• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Kirby Matchup Thread, now discussing: LUCAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's fsmash has less horizontal range than Kirby's fsmash. His fsmash being punishable is bad, but I don't think a player would want to land in a bad position at high %s, unless the fsmash was a sure hit. So, saying that Kirby's fsmash is more punishable when it's being used in the same was as Mario's fsmash (to punish), when Kirby's kills earlier, has more range, and whose hitbox lasts a long while, is pretty much bupkis.
Less horizontal range? I don't have the time to reconfirm this, but I'm quite certain that Mario's reverse F-smash has more range than Kirby's F-smash.

What if Kirby absorbed Mario, and he has fireballs... What can Mario do about an aircamping spam-happy Kirby? We have lots of jumps and are floaty, after all, so whatever answer you will have against Kirby, Kirby will have against Mario (powershield and go in for an uair? Kirby can do this vs Mario too).
Inhale is barely viable and only works on people who screw up, so this will rarely, if ever happen. Mario's D-air is also a very good answer to this, as the multiple hits tend to easily cause Kirby to drop his power.

Are you implying that Kirby's fsmash and bair are situational? His fsmash is no more situational that Mario's fsmash, if not less situational. Having more range and a longer-lasting hitbox assures that situations arise more often, and Kirby's bair is hardly situational... A situational Kirby kill move could be... A Kirby uthrow kill at 150-160%, which will happen if you avoid and/or DI his kill moves.
The fact it's less safe on block does mean it's more situational. After all, you don't want to get Up-smashed out of shield at a kill percent.

Less safe, but better for punishing. Higher risk/reward, and the risk isn't that bad either... Worst that could happen is Kirby gets shieldgrabbed of poked with a non-lethal hit due to the shield knockback when he hits the opponents' shields.
Debateable, as I believe Mario's F-smash in fact has more range.

So, Kirby's doesn't? If used near ledges, Kirby's fsmash is his safest move: if opponents block, they tumple onto the ledges, making it unpunishable. Away from the ledges, the worst that could happen is we get shieldgrabbed, or poked by a non-lethal attack due to the knockback you'll receive from shielding the kick.
Up-smash out of shield and B-throw are viable kill options that can punish.

Kirby's fsmash is less effective the later we hit with it? I don't understand this well... Can you rephrase it, please?
It's like a sex kick...it gets weaker the longer it is out.

What if we do falling bairs? We can ftilt you before you usmash, and we can even do falling bair>rising bair without risking shieldgrabs on the falling bairs due to the knockback on shields.
You really underestimate the lack of shieldstun in this game. Not to mention how much faster Mario's out of shield game is in general. That's all I need to say.

What! Kirby can kill with a fresh bair at 130-140%, I don't think that those are 'really high percents'.
Keyword is "fresh" (not to mention sweetspotted). I know what I'm talking about.

Same goes for Mario's fireballs, grabs, and spacers. Kirby can get around them without taking damage. Saying otherwise will point out to you being biased to your character's advantage due to not having played good Kirbies.
So what? Mario has more options to counter Kirby's approaches. Up-B, N-air, Up-smash are some of Mario's best options out of shield.

Nope. We can approach with shieldgrabs, bairs, ftilts, dash attacks (which are quite sexy), and even feint a shield approach then turn around and utilt your projectile AND yourself for running in expecting some frame advantage.
None of these are actually safe. B-air isn't an approach...just a poke option.

Why didn't you talk about Kirby's aircamping? What can Mario do if Kirby has the advantage, then just shields all the fireballs and aircamps Mario, then whenever Mario approaches he goes for the ledges? If you get close to the ledges, KIRBICIDE. If you don't get close to the ledges, then we can fair you and retreat back to the ledges with no fear of retaliation due to our multi-hitbox and floatiness. If you spam fireballs, we just drop off, jump around a bit, then grab the ledge, since we're not just going to jump into the fireballs and into your combos... And what about if Kirby takes your power and starts camping you back? We can use the fireballs better than you guys, and that's a fact.
Kirby isn't Metaknight. If he does anything not named Down-B, it can be beaten with U-air so waiting for him to come down is a viable option. Down-B by the way isn't viable onstage, so I rarely need to worry about it provided I know how to dodge on reaction.

Mario's Fireballs as I recall have more range that Kirby's keep in mind.

I can't agree on 50:50, sorry. Kirby has an easier time here. If Mario can only beat Kirby in defensive maneuvers as you say, then obviously Kirby has the more options, therefore he has the advantage, right?
Neither character really likes approaching...Mario has more options to counter Kirby's approach options thanks to his better out of shield game, and his camping is fundamentally more versatile, meaning that Kirby's air approaches are less safe than Mario's.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think Kirby and Mario's ground+aerial speed are pretty much the same as Mario's. And how can Mario hope to reach an aircamping Kirby without ending up in uncomfortable positions like freefall?
Mario is actually faster on the ground and in the air, though has a lot less aerial mobility due to Kirby's jumps.

