• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better with Luigi by hippie. (Play like Zhao and you'll be pro in 5mins)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
CREDITS TO JUNK FOR LETTING ME (NOT REALLY BUT MAYBE STOLE?) THE CONCEPT OF HIS GUIDE AND LETTING ME DEVELOP THIS INTO A DIFFERENT FORMAT, YEAH IM SCRUB KTHX

Hello fellow Luigi brothers. It's been far too long since I've contributed to this board, I feel as if I need to start stepping it up as we are in the 2nd year of Luigi's meta-game since his birth.

Disclaimer : I have the right and experience to write up this guide. No I am not pro or no where near the level of pro (well something near it hehe) but I am constantly keep getting better each day through the practice of people better than me, who are pros and talking to the right people.

This is a guide for Luigi mainers who are on the average to slightly up above average wanting to get better but just can't seem to pass that " brickwall " that's stopping them to achieve that status they want.

Most of this unordered it or maybe a few, so alot of it will be random and just my 2 cents that comes out my mind.

OBSERVATION: This is the most important aspect of any game. This improved my luigi by over 9000 hit points too. WATCH YOUR OPPONENT!! No matter what, you should be looking at THEIR CHARACTER! You shouldn't even be looking at your own character and/or controller. You should know what your inputting yourself, or what your gonna do.

* WATCH THEM! - Follow their fighting patterns, bad habits (i.e spotdodges, rolling) Watch their patterns on what they do on the edge, the direction they DI from espically things like Luigi's Dthrow, airdodge habits, spacing habits, how much shield they have left.

Simply put, watch your opponent. Get inside his mind to win.

Walking: Simple AT right? It's actually simple but effective. It makes a whole difference alot more than you think. How you say? From walking, we can utilize tilts easier. We can powershield easier, not to mention ppl who love to projectile spam us. We can bait ppl with crawldashing. We can do our sliding "pivot" fsmash (not too many you use this). You also don't trip from walking nor does walking increase your tripping chances so you don't have to john about losing some cash :laugh:

Walk more, don't run if you dont need to.

Directional Influence: This is important for Luigi seeing as how he has very poor aerial speed, predictable recovery, and gets juggled like hell. The better you DI, the more you can avoid strings, other atks, live much longer. Also know how to momentum cancel to live longer. To do it, just do Fair > FF > Green Missle. This video tells everything about DI there to know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo&feature=related

Forcing Shield Drop/ Platform Pressuring: This is abit confusing at first, so bear with me. Now when it comes to platform pressuring, Luigi does it best. Luigi can fit about 2-3 aerials in a SH. If they shield it, our aerials can still shield poke them varying on their shield. (shield poke moves like Nair/Dair/Upair). Our aerials will push them off the platform resulting them in tumbling animation. Most people don't tech it. This where you can take the advantage in tech chasing them. While their in tumbling animation, if they don't tech it, we get a free upb.

Forced shield drops can also result in pushing them off the edge if they are near it, they'll be in the grabbing edge animation. This is a good chance for you to read what ledge option they'll use and you use it to snapshot and punish it accordingly. Not to mention we get a freebie in them offstage or koing them who have poor ledge options such as Marth.

By combining force shield drops + platform pressuring into your game, you apply effective damage and put them in a disadvantage position giving you a opening in predicting in what they'll do next

Shield Conservation: Use your shield when you need to. Luigi has a hard time following up if he gets hit or shields it due to low traction at times and his medicore OOS options.

Mixing your game up:: Luigi has a generally easily predictable powershield-able game. Most typical Luigi players tend to rely on Luigi's SH double aerial game solely because it's easier to pull off. But make it stuck to your head that Luigi has plethora of mixups to utilize from . By investing buffering moves, crawldashing, RARing, fireball followups, SH aerial to ground game we keep Luigi's game at top notch.

By using different mixups you keep your opponent guessing, you increase your chances of not getting shieldgrabbed, you keep many options at hand which is vital in Luigi's gameplay, we can surprise them and play with their mind however we please.

USING EVERY MOVE OF LUIGI'S MOVESET IS WHAT MAKES HIM AS A WHOLE CHARACTER!

