• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hazardous effects of Pit's Mirror Shield on G&W's health and other various finds

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
---

Hello everyone! This is Mr. Escalator of the G&WBR, and I decided to make an open door thread for everyone to see some of our documented tricks/glitches. These don't exactly have to do with anything that goes on in the group, just some lesser known things that happen regarding our character.

---

The hazardous effects of Pit's Mirror Shield on G&W's health:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PdIOZvK5_4&fmt=22

In this video, it's shown that reflecting G&W's upB with the Mirror Shield sends G&W flying in the opposite direction, usually fatal when done correctly.

As in the description, credit goes to both Ruuku and R@vyn for informing me on this one.

*It's pretty loud for some reason. Sorry about that.

Two Pirate Ship exploits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTkjItgz5c0&fmt=18

G&W is able to Dair under the rock transformation on the Pirate Ship stage. Similarly, he is able to hide under the rudder of the boat, taking occasional boundary damage, but not dying if done right.

G&W's Norfair-Parachute Glitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkvLt2fM97c&fmt=18

G&W's parachute animation, for whatever reason, doesn't get affected by Norfair's large lava wave and random background spurts. This isn't completely investigated, as G&W occasionally is hit out, but it's still a cool find.

Neb's Oil Slicking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSxDT_G1mA&fmt=18

Found by our very own Neb, G&W's unfilled bucket can trip Snake's Dsmash, inexplicably.

Short video on G&W's Uair in teamsaving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD6_pncqc3Q

Shows how G&W's Uair can be used for saving teammates in doubles, because of it's trait of resetting knockback.

G&W's UpB restored by windboxes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZs5ti9nboA&fmt=18

G&W's UpB parachute can be restored when he gets influenced by a windbox, such as Pit's Wings of Icarus and G&W's Uair. This video simply shows this, since it's not a very well known fact (but more well known than these other videos), and it also shows an application of this feature through boss battles. Even less people realize that G&W can upB almost indefinitely on some bosses heads in Boss Battles, as they create a windbox around themselves. I don't think this applies for the Hands or Tabuu, but I havent checked. Definitely on Rayquaza, Petey, Duon, Galeom, and Porky.

Use this thread to either discuss the things shown in these videos or to point out other things that should be here but aren't included. If you find something, I can either upload it to your own account, or upload it using mine and will give you credit in the description.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
****, good finds on all of them.

Pirate Ship should be banned.

Noa.

Smash Master
God, my computer acted gay and lost my original post to this.

Anyways, overall, these tricks are pretty neat and useful to know. I already knew about two of them. Oil slicking and uair teamsaving. Oil slicking was in a guide somewhere, and UTD mentioned uair teamsaving in one of his posts about doubles.

About Pit's glitch, it shouldn't rarely happen. The timing seems a little difficult unless you put B-stick, and I doubt most Pit players b-stick, as far as I know. G&W's recoverey is also too fast to fall for such a tactic.

I was extremely interested in the pirate ship exploits. Hiding under the fin could be considered stalling, so it will probably not be allowed in excess. But the rock glitch is great. It's really cool, and I'll try it out in a match if the situation ever calls for it. I've thought about counterpicking Pirate Ship for some matchups. None the less, these would help when an Ike counterpicks you to Pirate Ship.

The Norfair glitch is really helpful. I'm not good at timing the UpB to abuse the invincibility frames to protect myself, and this is easier. I did some testing on how G&W stays safe from the lava. When G&W is in the parachute animation, he goes to the right and the left. If you are facing the direction you're going, you should be safe from the lava. That's what I found out anyway.

Some other things you could add would be how G&W can pop MK out of his tornado with UpB, and I remember somewhere there being a ledge glitch on the right side of Pictochat. I don't remember exactly what it does or how it works. Hmmm.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Esc, your awesome, :).
Hey man, the credit goes around to you guys as well. You found Oil Slicking, and if that isn't an obscure cool glitch, then I dunno what is.

****, good finds on all of them.

Pirate Ship should be banned.
I'm glad it usually is! Water camping is broken for people like G&W, MK, and Toon Link. It's also quite broken for Ness and Ike as well. The matchups get wicked skewed when you fight these guys on it.

And the lolcatapult.

As well as the rest of the GW community <3.

Seriously, you guys are amazing.
Seconding this <3

The Norfair glitch is really helpful. I'm not good at timing the UpB to abuse the invincibility frames to protect myself, and this is easier. I did some testing on how G&W stays safe from the lava. When G&W is in the parachute animation, he goes to the right and the left. If you are facing the direction you're going, you should be safe from the lava. That's what I found out anyway.
Wow, I'm glad you looked into this. So G&W gets hurt when he he's not facing the direction he's heading? If that's true, this thing is much more abuseable. Typically, I just sheild the big wave, though, and use this glitch on the random lava spurts that come in from the background.

Some other things you could add would be how G&W can pop MK out of his tornado with UpB, and I remember somewhere there being a ledge glitch on the right side of Pictochat. I don't remember exactly what it does or how it works. Hmmm.
I actually already have footage of the ledge get up mechanic. I was going to show everything you can do from the getup, like amazingly fast Usmashes, but on second thought it would probably be good enough to just show what it is and where it can be done (Pictochat, Yoshi's Island, Distant Planet, etc).

And here's a hint for the next one I will be shooting for tonight.
It involves wind hitboxes. Also in this vein, Boss Battles :)
Try not to spoil it if you know!

bobson

Smash Lord
Using an attack immediately after up-Bing will cancel stage gravity changes like on Pokemon Stadium 2 and Pirate Ship and put you in a fastfall. Doesn't work with windboxes, though.

Neb

Smash Lord
Hey man, the credit goes around to you guys as well. You found Oil Slicking, and if that isn't an obscure cool glitch, then I dunno what is.
Oh, I completely agree! I just thought I'd thank you for making the clips for everyone, you know?

Noa.

Smash Master
I actually already have footage of the ledge get up mechanic. I was going to show everything you can do from the getup, like amazingly fast Usmashes, but on second thought it would probably be good enough to just show what it is and where it can be done (Pictochat, Yoshi's Island, Distant Planet, etc).
Whatever it is, I didn't know that you could do it on Yoshi's Island as well. That actually makes it more useful. I tend to do bad on this stage, so it'll help.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
wow oil slicking looks really useful x_x
i will try this later!

as for the pirate ship ones,it could also be useful if it was allowed as a counter pick D:

nice finds^-^

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
The best way to do "Oil Slicking" or remove Snake's Dsmashes is to jump above them and then use buckit. Let yourself fall until the mine explodes. You won't get hurt. Otherwise if you try running at it and buckiting you might slip, but doing it this way you can never mess up ;)

Noa.

Smash Master
wow oil slicking looks really useful x_x
i will try this later!

as for the pirate ship ones,it could also be useful if it was allowed as a counter pick D:

nice finds^-^
New York doesn't allow Pirate ship as a counterpick? Even Florida's conservative stage list allows it.

The best way to do "Oil Slicking" or remove Snake's Dsmashes is to jump above them and then use buckit. Let yourself fall until the mine explodes. You won't get hurt. Otherwise if you try running at it and buckiting you might slip, but doing it this way you can never mess up ;)
Doing it this way also helps because if you try to oil slick on the ground, it gives the Snake time to get out grenades or mortar slide.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
A new video has been edited in the very first post. It's the last link, I hope you guys enjoy!
Uh, no hint for what I'm doing next yet. Sorry :p

Noa.

Smash Master
Wow, as if G&Ws recovery wasn't broken enough already. And this makes G&W top tier for Boss battles. I <3 G&W's glitches and tricks!

How are these things found out anyway? These are very random. lol

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
i once faced a g&w on wifi and he did the windbox to me while i was recoring and i jumped at the same time. i ended up suiciding myself by going up too high

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I found the Norfair one, the Boss battles upB one, and the Pirate Ship exploits by just ******* around playing the game. The boss battles one was a long while back through just playing it as G&W only. Norfair must've happened by random; I dont remember it too well. The pirate ship was me testing out little things you can do by going under water with Dair, which stemmed from a video I saw where G&W went out of the stage on The Zoo stage in the SSE by Dairing under the water pier.

foofatron

Smash Cadet
I was in team battle on wifi and it was about 10 seconds left, D3 had used his upB and I used my upB and (it looked like he hit me right before the parachute popped out, invincibility frames I suppose.) he slide off my to the right and went straight down and died.

Noa.

Smash Master
Can't you up b again after the mirror shield anyway? This shouldn't really change the matchup.
You don't get UpB back after the mirror shield reflects you because it doesn't do damage. That's what makes it such a good edgeguarding tool. Also, it doesn't change the matchup, but it's just a general tidbit you should know, just in case a pit also knows about this.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
this is pretty crazy. =) i like this thread.
good stuff!

also, looking forward to this.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Hey, i got some that i just found tonight. BUt i hella want full Credit. We take cash or credit at Publix. anyways.

1. Did you guys know that we can jump completely under Smashville??!!??
2. Better yet we can go completely under Battlefield!!! fairly easily once you know the best way. And i've never seen it done or talked about. Has this been known??

3. Plus we have a Snake Dash.... It is disappointingly not as cool, but its there. You go from dash to completely stopped(no sliding) Upsmash, charge or no charge.
To do the Snake Dash thing, you just do it like you would for snake but the timing is alot harder and i think that you have to wait until the dash animation is done.

IF anyone needs help or will make a video with some sweet Credit for publix, i'll tell you all of my ancient chineese secrets to going under battlefield and smashville and the Publix-Dash-cancled upsmash.

4. I've got a third one, but its kinda way too Advanced techniquey for G&W, but its where you run forward , chef, and retreat reall nice. its like spacing back airs, but with chef,( pretty hard to do, but it can be easy) no B-stick changing required. If anyone of you guys want to make a video of that one let me know.

5. And this one i kinda just need to put into a video. but try this. put your control stick all the way down and to the left or right a little.(not enough to make it go into the 45 degree grove, but probably in the middle of that so like 22 degrees forward or back. now roll your thumb across your jump and A button,.
.....might be usefull maybe, somehow.

I think the going under smashville and spaced chefs are the most useful. Bam! i contributed to my community. I was previosly "Gameandwatchmewin" for your info.

I'm in finals week so i really can't respond until after monday, i shouldn't have played tonight. Statistics, developmental psych, Consumer chem. boooo

Noa.

Smash Master
Hey, i got some that i just found tonight. BUt i hella want full Credit. We take cash or credit at Publix. anyways.

1. Did you guys know that we can jump completely under Smashville??!!??
2. Better yet we can go completely under Battlefield!!! fairly easily once you know the best way. And i've never seen it done or talked about. Has this been known??

3. Plus we have a Snake Dash.... It is disappointingly not as cool, but its there. You go from dash to completely stopped(no sliding) Upsmash, charge or no charge.
To do the Snake Dash thing, you just do it like you would for snake but the timing is alot harder and i think that you have to wait until the dash animation is done.

IF anyone needs help or will make a video with some sweet Credit for publix, i'll tell you all of my ancient chineese secrets to going under battlefield and smashville and the Publix-Dash-cancled upsmash.

4. I've got a third one, but its kinda way too Advanced techniquey for G&W, but its where you run forward , chef, and retreat reall nice. its like spacing back airs, but with chef,( pretty hard to do, but it can be easy) no B-stick changing required. If anyone of you guys want to make a video of that one let me know.

5. And this one i kinda just need to put into a video. but try this. put your control stick all the way down and to the left or right a little.(not enough to make it go into the 45 degree grove, but probably in the middle of that so like 22 degrees forward or back. now roll your thumb across your jump and A button,.
.....might be usefull maybe, somehow.

I think the going under smashville and spaced chefs are the most useful. Bam! i contributed to my community. I was previosly "Gameandwatchmewin" for your info.

I'm in finals week so i really can't respond until after monday, i shouldn't have played tonight. Statistics, developmental psych, Consumer chem. boooo
As far as I know, G&W can not go under either smashville or battlefield. I've tried it myself and I'm pretty sure he can't do it. Unless you were able to do it, then go ahead and tell us.

G&W's "snake dash" is when he tries to perform a DACUS. I knew about this and many other G&Ws probably know about this as well.

I don't understand your last two on how to space chef and that whole explanation of the controller tilting. Those may or may not be new.

I'm most interested in the spacing chef onw and how you can go under smashville and battlefield.

Neb

Smash Lord
I know for sure G&W can travel completely under SV, but I've never tried BF. I'm not sure what he means with chef though, wasn't clear enough.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Going under the stage isn't practical unless you are MK/Pit/ROB.

From what I can gather about the fourth one, he is RARing a Chef in the middle of a run and then B reversal-ing it. I could be wrong, though.

The 5th one? Beats me. I can't follow the steps to see what happens since my wii broke the other night. He'd have to describe what's happening better.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Going under the stage isn't practical unless you are MK/Pit/ROB.
From what I can gather about the fourth one, he is RARing a Chef in the middle of a run and then B reversal-ing it. I could be wrong, though.

The 5th one? Beats me. I can't follow the steps to see what happens since my wii broke the other night. He'd have to describe what's happening better.
Maybe we can chase them now. it could be deadly scary for Pit or save you when its two against one in teams. It would be scary to use in a tourney, but it is possible and smashville is almost easy.

Yep i was RARing it. but its easier if done from standing still and jumping backwards. from standing still and looking <-- that way. its jump --> neutral b and then --> quicker than thought possible. it could be used to edge gaurd. i'll ttry and make a combo vid for me and put it in it.

the 5th one is just a weird looking retreating short short short hopped key, it can go forward or backwards.

I get cred for this. all my teachers and principles said that i couldn't do it, but i did and then i did it under Battlefield like 3 times in a row.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
If you are going under the stage to chase them, they will get the ledge first and then punish you, leading to your death. Hell, if it's Rob, he will just kill you half way.

foofatron

Smash Cadet
I was in team battle on wifi and it was about 10 seconds left, D3 had used his upB and I used my upB and (it looked like he hit me right before the parachute popped out, invincibility frames I suppose.) he slide off my to the right and went straight down and died.
I was brawling and it works on GaW's key too.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Publix, I have been going under smashville and battlefield in tournament matches for over 6 months now...

I have also been using RAR'ed B-reversaled sausage for awhile. If you need proof just ask sethlon as I showed him before Whobo lol.

There are no recent videos out of my GW, but it looks waaayyy different then most haha.

Another thing I like to do is run off a stage and B-reversal a sausage into the stage(works best on BF). The sasuage goes up the side of the stage and basically hits anyones up-b or teather before they get to it, which allows you to stage spike them no matter what. I did this on the live stream of Whobo to lights shiek when I 3 stocked him :).

Publix

Smash Apprentice
MR. Esc. i respect you and your shanshrew, but i don't get all this skepticism. It isn't as practical as the battle ship exploits, but it is big option that isn't useless.

I know we probably won't see it in a tourny vid anytime soon,(i wouldn't do it in a tourny myself) and its crazy to try under Battlefield, but i'm gunna find some useful way to use it. and i guarantee it will be in a video by the end of the year. Its just not perfected nor has it tested on a competent person. i think it could mess up a pit. i should be able to play a good one soon. I'm gunna make it practical and incorporate it.

I think with pit it would be easy(with practice) to know if you should commit or not. We'll see.

Edited part: i posted the above and then saw Hylians post. Heh, your crazy.. for trying it under battlefield, but i can see how once its practiced its almost guaranteed( i was on battleship for like 40 minutes and started getting it during the last 10 minutes)

WEll dang. no cool cred for Publix. I dunno if you're my hero or not Hylian. Supporter/dream crusher is what you r. What other secrets do you have Hylian?

Sorry about the long post
,but with the chef its more of a wave-bounce, so you could approach with it. i haven't perfected it or tried it out yet tho. G&W's position would be similar to spaced/ approaching with turtle and retreating. and if done after running off stage you would be bounced under the stage,(your momentum is reversed at an instant) its a RAR wave-bounced chef,

Noa.

Smash Master
I tried the shorthop b-reversed chef, and it's pretty nice/ useful.

Also, if you're running off a platform or offstage, if you do Judgement during the animation which you're falling off the platfom, you move across the air whie doing judgement. It looks pretty cool, and I actually used it in friendlies a couple of times.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
That's Ledge Boosted specials. It's been known since like the beginning of Brawl's release in the US, and for G&W it works with Chef, Judgment, and the bucket (not full bucket, I think).

Top Bottom