Kirby may be light, but he also kills pretty early. A good up-angled fsmash might be slightly weaker than Luigi's, but it still has WAY more range... I don't think Mario should trade hits unless he has the advantage... Otherwise, he's just setting himself up for a kill (same goes for Kirby if he goes for traded hits).
Mario does too if his Fsmash or Usmash are fresh. Bair as well, but that is never fresh.

Kirby's light, but not SUPER light. He can survive till decent %s (140-160%) with proper DI and momentum cancelling, when not against character with powerful (and fast) kill moves.
For a Mario Bthrow, that's kind of early :laugh:

Only if we recover predictably. How will all of those work if Kirby just floats around the jumping Mario? Remember that we have 5 jumps and we're floaty (slow falling speed), so saying you can FLUDD/Cape/Nair our upB's is pretty iffy, thanks to the game's DI and our multiple jumps/slow falling speed.
Gimping Kirby is not easy, but it's not undoable either. FLUDD/Cape both **** Kirby's UpB and/or can be used to deplete his jumps to force the UpB, as can fireballs and aerials. Anytime Kirby isn't recovering high (which he almost always should in this MU, unless if he gets hit with a Dsmash or maybe Ftilt at high percent), there is potential for a gimp.

I completely agree, but it's way harder for Mario to win than it is for Kirby. What if we enver allow you to setup your short-ranged combo starters? What if we never fall in range of your grabs due to your grab range and our multiple jumps (and when we run out of jumps, we just land when you're far enough or whiff an approach)? What about if you're offstage, and we know you'll only make it to the edge if you cape, and we grab the ledge when your cape ends? To me, Kirby has it loads easier than mario does.
Ledge camping/planking isn't very effective... especially against Mario. Fireball>followed by runoff Bair>pivot UpB = stagespike guaranteed if you're trying to ledgecamp and are not MK/G&W/maybe Marth. On top of that, Mario has an effective speed-hugging option.

Air camping can be a problem though, especially considering how well Bair can stop attempts to punish it. However, FLUDD can mess up your positioning, which can lead to a situation where we punish Kirby's eventual landing. That being said, that scenario is still bad for Mario.

Kirby could just edgehog Mario as an alternative for dairs. Or we can bair you farther away every time while keeping an eye for retaliations. Or we could grab release you near the ledge (if we get the grab, which shouldn't be hard at all) and grab the ledge then hit you with an invincible bair/fall with a dair on you/ grab the ledge and hit you with an aerial hammer if you land on-stage with an upB of yours due to your landing lag.
While that's true, Mario has very good DI, and only Dsmash and 2nd swing hammer will really send him at a low enough angle to put what you said into play. Best bet is to knock him back out with Bair when he recovers high enough times that he can't make it back.

Stages? I dunno. Kirby does well in all legal stages according to the SBR's tierlist, Marios should help us out with this one... Sad thing is, for Marios to counterpick us, they'll have to CP stages with close sides... Which are our favorite CPs, too, since we kill crazy early with fsmash and bair.
Japes. Japes hurts Mario pretty bad due to the water essentially crippling him.

Mario definitely has the tools to win, but Kirby has it wa easier. Mario only has 2 jumps and an upB, for example, making it easier for us to juggle him than the other way around, easier for us to avoid gimps/spikes/edgeguards than the other way around, and easier to find openings than it is for Mario due to our aircamping capabilities... Our fsmash can compare to Mario's fsmash, and Mario can punish with his fsmash. However, Kirby's sees more uses (frametraps for landing opponents, edgeguards, KO option on-stage, pushing shielding opponents off the stage onto the ledge into disadvantaged positions...) due to its range, long-lasting AND moving hitbox, and the hitbox-extending-through-his-body-to-his-back thing.
It's actually a lot easier for Mario to Juggle Kirby if the Mario knows how to escape Kirby's strings. However, Mario's Fsmash is a LOT better than Kirby's. Sweetspotted, they both kill early, but Mario's is faster, has no real punishable downtime, a lot more range, and a smaller downtime (which also has no warning sound at the beginning, instead having a startup that makes his hurtbox smaller.). Kirby's, on the other hand, is a lingering hitbox, which is good as well, but for different things, and also has a lot of range, though not quite as much.
As for the uses for Kirby's Fsmash... all of those apply to Mario's as well. Only the Frametrap for landing opponents is better due to the lingering hitbox.

Whatever ratios you guys wanna put, I'm good with. But, you guys should know it's not, nor ever going to be, dead even (50:50)... Ever.
It *may* not be dead even, but if not, it's honestly not far from it.

Mario's fsmash has less horizontal range than Kirby's fsmash. His fsmash being punishable is bad, but I don't think a player would want to land in a bad position at high %s, unless the fsmash was a sure hit. So, saying that Kirby's fsmash is more punishable when it's being used in the same was as Mario's fsmash (to punish), when Kirby's kills earlier, has more range, and whose hitbox lasts a long while, is pretty much bupkis.
Mario's actually has more range, especially when stutter stepped, and more of it is disjoincted.

