• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Kirby Matchup Thread, now discussing: LUCAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Ok, someone provide some answers please, because I still don't see what makes Kirby so bad against IC, everything I've read so far could be used against nearly everyone, so why single out the marshmallow? Also, has anyone even began to discuss the gimp-able recovery? I'll spell it out for you-

E
A
T

N
A
N
A

It's that simple, Popo throws Nana into your gaping mouth, Nana becomes lunch, Popo falls and dies. If he doesn't throw he all the way to the ledge, just drop off and swallow, then spit her far enough away from Popo that he can't recover again.

The alternative method, for if Nana isn't anywhere near enough to catch, just inhale Popo, same general idea, spit him out and Dair his second jump, swallowcide (or just spit him under stage, whichever works for you), or just play out the rest of the stock solo.
No chaingrab, no de-synched abilities, and near nonexistent vertical recovery make the match much easier for Kirby, wouldn't you agree?

P.S. Lulz

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman
Ok, someone provide some answers please, because I still don't see what makes Kirby so bad against IC, everything I've read so far could be used against nearly everyone, so why single out the marshmallow? Also, has anyone even began to discuss the gimp-able recovery? I'll spell it out for you-

E
A
T

N
A
N
A

It's that simple, Popo throws Nana into your gaping mouth, Nana becomes lunch, Popo falls and dies. If he doesn't throw he all the way to the ledge, just drop off and swallow, then spit her far enough away from Popo that he can't recover again.

The alternative method, for if Nana isn't anywhere near enough to catch, just inhale Popo, same general idea, spit him out and Dair his second jump, swallowcide (or just spit him under stage, whichever works for you), or just play out the rest of the stock solo.
No chaingrab, no de-synched abilities, and near nonexistent vertical recovery make the match much easier for Kirby, wouldn't you agree?

P.S. Lulz
Ummmm. I think this should be in the Kirby QaA Thread :p

That depends on the ICs that rush in to grab all the time. I find inhale pretty useless due to IBs, Blizzard camping and getting grabbed.

As for LOLimar xD Ummmm dont know the matchup. blabla 45:55 or 40:60 LOLimar advantage.

ICs have everything over Kirby:
1.) ICs have more power
2.) ICs have better projectiles
3.) ICs have more range
4.) ICs have more dash speed
5.) ICs can chaingrab Kirby

So in other words.... Kirby will always lose against the ICs and it's a 100:0 IC :(

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
ICs have everything over Kirby:
1.) ICs have more power
2.) ICs have better projectiles
3.) ICs have more range
4.) ICs have more dash speed
5.) ICs can chaingrab Kirby

So in other words.... Kirby will always lose against the ICs and it's a 100:0 IC :(
I dunno... 3 and 4 aren't as important and don't make a character better or worse, plus I personally think Kirby's range+speed is better than IC's. 1, Kirby has some decent power too, the fact that his other moves don't KO means that they combo into each other, which better than everything knocking opponents far (look at Ganon). 2, I agree, but there's gotta be a way to work around that (I just need to play reeeeally good ICs). And 5, I agree.

And next character? Might as well make it Mario since someone spoke of him in the Q&A/Generas Discussion.

I vote Mario!!

And about our Toon Link MU (Pls don't discuss this) when I went to the TL boards it said.... 60:40 Kirby's favor!?!? ours is 50:50?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I vote Mario!!

And about our Toon Link MU (Pls don't discuss this) when I went to the TL boards it said.... 60:40 Kirby's favor!?!? ours is 50:50?
I think they said 60:40 TL's favor. My real-life friend TLMSheikant handles the ratios, and we both believe Kirby has to work harder than TL. I told him it's not THAT bad that it's actually even (and our matches prove this), but he doesn't listen to me, so w/e.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I agree with the inhale sentiment. It's bad news for Mario for Kirby to get that power. You don't need any inhale shenanigans off stage... I think it's obvious that Mario is one of the easiest characters to gimp.

