• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* Single Naner Lock Guide!

TreK

Is "that guy"
I still can't do it =(
I suck for being proud to stickjump. That fails.

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
I think infinite Naner locks would be possibly on all characters also (not Luigi), as when I VERY first started at this i consistently jumped over the opponent while D-throw>catch. I believe If you kept jumping from side to side OVER the opponent it would be possible to trap an opponent in a relatively small part of the stage. Eliminating the need to go from one side to the other and back again to do an infinite. Locking an opponent to the edges still has SO many uses though, so they are both good options. (Spike/gimping/edge game....)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
More questions Avarice. Youre other answers were actually very helpful BTW ^_^
After practicing on the taller characters, I realized that I could lock them ONLY if I started when they were already tripped (they walked into a pre placed banana and then I begin with a second inhand banana). But when I tried the regular way, I just couldnt recatch the banana. How do you get the first recatch against the taller characters? Do you hit them in a certain spot like DDD? If so, where do you hit, for example, Marth or Snake?
Any other tips for that first essential trip?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
against snake i aim towards his shoulders or directly above his head. i always try aiming for the most leftest side of a character if im attempting this from the left side of the opponent. and rightest for the opposite. its hard :\.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I usually go for the lowest point possible. The first dthrow timing on characters like Snake who stand tall but fall low is quite different from the dthrows afterwards.

I need to go check the exact timing for when I dthrow taller characters (my brother is Marth and I usually am able to naner lock him at least once a game) sometime soon.

I kinda also want more people testing this/learning this/getting better at this before I start discussion on individual characters.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I actually got it 3 times yesterday against my bros MK. I was so excited and the look on my bros face was priceless ^_^

You know what we should do. A list of points where you could start the lock for each character as well as their difficulty. There could be multiple points for each character with varying difficulty and it would definitely help me out.

EX.

Snake

Facing left:
Back of Foot- Easy
Shoulder- Medium
Top of Head- Very Hard

Facing Right:
Shoulder/Back- medium
Top of Head- Very Hard

What do you think? I could even help with testing this as well as other things if you need the help.

EDIT:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240405
What do you think of the thread? Im pretty sure we can do it with Diddys Dair making it possible to buffer a SH and maybe even a dashing SH. It would really help with SNLing and even maybe allow us to infinite more characters as you already stated.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
That's how you're supposed to buffer a SH, =P. The buffered dashing SH was what I was testing, so far it doesn't look like it's working well but I'm not consistent at it, so I can't really tell.

The infinite is still hard as crap, but I haven't been practicing the lock at all and I'm able to get it consisently against my brother's Marth, usually 1-2 times a game, and I know I'm not taking full advantage of all the situations I could be locking, I'm just like, "(sheilding a dancing blade) oh I can start that now."

Speaking of which, S TIER DISCUSSION IS UP. Let's get this done.

I'm kind of rushing though; I'll update more when I come back from marching band practice.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I've practiced this numerous times and have found much useful. Although I'm not consistent with it yet, I plan on using it more whenever the opportunity arises. I've tried it a few times in actual matches but man itz when u start performing it is where u get nervous and try not to screw up. But I've found you can actually just 'fair' out of it when u feel ur gonna mess up and knock ur opponent off the stage if they have a lot of damage.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I need to update the OP to get rid of Defensive and replace it with difficulty and practicality, because honestly I don't understand wtf Defensive is anyway.

INPUT ON INDIVIDUAL CHARCATERS IS NEEDED AND GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I'll start things off I guess.

MK-Check the OP for ADHD's exact wording, he posted it. When MKs D-air camp or approach, sometimes they come in with weird N-air or D-air combinations that end up with a D-air landing near your shield. I believe if the last hit of F-tilt connects your shield, you have time to start the lock.

It's relatively easy to lock MK and is definitely practical.

Snake-lazy atm, haven't played Snake's recently. Moderately difficult to lock, IMO. It's not difficult as long as you aren't hitting the top of his head with your banana.

Wario-see snake. Easy to lock, short trip animation.

Falco-The one thing I can think of baiting is the laser to DACUS that Falco likes to do when you're at high percent. If you are at high percent, know that if he short-hop lasers you at mid range, a DACUS is most likely coming. I'm not sure how long the stun from a laser is compared to his DACUS (his u-smash standing comes in frame 8, and I'm pretty sure the stun isn't that long); it works because people usually try to approach him after the laser. SHIELD IT LOL. Then punish with single naner lock.

I forget exactly how his reflector works, if it reflects up top and how long it does that. However, (this is just in my mind, haven't really practiced it yet) it seems like you'd be able to possibly jump over a whiffed reflector and punish with the lock, but the jump might be too slow.

Falco is moderate to lock in terms of difficulty (last I checked). I believe he's infinitable, but the infinite is stupid hard as of now. It's definitely worth it though; naner locking in these close matchups like MK and Falco could really help swing the MU in our favor a bit.

Diddy-Lol dittos. If you can even get off a lock with the stray bananas on the stage, props to you.

D3-See Snake and Wario, and I haven't played a D3 recently. It seems somewhat difficult to lock him because of his height.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
when a snakes above you.......... you almost allways see a back air. im going to test it later against Eazyseph and see how well it works. Wish me luck :3

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
@Kong, my main problem is the first hit too with characters like D3 and Bowser, that's why I feel like it's much easier to lock people like MK and Pikachu who have somewhat consistent heights.

If you shield MK's tornado, they don't auto-cancel it, and they don't DI away once they see you shielding and land next to you, you can single naner lock.

Situational, but hey. A shielded F-tilt might be able to be locked too, although I'm not 100% certain on that.

Same with Wario, if he D-smashes or doesn't auto cancel D-air, or maybe F-smashes your shield.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Can't believe I missed this thread. I was testing this stuff all the way back in December, lol.

My info is kinda old, but whatever.

Easiest way to land it on is spotdodgers. Definitely. If you notice your opponents normally spotdodging a whole bunch to avoid getting hit by glidetoss naners then just run up to them and try it. Even if the timing is off because they slipped on the naner after the spotdodge, you can pick it up and start.
Note that all characters except ICs together and Luigi can be dair spiked at the edge, however
some characters need a specific space to slide before you dair them, otherwise they'll be too far if you're too close to the edge. IE. Metaknight.

I found DDD ridiculously easy to continue it on into a dair spike.

also DDDs like to spotdodge.

happytif

Smash Cadet
Could you please upload the videos again? Apparently they were removed!

DOODE

Smash Cadet
I completely agree with how you said to practice 10-15 minutes daily. IDK what it is but I'm always better at any given technique the day after I practice it. While as I'm practicing it it doesn't seem like I'm getting better at all.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree with how you said to practice 10-15 minutes daily. IDK what it is but I'm always better at any given technique the day after I practice it. While as I'm practicing it it doesn't seem like I'm getting better at all.
i think thats because you go on auto pilot mode, your fingers get crampy and you hope that it all goes automatically.

just practice for 15 minutes, do something else for 5 minutes(could even be dribbling, or some other techniques) then go back to the SNL or whatever you were doing

EDIT: in the OP, you should put that the infinite works on GaW too.
also, im on my way to finding an infinite on every character except luigi and IC.
it involves a different method of getting the opponent to trip in the other direction, but im still working on it

T-block

B2B TST
So I finally got around to practising this... I can take Pikachu across FD one way on Walk somewhat consistently. How much harder is it to do on MK? I tried once on MK and I can only rarely get two iterations off.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
So I finally got around to practising this... I can take Pikachu across FD one way on Walk somewhat consistently. How much harder is it to do on MK? I tried once on MK and I can only rarely get two iterations off.
its actually somewhat easy to do on MK, you just have to DI more when you catch the nana with your Dair, that's really the only thing different between characters

also, i cant consistently do the SNL on larger characters :S
i think you have to instantly throw down the banana when you jump, but pick it up at the usual timing, so thats kinda weird if you practiced it on smaller ones first, since the rest of the lock after the initial trip is the same with almost any char

T-block

B2B TST
I see... how much does the length of the trip animation affect this? Is there a list of banana trip animation frames for all the characters somewhere?

Top Bottom