• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If, Then! : How to fight MK with Marth, A situational Guide

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I often claim that I'm a situational player, and I merely choose the best options available to me at any given situation. I feel that if I consistently do this in every situation, I will win. Naturally, it's nearly impossible to do this at fast paced high level play, and sometimes you must play by reaction. However, if you perfectly condition yourself to always choose the right reaction, you'll do a lot better.

That being said, here's what I recommend doing vs. MK. I've beaten many top level MKs in play using these tactics and strategies.

Oh, and I'll suppose I'll disclaim here that sometimes, depending on mindgames, especially conditioning, against different opponents, the options you need won't be here. Use your common sense, and play intelligently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At neutral:
Zone with a mixture of FFFAIR, Nair, Jab, a tiny bit of ftilt, dtilt, retreated pivot grabs, retreated Dancing Blade one, and a tiny bit of shield breaker.
At random mix up dash in shield, dash in Dancing Blade, Dash in grab (usually, shield grab is better, but a little slowed) and a very little but of Dash in Shieldbreaker (watch your spacing). Approaching at random a little bit is O.K.
Mostly stick to zoning with Fair and Nair.

IF MK dashes at you, try the following options:
Pivot grab
Run up and Dancing Blade
Jump away Fair
Roll Forward (lol mindgames)

When MK Tornadoes at you:
If you have a lot of room, Fsmash.
If you have a little room, counter.
If you have very little time, Shield.
I'm going to be experimenting with retreating Usmash, because I found out it goes through Tornado from the side (sex).

When MK hits your shield with Tornado:
If you have little shield, Dolphin Slash immediately.
If MK is in kill range, Dolphin Slash immediately.
If your shield is strong and MK lands far, run and Dancing Blade.
If MK lands very far, let him go, he barely scratched your shield. Zone more.
If MK autocancels Tornado ??? I'm going to start trying retreating Fair/Dair.
I hate getting my Dancing Blade shielded when I'm supposed to be punishing tornado.
If they foolishly land right near you, Usmash OOS. If they land in tipper fsmash/dsmash range, you know what to do.
If MK tornadoes just at the top of your head: Crouch (yes, I do this and it works when MK's try to cut my sexy blue hair.) Shield if necessary.

When Metaknight is knocked far from the stage and recovering, ALWAYS grab the ledge immediately, then:
If MK is still very far, refresh the ledge by dropping and jumping. Do this until MK is in range.
If they glide, challenge with Bair from below, or Counter. Mix-ups are good.
If they glide onto the stage, chase them, gauge what to do depending on landing.
If they glide very low, as if attempting to fly under the stage, drop quickly and footstool them. I've netted MANY K.O.s doing this. If you're good, Footstool Spike (I don't usually attempt this). YES, YOU CAN FOOTSTOOL PEOPLE OUT OF GLIDE.
If they simply fly (jump) to a range where they can hit you, hit them first. Marth outranges MK in the air. Make sure to check your DI in case of a mishap.
If they Drill rush, counter off the ledge.
If they drill rush at kill percentages, reverse UpB off the ledge. If done properly, you will survive.

If they tornado to recover this is try, try the following things based on these situations:
If you are still invincible: Try DB1. It's transcended, and you're invincible for a short while even after letting go of the ledge. Since the MK may try and hover over you to hit you while you're on the ledge with Tornado, they'll pull back a bit. This may cause them to drill rush off the stage.
If they are high up, get off the stage and chase.
If they are low, unless you are amazingly pro, do not attempt that spike, just counter.
Also, in any situation, you may attempt Dolphin Slash in a way described for Drill Rush.

MK should never reach a position to use Shuttle Loop to recover, if he got hit far off stage. If he's close, then simply stay on the stage, and get ready to edgeguard from onstage. This will make it extremely hard for MK to recover reliably. Similarly, he should be hit for attempting Dimension Cape. If you are refreshing the ledge properly, he should not be able to Dimension Cape to the ledge. Be patient, and observe the options your opponent chooses, then react appropriately.

When MK is hanging from the ledge: Zone with Nair and Fair from a reasonable distance, but not so far that he can safely stand onto the stage.

If he uses an option that involves climbing onto the stage, punish appropriately. You should be able to do this well by now. Dtilt if he stands, as it can't be spot dodged, and even if you mess up the timing, and he shields, he'll go back to the ledge. Fair if he jumps. Counter if he tornados. If he Tornadoes through you, and you acquire a stun jacket, Neo has brilliantly discovered that DB1 -> grab will combo REGARDLESS OF SHIELDING (omfgsex).
Nairing and Fairing in place shuts down rolling pretty good.
Don't get close enough to get Uaired, and just pay attention.
If he drops into a position to reverse SL, you have many options. Shield -> UpB is the most reliable, but if you have some other option, go for it. I sometimes smash attack to punish, or simply back up. It depends how you feel.

If MK gets hit up and is above you:
If MK is jumping in the air a lot, Double jump to Uair (they rarely see it coming)
If MK tornadoes, Counter or Shield
If MK is high above you: SHFFUair
DO NOT COMMIT to an attack while MK can airdodge AND Jump. Wait for them to be forced into landing. They WILL either A) get hit, B) airdodge, then get hit C) Tornado, then get hit. Try to send them back up into the air with DBUp, Uthrow, Dsmash, Usmash, Uair, or Utilt. If done properly, after MK wastes ALL of his jumps, he will get hit. If done superbly, he will not get his jump back, and you may juggle him until he tornadoes.

If SL hits your shield:
If you were at neutral on the ground, Uair. It's guaranteed.
If he was on the edge, and tried to hit you with SL, Fair him back off the stage
If he was on the edge, and tried to hit you with SL while at kill range, jump and UpB
These are the BEST GUARANTEED options I believe. Although, it may be that run forward and tipper Bair is guaranteed, I rarely try it.

If Glide attack hits your shield, you must measure the angle at which MK is diving in, and the precision of MK's spacing. Pay close attention to punish correctly:
If MK is in grab range, grab
If MK is in UpB range, but not grab range, UpB
If MK is not in grab or UpB range (this is possible after shield knockback), roll away or remain shielding.

If you Fair, and hit MK's shield, DO NOT UpB OR I WILL KILL YOUR BABIES!!! This is only to be done if the MK consistently drops their shield, or if there is a platform above you, preferably on Battlefield. What you should do is:
If the MK dashed in, and you're close, Jab. Often it will hit a MK for dropping their shield.
If you spaced well and tippered or near it, Dtilt
If the MK perfect shields, perhaps UpB, as you're probably getting hit otherwise.
If MK is conditioned to hold their shield, grab, or DB1, then grab.
IF MK is not likely to hold their shield for long, Dancing Blade
If you suspect you are likely to get punished, Shield and roll away. Do not spot dodge.

If you get hit by Tornado:
If you are at low percents and the opponent MK is at mid percent or higher, Dolphin Slash out. Good DI required
If you are at any other percent, or the MK has caught you at the top of the tornado so DS will whiff: Spam Uair. Godly DI required
ALWAYS try to DI to the center and footstool out.

If you grab MK, pummel once for every 45%, then:
If he is at 0%, use a combo of your choice. Dthrow -> fsmash is the most popular, although I believe dthrow -> fthrow -> fsmash is better. Roy_R combo is also a reasonable option (fthrow -> Nair -> Fsmash)
If he is not at kill percent and the floor is level, grab release dash attack. This won't stale your Fair, and does good damage. Dash attack is also to the easiest to execute properly.
If near the edge of the stage, Grab release Fair
If release will let MK go off the stage: Grab release run off Fair
If Smashville's annoying platform is hovering in the way of grab release, Pummel until ground release, then DB1, then regrab. MINDGAMES SON.
If MK is in kill range, Grab release Dolphin Slash

I think that's all for now, but if I think of anything else, I'll add it. Study up, and feel free to post any suggestions. If I refute your suggestion, I'll reply saying why. If it's good, I"ll add it in and credit you.

EDIT: Here's some more tips http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7692742&postcount=77

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've learnt the timing for grab release nair on Meta knight.

Whilst Neo's ways allows a second tipper hit, it's easy to DI to avoid said tipper. But that's still 15% and a BETTER combo situation than fair (untippered nair, doing more damage, less knockback, etc etc).

Doing only the short hop will get you 15% (it's amazing how much easier it is now from trying to learn to do it full hop compared to so many months ago when I was promoting it), a better string for comboing (able to fast fall soon after), etc etc.

The elusive "Roy R" or "Kadaj" combo can work from a grab release to nair to fsmash to reasonable percents depending on the opponent's di. (up to about 30%+, di'n away could incur a tipper..., di too close and its an easy follow up, etc etc)

---------
How about dealing with the situation you're percent or stock down and you need to actually get the kill?
How does Marth deal with MK's SL OOS (realistically), damaging grabs, etc etc.
How does Marth get through the walls MK can place with 'camping' (i.e. relying on tornado, etc).

MK's dtilt and ftilt pokes as well.

All I can honestly say is dsmash to the latter. But I'm sure no one likes the idea of a 60 frame move being a good punisher (all though dsmash is still sex, SPAM IT).

-----

MK's Tornado being countered incuring the stun jacket is an amazing discovery. This SHOULD BE ABUSED EXTENSIVELY.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I feel you're ignoring mk's plethora of tools to prevent aerial zoning (something you emphasized) from Marth.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I already knew MK's tornado caused the Stun Jacket. In fact, it was the first move I discovered it with. However, Neo discovered the first reliable use for it. He also does other stuff, like UpB, but I'm not advising that atm, until it's been tested more throughoutly. Remember, the counter must miss in order for him to get a Stun Jacket from counter.

How about dealing with the situation you're percent or stock down and you need to actually get the kill?
Don't fish for it. Resume these techiques, but when you have an opportunity to punish, prioritize grab over Dancing Blade. Then release to Dolphin Slash for a kill. Use the Up Dancing Blade version, and try to tipper your aerials so you can kill, before you stale them again.

How does Marth deal with MK's SL OOS (realistically), damaging grabs, etc etc.
Don't jump at grounded MK. That's it. A smart grounded MK will SL you EVERYTIME you jump at him. My brother does not fail at this. If you must, jump in and weave out with an airdodge, to try and bait a reaction.

How does Marth get through the walls MK can place with 'camping' (i.e. relying on tornado, etc).
Tornado is punishable. Try to bait it out. Also, mix-up your approaches with the ones listed in the neutral position section, near the top of the OP.

MK's dtilt and ftilt pokes as well.
Spot dodge is almost never a good option vs. MK, unless you're trying to punish a grab. I would advise simply shielding a lot unless the MK gets grab happy. You can UpB either tilt if you're in range. Dsmash is good to punish dtilt if you're in kill range, but I prefer to simply jump out of shield and Fair quickly. Shield Ftilt, and if MK swings all three times, punish. If he swings twice and pauses, it's probably safe to say that he's not going to leave himself open by swinging a third time, so shield drop and Dancing Blade. If MK pokes you with just one tilt, he's pretty safe. Don't try and punish stuff that's safe.

I feel you're ignoring mk's plethora of tools to prevent aerial zoning (something you emphasized) from Marth.
Not really. MK's aerial zoning isn't unstoppable, it's just really good. Remember that MK can only Fair once in his SH, and then he MUST LAND. Use this time to dash in and shield. If you shield a Fair, you can punish with Dancing Blade. If you get tornadoed, you were too close, and committed to a zoning aerial that had 0% chance of connecting anyway. It's okay to use empty SHs, since you'll be able to access counter. If MK is above you to use Dair, you can hit him with uair, or if he's in front of you to Dair, Fair him. Some people also use Bair to zone, though I don't like this option, as I enjoy being able to auto-cancel quickly. MK does not have other good aerial zoning tools which allow him to approach. MK must approach with Tornado, with Fair, or from the ground. The first two options can be shielded and punished, the third is trickier, but I say what to do above. Pivot grab covers ground options a lot. Mixing in Dash in SH Tornado is MK's most reliable way of approaching, especially because that option can be retreated.

Marth can zone aerially, but you MUST reserve yourself well, so that you can have time to shield or counter tornado. I PERSONALLY FHNair occasionally so that if my opponent Tornadoes I can tip them from the top, but this is difficult, and unreliable, so I would not advise it.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I wasn't talking about MK's aerial zoning, but how he prevents Marth from doing it (which i guess you slightly touched on with tornado).

You said you zone with SHFFF and SHFFN. MK can easily call your jump and tornado, and also up b will **** that too if you're approaching. Also dtilt will **** shfff too since it outranges it. All mk has to do is walk away and use it. Ftilt works too. I'm guessing you're approaching with it since camping with it will just get you dtilted/tornado'd/dash attacked anyway.

You also never covered how to not get ***** by MK in the neutral state. MK doesn't even have to commit to anything. He can do super safe pokes with dtilt and ftilt and a little retreating fair and marth can't really do anything. Rarely should he EVER dash at you unless it's to punish landing lag.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I wasn't talking about MK's aerial zoning, but how he prevents Marth from doing it (which i guess you slightly touched on with tornado).

You said you zone with SHFFF and SHFFN. MK can easily call your jump and tornado, and also up b will **** that too if you're approaching. Also dtilt will **** shfff too since it outranges it. All mk has to do is walk away and use it. Ftilt works too. I'm guessing you're approaching with it since camping with it will just get you dtilted/tornado'd/dash attacked anyway.

You also never covered how to not get ***** by MK in the neutral state. MK doesn't even have to commit to anything. He can do super safe pokes with dtilt and ftilt and a little retreating fair and marth can't really do anything. Rarely should he EVER dash at you unless it's to punish landing lag.
If you're being patient, you can call MK's tornado and punish counter. Falling aerials from an appropriate distance cannot be punished with frame 13 Tornado. I already stated NOT to jump at a grounded MK, as you will get SLed (no getting around this).

Ftilt is not safe on block, and neither is dtilt apparently (when did I miss the dsmash memo, though I've been punishing it other ways) Ftilt is semi safe, but best used as an anti-dash, or combo tool.

If you Fair, dtilt will not hit you because you'll be in the AIR, lol. If he blocks, then tries to shield drop dtilt, if you jabbed as recommended, you will not get hit.

Albert.

Smash Master
in all these different MK specific guides there's no instructions for "what to do when you're getting totally *****"

"continue getting totally *****"

>_<

but yeah nice guide.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
When MK hits your shield with Tornado:
If they foolishly land right near you, Usmash OOS.
This is actually a fairly common scenario. You'll see M2K in his recent vids land behind opponents after nado'ing their shield. Marth is terrible to the rear, but if you're quick enough with the reaction, this should net a free 18-21% and possibly a kill. Fullhop dair OOS is another good alternative.

Are you sure you have enough time to drop shield fsmash/dsmash though?

Also, what to do when stuck shielding on a platform? A lot of MKs like to drop down and uair you through the stage on halberd/delfino.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
in all these different MK specific guides there's no instructions for "what to do when you're getting totally *****"

"continue getting totally *****"

>_<

but yeah nice guide.
The whole point of the guide is to prevent you from getting totally *****. That is if you are doing it right.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
What I'm saying is MK can stay basically grounded the entire time and do exactly what you're trying to do in this guide, react to his opponent, which basically voids half of this thread. (i think the problem is how many mk's actually use this style of play though(waiting/reacting/camping) vs marth).

Why are you doing falling aerials from a far away distance? What purpose do they serve? Also you said you were doing SHFF fair's (falling fairs), in which case dtilt would **** it.

MK's dtilt has a -4 shield drop advantage. Marth's dsmash comes out on frame 6. How the hell are you punishing that? Dsmashing at the exact same time (or actually right before) he dtilts and hitting his hand? That's all I can think of, which is completely unsafe.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Two questions:

What am I supposed to do as Marth when I'm hanging at the ledge and MK charges his fsmash? It easily beats all of Marths moves and trying to attack him through it while you're at the ledge is way too dangerous. The only option I can think of is to jump onstage and use downB but if MK can read it he an just dsmash you offstage again. The thing is that fsmash has very little lag and there's almost nothing Marth can do inbetween MKs fsmash and his dsmash except DS, which is extremely risky when you're close to the ledge (if you wiff it you're dead). As long as MK can see the counter coming - and it's very easy to see coming as it's Marths only viable option - I can't seem to find a way back. If I shield the fsmash (or the consecutive dsmash) he'll just push me back to the ledge again.
What are Marths bestt options in such a situation?

The other question is how to behave if MK gets Marth above him into the air. It's very well-known that Marth's weak spot is below him and he lacks the tools to cover it...other characters have that weakness too but Marth is very floaty and due to his weight can't take those juggles as well as DK, R.O.B or Snake can. So in most match-up's the major goal (to me) is not to get caught in such a juggle trap.
But what do I do against MK if it happens? His uair is fast and reaches high (and covers quite a large angle) - Marth has nothing to beat it. MK can simply wait for Marths reaction and punish him. I know that reverse Shieldbreaker can help but is there really nothing else other than stalling with DB1 (which doesn't really help imo).

Those two things are from my experience the biggest problems against MK. Sadly, you adressed neither in the OP...so I still don't know what to do to actually win.

:059:

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
gheb

if you see him charging it just wait slightly and ledge jump. don't be so hasty to get back on right away. ledge jump is probably marth's best get on option

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
As for what to do in a juggle trap, I'd say that your best option is to work your way to the ledge.

Easier said than done against MK, but simply "mindgame" him into a safe landing is gonna get you *****.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
What I'm saying is MK can stay basically grounded the entire time and do exactly what you're trying to do in this guide, react to his opponent, which basically voids half of this thread. (i think the problem is how many mk's actually use this style of play though(waiting/reacting/camping) vs marth).

Why are you doing falling aerials from a far away distance? What purpose do they serve? Also you said you were doing SHFF fair's (falling fairs), in which case dtilt would **** it.

MK's dtilt has a -4 shield drop advantage. Marth's dsmash comes out on frame 6. How the hell are you punishing that? Dsmashing at the exact same time (or actually right before) he dtilts and hitting his hand? That's all I can think of, which is completely unsafe.
Yeah the d-smash argument that CK brought up (after shaya announced it as a "dtilt counter"( even though that's not what he actually ever does when Mk dtilts (LMFAO, called out, idiot) is annoying

if i dtilt first, it's safe, and you're ****ed - period

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Trying to use a frame 6 attack to punish a 4-frame disadvantage is gonna get you ***** if you're off by one-thirtieth of a second. Your call.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
i do it now >_> you know a -stupid MK will not use Dtilt as a safe poke intended to prevent access to a given area of ground and do chip damage that has the possiblity of tripping you (leading to a lot more damage) and is safe as **** if used at max range- .....
^that's what i read

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
btw CK, i dtilt once LOL

because you can't respond to a single dtilt unless you call it and predict me, it's safe as ****.. one dtilt, reset your position

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
most mks i know d tilt once into a spaced f air or first hit f tilt or nado or dash grab or...

if they do a spaced d tilt ur in a bad situation regardless if ur shielding or not

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
MK's dtilt on shield is -12 or -13 disadvantage.
The difference being towards the tip is -12.

dun DUN DUN DUN dunnnnnnnnnnn

But guess what? Even Marth's move perfectly on the tip are hard to punish.
Neo: "MK has nothing on a well spaced tipped shieldbreaker, they can't do anything"

Yet it's -30 odd disadvantage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
-12, +7 = -5 due to unshield time.

Of course, Dolphin Slash is legitimate, as it can hit even before Meta Knight has a chance to shield.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
But can people really DS oos a dtilt on reaction? :/

i guess you could somewhat predict it

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm saying that Marth's dsmash is the closest thing he has to a punisher for MK' dtilt on shield.
If MK actually gets the dtilt tippered, db1 or ds won't reach.

Am I saying it's safe? No, nothing's safe on MK, it's why he's god tier and we're not.
However, it covers the frame trap WELL, it REACHES MK, even at the TIP, and, it's AN OPTION. And the more options a character has, THE BETTER.

MK's options after dtilting Marth's shield are ridiculous, Marth is trapped; rolls he get punished, unshield he gets punished, any move he does won't reach. The MK waits for the reaction that allows him to punish harder.

Dsmash reduces MK's options to 'shield' or get hit. Isn't that awesome? "Kawaii Desu ne" as Steel would say.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why can't you just retreating fair to get yourself out of a situation as disadvantageous as being close to a Meta Knight dtilting at you? I really don't see the merits in attempting to land an offensive poke against as good of a pressure as MK dtilt.

As Shaeden would say,
(11:41:35 PM) Shaeden: I've eaten 8 eggs today.
(11:41:41 PM) Shaeden: just throwing that out there.
(11:42:27 PM) Shaeden: FAIR COUNTERS EVERYTHING
(11:42:34 PM) Shaeden: also. making more eggs
(11:42:37 PM) Shaeden: foooood

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
As Steel would say "MK will just dtilt at your feet before you land". Fair isn't going to be killing MK at about 90ish% (tippered) either.

Also the closer you are to a MK dtilting you... the betterz...

ALSO, Pierce/Neo

If I'm to assume safely (from what I tested with Marth's counter not too long ago), the hitstun jacket is 15 (extra?) frames after a move is applied.

Would it be possible to db1 to dair on an MK in the air? I'd presume DB1 to dsmash would be a combo as well...

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
ankoku then u slowly get pressured to the edge and lose stage control

thats largely why long stages like fd and smashville are good ur in the medium-long distance neutral grounded situation more often (one of the few points where marth can do decently vs mk)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Why can't you just retreating fair to get yourself out of a situation as disadvantageous as being close to a Meta Knight dtilting at you? I really don't see the merits in attempting to land an offensive poke against as good of a pressure as MK dtilt.

As Shaeden would say,
(11:41:35 PM) Shaeden: I've eaten 8 eggs today.
(11:41:41 PM) Shaeden: just throwing that out there.
(11:42:27 PM) Shaeden: FAIR COUNTERS EVERYTHING
(11:42:34 PM) Shaeden: also. making more eggs
(11:42:37 PM) Shaeden: foooood
Smartest thing I've heard in this thread. Nothing beats foodair

But can people really DS oos a dtilt on reaction? :/

i guess you could somewhat predict it
Yes, you have to be in the zone, and playing fast, but it's really not hard once you fall in.

As Steel would say "MK will just dtilt at your feet before you land". Fair isn't going to be killing MK at about 90ish% (tippered) either.

Also the closer you are to a MK dtilting you... the betterz...

ALSO, Pierce/Neo

If I'm to assume safely (from what I tested with Marth's counter not too long ago), the hitstun jacket is 15 (extra?) frames after a move is applied.

Would it be possible to db1 to dair on an MK in the air? I'd presume DB1 to dsmash would be a combo as well...
Are you guys seriously suggesting that if MK dtilts me, and I jump backwards, he's going to walk up and dtilt again? NO. It's a plausible option, but not a secure as one might think. Fortunately MK cannot crawl, so the type of spacing on the ground it would require for MK to do what you are suggesting is ludicrous.

Also, Shaya, I'd need to know how many frames of cooldown and hit lag DB1 has when it connects and you're in the air. I believe midair jump comes out on frame 1. But at any rate, landing the tipper is a *****, and I don't see how you're going to get MK off the stage in the air WITHOUT consuming the stun jacket. One of you would need to get hit. Chances of acquiring the stun jacket in midair, and it not being used before a player makes it back to the stage? .002%

Of course, if such a situation occurred, then I would DB1 to Footstool spike, as I'm pretty positive you'll have enough time to footstool, even if you don't have the time/line-up for Dair, and you can Dair from the footstool.

EDIT: What you guys have to remember is that MK is stupidly broken, and extremely safe. He's able to attack, and not get punished sometimes. Remember that a lot of characters suffer the same way against Marth as well. Consider this, what will Mario be able to punish you with if you space a dtilt against his shield? Nothing! MK's dtilt is just slightly superior in that aspect.

C.J.

Smash Master
Pierce, iirc grabbing doesn't take away the stun jacket although pummeling and (I think) throwing does so you could air release to DB1 to dair I guess. It's an extra 15 frames to do it instead of the 1-2 we normally have.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Pierce, iirc grabbing doesn't take away the stun jacket although pummeling and (I think) throwing does so you could air release to DB1 to dair I guess. It's an extra 15 frames to do it instead of the 1-2 we normally have.
Wow, exceptionally clever. I don't believe that throwing releases the jacket, but grab release certainly does not. So grab release to DB1 to double jump spike with the jacket on. If the opponent MK has the % to die from it, it's worth attempting . . .

Top Bottom