I don't know the matchup at all on stage though. In serious matches, I usually just camp until I can find an opening to grab, since I have absolutely no understanding of Mario whatsoever :)

Okay here's the output:
Mario like we all know has a hard time killing so he needs a setup to kill Kirby. Kirby also has a hard time landing KOs since he has laggy moves though we have options on racking up damage against Mario:

1.) Copy the ability and camp
- Defensively used
Kirby will completely outcamp Mario since he can do 2 things which is literally air camping which is like using 5-mid air jumps at the same time spamming fireballs. Though he can cape it but it travels shorter and since it's slow you can perfectly time it
- Offensively used (Approaching)
Like what fire said, fireballs are best used for approaches, and you can 5-midair-jumps and that means spam spam spam spam spam and a lot.

2.) Combos (Duh...)

And since Kirby can't seriously kill well, off-stage tactic duh... but Mario can also combo you but you can gimp Mario easily. 55:45 Kirby, yes mario can gimp Kirby but still, it's in Kirby's favor IMO

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Mario is amazing. He has some serious combos, combo breakers, fast moves, moves with good priority, and projectiles. Offstage is his obvious weakness, but don't underestimate him onstage or you'll get destroyed.

I have some good Mario experience, but not a ton. I'll say this though: his Fsmash has serious power, but what makes it really dangerous is the fact that he pulls back right before attacking when he uses it. In this way, he can dodge an attack of yours and counterattack instantly, for a possible KO.

Possibly Kirby's favor, but pretty close to even.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Mario is amazing. He has some serious combos, combo breakers, fast moves, moves with good priority, and projectiles. Offstage is his obvious weakness, but don't underestimate him onstage or you'll get destroyed.
☠
Quoted for truth.

I've recently played an amazing Mario, thinking that I could easily beat him onstage. Boy was I wrong.

It's true you can outcamp him if you copy his fireballs, so swallowing him is a good idea. As said above, do not underestimate him onstage; he can string together up to 40% of damage easily. Watch out for that F-smash, it's tricky as all hell and has good knockback. I can't count how many times I've tried to punish the starting lag of a F-smash with F-tilt, only to get launched. His U-smash can also kill at pretty decent percentages, so look out for it. If you need to use Up-b when recovering, be sure to use it well below the ledge; or else he'll cape you to your death. Our obvious advantage is when we're offstage, so try to get him here as much as possible. Don't attempt to gonzo combo him, he can hit you out of it with an Up-B. I don't feel like his Down-B has much of an effect on us, but be weary of it. Approaching can be a nuisance, so I suggest getting his fireballs as soon as possible. I'd say our best approach is with fireballs; that or -personally- running shield grab. It can counter fireballs and give you a free grab if done right. Our D-throw -> Utilt isn't as effective on Mario -since he can generally jump out after the first U-tilt- but it's still great for racking damage.

That's all I can think of for now. For the MU, I'd say it's 55:45 Kirby.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I played the best player in RD, who ended up being this crazy good Mario. Yes, Mario can string like some crazy *&@^$*&@$^, so approach safely. He's no Luigi though, so yo can rest easy while close to him and actually continue your combos (as long as you're not in his upB range: it's his combo breaker!). I agree that knowledge of the fireballs could help you a lot, but I myself STILL prefer keeping my inhale open... Taking a stock from Mario due to a mistake at any % is always MY favorite option. And, personally, I think Mario's dsmash is worse than his fsmash. I literally could avoid Mario's fsmash on reaction, by powershield, timed spotdodges, or thanks to our multiple jumps. And Mari has a crazy hard time spiking us due to our aerial versatility (so many jumps means that we can stall in the air, then get back on stage). In reality, his most reliable killing move is dsmash, but still fsmash is nice.

If he grabs you at low %, he's gonna dthrow you to chain some utilts and uairs, melee-style, and the only way to get out of them is to read where he's gonna kick you, and DI on top of Mario while airdodging/mashing for bairs. In my experiences, Mario has to work way harder than Kirby to get those kills, considering one of our killers is also our fastest, most used aerial.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Mario has to work way harder than Kirby to get those kills, considering one of our killers is also our fastest, most used aerial.
Did the guy you faced never use fsmash? That move is pretty ****, Mario can stutter step forward or backward and it has really good knockback. I honestly think we get the advantage in our offstage game but then I would call it 55-45 or MAYBE 60-40.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Did the guy you faced never use fsmash? That move is pretty ****, Mario can stutter step forward or backward and it has really good knockback. I honestly think we get the advantage in our offstage game but then I would call it 55-45 or MAYBE 60-40.
He used fsmash, but I wisened up and started paying real close attention to his animations, and noticing his patterns. It wasn't as bad as Mario's lightning-fast dsmash when I found how to get around it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I forget if Fsmash for Mario comes out on fram,e 10 or 12, but it's only 5-7 frames slower than his Dsmash. Granted, that Dsmash is **** though.