What if Kirby absorbed Mario, and he has fireballs... What can Mario do about an aircamping spam-happy Kirby? We have lots of jumps and are floaty, after all, so whatever answer you will have against Kirby, Kirby will have against Mario (powershield and go in for an uair? Kirby can do this vs Mario too).
Kirby definitely has the advantage in this scenario. However, there is one thing Mario can do that Kirby can't: Shoot FLUDD at you (it beats fireballs) until you lose the power (water and windboxes can make you lose powers). Still not a great situation though.

Are you implying that Kirby's fsmash and bair are situational? His fsmash is no more situational that Mario's fsmash, if not less situational. Having more range and a longer-lasting hitbox assures that situations arise more often, and Kirby's bair is hardly situational... A situational Kirby kill move could be... A Kirby uthrow kill at 150-160%, which will happen if you avoid and/or DI his kill moves.
Situational may not be the right word, but Fsmash isn't a staple killer either.

Bair, however, is a staple killer, since, while I'm guessing you don't know this A2, but Kirby's pummel refreshes his moves, despite being quite fast, meaning it is very easy to refresh Bair in kill percents.

Less safe, but better for punishing. Higher risk/reward, and the risk isn't that bad either... Worst that could happen is Kirby gets shieldgrabbed of poked with a non-lethal hit due to the shield knockback when he hits the opponents' shields.
Mario can Dsmash us if he PSes it, and probably even if he doesn't (though I'm not sure on that one.). He can probably punish it with Fsmash too, considering Kirby can Fsmash himself in a ditto if he shields an opponent's Fsmash.

So, Kirby's doesn't? If used near ledges, Kirby's fsmash is his safest move: if opponents block, they tumple onto the ledges, making it unpunishable. Away from the ledges, the worst that could happen is we get shieldgrabbed, or poked by a non-lethal attack due to the knockback you'll receive from shielding the kick.
If used near an edge... maybe. And even then, a roll kills it. In general though, it's not as safe as Mario's because Kirby moves in the same direction they do, whereas Mario actually takes a step back in the direction opposite they were moving.

Kirby's fsmash is less effective the later we hit with it? I don't understand this well... Can you rephrase it, please?
He meant the initial hit is the sweetspot, and on a spotdodge it hits with the sourspot.

What if we do falling bairs? We can ftilt you before you usmash, and we can even do falling bair>rising bair without risking shieldgrabs on the falling bairs due to the knockback on shields.
If well spaced, a falling Bair wins. However, if you do a crossover, as A2 mentiions, then you will be in Usmash range due to Kirby's rather slow airspeed, and it will hit before the Ftilt/2nd Bair.

Same goes for Mario's fireballs, grabs, and spacers. Kirby can get around them without taking damage. Saying otherwise will point out to you being biased to your character's advantage due to not having played good Kirbies.
Except what he said was that Mario can work around them without being completely shut out. You just said that Kirby should never get hit by Mario, and that saying otherwise proves a bias. You may want to rephrase that, because that is incredibly false. Or maybe you meant we would perfect shield every attack and spotdodge every grab?

Nope. We can approach with shieldgrabs, bairs, ftilts, dash attacks (which are quite sexy), and even feint a shield approach then turn around and utilt your projectile AND yourself for running in expecting some frame advantage.
DA is actually a bad idea since you can SDI it and punish before it ends, or if you shielded it, shieldgrab before it ends.
Also, more often than not, Mario should follow the fireball, but not be so close as to get hit by a Utilt, especially since I think it actually clashes with the fireball. In general though, Kirby is lacking approach options, and the best thing to do is bait an approach. Mario, on the other hand, has approach options, but he too is better off baiting approaches, but has a projectile to do it with.
That being said, Kirby's Bair is indeed a good way to approach in this MU (But be careful of shieldgrabs. Mario has a fair number of shield punishing moves, such as Dair and cape on shield. Hell, even weak FLUDD then punish the missed grab.)

Why didn't you talk about Kirby's aircamping? What can Mario do if Kirby has the advantage, then just shields all the fireballs and aircamps Mario, then whenever Mario approaches he goes for the ledges? If you get close to the ledges, KIRBICIDE. If you don't get close to the ledges, then we can fair you and retreat back to the ledges with no fear of retaliation due to our multi-hitbox and floatiness. If you spam fireballs, we just drop off, jump around a bit, then grab the ledge, since we're not just going to jump into the fireballs and into your combos... And what about if Kirby takes your power and starts camping you back? We can use the fireballs better than you guys, and that's a fact.
Already addressed all these points, though those are in fact good situations for Kirby.

@ A2, if Kirby is in such a situation where DownB gimping is a good idea, then he probably should have Dair gimped you before you got near the edge.

Also, pummel refreshes make Bair a reliable kill move.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Less horizontal range? I don't have the time to reconfirm this, but I'm quite certain that Mario's reverse F-smash has more range than Kirby's F-smash.
our fsmash has a disjoint in front of it, as well as this huge one on top of it... So it also has more vertical range. And when you add in the fact that we move forward, our hitbox follows us, extending the reach. Sure it gets weaker, but as long as it hits its mark and they don't shield, the knockback will be enough to let us regain control of Kirby (which is like what, 10-15 frames [1/6-1/4 second?)