Powershielding: This is alot trickier then it seems. Well maybe on wifi but you'll need TONS of practice to apply it to it's full use and keep it consistent in your game. With powershielding, we don't slide as we stand in our neutral position. We can enable our OOS options, (Boss loves to PS upb mk's shuttle loops :laugh: ). Projectile spammers are cake walk when you walk to PS. People who have longer range than Luigi such as Marth who LOVE to Fair spam, will have a problem against a GOOD Powershielding Luigi. From that, we can just PS our way inside if your good on the timing.

SO LEARN HOW TO POWERSHIELD! THIS MAKES A VERY HUGE DIFFERENCE IN YOUR LUIGI GAME! THE FASTER YOU REACT, AND PUNISH AFTER YOUR PS, THE BETTER YOU BECOME. THIS IS WHAT SEPERATES FROM THE BEGINNERS AND THE PROS. GLUE IT TO YOUR HEAD!

Know which move is stale: If your Nair is dealing 5%, why keep using it? We can use luigi's other "useless attacks like dash atk" to refresh our main attacks. We want to kill our opponent as soon as possible so we can make a comeback or take a early stock lead but doing so, we have to know which move is stale in order to kill'em quickly, or deal damage quickly as well.

Learn how to Tornado Button Mash Fast: This seems harder for average to nub Luigi players (like Hippie here T.T). By using this, you greatly mix up your recovery game, you increase your chances of not getting gimped, we can go offstage and gimp them w/o worrying if we can make it back or not as long we can tornado button mash alone. You'll be able to retain your 2nd jump so you have room to breath in case they try to gimp you again. This is move is actually pretty decent in teams such as " GTFO I'LL RUN YOU OVER" in a crowd and, you can save your teammate. ( don't see too many people doing this )

Here's our favorite idol Boss whose a good example in why we must tornado mash for our lives :laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjVrS2-I1YU @ 5:47, 7:47 to 7:52.

The faster you button mash, the higher you get & get back onstage ASAP! Try to refrain from using the classic 2nd jump momentum based Tornado because it's a move that is very risky and if you get hit, chances are you'll get edgehugged.

Always use Jab1: This is the meat of Luigi's inside game. When Luigi gets inside, he has SOOO many options just after using Jab1. People tend to get afraid of getting jabbed once, because of how well known the classic " jab upb " early kill. Luigi can mix up attacks after doing a jab as well as playing with opponents mind. (I.e if they shield or spotdodge after you jab them once, wait to see their reaction). Don't use jab 2 because its harder to follow up and easier to escape, unless your doing a full jab combo. SO ALWAYS USE JAB 1 PEOPLE!!

Magus420 has compiled very huge data on jab1 on it's inescapeable/escapeable followups. Alot of credits to him. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907bo

That's it for now. I'll probably update this bi-weekly to monthly depending on how many tourneys I attend & free time I have. Remember to get better with Luigi requires dedication. Yes, dedication. Victories aren't given to you but through practice against pros better than you, is best way to get better with Luigi.

Updates and things to add later.

- need to add wall tech / wall tech jump why you need to master it.
- Buffering
-Crawldashing
-Pivot grabs
- Reverse hyphen smash/ DAC
-fireball
- Ken's shoryuken (lol)
- Alias's buffering guide link and adding his snapshot theory.
- 5/17/09 Do Elh's advice and change Tornado to cyclone as it's official name even though it's gay >_>

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Dash attack has uses that require an experienced luigi player to utilize without getting punished. He put it in quotes cause lots of newcomers think the dash attack is bad.

Hippie, you should link to my dead buffering guide since a bunch of peeps don't know about it, and then you can elaborate. If you want to do it your way, I really don't care either; just suggesting. However, if you do use words like snapshot you should find my relevant post on it from the backroom, or define it yourself. My wallz of text would find a better home with your thread than rotting away in the backroom. Again, just suggesting cause I don't want to imply I want to hijack your thread with all the stuff I wrote that I was too lazy to post xD.

Conserving your shield? Easy. Just powershield all the time. Since you got the how to get better thread for Luigi, I'll probably make up my guide on knowing the differences between shielding and powershielding in battle, since I have a lot to say on that.

Good ish Hippie, Luigi Boards started to flatline again but you revived it with information that will actually improve a player :O.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
LOL, that was what I was missing, I knew i was missing something. Powershield ugh. I just got this down on wifi couple weeks ago and make a dramatic difference in my game. I'm so lazy to make a summary though >_>. So when Luigi boards get a WoT hype guide, my homeboy Alias comes out of his lurking cave eh? Aha.