However, to avoid his Fsmash on reaction means it wasn't used to punish, or you have the fastest reaction known to man. Also, you can combo into Fsmash safely (Not guaranteed combos, to my knowledge, so maybe strings is a better word, but out of these strings, it is always safe, and a safe kill move that kills rather early means a lot.).

Oh, and Nair is a good combo breaker for Mario too, and less punishable than UpB.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
people point to kirby having the advantage offstage, but i think kirby has the advantage onstage as well.

just my two cents.

U-air of Mario is flashy and it can easily rack up damage and combo Kirby hard so that's pretty much the problem. Well, Mario's ground game is pretty bad so take advantage

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't know... Both characters have a great air game with a comparitively weaker ground game, but honestly, I think Mario's is better. His ground attacks are all generally faster, have either priority or range, and some combo into each other/aerials.

Kirby has a better air game overall, but I think Mario's ground game is stronger. Also, Mario actually has approaches, and a projectile with which to provoke approaches, as well as safer/better OoS options. He also combos better (Due to the fact that while both characters combo well, he has combo breakers and Kirby doesn't.).

That being said, Kirby definitely has range over him, especially in the air, and Bair can be very tough to get around for Mario. He can also kill earlier than Mario, has a lot more killing options, and while both characters can gimp each other easily, Kirby has an easier time of it. Kirby also has a generally better grab game, though both characters have good throws (though Kirby's grab being both faster and having more range, his is significantly safer.).

Pink murder

Smash Ace
It wasn't as bad as Mario's lightning-fast dsmash when I found how to get around it.
☠
Its probably the Mario's that I've played, but I really don't find D-smash too threatening. Sure it comes out faster, but the knockback isn't as great as a F-smash.
☠

...Also, Mario actually has approaches, and a projectile with which to provoke approaches, as well as safer/better OoS options. He also combos better (Due to the fact that while both characters combo well, he has combo breakers and Kirby doesn't.).
☠
Swallowing Mario could give you the approaching advantage; and -not sure if you've said this- Kirby has a pretty big advantage offstage. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think Nair works as a pretty good combo breaker; it has worked for me anyway.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
My thoughts have changed on this since the last time it was discussed. I'd put it in that odd place between 55-45 and 60-40 Kirby's advantage. Proper SDI kinda kills a lot of Mario's combo and damage racking options. Fireballs can be an issue (like almost every other projectile user vs. Kirby) and can force an approach, but in close quarters they are about on par. Kirby may be a bit slower than Mario as far as move start time but the extra range he has on Mario makes up for it considerably, especially in the air (bair). Mario's best kill options are usually offstage gimps, but Kirby's offstage versatility can help him get around most problems. Neither character is very good at getting a kill, but if Kirby can get Mario offstage his chances increase considerably compared to vice-versa. Not a bad match for Mario by any stretch of the imagination, but not a great one either.

Edit: Nair isn't that good of a combo breaker (10 frame start-up). SDI and resetting positions is usually a better way to go.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
However, to avoid his Fsmash on reaction means it wasn't used to punish, or you have the fastest reaction known to man. Also, you can combo into Fsmash safely (Not guaranteed combos, to my knowledge, so maybe strings is a better word, but out of these strings, it is always safe, and a safe kill move that kills rather early means a lot.).
That's the thing, whenever he would string, I could avoid it due to its startup. There's no move in Mario's arsenal that can give him a 10-frame advantage, and it gives me time to airdodge/shield/spotdodge/jump away. In my opinion, it's a good killing move and all, but like TL's usmash/utilt (which are his best killers), they can get predictable, and you can actually evade them on reaction... Depending on Mario's position, your position, and his last action taken, it's pretty easy to see an fsmash coming, just like it's easy to see an usmash coming from a TL boomerang hit/spaced zair hit... But Mario's has a larger startup, so it gives you time to up your shields/dodge.

Oh, and Nair is a good combo breaker for Mario too, and less punishable than UpB.
I think UpB is nastier than nair, because of the size of the hitbox (and the range), plus his invincibility (he has some on startup, right?). I guess nair is okay too, so meh.