Inhale is barely viable and only works on people who screw up, so this will rarely, if ever happen. Mario's D-air is also a very good answer to this, as the multiple hits tend to easily cause Kirby to drop his power.
It's a punishing move, and a very deadly one. If you make a single mistake (every player makes mistakes, so expect to get inhaled at least once per game if we're looking for it), get ready to mash out or deal with camping.

The fact it's less safe on block does mean it's more situational. After all, you don't want to get Up-smashed out of shield at a kill percent.
Like I said... Why would we risk fsmashing at high %s unless we were sure the fsmash was gonna hit, like when we frametrap your landing lag? i, personally, just go for lots of feinting to see what my opponents' patterns are, then go in for lots of shieldgrabs and pummels to refresh my moves, as well as kill with uthrows... If it means surviving, then shieldgrabbing ftw.

Up-smash out of shield and B-throw are viable kill options that can punish.
What if we're looking for grabs, instead of looking to hit you guys with moves? Mario above Kirby isn't a good position, and even less when you guys get pummeled+dthrowed at high %s... That's a disadvantaged position for you guys.

It's like a sex kick...it gets weaker the longer it is out.
Ah yes, it's true... But it still kills off the top, and it's not as bad as it seems.

You really underestimate the lack of shieldstun in this game. Not to mention how much faster Mario's out of shield game is in general. That's all I need to say.
I think you're thinking the Kirby will bair you and land right next to you. We have a disjoint in our bair, making it so that if properly spaced while landing, it is pretty much ungrabbable if we ftilt afterwards. Just in case, our bair combos into our ftilt: if you shield both, you're too far to do anything, and if you don't then it's free damage for us.

Keyword is "fresh" (not to mention sweetspotted). I know what I'm talking about.
Part of Kirby's metagame is gabbing opponents to pummel with our lightning fast pummel. When opponents are at 90-100%, we can get in 4 pummels. When opponents are at 130-140%, we can get in 6-7 pummels depending on our finger dexterity, then a dthrow to have refreshed 8/9 points in our stale-move arsenal... We can either hit you with a bair now, grab you again, or hit you with any other attack to fully refresh everything.

So what? Mario has more options to counter Kirby's approaches. Up-B, N-air, Up-smash are some of Mario's best options out of shield.
To counter Kirby's STRINGING options. Kirby's approaches (using bairs to setup for grabs or tilts, or dash attacks to set up for juggle games) are better stopped by your fireballs, than by your combo breakers.

None of these are actually safe. B-air isn't an approach...just a poke option.
Both, actually. It's our spacer, one of our combo starters, one of our best killing moves, our gimping move, our momentum canceller... It's our multi-purpose move with a nice disjoint on all directions but directly below us, and to top it off, starts and ends fast, as well as the hitbox stays active for a bit... We can poke at your shield with it, or use it when you space fireballs at us.

In a sense, your fireballs are like Pikachu's thunderjolts to us... We counter yours the way we do them, and they have more defensive/offensive/offstage/gimping/edgeguarding options that Mario, yet we have a 45:55 disadvantage. Why, if you have so many worse traits than Pikachu, would you still push for just a 5-point difference? I literally feel that the Mario match-up is harder for Mario than it is for Kirby.

Kirby isn't Metaknight. If he does anything not named Down-B, it can be beaten with U-air so waiting for him to come down is a viable option. Down-B by the way isn't viable onstage, so I rarely need to worry about it provided I know how to dodge on reaction.
Air camping means that we can spend our time hovering up, down, and landing, until you make a move that we can capitalize on. You have no answer to that if we space our jumps out of your attacks' reaches. All you'll be able to do is fireball us while approaching, and we'll just keep moving closer towards the ledges if you do, where it'll be nigh impossible to get us off.

Mario's Fireballs as I recall have more range that Kirby's keep in mind.
Kirby can just jump over Mario out of his uair's reach and rain down the fireballs on him, instead of doing Mario's standard fireball camping.

Neither character really likes approaching...Mario has more options to counter Kirby's approach options thanks to his better out of shield game, and his camping is fundamentally more versatile, meaning that Kirby's air approaches are less safe than Mario's.
Kirbi's approaches are safer than Mario's approaches, definitely. If Mario is forced to approach, he is ****ed. If Kirby is forced to approach, he WILL get through eventually (he won't suffer mortal damage on the way, it's not like your camping is like TL's and your defensive options are like Snake's. Mario is way easier for us than them, yet you still want to call it even)... Camping? Well, Kirby can just bair the fireballs, hover over them, powershield them, tilt them, or just walk away and grab the ledge.

Except what he said was that Mario can work around them without being completely shut out. You just said that Kirby should never get hit by Mario, and that saying otherwise proves a bias. You may want to rephrase that, because that is incredibly false. Or maybe you meant we would perfect shield every attack and spotdodge every grab?
Nah, sorry, I misunderstood his reply. I read something along the lines of "we have options to get past anything and everything you can throw at us, without taking damage".

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm not going to bother repeating the same stuff over again.

Part of Kirby's metagame is gabbing opponents to pummel with our lightning fast pummel. When opponents are at 90-100%, we can get in 4 pummels. When opponents are at 130-140%, we can get in 6-7 pummels depending on our finger dexterity, then a dthrow to have refreshed 8/9 points in our stale-move arsenal... We can either hit you with a bair now, grab you again, or hit you with any other attack to fully refresh everything.
False, you can't actually refresh moves that fast. Brawl has a "frame limit" on how many inputs it can count at once towards stale moves. If you mash too fast, you will end up only getting one refresh for all your trouble, and most slower pummels will outdamage your fast pummel.

In a sense, your fireballs are like Pikachu's thunderjolts to us... We counter yours the way we do them, and they have more defensive/offensive/offstage/gimping/edgeguarding options that Mario, yet we have a 45:55 disadvantage. Why, if you have so many worse traits than Pikachu, would you still push for just a 5-point difference? I literally feel that the Mario match-up is harder for Mario than it is for Kirby.
Pikachu is honestly overhyped then. Pikachu is honestly not that amazing...he's one of the worst characters in the game at easily scoring KOs, and his aerials all are situational due to landing lag. He only gets extremely lucky against characters that get chaingrabbed by him. Mario isn't just automatically "worse" than Pikachu really, rather he goes pretty dead even with Pikachu for that matter.

Air camping means that we can spend our time hovering up, down, and landing, until you make a move that we can capitalize on. You have no answer to that if we space our jumps out of your attacks' reaches. All you'll be able to do is fireball us while approaching, and we'll just keep moving closer towards the ledges if you do, where it'll be nigh impossible to get us off.
I'll just laugh, because punishing jump zoning on reaction can be really REALLY difficult...when you consider how fast and high most jumps move your character. Since you're not Metaknight or G&W, it's pretty hard to not get punished when Mario is below you, considering that he's pretty **** good at punishing airdodges with his extremely low lag.

Kirby can just jump over Mario out of his uair's reach and rain down the fireballs on him, instead of doing Mario's standard fireball camping.
What's stopping Mario from doing the same thing? Mario's jumps take him pretty high, and besides, fireballing when Mario is under you to U-air is useless. Mario's fireballs also go farther.

Kirbi's approaches are safer than Mario's approaches, definitely. If Mario is forced to approach, he is ****ed. If Kirby is forced to approach, he WILL get through eventually (he won't suffer mortal damage on the way, it's not like your camping is like TL's and your defensive options are like Snake's. Mario is way easier for us than them, yet you still want to call it even)... Camping? Well, Kirby can just bair the fireballs, hover over them, powershield them, tilt them, or just walk away and grab the ledge.
No, it doesn't work that way.

Mario has some extremely good frame traps with his Fireballs and D-air, and his Cape Stalling is MUCH more versatile than a single midair jump for zoning and fakeouts. His crossup game is also better. Granted, the most difficult part is working around Kirby when he retreats and spaces, but when Kirby is on the defensive, Mario has the pressure tools to create openings effectively.

Kirby on the other hand has very few safe options against Mario's quick out of shield game. He cannot directly approach Mario without being at risk, and Mario has the tools to easily punish crossups with his reverse Up-B and Up-smash making it dangerous to cross him up.

Hey A2, you forgot about Kirby with fireballs? Kirby can spam 6 of them on air while approaching or used defensively though it has low priority but still

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
55:45 Kirby imo. I would have to give approaching to Mario...fireballs are too good for approaching.

Gimping is about even...Mario CAN gimp Kirby rather reliably...don't worry, you don't have to believe me.

KOs and overall pressure would go to Kirby. He simply has an easier time with this matchup imo. The easy early dmg racking, the Bair, the Fsmash, and silly shenanigans like inhale gimps and dair spikes give Kirby an edge.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
A2, we're just going to end up going back and forth in this game of Super Theorycraft Bros. I know my character a lot, and you know your character a lot, ad we'll just keep defending our options till the guys put in another matchup.

I'll just say this: it's not dead even (50:50), nor in Mario's advantage (45:55+).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm not going to bother repeating the same stuff over again.

False, you can't actually refresh moves that fast. Brawl has a "frame limit" on how many inputs it can count at once towards stale moves. If you mash too fast, you will end up only getting one refresh for all your trouble, and most slower pummels will outdamage your fast pummel.
Actually, Kirby's pummel has IASA frames, and if you pummel at the right speed, which isn't very hard, you can refresh that many moves with a high percent grab.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think it's even once you start talking about players at Boss's level. Mario is a lot more technical than Kirby, and fewer players can use him properly, but as I've stated, Mario has the tools to be more consistent with kills and winning the approach on defenses game, and the only real reason that Kirby is hard to deal with is mainly because Kirby is more powerful on a number of moves and doesn't have much trouble edgeguarding Mario (which a good Mario should be minimizing with good spacing and smart play in general).

