• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

11 grab release combos [Snake]

SuSa

Banned via Administration
The problem with that, is shield is not visible until frame 5 IIRC and if they airdodge, it's literally just above the ground and they will get caught.

Bowser's quickest option is up-B (invincibility frames), Falco's is actually his Jab upon landing, Sheik is jab upon landing, Ganon is pretty screwed but if you really mess up, Jab or Side-B punish your whiffed grab well. ETC.

So no, good testing by myself offline wouldn't be good testing. I can't mash my best option while trying to boost grab. :x

The list is thourougly tested by Wifi Standards.

The one thing this does confirm like 100% is that only these people can we do something to, even for offline stuff. Everyone else it's pretty clear that they can jump out before being hit by something that snake can do something to them. The one thing that isn't 100% sure on is the list of what we can do to each character.

For example, ganon and shiek are people that cannot do ANYTHING in the air till they hit the ground. Their release animations last long enough that they would only regain control if they went below the stage a bit. Ganon is fairly easy to tell that you can Boost Grab him before he can react, even on wifi. Shiek is harder to tell with because timing might be more strict with shiek in order to do it against her offline. And with wifi it's difficult to test exact timing.

So it's really only the people with strict timing that we need to test offline to be sure if it will work. That list is pretty much squirtle, shiek and wolf.

Ness and Lucas I have done my own testing with offline and found out that they apprently randomly break out away from Snake at 3 distances. The furthest distance from Snake is not 100% guranteed for Snake to be able to regrab or Utilt ness or Lucas. But regrab and Utilt is 100% guaranteed on the other 2 distances. Ftilt is 100% on all distances.

The problem with the ground release agianst Ness and Lucas is that the distances released are apprently random. Nothing I tried or anything else anyone seems to know so far can explain a way to always get the furtherest release.

Jupz

Smash Master
It's not random. Characters will break out and slide a little on the ground if they ground break; if they air break during a pummel they will appear right next to you (called a pummel breal) and you are able to abuse this on Ness and Lucas. So, for them to land right next to you they must air break during a pummel.

It's not random. Characters will break out and slide a little on the ground if they ground break; if they air break during a pummel they will appear right next to you (called a pummel breal) and you are able to abuse this on Ness and Lucas. So, for them to land right next to you they must air break during a pummel.
I know this and that is not what I am referring to at all.

During the GROUND RELEASE NOT THE AIR RELEASE Ness and Lucas slide along the ground and will stop away from snake at 3 seperate distances. Extremely close (which can be induced by Ness or Lucas by holding the control stick towards snake), a neutral distance or a far distance from Snake. Those distances ONLY DURING THE GROUND RELEASE was I saying that was random.

For testing purposes, go to vs match and ground release Lucas a couple dozen times and try to do an Utilt from directly standing still. Most of the time the Utilt will hit Lucas after the ground release, but occasionally the Utilt won't be able to make contact on Lucas by standing still. The same happens with Ness, but it's more infrequent. Then do a few ground releases while ness or lucas have the control stick being held towards snake. They will pretty much release on the ground right infront of his face.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Threadchromancy alert!

I did a little testing on this vs MK, and i'd like to know if it's worth anything. According to SuSa's earlier posts, boostgrabbing is not worth it against MK because you trade hits. But what if you grab him like 1 / 2 boostgrabs away from the ledge? If dthrow at the ledge combos into utilt, i can see this being a solid option for getting kills, but i haven't really tried to apply it anywhere yet. What happens if we miss the 1 frame we have to get the regrab?

Also, i've seen ally do a dash-attack from a grab-release in a battle against MK - but i fail to see how it's any good if it doesn't kill. Dthrow deals more damage and gives you the techchase options afterwards.

Also, i wonder how grab release > mine / c4 works on Smashville and BF platforms!

Edit: Video, yo!

etecoon

Smash Hero
dthrow at the ledge doesn't combo into anything, MK can hit you before you can hit him.

Limeee

Smash Champion
or they can airdodge

i have an idea though

what if we put a mine on a platform, and then air release onto it?

is there any platform in brawl that would combo out of air release?

if it did work it'd be pretty sick, air release on falco/MK to kill

or they can airdodge

i have an idea though

what if we put a mine on a platform, and then air release onto it?

is there any platform in brawl that would combo out of air release?

if it did work it'd be pretty sick, air release on falco/MK to kill
It's been done, but it is really situational. It's more luck if you manage to have everything in place. A lot of characters can be abused on the SV platform through air releases. MK actually gets killed by an Utilt on it.

Limeee

Smash Champion
Yes its situational, but its another thing snake's opponent has to worry about.
as soon as you know the spacing for the air release, setting up a grab in the right spot isn't hard, you just have to zone them like you usually would

EDIT: so what platforms work?

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Xeylode, do you mean like you can air-release to a platform then uptilt?

Also, i can see it being easier to do on battlefield than smashville, since your opponent can just wait / struggle to avoid the platform on SV.

Edit: Silly me, ofc this can't be done on BF. Not with utilt atleast >_<

What I mean is that if you air release a character when on the SV platform when it moves in the direction Snake is facing, the character will get released, but snake will move closer to them as they are released. So, when snake next regains his ability to move again, he will be close enough to MK to launch an Utilt. I think you already know what I am talking about.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
How about adding something useful instead of just bumping it again with useless, obvious statements.

Xeylode, i understand it. I just don't think it's very useful if people know that Snake can do it. If the platform is incoming they can either struggle alot to get released before it comes, or not struggle at all to get released after it passes by. Especially at high % (where this could really be useful for kills), it's easier to just maneuver around it i think :(

Did anyone check out the frame-data on grabrelease to platform > c4?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i was trying out the grab release to regrab on mk and couldnt get it to work on a human. i can get the one on falco to work just fine...

is it frame perfect? was it ever tested on a human?

Navn

Smash Apprentice
From what i can read, you have like 1-2 frames to make it work, and even then you trade hits with the MK so you take damage while getting a grab. I think that's why he deemed it "useless" :)

This might be obvious, but remember that you need to make a boost-grab, otherwise the range isn't good enough.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I MISS SUSA

.....and these grab releases are cool and stuff

also, you cant regrab anyone but falco (at least in the top tier) from what i remember, just falco with the boost grab. You can only dash attack/contact mortar slide mk if I remember, which is a good way to kill actually if you remember it. Although I cant really remember what percent he will die to that on a neutral for example and such if the dash attack is fresh

napZzz

Smash Hero
oops, I said boost pivot grab :S

Someones gotta step up into SuSa's place so we can get productive around here again!

We have to face Susa's departure.... D:
We all miss him for sure!

It's gonna be hard to find more stuff about Snake.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to research stuff. I just need someone to tell me what to research, i'm very uncreative when it comes to things like finding new stuff. So i guess what i'm saying is, i agree with Nappy.

What happened to SuSa? I was away for some months and he wasn't around when i returned. I'm guessing he just quit the game?

etecoon

Smash Hero
susa quit the game to spend more time on real life stuff, mostly his gf/school IIRC

and yea, everyone should help with stuff. I've tested a few things lately that I've posted in gen disc but my drive to do so is pretty weak considering that I don't main snake and all, and for that matter I'm not going to think of as many things that would be useful to test as those of you that play him more

Top Bottom