I also think we have an edge on Mario on-stage, but not by much. He can rack us up until 40-50%, but... Then what? He has to poke with hits, and his vertical aerial movement isn't as great as Kirby's, and considering our multiple jumps, lightweight and small size, it's harder for Mario to land moves on Kirby than the other way around.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I think UpB is nastier than nair, because of the size of the hitbox (and the range), plus his invincibility (he has some on startup, right?). I guess nair is okay too, so meh.
Yes, Mario's up-b has invincibility frames. It has the same problem as Marth's up-b though (long landing lag), making nair the more reliable option.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kewkky, I agree with most of what you said, and yeah, when strung, it is avoidable on reaction. However, when used to punish, it starts up fast enough that you shouldn't be able to shield it.

So basically, for a punishing KO move, it is fast. However, as with most KO moves in this game, you can still see it coming and react to it.

As for UpB, you're right, but you can SDI Mario's UpB, which can in turn make you hit the ground long before him, which hurts him considerably.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kewkky, I agree with most of what you said, and yeah, when strung, it is avoidable on reaction. However, when used to punish, it starts up fast enough that you shouldn't be able to shield it.

So basically, for a punishing KO move, it is fast. However, as with most KO moves in this game, you can still see it coming and react to it.
Just like our fsmash! Which is why I didn't say it was a bad kill move, it's still one awesome hit. It's just that, well, when people start paying close attention, it's the lightning-fast ones that get 'em, like Kirby and his bair. :D

As for UpB, you're right, but you can SDI Mario's UpB, which can in turn make you hit the ground long before him, which hurts him considerably.
I dunno... It's pretty hard seeing the upB coming. By the time anyone realizes they're getting hit by a surprise upB, it's too late to SDI... I really like that move, and meh at the drawback (it's used as a combo breaker because of the drawback, so if the opponent doesn't expect it while he/she strings, it's a sad day for their strings). If only Kirby had an invincible upB too... :(

Up B of Mario as an OOS option gets annoying. So what are good stages against Mario? I also think it's a 55:45 Kirby

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Who said I was done with Olimar? =P

Oh well, I also main Mario, I'll put my imput if Mario is still talkable later on.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think this matchup is pretty even...Mario can run circles around Kirby and be a homo, and Kirby's light weight means he can kinda afford to trade hits in this matchup. Mario can actually try to use B-throw as a KO move in this matchup since Kirby is light and floaty.

Mario's U-air also beats all of Kirby's aerials, Jab D-smash COMBOS on Kirby (unblockable), FLUDD Cape and N-air can do silly stuff to Kirby's recovery, so yeah, Mario has the tools to win. Kirby is just kinda gay to approach in general cause he has a lot of range and multiple jumps and Mario just needs to watch out for D-air if he recovers low, otherwise he'll be fine.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Mario can run circles around Kirby and be a homo
I think Kirby and Mario's ground+aerial speed are pretty much the same as Mario's. And how can Mario hope to reach an aircamping Kirby without ending up in uncomfortable positions like freefall?

and Kirby's light weight means he can kinda afford to trade hits in this matchup.
Kirby may be light, but he also kills pretty early. A good up-angled fsmash might be slightly weaker than Luigi's, but it still has WAY more range... I don't think Mario should trade hits unless he has the advantage... Otherwise, he's just setting himself up for a kill (same goes for Kirby if he goes for traded hits).

Mario can actually try to use B-throw as a KO move in this matchup since Kirby is light and floaty.
Kirby's light, but not SUPER light. He can survive till decent %s (140-160%) with proper DI and momentum cancelling, when not against character with powerful (and fast) kill moves.

Mario's U-air also beats all of Kirby's aerials
If Mario is under Kirby, then yes. However, Kirby's bair still reigns supreme: long-lasting hitbox (not just a single frame), strong knockback (able to kill AND gimp, that's why it's strong), crazy diagonal/decent horizontal disjoints (infamous for this one). If by beating you mean ending lag, then it might just beat it... However, Kirby's bair still will go through your uair when used properly, and Mario's uair won't reach Kirby if we do falling bairs while you're airborne, then land with a GTFO move like our ftilt (which combos from bair).

FLUDD Cape and N-air can do silly stuff to Kirby's recovery
Only if we recover predictably. How will all of those work if Kirby just floats around the jumping Mario? Remember that we have 5 jumps and we're floaty (slow falling speed), so saying you can FLUDD/Cape/Nair our upB's is pretty iffy, thanks to the game's DI and our multiple jumps/slow falling speed.

Mario has the tools to win.
I completely agree, but it's way harder for Mario to win than it is for Kirby. What if we enver allow you to setup your short-ranged combo starters? What if we never fall in range of your grabs due to your grab range and our multiple jumps (and when we run out of jumps, we just land when you're far enough or whiff an approach)? What about if you're offstage, and we know you'll only make it to the edge if you cape, and we grab the ledge when your cape ends? To me, Kirby has it loads easier than mario does.

Kirby is just kinda gay to approach in general cause he has a lot of range and multiple jumps and Mario just needs to watch out for D-air if he recovers low, otherwise he'll be fine.
Kirby could just edgehog Mario as an alternative for dairs. Or we can bair you farther away every time while keeping an eye for retaliations. Or we could grab release you near the ledge (if we get the grab, which shouldn't be hard at all) and grab the ledge then hit you with an invincible bair/fall with a dair on you/ grab the ledge and hit you with an aerial hammer if you land on-stage with an upB of yours due to your landing lag.

Stages? I dunno. Kirby does well in all legal stages according to the SBR's tierlist, Marios should help us out with this one... Sad thing is, for Marios to counterpick us, they'll have to CP stages with close sides... Which are our favorite CPs, too, since we kill crazy early with fsmash and bair.

Mario definitely has the tools to win, but Kirby has it wa easier. Mario only has 2 jumps and an upB, for example, making it easier for us to juggle him than the other way around, easier for us to avoid gimps/spikes/edgeguards than the other way around, and easier to find openings than it is for Mario due to our aircamping capabilities... Our fsmash can compare to Mario's fsmash, and Mario can punish with his fsmash. However, Kirby's sees more uses (frametraps for landing opponents, edgeguards, KO option on-stage, pushing shielding opponents off the stage onto the ledge into disadvantaged positions...) due to its range, long-lasting AND moving hitbox, and the hitbox-extending-through-his-body-to-his-back thing.

Whatever ratios you guys wanna put, I'm good with. But, you guys should know it's not, nor ever going to be, dead even (50:50)... Ever.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My impression overall is that Mario honestly lands kill moves more reliably and safely. That's his main advantage in this matchup if you ask me, besides having a more reliable and safer camp, so all in all, I'd say defensively, Mario has the advantage. Sure...Kirby does kill earlier on several moves, but all of them are pretty situational, besides stuff like edgeguards with Down-B if Mario recovers too low.

Kirby's F-smash is a pretty good punisher, but it's a lot less safe than Mario's because he moves towards you as he does it...Mario's F-smash isn't exactly super safe, but it does push you away a good distance. Same goes for his D-smash on block, which is fairly safe. Kirby's KO moves are better on spotdodges however, although F-smash in particular is much less effective the later you hit it with.

Jab D-smash and B-throw are legit high% options that are not hard for Mario to land at all, and generally speaking Mario is more competent when he's in close range with faster options to work with. Mario's Up-smash out of shield is also really good, and makes crossovers really risky to do against Mario.

Kirby's main advantages...are things like his B-air kills at really high percents, Down-B and occasionally D-air edgeguarding, and if he's able to land a lot of lucky F-smashes or sweetspottted Up-smashes. His F-tilt and B-air are kinda stupid to work around, but he doesn't have infinite priority to guarantee that Mario won't get in without landing hits. He doesn't really have a real way to approach Mario either besides hoping that his B-air will shield poke while Mario can definitely get away with some crossover mixups on block safely.

I'm calling for 50/50 personally just because I think Mario has more defensive options and moderately reliable setups into some of his kills to compensate for Kirby's power and edgeguard options in general.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
My impression overall is that Mario honestly lands kill moves more reliably and safely.
Mario's fsmash has less horizontal range than Kirby's fsmash. His fsmash being punishable is bad, but I don't think a player would want to land in a bad position at high %s, unless the fsmash was a sure hit. So, saying that Kirby's fsmash is more punishable when it's being used in the same was as Mario's fsmash (to punish), when Kirby's kills earlier, has more range, and whose hitbox lasts a long while, is pretty much bupkis.

That's his main advantage in this matchup if you ask me, besides having a more reliable and safer camp, so all in all, I'd say defensively, Mario has the advantage.
What if Kirby absorbed Mario, and he has fireballs... What can Mario do about an aircamping spam-happy Kirby? We have lots of jumps and are floaty, after all, so whatever answer you will have against Kirby, Kirby will have against Mario (powershield and go in for an uair? Kirby can do this vs Mario too).

Sure...Kirby does kill earlier on several moves, but all of them are pretty situational, besides stuff like edgeguards with Down-B if Mario recovers too low.
Are you implying that Kirby's fsmash and bair are situational? His fsmash is no more situational that Mario's fsmash, if not less situational. Having more range and a longer-lasting hitbox assures that situations arise more often, and Kirby's bair is hardly situational... A situational Kirby kill move could be... A Kirby uthrow kill at 150-160%, which will happen if you avoid and/or DI his kill moves.

Kirby's F-smash is a pretty good punisher, but it's a lot less safe than Mario's because he moves towards you as he does it...
Less safe, but better for punishing. Higher risk/reward, and the risk isn't that bad either... Worst that could happen is Kirby gets shieldgrabbed of poked with a non-lethal hit due to the shield knockback when he hits the opponents' shields.

Mario's F-smash isn't exactly super safe, but it does push you away a good distance.
So, Kirby's doesn't? If used near ledges, Kirby's fsmash is his safest move: if opponents block, they tumple onto the ledges, making it unpunishable. Away from the ledges, the worst that could happen is we get shieldgrabbed, or poked by a non-lethal attack due to the knockback you'll receive from shielding the kick.

Same goes for his D-smash on block, which is fairly safe.
Luckily, Kirby can ftilt Mario if your dsmash hits our shield. Your hitbox is extended forward, and we have enough time to hit your extended head's hurtbox...

Kirby's KO moves are better on spotdodges however, although F-smash in particular is much less effective the later you hit it with.
Kirby's fsmash is less effective the later we hit with it? I don't understand this well... Can you rephrase it, please?

Jab D-smash and B-throw are legit high% options that are not hard for Mario to land at all, and generally speaking Mario is more competent when he's in close range with faster options to work with. Mario's Up-smash out of shield is also really good, and makes crossovers really risky to do against Mario.
What if we do falling bairs? We can ftilt you before you usmash, and we can even do falling bair>rising bair without risking shieldgrabs on the falling bairs due to the knockback on shields.

Kirby's main advantages...are things like his B-air kills at really high percents
What! Kirby can kill with a fresh bair at 130-140%, I don't think that those are 'really high percents'.

His F-tilt and B-air are kinda stupid to work around, but he doesn't have infinite priority to guarantee that Mario won't get in without landing hits.
Same goes for Mario's fireballs, grabs, and spacers. Kirby can get around them without taking damage. Saying otherwise will point out to you being biased to your character's advantage due to not having played good Kirbies.

He doesn't really have a real way to approach Mario either besides hoping that his B-air will shield poke while Mario can definitely get away with some crossover mixups on block safely.
Nope. We can approach with shieldgrabs, bairs, ftilts, dash attacks (which are quite sexy), and even feint a shield approach then turn around and utilt your projectile AND yourself for running in expecting some frame advantage.

I'm calling for 50/50 personally just because I think Mario has more defensive options and moderately reliable setups into some of his kills to compensate for Kirby's power and edgeguard options in general.
Why didn't you talk about Kirby's aircamping? What can Mario do if Kirby has the advantage, then just shields all the fireballs and aircamps Mario, then whenever Mario approaches he goes for the ledges? If you get close to the ledges, KIRBICIDE. If you don't get close to the ledges, then we can fair you and retreat back to the ledges with no fear of retaliation due to our multi-hitbox and floatiness. If you spam fireballs, we just drop off, jump around a bit, then grab the ledge, since we're not just going to jump into the fireballs and into your combos... And what about if Kirby takes your power and starts camping you back? We can use the fireballs better than you guys, and that's a fact.

I can't agree on 50:50, sorry. Kirby has an easier time here. If Mario can only beat Kirby in defensive maneuvers as you say, then obviously Kirby has the more options, therefore he has the advantage, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom