our friendlies were lots of fun.
Yeah but I've never done it, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't do it to me. That's all :)

ONE MORE IMPORTANT NOTE: You can forward smash with an item (gyro or turnip) in your hand. Simply hold A at a time when it won't throw the item then press c stick forward while holding A. When you let go of A your forward smash will release. Useful trick.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Well, I certainly am not the best ROB, but I do play a fair amount of peaches. Here's my input, from my perspective.

First and foremost: the D-air is a HASSLE. IMO, ROB has a sub-par shield. That is to say, his odd shape compared to most other characters results in him getting shield-poked more often than most. Peach's D-air utterly eats his shield, even a full one, and the ROB has to tilt it up. With that said, since my thumb is already moving tilting up, it makes the U-tilt come out just a SMIDGE, and I mean a VEEERY small increment of time, faster than if I didn't.

I've found pretty decent success with using the U-tilt in this manner when I'm directly below her as it feels (at least to me) that even though the D-air hitbox is silly, it sort of goes at a diagnal angle somewhat. That is to say, if peach is facing me, the box looks like this: / /

Being directly underneath puts me at a small gap in the hitbox, which gives enough time to U-tilt in. I don't know if this is accurate, i'm more or less going off of how different it feels like through the experience of getting hit with it from the front,top, and back.

With that said, I've yet to see a peach remain perfectly stationary when using her D-air or following it up, and so I immediately roll once or twice away. I don't risk challenging it OOS with my slower F-tilt/F-smash, as the roll seems to eat up whatever window I have between the D-air and the next move.

Angled F-titls and angled smashes DO more or less **** your float, but you have the advantage of being able to move in and out to bait it, and you guys can easily punish a whiffed F-tilt with a falling N-air.

On the subject of N-air, I personally have a lot of problem with it, especially when recovering; Im hit offstage-->up+b to recover-->get hit with a turnip-->you pull another while I start my up+b-> come out & turnip drop at a safe distance-->Im hit bc i cant airdodge in my up+b & i cant cancel it fast enough if its all done close together--> free N-air.

Turnip spam as an edgeguard gives me personal trouble, although I see it as a possible "personal hurdle" as opposed to a character hurdle as I have the same problem with peanuts, and eggs. However, ROB's get-up attack is less than spectacular, and so getting hit with turnips in that position is quite common, his roll onto the stage leaves him too open for whatever you guys want to do, and the turnips mess with ledgehopping. Ledgejumps get ***** by U-smash and N-air, and ledge-hops eat turnips.

Parasol cuts off a lot of our off-stage attemps if your trying to come from below. We do have the edge if you're trying to come back horizontally, aside from an unexpected toad, or an F-air that we didn't see coming.

IMO, once i eat a 50-60% combo off of respawn, Peach isn't that hard to deal with. I definately feel "more in control" of the matchup after that, and much calmer; but the seemingly "automatic" percent lead forces ROB to play from behind; something he doesn't particularly like doing- especially in the latter stages of the match as it negates a good camping trip.

If the fight is on FD, its in our favor slightly., as we can camp from a longer range. As you said, you win up close and can negate in a few seconds what weve spent seemingly forever to do. BF swings the matchup in your favor handily- there isnt much room for us to camp, a series of D-airs monopolizes most of the stage, the platforms lead to easy... everything, and in the event you guys pull a beam sword it literally takes up about 3/5 of the "ground stage" and the area from the inner half of the side platforms to the outer halves of the top platform. Too much stage control there, imo.

B-air is our best bet, but it also results in one LESS kill move for us, something we already have a hard time doing. You can see it coming, and can probably toad it. N-air is the same. F-air works well, as ROB can usually sneak in 2-3 before you reset enough to counter with an N-air.

That's all I can think off at the moment. Sorry if its sporadic, im just thinking off the top of my head.

Edit: 55/45 your favor on larger stages, 60-40 on smaller ones with platforms, 55-45 our favor on most of our CPs, imo

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Lies.
lol.

But, sure, I'm always up for making money off low-tier characters like Peach. Watch for my F-airs!
So guys, I played t0mmy to settle the debate.

Results:
6-1 my favor.

Two MM's and friendlies. 7 matches total.

55:45 Peach, but I'd lean for 60:40 before even.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
So guys, I played t0mmy to settle the debate.

Results:
6-1 my favor.

Two MM's and friendlies. 7 matches total.

55:45 Peach, but I'd lean for 60:40 before even.
loool, talk about eating one's own words.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I can't say much about ROB since I don't really know how to handle the fool.

I played holynightmare's rob at apex. one of the troubles he gave me is that he spaces the hell out of me. and you boys know I am a spacing god. He makes it hard to get inside and hit him. He is the smartest ROB I have ever seen and played. I have that match recorded. I lost the match but it was close I think.

from what I have seen holy do or UNTIL I can fighure out what to do on this character. I'm gonna slighty give the match to ROB. And the funny thing is, Holy does not even camp like most typical robs.

Top Bottom