• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* Single Naner Lock Guide!

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
**NEW** Single Naner Lock Guide!
~by Avarice

Table of Contents
[1.0] Introduction/What is it?
[1.1] How to Perform
[1.2] Help/FAQ
[1.3] Information
[1.4] Videos!
[1.5] Character Specific Discussion
[1.6] Genesis Challenge

[1.0] Introduction/What is it?

The Single Naner Lock was a Diddy banana tech found back in late November by ADHD. The lock, while a very useful technique, was never often used due to the frame-tight timing needed, which could vary slightly per character, and the difficulty of setting up the lock.

The tech has been in the minds of Diddys for the past half year, yet neglected in serious play. The main purpose of this guide is to seriously reconsider the mentality behind this tech; learning it is a very worthwhile investment, and setting it up is not as hard as one might have thought.​

~the tech itself~

The Single Naner Lock is a lock performed by (in the most basic terms) jumping over your opponent, down-throwing a banana, catching the banana with an auto-cancelled dair, and repeating the process. This is inescapable and works on every character in the game except for Luigi. The lock lasts until you get to the end of the stage, and can potentially lead to a free spike. On a lot of characters, this lock dishes out 20-30% damage (depending on where you start the lock) and puts the opponent in a bad position.

However, against some characters like Lucario and Falco, this can be an infinite lock because it’s possible to down-throw a banana at the opposite end of the character’s hurtbox, making him trip the other way, and you can follow up to the other direction and repeat.

Many have opted out of learning this because they’d rather perform a safer glide toss to dash attack, rather than a 30% lock to potential spike. However, an infinite can’t be overlooked. You can punish landing lag or an attack hitting your shield with death against these characters. Don’t be lazy.​

[1.1] How to Perform

~The Original Post:
(well, cropped)

Single naner locking and wall single naner locking infinite: First off I will say this is very useful but before I go into it I'm going to explain a d-air property. Before the hitbox arrives, the dair will autocancel on the ground but even if it does autocancel it is perfectly capable of catching a banana or picking it up on the ground. So, now for the sweet stuff. You cannot naner lock with two bananas on platformed stages as they get stuck on the platforms and it distracts the flow, you can only get at most three naner throws before your opponent can escape. This single naner lock enables you to get more damage than double naner locking and it allows you to naner lock on platformed stages at ease without it ever getting stuck on a platform. How to do it? Read carefully or you won't understand: SH over your opponent and throw the naner a half of a second after the SH is initiated, and then tap the c-stick DOWN twice with proper timing. What happens is by delaying the throw slightly you can throw the banana down twice and then catch it with an autocanceled dair while fast-falling. Shnazzy.
Step-By-Step:

-Short-hop towards the opponent with a banana in hand
-Downthrow your banana very soon after
-Fast Fall and do an Autocancelled Dair, recatching the banana
-Short-hop again IMMEDIATELY afterwards, still towards your opponent.

You should continue to keep going left or right while doing this, keeping a steady momentum.

Controller Steps:

-Left or Right with Analog stick
-SH with X or Y
-Tap C-stick down twice
-As you’re tapping C-stick down the second time, rotate analog stick from left or right to down to Fast Fall
-IMMEDIATELY short hop again with X or Y, holding left or right as you do it.

~notes~​

-Holding your analog stick down may not be necessary to fast fall since c-stick down fast falls anyway, but it feels smoother for me to use the analog stick to fast-fall, even if it’s not doing anything and I’m just moving the stick.

-The timing is almost universal. It will very slightly between characters. To make it simpler, categorize characters in Small, Medium, and Tall. In those groups, the timing is more similar and you’ll be less likely to mess up going between them.

-Each group has its benefits when starting out. At first, it seems like it’d be easiest to SNL larger characters like D3 and Bowser. Larger characters have larger hurtboxes and you’ll be less likely to mess up which direction you lock, but timing is often more frame-tight for larger characters. Smaller characters, like MK and Pikachu, have smaller hurtboxes, so you could accidentally trip them to the right or left when you don’t mean to; however, the timing seems a little more loose to actually lock these characters.

-Because of this, don’t only practice on one group of character. I found small characters to be easiest to do this on (MK), but don’t be afraid to practice other groups once you’ve gotten the basics down with one. Eventually, practice each group. You may get the timing to lock MK down, but you face a Snake in tournament, get a great chance to use the lock, but mess up.

-Even if you mess up, it still sometimes pays off. Two common ways that people mess up the lock are by not auto-cancelling the d-throw, meaning you get a free dair, or by spamming c-stick down and throwing the banana on the ground when you catch it, giving you a free Dsmash.

-If you want to be sure you’re doing it correctly, go to Training mode and set the computer to walk. If you don’t mess up, the computer won’t be able to roll out.

-If you mess up and hit the opponent’s shield, you can still double down-throw on their shield and chip it. Then you can opt to Fsmash to chip off their shield, or simply grab.

-This takes practice to get consistently, so don’t fret.

-Each character has a different roll animation. Some roll animations, like GnW’s, are easy to lock because it takes him a bit longer to get up from a trip. Some roll animations, like Lucario’s, don’t go far from a trip, so you can get more banana throws in an pass across a stage (although you can infinite him anyway).

-Luigi can’t be naner locked because he slides from a trip.

-Why-am-I-messing-up questions can be found in the Help/FAQ part of the guide.

Recommended Characters to Start Practice

General Lock: GnW (long trip animation, short), ROB (long trip animation, medium), DK (long trip animation, tall)
Infinite: Lucario (doesn’t go far from a trip, medium)​

~Ending the Lock~

As aforementioned, the banana lock can lead to a spike at the edge of the stage. Depending on where they trip last on the stage, they go far enough offstage to lead to a dair (and because the dair is part of the lock anyway, the spike isn’t difficult to do). With characters with short trip animations (Wario, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Sonic) the spike is guaranteed.. Spiking characters with longer trip animations is difficult because the last trip has to be right on the ledge, and there’s no way of spacing where you start the lock beforehand to lead up to a spike.

If this is the case, you can end the lock with a number ways. One of the easiest is doing a fast-fall in fair place of an auto-cancelled dair. If you’re looking for a kill, do the first couple of steps but don’t catch the banana when it bounces back up; instead, fast fall, land, and do a Dsmash for the kill.

~Infinite Single Naner Lock~

Some characters can be infinited by this. It’s possible to dthrow the banana on the opposite end of the opponent as you’re doing the lock, and the opponent will trip in the other direction, giving you room to start the lock again in the opposite direction. A list of who can be infinited vs. who can’t can be found in the Information section of this guide.

This is really difficult. Don’t fret if you can’t do this after some minutes of practice. Learning it is worthwhile. For me, the easiest character to infinite is Lucario. I’ve gotten him to 108% in training mode with the banana hits alone, which I’m guessing would be 60-70% in an actual game due to stale moves. 60% plus a follow-up is huge for punishing a laggy hit near you or on your shield.

[1.2] Help/FAQ​

This section is going to cover specific mess-ups and other questions while doing the naner lock.

Q: Can you do this with other aerials, such as bair/uair instead of auto-cancelled dair?
A: NO. The opponent would have a chance to roll out with any other aerial. The auto-cancelled dair is necessary because you have to jump right as you land. There’s slight landing lag with any other aerial.

Q: When I try to do it, I keep not being able to auto-cancel my dair and lags when I hit the ground.
A: Either you aren’t fast-falling right as you dair (again, I’ll have to test the analog stick’s influence on this) or you’re throwing the banana too early when you short-hop, so when you dair to catch it, you aren’t at the apex of your jump and you can’t fast-fall. Remember that timing differs between types of characters.

Q: When I try to do it, I’m not able to catch my banana after I dthrow.
A: You’re either not pressing c-stick down fast enough, or more likely, you’re just dthrowing the banana too late.

Q: When I try to do it, after the first or second throw, they just roll out.
A: The time at which you throw the banana could have an effect, but I think the main cause is that you aren’t jumping early enough. You have to short-hop IMMEDIATELY after you land with the auto-cancelled dair; there’s no lag, so you can even buffer a jump for best results. Waiting a split-second or running on ground then jumping won’t work; you have to jump immediately.

Q: I can’t seem to ever get the spike.
A: There isn’t a way to consistently get it, as you have to make them trip right on the ledge, most of the time. It’s often not worth trying for the spike unless they’re large character’s, as if you whiff the spike, you’re fast-falling right under the ledge, and a character like MK or Jiggs can just gimp you.

Q: I can’t do it to the right.
A: LOL. No one can, it seems. A lot of Diddys feel more natural doing this to the left than to the right. There really isn’t a difference between directions other than the direction you’re going, but naner locking in the direction you’re not used to going feels awkward. Make sure you practice both ways.

Q: What if I whiff this and it hits their shield, they roll away, or I just miss?
A: You still have a lot of options even if you miss. For example, if you hit their shield, then you can go around their shield and bair, pushing them into the banana and making them trip while still chipping off their shield. There are many other things that you can do, you can find a lot of it in the Variants and Other Stuff section.

Q: This is too hard! Why even learn it?
A: Infinite. You can punish lag with a guaranteed kill. …yeah.

Q: But what about the characters you can’t infinite?
A: It’s still worth it for most characters in the cast, because you can put them in a bad position afterwards. When naner locking DK, you can finish with fair at the ledge to put him in a bad position, and edge guard him (Diddy ***** DK at edge guarding him). When naner locking ROB, you finish with a nair at the ledge and put him above you, and you also get a free banana throw up to hit him. ROB sucks when he’s above you. Plus, you’re getting 30% damage at least (including finisher Fsmash or fair or whatnot) every time you do it. It may take a couple weeks to do consistently, but it’s worth it in the end.

Q: How should I go about practicing this?
A: 10-15 minutes a day in Training mode helps. It’s a small chunk of time, and if you do it daily, you’ll see yourself improving until you get it consistently.

[1.3] Information​

Characters that can not be Single Naner Locked:
Luigi
Ice Climbers (together no, individually yes)

Characters that can be Single Naner Locked:
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Falco
Fox
Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers (individually, not together)
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Mario
Marth
Meta Knight
Ness
Olimar
Peach
Pikachu
Pit
Pokemon Trainer (all pokemon)
R.O.B.
Samus
Sheik
Snake
Sonic
Toon Link
Wario
Wolf
Yoshi
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

Characters that can be Single Naner Lock Infinited:
Lucario
Sonic
Wario
Jigglypuff
Pikachu?
(there's more; still in progress)

note: I'll need help testing the infinite. I've been messing around with trying to buffer a dash and jump upon landing, and seeing if you can still infinite. If that's possible, infiniting characters would be easier (well much harder, but more possible infinitable characters).

Naner Lock Difficulty Ratings:
(note: these are my personal ratings and may not be universal, however I based my personal ratings on trip animations and trip lengths. For example, GnW is under easy because he has a long trip animation, giving you more room for error)

Easy:
Game and Watch
Peach
Lucario
R.O.B.
Pikachu
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Wario
(WiP)

Medium:
Meta Knight
Bowser
Mario
Marth
Donkey Kong
(WiP)

Hard:
Wolf
(WiP)

[1.4] Videos!​

(WiP)​

Single Naner Lock Guide Video - Part 1 of 2
~by Avarice

Single Naner Lock Guide Video - Part 2 of 2
~by Avarice

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
[1.5] Character Specific Discussion​

This is where I’ll need the Diddy Forums' help.​

For this section, there will be a list of approaches you can punish, things you can bait, defensive options they do that you can punish (all with Single Naner Lock), and the recommended finishing aerial for each character.

Input is needed and greatly appreciated. I'd like to spark discussion about individual characters and locking this; this serves to get Diddys active in using this tech, to inform Diddys of what characters this is most feasible on and what can be punished, and to overall make Diddys less lazy about seriously learning this tech.

S TIER DISCUSSION IS UP!
Input as much as you can for the following:
Meta Knight
Snake
Wario
Falco
Diddy
King Dedede

Including their approaches, things you can bait, how easy it is to lock them, if they can be infinited, the recommended aerial to finish with, and more.

Bowser:​

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Captain Falcon:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Diddy Kong:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Donkey Kong:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Falco:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Fox:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Game & Watch:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Ganondorf:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Ice Climbers:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Ike:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Jigglypuff:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
King Dedede:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Kirby:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Link:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Lucario

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Lucas

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Luigi

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Mario

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Marth

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Meta Knight

Approaches:

ADHD said:
I've noticed lately against me alot of mks tend to use weird nair combinations that end up in falling into a dair close to your shield. I realized you can possibly use the lag on their dair to set-up the single naner lock out of shield.
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher: Fair
Ness

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Olimar

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Peach

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Pikachu

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Pit:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Pokemon Trainer:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
R.O.B.:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher: Nair
Samus:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Sheik

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Snake

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Sonic

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Toon Link:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Wario:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Wolf:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Yoshi:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Zelda:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:
Zero Suit Samus:

Approaches:
Baiting:
Defensive:
Recommended Finisher:

[1.6]EPIC CHALLENGE 2​

Any Diddy at S.N.E.S. needs to do the single naner lock in a tournament bracket or pools set, or MM.​

I don't believe anyone did this at Genesis D:

Yeah, let's get this done.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Oh man, this is DEFINITELY going in the Kongpendium. I can't wait for this to be complete; I always wanted an in-depth look at this awesome technique. Good ****

Side note: after upgrading to the newest Flash player, Youtube stopped working completely. This happen to anyone else? I'm sad, since I want to see the videos ;.;

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
On the top of my head, no. The only platform that I think is low enough to interrupt this is the Battleship Halberd platform when you're on the ship, but that's a maybe.

It's because you aren't d-throwing your banana at the apex of your jump; you're catching it then, and d-throwing shortly after you jump, so the banana should never land on the platform.

Thanks Inguilt for putting this in the Kongpedium, thanks everyone else for the support :D. How should I go about discussing the character-specific setups? Should I do discussion on the characters that we're discussing matchups of now, should I go along the tier list and just do like a tier per week or something, or should I just not have any structure and let people input whenever?

The former seems logical because we're discussing those matchups anyway, only problem is that matchup discussion may get too slow. I was thinking of doing the second one, since a tier at a time would go at about the right speed. The third one also seems smart since there's nothing really stopping anyone contributing whatever information they want at whatever time, the only problem is that the thread may get somewhat haphazard and not be as active (structure helps discussion of these things a lot more).

I think I might let people contribute information whenever if they have it, but the main focus would be on the 2nd one (so there'd be more information for the things we're doing anyway).

Thoughts?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
It works on every character but Luigi. While it works on the individual Ice Climbers, Popo and Nana, there really isn't a point doing it because it doesn't work on both of them simultaneously.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Luigi's Mansion's platform actually is low enough to catch it, the ones inside the house, and same with YI's platform when it tilts.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Ya'll don't know me, but I might as well start contributing here. (I'll have my Combo vid up in a month or so, so ya'll can see what I'm about.) I'm the mid-west Diddy representer, regularly playing with the likes of Joker (Snake), Blank (Kirby), Razor(MK) and Jlo(Peach). Anyway. My contribution. There are in essence 2 ways to do this technique. One way with down air and the other way with all the other aerials (up+air & bair, find AZ's video on naner lock variations). The dair version is faster and requires strict timing. The other versions are slower but allow for more horizontal movement (this is obvious cause you aren't fast-falling, as a result you are staying in the air slightly longer). There are some benefits to doing each. The dair version is faster and allows you to get back to the ground where you have more options. It is possible to dair lock then touch the ground and run a little bit before you start it up again. Depending on your movement you can actually literally run (a VERY short distance) on the other side and start the combo in the other direction. The timing for that is strict as hell. The other aerials have their own benefit. I'll focus on up+air (my favorite). It is very natural to move your hand down (to throw) and then up (to catch). This method is very reliable and requires a little less timing. The infinite can also be done by throwing down and then up+air catching while retaining your horizontal momentum. You will land either inside of the tripped character or on the other side. If you are on the other side, simply start it to the other side. If you are inside, you are so close you can jump slightly to the old direction and throw downward to force a trip in the new direction (...it looks funny doing it backwards with Diddy facing the other direction). Land and go the other way. The up+air version even allows you to go back and forth, locking a person in place. A true infinite...no if ands or buts...but it goes without saying...it is dang near impossible to keep it up. Anyway, get to trying it you guys, I have been practicing for a month and I'm still trash at it. Maybe you guys can fill in the gaps. One request, someone NEEDS to post a guide or do some research on tripping animations but from getting hit and slipping on a banana (there seems to be a difference). I'm out, got a tournament to practice for!

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
You can not do the single banana lock with any other aerial.

Are you testing this on a computer CPU set on walk? Any other aerial is too slow for you to lock any of the characters; they'll just roll out. Everything has too much landing lag for you to fast-fall, except auto-cancelled down air.

Dekar173

Justice Man
You can not do the single banana lock with any other aerial.

Are you testing this on a computer CPU set on walk? Any other aerial is too slow for you to lock any of the characters; they'll just roll out. Everything has too much landing lag for you to fast-fall, except auto-cancelled down air.
I think but am not certain, that it's possible on GnW or Pika, since their trip animations are extremely slow ;P

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Dair with the c stick fastfalls for you. but if you press down on the c stick and on the analog, you fall normally.

PortCity

Smash Ace
I should have been more specific. My variations only work when the computer is set to stand. This isn't the end of the world though. Most humans don't get up that fast anyway and therefore it is more than possible to connect with the variation of your choice. As people get better dealing with tripping, then it will nullify a few of the more intricate variations. Spot dodging an attack that is done right next to you is often a good setup to the lock. Someone mentioned punishing rolls, which isn't a bad setup. You can go from double naner lock into single naner lock if you predict how they will get up. That is all i know about setups. I have only gotten off this in a match one time. It was a match of me vs the cpu, i have as of yet gotten this on real folks.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Oh god I suck at this
This is one of the reasons I should stop stickjumping
But I'm too lazy lmao

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Good **** avarice. your vid is the first I've seen where I actually now believe this is a true lock. Because of you I will likely now be able to (finally) learn this technique.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Thanks everyone.

I set the CPU to a level 9 computer and put it on walk, and the timing didn't seem different (I wasn't messing up any notably more). Just buffer your jumps ( it seems like) or jump immediately, and it should be fine.

Talking with Count yesterday, I think I've decided to do the discussion along tiers, discussing a tier at a time (and also in the individual matchup threads).

I'm really excited because I was able to do this in an actual match against my brother; granted, he isn't that great, but he isn't terrible and his Marth is getting much better. I went for it like 4 times but messed up three times. One time when he did a Dancing Blade (sideB combo) on my shield, I punished the ending lag with a naner lock, but I was near the ledge (on SV) so I only could do it twice (and messed up the fair), so it wasn't too much of a lock. I also tried to do it when he whiffed an upB and landed with a bair, but messed up those times.

Rofl Teneban, get used to using those Y or X buttons to short hop, this is stupidly hard if you're using the joystick. Granted it's possible, but the timing from when you go to Y or X to c-stick down is pretty reliable.

Bellioes, I wouldn't mind if you added this guide to the general Diddy guide.

AZ, if I ever go to a tourney and you're there, one-handed melee MM (or Brawl) let's do it. I saw your old guides from like 2004 and I started...well kind of...trying one handed in Melee. Woo dash dancing with your pinky >_>.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Thanks again.

Couple notes:

-I need to stop being lazy and actually figure out who can be infinited and who can't. I've only gotten the turning lock to work on Lucario and Sonic (although that's probably on account of my laziness). I'm almost certain that shorter trip animations (like Wario and Jigglypuff) can also be infinited, but I have a semi-hunch that medium trip animations and long trip animations can be infinited as well.

-I'm trying to work on this: buffering a dash and jumping before my next dthrow. I'm not sure if it keeps the lock--it's insanely hard to do--but if it does, then it could make more characters infinitable.

-I don't hold down as I do the lock. When I do the lock, I slightly hold my control stick (or analog stick, or joystick, or whatever) to the direction I'm locking in, then when I reach the apex of my jump I turn it downwards and fast-fall at the quickest possible moment. I've tried doing the lock without turning the stick down, and not only does it feel odd, but it seems that I have to do it a split-second later, because when I do it with my regular timing the dair doesn't fast-fall.

-I can do the lock consistently now. Like, actually consistently. Yay (okay, maybe like 90%). It feels much easier now, but the infinite is still hard as crap.

-I'm going to start character specific discussion sometime soon, probably tomorrow.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Could you do the instant banana throw downwards into the banana lock? I do the instant banana throw on BF a lot because I place bananas on the short platforms.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
My progress so far :);
small chars. (Pika): 5 times
medium chars. (Lucario): 4 times
tall chaars (DDD): 4 times

/trying to start a new trend lol

Anyways, Ive really been practicing and Im getting better.
I actually need to practice holding slightly right when going right cause I still cant get more than 2 :(

But I have a couple of questions;

When you do the lock on the taller characters, do you throw the banana near the top of your jump or closer to the beginning because I cant recatch if I throw it too early and it feels slow if I do it at the apex.

Also, for some characters, do you have the problem of hitting a character in a certain spot for the beginning of the lock? For example, if I dont hit D3s shoulder (when hes facing right and Im going left), then the banana bounces up to fast cause of how tall he is and I cant reacatch it.

Anf finally, when do you fast fall? When I do the lock, I hit cstick down the first immediately after the SH and I hit it the second time just before th apex. This means that I FF immediately after/at the same time that I hit cstick down the second time. Is this right? Is there a more efficient method cause I sometimes hit FF too late cause it doesnt feel right hitting cstick down and the control stick down at the same time so I delay it a llittle and then I mess up the lock.

Thanks and keep posting those little tips. They really are helping me :)

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
@ Bellioes

1. I throw it closer to the beginning; if you throw it too late, it might not be possible to recatch it. It's not RIGHT as you jump, but it's close to it.

2. Yeah, you can't hit his head straight on, otherwise it's much harder since he's too tall. Generally (this is something I forgot to say) even though some characters start at a certain height, when they trip the timing is usually more universal. Peach is a medium sized character, but when you trip her, she lays down and has a short-to-the-ground hitbox like MK or Pikachu would.

3. Generally, you should be fast-falling as you down-throw. I don't hold down control stick as I hit down c-stick; if you do that, you won't fast-fall. I just turn down the control stick right as I reach the apex of my jump so I fast-fall at the soonest possible moment. It's awkward for me to FF a different way, although that may be because I practice it the way I do anyway.

I'm not sure if dashing before you jump can work to get around characters with larger hitboxes (unless they have a long trip animation). You might be able to dash towards the character if you trip them inside of you to continue the infinite, though.

Bleeh...I'll get discussion up soon.

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
Been working on this after videos and guide, making good progress. Only takes 15-30 mins to pick up the X-Cstick-Cstick and re-jumping. But the fine art is getting it frame tight :). It is difficult to link each Throw->Catch to the next when you first start.

I recommend starting on small characters.

Hi To everyone by the way! New to these forums.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
wasup rrh and welcome to teh diddy boards man.

my progress:
did it to a peach in a moneymatch on finald 5x in a row, on the 6th i missed the timing of the dair and actually dair'd him towards the ground, he techd, i ff same time and dsmash for kill. it was well worth that deserved 1$ =3

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Welcome to the boards, =P.

Yeah, it seems easier on small characters.

Also, good **** DFEAR. I love how we can mess up the lock and it still works well. <3 Diddy.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
ive been noticing that u can do an infinite to every character (except the obvious ones like luigi). depending on the distance u are away from an opponents side, like if u throw it slightly to the left of snake he will bounce/trip farther right than if u would have thrown it on him straight down.

ill do more testing and perhaps have a vid of it hopefully.

this possibly could bring new ways of techchasing or good setups for locks and such.

Top Bottom