• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Best Neutrals/Counterpicks: Generalization

Metatitan

Smash Master
I saw some people asking for this type of thread. I'm doing the moveset stuff so I'm not gonna make a thread on what to counterpick for each and every character :laugh:. But I do like the idea of a thread where we can discuss what we think yoshi's best overall neutral and counterpick stages are. Also, include the cp/banned stage list in here, if we decide one of those is his best cp we'll list that and a legitimate counterpick.

D

Deleted member

His best neutral is smashville by far. FD is too big which helps some characters camp him+his eggs dont cover everywhere. BF has too many platforms and stops chaingrabs, plus its hard to camp their. SV allows us to egg the whole stage, have a platform for uairs+platform camping.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
What about Yoshi's Island? I personally don't like it, mainly because of the obnoxious central platform that just seems to get in the way of everything. The shy guys block our eggs, probably more effectively than they do to a large portion of the game's projectiles. However, the random inclines can facilitate DR, and allow for safer Yoshi Bombs. It's an interesting stage for a neutral, and while the cons outweigh the pros for me personally, I can see some playstyles doing some neat things here.

As for Yoshi's favorite neutral, I keep changing my mind between Final Destination and Smashville. It depends on the character, really.

bigman40

Smash Master
What about Yoshi's Island? I personally don't like it, mainly because of the obnoxious central platform that just seems to get in the way of everything. The shy guys block our eggs, probably more effectively than they do to a large portion of the game's projectiles. However, the random inclines can facilitate DR, and allow for safer Yoshi Bombs. It's an interesting stage for a neutral, and while the cons outweigh the pros for me personally, I can see some playstyles doing some neat things here.

As for Yoshi's favorite neutral, I keep changing my mind between Final Destination and Smashville. It depends on the character, really.
You've just said why Yoshi's isn't neutral for us lol.

Metatitan

Smash Master
i kinda think one of his better counterpicks would be green greens. the blocks make it so u can shove a free egg in their face, or if they approach from above u can uair or usmash. other options ive looked at are norfair and pictochat. norfair for ledge game, pictochat for living long and slants

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
If you ever CP pictochat, make sure tyour opponent doesn't play DDD.

His CGs make that stage hell for a Yoshi.

As for neutrals it depends who Im playing against. Someone I can CG I would prefer FD / SV. Anyone I cant I would rather go to BF almost everytime. The slants on Yoshis help us a ton imo, also the platform won't block our eggs most of the time. Shyguys aren't around enough to be a huge issue imo.

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
Final Destination is a great stage for him, but it all depends on his opponent. If you're up against a spammer/camper/chain-grabber, then you might be having some trouble. If not, then you should be okay. Nothing will interupt your chaingrabs unless there's an item in the way.

Smashville is a great stage for Yoshi. Like Burntsocks said, it helps with our aerial/platform camping and we can get some easy hits with our u-air if our opponent likes to be on the platform. It's a smaller version of Final Destination, and it's one of the few stages in which Yoshi can travel under the main platform from one side to the other.

Yoshi's Island is a very good stage for Yoshi. The shy guys are barely a nuisance, so you shouldn't worry about them that much. Although the slanted ends might mess up our chaingrabs, they allow us to auto-cancel our ground pound so we can grab the edges, and that's a great set-up for ECE. Personally, it's my second-favorite stage in the whole game. I just love the songs and the visuals.

Battlefield is a pretty good stage for Yoshi. The main problem is that the small platforms interfere with our chaingrab, and having a platform interrupt your ground pound is something that you don't want to happen. Other than that, Yoshi can have alot of fun moving from platform to platform because of his excellent air movement, and using u-air on his opponents should be fairly easy with all the platforms around. This is another stage in which Yoshi can travel under the main platform from one side to the other.

I think the best counterpicks for the Yoshi are the ones that allow him to come from under the stage, i.e. Delphino Plaza, Halberd, and Norfair. Of course, those are just my personal favorites.

cellphone

Smash Rookie
luigis mansion is always good...for his SH attacks. though limited in eggs, you will still have an overall upperhand gainst any opponent

Depster

Smash Champion
I disagree there, Luigi's mansion just gives too many characters distinct advantages, not including Yoshi, really. I think that Halberd, Castle siege, and Norfair are a few of the better counterpicks. Sometimes I even choose Brinstar. Believe it or not, though, I think Japes could potentially be a great CP for Yoshi. Peach, who is good there, is like 0-2 against me there. It's just so easy to camp in the middle and the platform in the middle helps with the camping a ton. No CGs, but it lets Yoshi also live to stupidly high percents and his Uair and Nair are beast here.

Metatitan

Smash Master
ace likes japes, but statistically its a horrible stage for yoshi, we have enough trouble killing as it is. with green greens, the blocks let u up smash and uair camp (straight up eggs as well), and if they try to break the blocks its a free egg toss in the face. low kill zones actually let us kill relatively earlier compared to other places, so IMO its a great stage for yoshi.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Rainbow Cruise, Rainbow Cruise, Rainbow Cruise. ^_^

I... can't even begin to explain how awesome this stage is. It is almost-always my counterpick and it has yet to fail me.

Well, I'll try to explain the stages good points:

1. Low ceiling allows for early u-air kills.

2. Yoshi can actually camp there since his eggs are so versatile.

3. Walk-off ledge for chain-grabs.

4. Completely supports aerial combat, so it is the perfect stage for characters with a worse aerial game than Yoshi (which is quite a few).

5. Platforms allow Yoshi to weave in and out of range with ease with his aerial mobility.

6. Yoshi can very easily gimp people right before the stage starts back at the ship by throwing his opponent away from the edge just before the screen lowers.

7. Is an AWESOME counterpick for characters with bad recoveries (Yoshi not being one of them!).

It's so sad that it is almost always banned in Florida, though (which makes absolutely no sense since it is obviously a counterpick stage).

Metatitan

Smash Master
u cant really camp on rainbow cruise, though it is a good stage for certain chars. i always thought u of a norfair cper polt

bigman40

Smash Master
RC is a semi-camp place. On the second area, we can camp under\behind them to egg camp, or we can utilize our aerials to the full extent there.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
No, I rarely counterpick Norfair, actually. It's just that Rainbow Cruise is always banned (stupidly), and my opponents almost always ban Halberd, so Norfair is usually the next best thing. =/

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I love pictochat. It's got the slanted edges for same yoshi ground pound. It's got the drawing hitboxes so you can release grab someoen into them then hit them after they hit it. It's got a wide stage for longer chain grabbing. The only bad thing is that the ceiling is high, but really, up air is so strong it hurts other characters that kill vertically more than you. Castle siege is good. I guess I just like big stages that allow Yoshi room to fly around everywhere.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I think it should be pointed out since not many people know, yoshi can fthrow chaingrab most people on pictochat into the spikes for lots of dmg (Throw into a spike, dash other way, regrab and throw into other spike) I've done it a few times and you can regrab before they hit the floor so its inescapable, you need to be opsitioned right to start it though, but it hurts ALOT, its pretty much a free stock if you get it at the beginning of the spikes

Edit: Forgot to point out that delfino is easily my favorite, i love dairing through the bottom, which can also be done on halberd, castle siege has the middle walkoffs if CGable people aren't being careful, and if they are you can just egg spam them so it works out pretty well

Depster

Smash Champion
I need to work with RC more =0
Castle siege is probably my best CP right now, though. I really do win there most of the time.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Whenever I pick RC, my opponent picks MK, and that is nto something I like to do anyday. I generally just CP delfino / FD / Halberd, sometimes even Orpheon if they play chars like Falco / Shiek

Airborne

Smash Lord
I love pictochat. It's got the slanted edges for same yoshi ground pound. It's got the drawing hitboxes so you can release grab someoen into them then hit them after they hit it. It's got a wide stage for longer chain grabbing. The only bad thing is that the ceiling is high, but really, up air is so strong it hurts other characters that kill vertically more than you. Castle siege is good. I guess I just like big stages that allow Yoshi room to fly around everywhere.
nonononono you're missing the point of pictochat! it's the whale and the hand...... yoshi loves his slides! ^.^ they give so much momentum in the air, and if you're opponent is close enough, you can actually combo the downb stars into a uair, nair, or dair. =P

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
PictoChat is good for Yoshi. Also, to add to what you were saying, I especially love when the backslash that crosses the middle of the stage and trapping my opponent into the little corner on the left to get some fast jabs in. I'm assuming you would know since you use Peach and she has a great jab as well.

Unfortunately PictoChat is also banned in FL =(

nonononono you're missing the point of pictochat! it's the whale and the hand...... yoshi loves his slides! ^.^ they give so much momentum in the air, and if you're opponent is close enough, you can actually combo the downb stars into a uair, nair, or dair. =P
LOL Too Good

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
JJ isn´t a good cp?
i mean, nice possibilities to attack under the stage with an uair and crazy ECE mindgames between the platforms
but i think the reason is the height from the stage, isn´t it? =/

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
but yoshi isn´t the only one with this problem on JJ
Zeldas usmash for example as the same problem like yoshis uair
i think JJ should be chosen only if the enemy has problems with it

.Marik

is a social misfit
Rainbow Cruise, Rainbow Cruise, Rainbow Cruise. ^_^

I... can't even begin to explain how awesome this stage is. It is almost-always my counterpick and it has yet to fail me.
Quoted for truth.

Rainbow Cruise all dayyyyyyyyy.

Best Counterpick stage ever for Yoshi. His aerials are too beast here.

*Edit* And about time one of these threads were made.

Metatitan

Smash Master
rainbow cruise is good, just make sure u don't pick it on a character with better aerials than you (zamus, jiggs, mk, kirby etc)

.Marik

is a social misfit
would it be a good cp against snake? i've heard different things about whether it's better to get him in the air or not...
I would say so. Snake can't control Rainbow Cruise as well as he can control neutral stages.

Top Bottom