• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

11 grab release combos [Snake]

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Turns out we have 11 grab releases.

All releases are air release unless stated otherwise (Ness/Lucas)

__crystal___ and I did testing - albeit WiFi but we tested multiple times + in the scenarios the characters were still in a "stun" like state where they can't do anything.

Using Data from This thread will help you determine whether you want to grab release or dthrow.

:bowser2:

Dash Attack, Boost Grab

:shiek:

DACUS (Buffered only, needs to be perfect), Boost Grab (1-2 frame window <3 fun fun?)

:ganondorf:
Dash Attack, DACUS, Boost Grab

:wolf:
DACUS (Buffered only, needs to be perfect. Like Sheik)

:falcon:
Dash Attack (Tipped)

:squirtle:
Dash Attack + Boost Grab? (We were having issues Boost Grabbing... I did it once before he recovered IIRC so it SHOULD be possible)

:metaknight:
Dash Attack + Boost Grab (Boost Grab trades hits and isn't worth it)

:falco:
Dash Attack(... I forget... I believe anyone we can boost grab we can dash attack anyways) + Boost Grab

:wario:
Nair, Utilt, Bair, Uair

:ness2:
GROUND RELEASE:
Jab, Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt (Dtilt needs to be buffered)
Regrab if Ness doesn't land to far away. (If he does we can't grab him) < this seems to be at random <_<

:lucas:
GROUND RELEASE:
Jab (sometimes), Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt

Jab > Grab! Needs more testing! (0%-83% CG using Jab > grab > release > jab) Jab puts Lucas into stun so we may have a pseudo CG on him!

Glad I could be useful for something xD

We forgot to see if you could regrab lucas and ness from a ground release :/

napZzz

Smash Hero
It seems like dthrow is a better followup for mk obviously but knowing the boost grab follows up for the extra few percents on others is useful

The biggest use for the Boost Grabbing IMO is putting people closer to the edges, and getting that extra damage/refresh. Which would make Tech chasing easier as if you get close enough the forward roll is handicapped by the edge.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Getting a dthrow over the edge you can follow up with jab is pretty cool since the dthrow chain wont work on most characters due to a fast UpB or aerial. From a dthrow doesn't jab-ftilt hit them with the part of the knee that sends them far off stage? it makes me sad to not be able to finish the ftilt :( Correct me if I'm wrong of course

napZzz

Smash Hero
I was just thinking about if it lets you into that specific position <_<

lol grab releases are slowly ruining brawl, but this is cool. Umm I've never bothered to learn or ask, so how do you force an air release?

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Havokk / Zoosaw / Love of my life...

Is there a way we can test how many frames we have to make the boost grabs possible, IE margin of error because if it's less than 5 frames it may not even be worth it...

I've practiced the Falco one off and I can probably get it off 50% of the time. That however translates to practically worthless in an actual match.

Panix

Smash Ace
Instead of jabbin, try inching foward and regrabbing. I've dam near instantly re grabbed lucas like that.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Utilting Wario isn't worth it. You only get the weak part of the Utilt so it wont KO him till a really high percent.

SuSa

We've known about it for ages.

I just posted the Ness/Lucas/Wario ones for it to be more common knowledge.

Some/most of us knew about the DA on MK and the regrab on Falco.

The rest was either not known, or few knew it.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Wait, how are you doing the ground release>up tilt on Lucas and Ness?

Are you waiting for the grab release to up tilt, or are you inputting a pummel and hitting the control stick up, then holding the control stick up while continuing the pummel Lucas. This way, as soon as he releases, you will do an up tilt.

In other words,
1. Wait for release
Or
2. Pummel while holding control stick up

Wait, how are you doing the ground release>up tilt on Lucas and Ness?

Are you waiting for the grab release to up tilt, or are you inputting a pummel and hitting the control stick up, then holding the control stick up while continuing the pummel Lucas. This way, as soon as he releases, you will do an up tilt.

In other words,
1. Wait for release
Or
2. Pummel while holding control stick up
Normally Lucas/Ness will be air released with Snake, but if you mash pummels till they escape, it will almost always be a ground release. During the mashing of the pummel you have to pay attention to when they finally break away onto the ground, THEN input the command for an uptilt.

IxxI

Smash Fence
You didn't really answer my question. Well in a sense you did.
I usually pummel once and put the control stick up, and continue smashing A.
This way, you can continue to mash A till they ground release, and since your control stick is already pointing up, you will perform your up tilt immediately.

SuSa

Level 9's aren't the best testing material.

PS GUYSZZZZ:

I'll be doing frame-by-frame testing (exact same way that EY did our frame data) if possible for this stuff. :)

1) Frame to see when a character can escape/do anything
2) See if DA/DACUS/BG (not sure if I can DACUS or BG during frame-by-frame testing :/) works during those frames

3) Test MK, Sheik, Ganon and a few others for OFFSTAGE RELEASES into a DASH > FALL OFF STAGE > INSTANT SECOND JUMP (its lagless) > Bair

Marth can fair/dair MK... so maybe we can bair/uair? I'll be testing ;o

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I have nothing better...

This is starting to remind me of the Yoshi boards CG list.

Maybe you should have difficulty settings color coded,

like this:

Easy

Normal

Hard

Extreme

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Seriously the grab release on Falco is so hard lol. To me the hardest part is getting the dash off perfectly. The boost grab is easy, you just grab right before you logically assume he would grab.

I still have problems trying to tell if I am doing the boost grab right. People keep saying it's a longer grab range, but whenever I saw SuSa trying to do it when we were testing this, I couldn't really tell the difference between when he did it correctly vs not, so I have no idea if I am ever doing it right.

etecoon

Smash Hero
If you try to pivot boost grab you notice the difference a lot easier because snake noticeably slides when you boost grab that way, but it's very similar otherwise

Vorguen

Smash Champion
The thing is I would always shield-grab, even if I was dashing. I liked it because occasionally it would result in a powershield to a grab.

Does pressing shield + grab during a dash animation cut down the grab range?

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I swear I don't understand the difference between boost grab and dash grab. I thought boost grab was when you dash attack + grab and it looks like Snake is about to trip or losing his balance.

Browny

Smash Hater
>_<

im not doubting any of this is true, but you know its entirely possible to test this 100% OFFLINE by yourself. every characters quicket option is to bring up a shield or airdodge except of course for the frame 1 jab characters. so just hold shield on the other controller while doing whatever with the other. you only need like, 3 fingers to play anyway :p

Top Bottom