Don't worry about it, i'll add it somewhere when I get out of my lazy cave. Z,zZz

btw, you guys like my sexy yuigoh card? luigi has over 9000 attack points!!!

edit: alias can u add this thread to the ToC? kthnx

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
LOL, that was what I was missing, I knew i was missing something. Powershield ugh. I just got this down on wifi couple weeks ago and make a dramatic difference in my game. I'm so lazy to make a summary though >_>. So when Luigi boards get a WoT hype guide, my homeboy Alias comes out of his lurking cave eh? Aha.

Don't worry about it, i'll add it somewhere when I get out of my lazy cave. Z,zZz

btw, you guys like my sexy yuigoh card? luigi has over 9000 attack points!!!

edit: alias can u add this thread to the ToC? kthnx
I don't like posting in topics unless I have something pertinent to the metagame, and am generally kinda lazy to post new stuff unless I know the boards are picking up, else my ish will get pushed off the first page cause I wouldn't want it stickied. Between my buffering guide, your thread, and Magus' Jab1 set up threads, the boards are making strides to put pieces together, as a community. Cause you know...that's the point of a forum.

EDIT: Added the thread to the ToC, per request.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Hippie's guide is too good. Especially the Powershielding. Pay attention to that powershielding section. CM/Hippie's powershielding ***** me.

/hype.

<3

no homo.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
You can only save a replay if the match lasted <3 mins.

Eh? Eh? See how I did that?... Yeah, I roll like that.

On topic (and yet somehow, not), I insist you use the official names. Luigi doesn't do "Tornadoes", he does Cyclones. The Tornado Button Mash is the Jumpless Rising Cyclone (JRC or J-RC). Tell your readers that they must learn JRCs because very often someone will try to gimp them after their 2nd Jump, leaving them with the JRC as their only option. YOU MUST RECOVER! Also, remind the readers that if their first Rising Cyclone gets interrupted by an attack, they can do ANOTHER Rising Cyclone. It's not just for mixing up your recovery game... many times it'll be the only way to recover.

I'm gonna teach you guys something important: If your fingers are fast enough (superfast), you can JRC from the bottom blast zone of FD, all the way to the ledge! That's the SAME height as a Jump + Rising Cyclone (J+RC), minus height of the jump which if done right before the Cyclone is less than 1 luigi-height. In other words, Luigi's jump doesn't ever reach its peak when it's interrupted by the Cyclone... it's like wasted jump height. So if you're good at JRCs, you actually gain more height by using them separately. Good times!

WiiGi out.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Since when cyclone was official? I don't any of it being official. Lol last time I heard, most ppl are accustomed to tornado, or "nado" but using cyclone is mostly made to not mix up with Mk's tornado and Luigi's tornado.

just sayin.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
[...] YOU MUST RECOVER! [...]
Do not forget that you must not only mash the B-button, but also yell fervently and loudly, "I MUST RECOVERRRR!!!" While good for loosening you up (which under the mental tenseness of a match can be a brief yet pleasant moment of elation that helps to maintain harmony between your yin and yang), it also may cause your opponent to laugh/snicker and blink, thus easing your recovery. It's a mind game of a balanced soul.

<meditation> Hommmmmm..... Hommmmmmm.... </meditation>

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Since when cyclone was official? I don't any of it being official. Lol last time I heard, most ppl are accustomed to tornado, or "nado" but using cyclone is mostly made to not mix up with Mk's tornado and Luigi's tornado.

just sayin.
"Luigi Cyclone" is official. You can check the Smash Dojo in Luigi's page to see for yourself. It's been the Luigi Cyclone since at least Melee (since I don't believe SSB64 special moves had any official names for secret characters), while Mario's was called the Mario Tornado.

I'm just correcting you guys. Luigi has his own unique spin move... and it has and deserves its own unique name. Cyclone. It's the Cyclone.

Luigi Cyclone - official name
Cyclone - shortened name
Grounded Cyclone - on the ground where its properties are more horizontal
Rising Cyclone - rising by tapping B, with or without the aid of a jump
Jumpless Rising Cyclone - rising by tapping B without the aid of a jump

I'm seriously gonna make some thread on proper names for his moves and ATs; since I'm also tired of people confusing Buffering and FFADs.

Peax.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dash attack has a use, it's just not safe at all.

that means u dont like my guide atash </3

and theres a reason why i put it quotes
You might as well say the one use the Dash attack has...shield pressure near the edge.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
You might as well say the one use the Dash attack has...shield pressure near the edge.
Punish rolls, punish failed techs, and any instance where the opponent is within range and not on the ground, preferably after a Jab from dthrow...if possible.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
"Luigi Cyclone" is official. You can check the Smash Dojo in Luigi's page to see for yourself. It's been the Luigi Cyclone since at least Melee (since I don't believe SSB64 special moves had any official names for secret characters), while Mario's was called the Mario Tornado.

I'm just correcting you guys. Luigi has his own unique spin move... and it has and deserves its own unique name. Cyclone. It's the Cyclone.

Luigi Cyclone - official name
Cyclone - shortened name
Grounded Cyclone - on the ground where its properties are more horizontal
Rising Cyclone - rising by tapping B, with or without the aid of a jump
Jumpless Rising Cyclone - rising by tapping B without the aid of a jump

I'm seriously gonna make some thread on proper names for his moves and ATs; since I'm also tired of people confusing Buffering and FFADs.

Peax.
lol yeah i think you should make a official list. try not to make it so confusing eh? :dizzy:

i still prefer tornado, cyclone sounds so gay imo lol.

I really need to PS more.
Do it. You might get a upb somewhere there.

This can be used as a anti-land move. Since they can't techanically shield it. But idk if they can DI out of it while being in the air, but im guessing they can.

Punish rolls, punish failed techs, and any instance where the opponent is within range and not on the ground, preferably after a Jab from dthrow...if possible.
You can do a jab to dthrow if you can read a airdodge and their DI correctly.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Yeah, but either way it's not a definite of whenever or not you can land it. It's situational. I don't think you'll find too many people who are able to smash DI out of the dash attack, unless they Smash DI down and then shield the last hit? I've never seen anyway do that, but it's possible I bet.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I'm going to read this guide backwards and forwards when I get some time. You got skillz Hippie, real skillz.

The_Demon_Barber

Smash Rookie
How do you Dash attack cancel with Luigi, I've mastered it with Snake but Its completely different with Luigi, and the guides here all seem incomplete and don't even mention Luigi's dash attack percents and frames. I know this is one of his better AT.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
His DAC is alot different compared to Falcos and Snakes. When you charge the DAC you get a greater longer distance from the slide. but it honestly doesn't make a difference because you can just do hyphen smash and still slide not making a huge difference, and it's easier to input too.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I always found that strange, I don't really get it. I'll have to read up on that thread, thanks ALiAs and Elheber

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
One word:

Awesome

This is very important, didn't realize many people didn't do it:

hippiedude92 said:
OBSERVATION: This is the most important aspect of any game. This improved my luigi by over 9000 hit points too. WATCH YOUR OPPONENT!! No matter what, you should be looking at THEIR CHARACTER! You shouldn't even be looking at your own character and/or controller. You should know what your inputting yourself, or what your gonna do.
In general, great guide, learning to button mash 'nado effectively without using your jump is a must. Hopefully, people will get that down right.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
but ive heard of people DAC into a grab with him but im not sure at which frame or what the button input is is there a video of it?
I think you mean this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEhjaL4yV1o

It's like failing a DAC but tilting the C-Stick backward instead of down. It's pretty old... so old that I wasn't into ATs yet. TBH I've never tried it and it should probably be explored in-depth with Luigi if it hasn't already... though it may have already been explored long ago and become forgotten from uselessness. I mean... Luigi's Pivot Grab isn't uber like it is for "mini-tether" grabbing chars like Yoshi or Lucas, and it looks like a normal Dash Pivot Grab.

There should be a thread on this somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look. Just got back from work; I may search later.

Icyo

Smash Ace
Any idea when you're going to update this, hippie? I'm interested in what is coming up.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
dunno really, it highly depends. i'm on a very busy finals this week, (i should be studying lol), and this whole month is tourney hunting month :) (so far I got my 2 tourneys done, 2 more to go) this week i have a tourney and next week or 2 another tourney so i have no clue when i'll update. We'll see about it.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
*bumped and double post* what a horrible thing to do all at once >_>

Kays so like l'm going to start working on this again, for sake of it being summer and inactivity of the board and maybe a few new users on the board wanting other stuffs and **** yeah. So expect some updates at least start of next week. Anyone having any ideas just throw it out like crazy.

Top Bottom