Sure, on a lower level, it's much easier for Kirby to win, but I'm not talking about that at all. I'm talking about when both characters are played properly with full matchup knowledge. Mario's versatility and solid setups and traps are truly formidable when utilized correctly, while Kirby is in many ways more limited to generic spacing, although he has midair jumps to help him do this.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
I'm too lazy to read that huge battle of Theorycraft bros. up there, but I will say this:

There's no way it can be dead even; Kirby definitely has a slight advantage -if not more.
Of course, there's nothing I can say or do that probably hasn't been said up there or that won't lead into another battle of theories. So instead of arguing pointlessly, I'll just leave you with my opinion.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Triple R

Smash Lord
*facepalm*

There is no way this match up is even. I'd settle for 55-45 Kirby.

fireball as an approach is a joke against Kirby, considering Kirby won't even be on the ground half the time.

I think you guys should clarify the fsmash argument. I think there is a misunderstanding between how big the hitbox is and how far the hitbox extends from the own characters hurtbox. Mario's obviously reaches farther, but it's debatable that the hitbox is bigger than Kirby's.

Honestly, if Mario is soooooooo big on out of shield options Kirby shouldn't be affected that much by it. Most Kirby's have learned by now that there are moves that are easily punished by shield even against characters without good out of shield options. Shield all you want. You must not know Kirby's are known to grab.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think it's even once you start talking about players at Boss's level. Mario is a lot more technical than Kirby, and fewer players can use him properly, but as I've stated, Mario has the tools to be more consistent with kills and winning the approach on defenses game, and the only real reason that Kirby is hard to deal with is mainly because Kirby is more powerful on a number of moves and doesn't have much trouble edgeguarding Mario (which a good Mario should be minimizing with good spacing and smart play in general).

Sure, on a lower level, it's much easier for Kirby to win, but I'm not talking about that at all. I'm talking about when both characters are played properly with full matchup knowledge. Mario's versatility and solid setups and traps are truly formidable when utilized correctly, while Kirby is in many ways more limited to generic spacing, although he has midair jumps to help him do this.
So, you're assuming me and my opponent are both low level players?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
55:45 Kirby imo. I would have to give approaching to Mario...fireballs are too good for approaching.

Gimping is about even...Mario CAN gimp Kirby rather reliably...don't worry, you don't have to believe me.

KOs and overall pressure would go to Kirby. He simply has an easier time with this matchup imo. The easy early dmg racking, the Bair, the Fsmash, and silly shenanigans like inhale gimps and dair spikes give Kirby an edge.
I agree with this.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
He's assuming your opponent wasn't Boss/Matador/ThatGuy/Bo X7 level, as do I for that matter. There aren't many Marios in general, let alone of that skill level.

fireball as an approach is a joke against Kirby, considering Kirby won't even be on the ground half the time.

I think you guys should clarify the fsmash argument. I think there is a misunderstanding between how big the hitbox is and how far the hitbox extends from the own characters hurtbox. Mario's obviously reaches farther, but it's debatable that the hitbox is bigger than Kirby's.

Honestly, if Mario is soooooooo big on out of shield options Kirby shouldn't be affected that much by it. Most Kirby's have learned by now that there are moves that are easily punished by shield even against characters without good out of shield options. Shield all you want. You must not know Kirby's are known to grab.
Fireballs allow approaches, so yes, they actually are effective even when Kirby is in the air. They force a reaction, and you punish that reaction, or if you can't, stay out of reach and try again.

I'm not sure which has the bigger hitbox size, but Mario's is more disjoincted and reaches farther.

He can punish shieldgrabs/grabs effectively too. In fact, most characters can, but yeah, Mario's Fireballs, again, force a reaction, so if you want to shieldgrab or something and a fireball is in the way, first thing you're going to do is shield, which will get punished by a Dair.
FLUDD is also good against grabs.

In general though, Kirby does have a great grab game, and will get some grabs in, but it is not a real approach. It is more of a punishing option and the occasional approach option (Use it too much, and it will get punished. Though I personally keep doing it a little after it gets punished, and once they are conditioned to punishing the grab, change it up. That, however, is neither here nor there.).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I want Kirby to be in the air, where I can either attempt to aerial him and go for combos, or fireball him and know he can't powershield it.

Mario's entire body and the explosion is a hitbox.

How far the hitbox reaches however is more important when it comes to zoning options.

This argument fails at logic pretty badly.

yeah Kirby is known to grab, what if I spotdodge on reaction? That gets you punished significantly. Besides, grabbing loses if I just choose to attack instead. The fact that you pretty much have to rely on grabbing or REALLY lucky shield pokes kinda should be an indicator at how limited your options on defenses are, particularly against a character who has quick, solid defensive options.

Generally speaking if you're in the air so much like you stated spacing, my point is that Kirby's options to SAFELY space on Mario are in fact limited due to Mario's wide range of punish options.

Of course, approaching Kirby isn't exactly easy either, but Mario has some good block strings and lower lag on aerials in general and some **** zoning options with the Cape, and fireballs force a defensive reaction and are easy for Mario to follow behind.

LOWER leveled than guys like Boss, KirinBlaze, BO X7, Famous.

Mario is significantly harder to learn at high levels than Kirby, so the number of really competent Marios is rather small, and I'm definitely not one of them.

I guess you can have it at 55/45 just because Kirby is easier to use, although I'll always argue for even on the basis of tools analysis.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I say 55:45 kirby on the basis of tool analysis.
Sure, Kirby kills earlier and has some attacks with more range, but Mario has more solid camping, defense, frame traps, and KO setups. If Mario is playing properly, he's very difficult for Kirby to approach safely. I'd say the higher up you go, Mario only starts performing better in this matchup due to his superior ability to maneuver with low lag poke and camping options, not to mention his more solid defensive options for punishing misakes.

As I see it, if one of Mario's KO moves killed a bit earlier, this matchup would probably be in Mario's favor, since he's better at consistently setting up kills. But since he doesn't kill that early (besides with his moderately situational F-smash), it's a balanced matchup.

Yeah, I really think it's a 55:45 Kirby but to fully approve of it, I though Viper was gonna put an input.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I see how it is. Well, guess I should just stop giving 'amateur' opinions on MUs then. I'll just get back to lurking, I guess. My last comment? STILL not dead even.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Jesus Kewk, calm down. The point is great Mario's are few and far between. Odds are you haven't played one (I know I haven't.). I'm not sure why you're acting insulted by that.

Oh, and you compared it to Pika earlier, and here's the problem (I do this too, and in fact I think everyone does) with comparing to other MU numbers: They're not always right. For example, Yoshi is also marked as 50-50 for Kirby to my knowledge, but is generally much easier than Mario or Pika (And I personally think Pika is a lot easier to deal with than Mario too, if the Mario and Pika are of equal skill).

Triple R, several Marios briefly popped in here, then popped out when they were generally ignored.

General consensus though seems to be that Kirby has more range and kill options, as well as a *slightly* better gimp (I personally disagree), whereas Mario has a better defensive game, more approach options (But then, pretty much everyone has more approach options than Kirby), more damage racking options, and a spammable projectile.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Fromundaman, I'm not pissed or anything, but when what I try to say something it can be ignored easily by saying that "your matchup experience isn't with boss or any of the top Marios, so it doesn't matter what you think", like what I quoted from A2 (which is exactly what I mean), then what's the point in debating? My opponents will always be amateurish unless it's one the opposing debater considers "top". I can't back up my claims by saying "my opponent is a very good Mario player, he is the best in our neighboring island Dominican Republic, and has gone to PR in several occasions and caused lots of chaos similar to Armada in Genesis" since it's not shown in any tourney threads we have, nor do we have videos of us playing against him, nor can I say that we know the Mario MU without someone else doubting it...

Like i said many times in this MU thread, it's easier to just forget about whatever people are debating and sit back and watch. My opponent isn't as good as you believe so what I say can't be used as a valid opinion? Well, might as well just shut up and see what everyone else says. If it all ends up like I was trying to argue (small advantage towards kirby, NOT dead even), then the whole "your opponent isn't top level" argument would've been better off never said, since we ended up concluding the same thing.

I'm not pissed or anything, I've learned to not get pissed over the internet from PR's Smash forums (lots of trolls there, and since it's a close community, you get laughed at for falling fo trolls' baits).

PS: Yoshi's marked as 60:40 our favor... ;)

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I've played Bo x7. on wifi. i mean, i know "hes not at full strength" or whatever because its wifi, and theres some stuff you just cant do right online, but you can still see the general strategies a person tries to employ. also, i consider myself a high level player. that being said, i doubt anyone will take me seriously. which is fine.

So mario wants kirby in the air? i dont think so...kirby wants kirby in the air.

i understand mario wants to get under kirby, but unless mario sets it up with a grab or something, kirby is almost never going to let mario get under him.

Also, i think you guys are assuming too much about kewkky's skill, when in reality, you have no idea how good he is. He still makes good arguments. You cant just discount them by saying his opponents arent good enough.

55:45 kirby.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Mario suffers for a lack of Finishing blows at a good percent, (F-Smash and U-Smash can kill at a good percent, but lading a blow from that will take work if vs Kirby) and his attack range. Mario has to space for safety till he sees the right moment to strike, which can be a little problem for Kirby if he doesn't know how to get pass the Fireballs. His Cape can be annoying to deal with to, but since you can now block it and you won't turn around, it's not too much of a hassle to deal with. FLUDD however can save Mario and is hard to punish if your not close. Mario unlike Luigi doesn't have a game breaker move or a C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER move, (stupid N-Air and Up-B of Luigi), so doing grab strings, or juggling won't get you WTF killed, unless you are behind Mario, Mario B-Air can disrupt your strings from behind. The rest of his air moves shouldn't be too much of a deal, except if he's near the ground and he uses his U-Air strings on you.

This match up shouldn't be hard, just make sure you don't constantly bait and punish, doing that on Mario isn't easy. >.<

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Kirby and Mario have quite a bit of similarities. Both bairs have the same use. Both can combo very well. Both have good edgeguarding. Air game is similar but kirby wins because of how many jumps he has. Kirby's smashes are definitely stronger, but his light weight evens it up sort of. Until Kirby gets Mario's power (if he does) he will get outcamped by Mario. We have more general range than you iirc. Our nair is a combo breaker but it doesn't have stupid kill power like Luigi's has. Our nair is really good actually. It has high priority and can really get you away. FIHL can help and I believe works very well against Kirby.

All in all I think it's even. If not, 55:45 Kirby.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The amount of theory and baseless speculation in this thread are amazing...from both sides. In practice, Kirby wins this matchup, but it's still close. He has a few options that can shut Mario down or severely limit what he can do...Kirby does not have this issue. In addition to that, Kirby KOs earlier than Mario, and has an easier time doing it. There's not much refuting this fact...Fsmash, Bair, and Kirby's sideB, though they may not have clear-cut setups, are still better than Mario's Fsmash and Usmash.

The only thing that keeps this matchup from being 60:40 Kirby is the fact that Mario can keep up with him in every area, and has an easy time getting inside.

We...we can't jump and fireball in this matchup? Have you fought a Mario that's tried this?

Triple R

Smash Lord
We...we can't jump and fireball in this matchup? Have you fought a Mario that's tried this?
Bair the fireball, the practicality of it as an approach is dead. Not saying it won't obviously happen, but I don't think it's as useful as in some of Mario's other matchups.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
wouldn't that make our bair stale? isnt that bad? If we stale our bair, what else are we going to get through mario? Mario has pretty good air mobility, and can get through lots of our crap. Their nair is a slighty nerfed luigi nair, which is amazing. Dair has multi-hit, u-air combo's, and their bair is just like ours. I don't see a lot of fair from mario, but it can a suprize spike i guess. Cutter is a TERRIBLE idea, considering that mario can gimp our faces if we use it. TAKE MARIO'S ABILITY!!! If you want to have a edge in this matchup, camp him to death! Look out for a spaced dair -> fsmash combo, i see tons of marios use it, and it usually works. Honestly, i think this matchup is 50:50. Sorry if I'm not good to the boards or anything, just trying to be a kirby and share my opinion ^_^.

I think everything about the match up is mentioned so overall a 55:45 Kirby in my opinion and judgement. What do you guys think?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Bair the fireball, the practicality of it as an approach is dead. Not saying it won't obviously happen, but I don't think it's as useful as in some of Mario's other matchups.
You can JAB a fireball and put it out. The general idea behind it is to make you react to the fireball, then WE react to your reaction. Hell, getting hit by the fireball is often BETTER and much more advantageous that trying to hit or shield it.

You do something predictable like Bair the fireball, we punish with something spectacular and Mario-esque. Maybe using Bair on the fireball would shut it down as an approach if the spacing is off, but that's down to the player.

When a character has the range that makes it hard to space the fireball and follow-up, then it becomes unviable (Marth...)

My final piece is 55:45 Kirby. Too many options and limiting factors on his end imo.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Long-ish response as well as a PS.
My bad then. Also, I must have been thinking of the old MU numbers.

I just realized very little of this has any use, so I propose something: let's ignore numbers for a bit, and talk about how each character has to play the MU. What I mean is state the correct ways for each character to approach, how each character can counter the other's approach, kill options and the best ways to land them, etc.

You know, something that'll actually help people looking through this thread figure out how to play the MU.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
In Miami... sweating my *** off &gt;.&gt;
☠
Lol, he's completely right; we should leave the numbers for last. The most important thing is that we know how and what to do and where and when to do it. If we keep disputing numbers, we'll be in the Mario MU for 2 months...
☠

Pink murder

Smash Ace
In Miami... sweating my *** off &gt;.&gt;
☠
We talk about just that, what to do and when to do it. I'll start off with something simple -because I don't have time for a wot.

Spit or swallow?

In this MU, I'd definitely stick to swallowing and acquiring his fireballs. To my knowledge, he can't hit you out of a swallow, and you can use his fireballs a lot better than he can. They make approaching so much less tedious, and you can air camp Mario with them. His fireballs could also prove useful for gimping -to some extent- and could be used to recover as well. If you're way behind or ahead however, I'd keep the Kirbycide option open.
☠

^ Plus, Mario can't neutralize all the fireballs that Kirby spams and if Mario capes the fireballs it's pretty useless since it travels shorter anyway

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
He can neutralize them with FLUDD, but other than making Kirby potentially lose the power and messing with his spacing, it doesn't really do much else in that situation.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Can't you spit Mario under the stage with inhale if he tries to cape you?

I know that's a nuisance for me to deal with.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I dunno, it sounds like Kirby's inhale gab would reach Mario's hurtbox and activate the super armor, making the cape pretty much useless.

I might be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom