• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide] - Buffered Dash Attack Locks (Updated 6/27) - Now With Video

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Dash Attack Locks
(AKA Dazlocks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItF4Sa5NHY[/I] Video by FadedImage

Index

1. Introduction and Guide
  2. Character Data
  3. FAQ
  4. Special Thanks
1. Introduction and Guide

Dash Attack Locks (DAL henceforth) are effectively the Zero Suit Samus version of a chain grab. These are buffered and work on the entire cast except for Kirby at varying percentages and are given healthy extensions via attack decay.

The DAL technique involves the following:

1. Perform a dash attack
  2. Near the end of the dash attack animation (last 10 frames, the earlier the better), buffer an instant dash attack by buffering a dash (flick the control stick left or right, then release) and tapping the c-stick down.
  3. Repeat.
If you buffer incorrectly, ZSS may perform a down smash or a walk. This takes a little bit of practice, so have patience.

DALs allow you to "chain" the character across any flat surface stage and sends the character offstage at a downward trajectory. This is great, because for many characters it sets up a potential edge guard.

In addition, DALs also have other combos and setups. Dash Attack combos into a buffer down tilt, which is particularly useful against Kirby, because he isn't affected by DAL due to his animation causing him to duck during hitstun. DAL also strings into a grab nicely, since the only way to block a failed DAL is to shield. (Mashing or buffering a jump, using SDI, jabbing, Marth's Up+B, Zero Suit Samus' Down+B, etc. are all ineffective and typically do not help escape from the DAL.) It is also possible though risky to string into a down smash for extra damage.

Note that it's better to start a DAL using the edge of the Dash Attack hitbox.

2. Character Data

In this section, with the hard work and help of FadedImage, and initially goop123 we finally have complete character data for Dash Attack Locks. A few notes:

• Kirby is immune to DAL, but his data is still included because followups are possible other than Dash Attack.
  • These values are for fresh Dash Attacks. Note that any and all decay will increase the start and end of the Lock by 5-10% per attack. Decay matters!
  • It is possible to use decay to your advantage. For instance, performing the Dash Attack Lock fresh after 62% on Captain Falcon is not a true combo. However, by performing the Dash Attack once or twice, you can actually start the chain after 62%.
  • Even if the chain is not a true combo (for instance, if you start it fresh at 63% on Captain Falcon) it is still very difficult to DI and escape. If the opponent manages to DI, you can punish with an aerial.
There are two sets of data!

Here are the data for fresh Dash Attack Locks performed in Training Mode. Note that in training mode, fresh dash attack locks deal 105% damage.
Therefore, there is a 3-4% margin of error for each of these.

* = immune

Code:
Character               Start   End
-----------------------------------
Bowser                  38      70
Donkey Kong             43      69
Snake                   42      68
King Dedede             37      67
Charizard               42      66
Ganondorf               41      66
Samus                   46      66
Wario                   46      66
Yoshi                   46      66
ROB                     46      65
Ike                     46      65
Captain Falcon          45      65
Link                    40      65
Wolf                    45      64
Ivysaur                 44      63
Lucario                 44      62
Mario                   44      62
Luigi                   44      62
Sonic                   43      61
Lucas                   38      61
Ness                    43      61
Pit                     38      61
Diddy Kong              43      61
Ice Climbers            42      59
Toon Link               42      60
Peach                   42      60
Marth                   41      59
Sheik                   40      58
Zelda                   40      58
Falco                   40      57
Olimar                  40      57
Zero Suit Samus         39      56
Fox                     39      56
Meta Knight             39      56
Pikachu                 39      56
Kirby*                  39      55
Squirtle                38      54
Jigglypuff              36      52
Game & Watch            35      54
Here are the approximated fresh values for fresh Dash Attack Locks in Vs. Mode. The margin of error for these should be smaller.

Code:
Character               Start   End
-----------------------------------
Bowser                  36      67
Donkey Kong             41      66
Snake                   40      65
King Dedede             35      64
Charizard               40      63
Ganondorf               39      63
Samus                   44      63
Wario                   44      63
Yoshi                   44      63
ROB                     44      62
Ike                     44      62
Captain Falcon          43      62
Link                    38      62
Wolf                    43      61
Ivysaur                 42      60
Lucario                 42      59
Mario                   42      59
Luigi                   42      59
Sonic                   41      58
Lucas                   36      58
Ness                    41      58
Pit                     36      58
Diddy Kong              43      58
Ice Climbers            40      56
Toon Link               40      57
Peach                   40      57
Marth                   37      53
Sheik                   38      55
Zelda                   38      55
Falco                   38      54
Olimar                  38      54
Zero Suit Samus         37      53
Fox                     37      53
Meta Knight             37      53
Pikachu                 37      53
Kirby*                  37      52
Squirtle                36      51
Jigglypuff              34      50
Game & Watch            33      51
3. FAQ

Q: What happened to the name Dazlock?
A: It started out as an inside joke on the IRC channel and I think people were kind of rolling their eyes at me for calling it that. Plus, no one else is going to call it that but ZSS mains. However, it's just a name and you can call it Tuna Salad for all I care. ;)

4. Special Thanks
Thanks to:

• FadedImage for his help compiling this monstrous amount of data;
  • goop123 for first pointing out that my original guide was woefully incorrect;
  • Hence for his enormous help in the initial testing;
  • sasook for DI testing;
  • Snakeee for using it on me in wifi friendlies and making me feel fuzzy inside;
  • norad's super friends for being super.
  • Dazwa for abusing dash attacks.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I always thought this was common knowledge. I've been buffering dash-attacks since day 1. If you chain them properly you can follow your opponent all the way off the edge and KO them with a F-air as well.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I always thought this was common knowledge. I've been buffering dash-attacks since day 1. If you chain them properly you can follow your opponent all the way off the edge and KO them with a F-air as well.
Yeah, I always assume someone's found it before me. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, I've seen people chain them together, but most of the time when they do it it's because their opponents fail to tech or dodge. This is not exactly the same thing.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I didn't realize this was an actual chain though, I thought it just relied on the opponent messing up on their escape form the DA.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I didn't realize this was an actual chain though, I thought it just relied on the opponent messing up on their escape form the DA.
It is, unless you buffer the DA between certain percentages which is either not done or has not been looked into before. :p

EDIT: Or they SDI.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I think this is actually new. I knew that you could do this as a way of linking moves, but not as an actual chain.

Just experimented with it. The buffer timing is iffy and a bit annoying, but I figured out an easy way to do it consistently. You want to buffer the IDA just as soon as her front-most foot touches the ground during the dash attack. Even if you mess up though, you end up comboing it into a Dsmash instead of a DA, which is still pretty good.

Only thing that I'm wondering is the percents you're talking about... it starts at 15 percent? I'm in training mode trying it on Mario, and at 15%, my second DA ends up going right by him. Are you sure that's right?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
ThreeSided; THANK YOU. I've been trying to tell people this for a few days and everyone thinks i'm nuts. This is new, this is not the dash attack combo that is escapable by teching/jumping. :(

I have it working at 15%. You want to make sure you're connecting with the correct hitbox (I can't remember which one it is right now and it's different for some characters).

EDIT: Hey, try 16%. Also, you are correct in that it seems to only work sometimes for me at 16%. I dunno. It's more reliable after 25% or so, which is whatever lol.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Nice find. I have to try this when i have wii access. Have you tested any other characters? *mk cough cough*

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Ya, maybe a list of starting percents against the high tiers, and our disadvantaged matchups? Since I understand doing the entire cast is probably really tiring.

Also, SFP how are you testing all this stuff? Your findings are pretty consistently awesome, I'd love to figure out how you've been going about testing so I can try stuff for myself.

Even if you mess up though, you end up comboing it into a Dsmash instead of a DA, which is still pretty good.
Does it really combo into a dsmash? If that's true, dash attack just went up to god status considering all the stupid stuff we can combo out of dsmash.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ya, maybe a list of starting percents against the high tiers, and our disadvantaged matchups? Since I understand doing the entire cast is probably really tiring.

Also, SFP how are you testing all this stuff? Your findings are pretty consistently awesome, I'd love to figure out how you've been going about testing so I can try stuff for myself.
Lots of time. =| Seriously I just mess around until I notice something weird and then try to reproduce it. My goal when I play games is to break them so I tend to approach things differently from most people. Also you can learn a lot about the game by testing ATs from other characters and trying to apply them to ZSS... when I figured this out I was testing that silly infinite dash attack at ledge thing.

Does it really combo into a dsmash? If that's true, dash attack just went up to god status considering all the stupid stuff we can combo out of dsmash.
I don't think it actually combos... I dunno though.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Probably isn't a combo, but it seems completely safe to me. They either stand up/get up attack and get hit by the Dsmash, or roll away. And it's fast enough that you're likely to land it on the the first time they see it.

Also, SFP, I know exactly what you're talking about. I do the same thing. I just don't put that much time into it. <.<;

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Wow bless your patience SMP lol. And it doesn't seem like it will combo into a down smash. If it does go up to 70%, they will probably be hit too far. Then again, who knows. That sure would be awesome though.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Wow bless your patience SMP lol. And it doesn't seem like it will combo into a down smash. If it does go up to 70%, they will probably be hit too far. Then again, who knows. That sure would be awesome though.
When I was practicing it, it was on a "standing" CPU mario in practice mode at 60%. I would hit him, and then the dash attack would continue to move me forward, so when I messed up, I was right in front of mario for the Dsmash.

Dunno though. Gonna have to test all this out at some point...

sasook

Smash Champion
DA -> utilt has been known for quite some time.

But I think the first part of that vid is the buffered lock this thread talks about.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
DA -> utilt has been known for quite some time.

But I think the first part of that vid is the buffered lock this thread talks about.
Yeah, but I didn't know it was a true combo when buffered like that. Whenever I see ZSS in a video I always assume at least 95% of the stuff can be DI'd out of.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
It looks to be what I'm talking about, but I've never really tried it on MK so I dunno. I know that Mario cannot escape and Fox cannot if you do it exactly right. If you do it incorrectly, it is possible to buffer a shield.

As for Consecutive Hits, it doesn't always update correctly in situations where you take advantage of buffering and a few other things. I think someone I talked to said it updates based on time and not hitstun, but I don't know for sure.

Here are a few things that don't register on CH:

Squrtle's walking Utilt Lock on Falco
Some hits of Sheik's Ftilt lock (some do, some don't)
Dsmash chain on Fox

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Just making sure there wasn't a secret hitstun thing I was missing.:p Should I do a clean cut final draft or not? I don't think anyone on the ZSS boards has a Captured Card. None of these boards have example vids. lol

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Just making sure there wasn't a secret hitstun thing I was missing.:p Should I do a clean cut final draft or not? I don't think anyone on the ZSS boards has a Captured Card. None of these boards have example vids. lol
Sure. Why not? The worst thing that can happen is someone says it doesn't work. :laugh:

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
You should test it in versus mode though since training room doesn't register move decay.
It allows move decay. If you pause it to the settings thingy it resets everything but otherwise I'm pretty certain it does. I was testing that today as I was making that video. Looks like they stale to me... didn't really thoroughly test it.

This technique is over 9000x harder when you are under pressure. Even getting them with the Neutral B to start it still is a lot harder than just winging it in training mode on a standstill computer.

Sure. Why not? The worst thing that can happen is someone says it doesn't work. :laugh:
I'll do that when I'm done with Super Metroid.:lick:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I have tested it in vs mode. Nef is correct. It actually works better in some cases if it is decayed. Unfortunately we don't play Sheik and can't play a "heavy dash attack" style...

Edit: It is possible it allows for distance decay and not damage percent decay. I dunno.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, moves don't decay in training. Everything stays fresh (which is why training is great for momentum cancel practice for fresh moves).

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Seems like the decay could actually extend the chain. I haven't been able to do this though (zero tech skill righthur), I keep buffering an ftilt or dsmash instead, depending on if i'm using the cstick or a button.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Seems like the decay could actually extend the chain. I haven't been able to do this though (zero tech skill righthur), I keep buffering an ftilt or dsmash instead, depending on if i'm using the cstick or a button.
Nef, try waiting until her foot closest to her body is nearly on the ground, and then buffering the DA.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
dash attack > Up+B is a true combo. If this isn't known, then wtf. Can't ZSS's dash attack have alot of potential now?

Also, Zamus has a really good reverse pivot grab. It slides her far. I'm gunna test some stuff with this also.

I'm just gunna try and find tons of stuff with ZSS. I bet i could find something good eventually

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Daz lock = closest to sex that a combo can possibly be

and no i'm not spamming, these is facts

i will get to testing this asap

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
I think the DA buffer to FGrab buffer chased with SideB is **** in the making. The DI possibilities are bull****ingly good.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Some new info since this thread already exists:

1. Decay extends this chain to ridiculous lengths. It will start as soon as the target enters hitstun after a dash attack, and will last... a while. It still depends on the character, but for Falco, I believe it was 25%-almost 100%. He'll start hitting the ground at some point (so techable).

2. Try it on DDD after 45%. lol

noradseven

Smash Lord
Some new info since this thread already exists:

1. Decay extends this chain to ridiculous lengths. It will start as soon as the target enters hitstun after a dash attack, and will last... a while. It still depends on the character, but for Falco, I believe it was 25%-almost 100%. He'll start hitting the ground at some point (so techable).

2. Try it on DDD after 45%. lol
Its more around 80%, but yeah, also we can't pivot it like falco we can only do it too the edge which kinda sucks but beggars can't be choosers blah blah blah.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Its more around 80%, but yeah, also we can't pivot it like falco we can only do it too the edge which kinda sucks but beggars can't be choosers blah blah blah.
On heavier characters you can chain it into a down smash, froll, and keep going for a while. It's not a true combo, but if you think you can't gimp, there's no reason you can't try it because it's pretty safe.

EDIT: http://www.smashboards.com/news/blogs/144905/1711/zss-tech-blog-004-daz-lock-is-legit and updated OP.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
noob question, but what does it mean when an attack is "buffered"? does it mean to be hit by the first frame of the hitbox or something?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
noob question, but what does it mean when an attack is "buffered"? does it mean to be hit by the first frame of the hitbox or something?
It's when you perform an action in the last few frames of a previous action, and it comes out as soon as possible as a result.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNbG6R-5CM

Sorry I only have Windows Movie maker so nooo slow-motion specialty stuff. Unless I can figure that out.

Still, that's quite a bit to look at and in amazing quality. I threw in a bunch of DABC buffer dash attack combo stuff.
Hey! I appreciate you making this but most of these are not done correctly...

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Hey! I appreciate you making this but most of these are not done correctly...
Some of them are breakable because I screwed up my buffering/choice of move/%/distance I hit. A lot of variables in these things.:dizzy:

Most of those are solid, though, and most of the time these have an escape route that screws them over anyways because the trajectory to jump positioning leaves them vulnerable

What do you mean "not done correctly" because I'll fix it how you want.XD Just be extremely specific.

Top Bottom