• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup rediscussion: Kirby!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Kirby has suddenly changed from 70-30 to 55-45, so we are here to rediscuss kirby, to make the change clear to the people who are confuzzled.

/discuss

Jon?

Smash Champion
I'm confused on why the matchup got to about even. I play Kirby as much as Falco and I can see it being at least 60-40 in Kirby's favor. Last time I checked Kirby owned spacies.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Last time I checked Kirby owned spacies.
Right, well maybe not too much on Wolf since I find him the hardest out of the three, but Fox and Falco yes. Tilt's are Falco's worst enemy when it come's to Kirby since we can tilt you till 30% or more. To add, when we take Falco's power, we get even better than before since his lasers can be use for gimping Falco's air time when he tries to come back. Best stage to deal with Kirby is of course Jungle Japes, but beware that Kirby does good here to, but not as good as you guys.

Match up ratio: 40/60 Kirby

Edited: Scratch that, Final Destination is your best stage vs Kirby, IMO.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, I would see it moved to about 40/60 myself. Jab cancel to Dthrow to Dair to DACUS hurts us quite a bit... or at least me.

More reasoning later.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I can easily see why this match up is close to even. When falco goes into lazer and side b camping it can be very hard for kirby to get inside. Lots will argue that Kirby's chaingrab is much better than falco's. I actually disagree, I think Falco's CG will get him further than Kirby's will. Falco's jab combo can be really annoying at times too with his decent range. Kirby getting falco's lazers is a good idea lol.

I'll agree with a Kirby 55-45 Falco

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I can easily see why this match up is close to even. When falco goes into lazer and side b camping it can be very hard for kirby to get inside. Lots will argue that Kirby's chaingrab is much better than falco's. I actually disagree, I think Falco's CG will get him further than Kirby's will. Falco's jab combo can be really annoying at times too with his decent range. Kirby getting falco's lazers is a good idea lol.

I'll agree with a Kirby 55-45 Falco

The "chain-grab" that Kirby has isn't even a chain grab. You can get out. It puts Falco in an awkward position, but nothing more. Also, if Kirby doesn't have the percentage lead, then its a TON more work for Kirby to get in than it is for Falco to keep you out due to what Triple R just posted. Kirby is just TOO SLOW to deal with it, especially if the Falco knows where his hurt-box appears during his side-b and makes it so that you aren't anywhere near it. That being said, if Kirby does have the percentage lead, then the Falco has his work cut out for him due to Lasers being totally ineffective. Kirby Lasers are also too good. :)

I'd almost go straight 50-50, personally.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Kirby doesn't have a cg that is more effective than his 'combos', so stop ****ing calling it that.

Kirby out ranges Falco, gimps him easy as hell, and can duck lasers. I'm still stuck with 6/4. Phantasm is over rated. =P

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I'd say 60-40 as well. Utilt leads into itself at low %'s for at least 20, maybe 25% if your DI isn't great (forget if hitting with the front or back works better). As other kirbies have said, it's hard for kirby to get in, but if he does, it's a pain for falco. If we have the lead, we'll just crouch under your lazers and you have to come in. I'm pretty sure kirby can escape the dthrow cg after 1 dthrow by just jumping away+airdodging. Our SHDL is better than yours (and we can do a SHTL if you count the silent lazer as in the air). I suppose PS1 or RC would be our CP.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
It's not that bad of a matchup in my opinion. Definitely not 70:30. I remember the first time we had the discussion, a lot of Falco members thought it was even and then the Kirby's just kept whining so 70:30 got put up. More and more people just saw the number I guess and they were convinced.

But seriously, not that bad. Falco shouldn't be getting gimped that easily. If he is, he's probably recovering wrong (aka phantasming too much). I think it's only 55:45 at worst for Falco, only because Kirby can do his Fthrow > stuff nonsense at low percentages and Kirby's Fsmash kills ridiculously early.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
It's not even, i know that. Kirby has different options in his "chaingrab" to usually get 25-30%, or worse if a mistake is made. Falco's laser game, a key point in his game, is basically removed. Kirby has multiple moves to stop phantasm. Kirby's bair edgeguard and space well, which is hard for falco to deal with in most cases. Kirby can also take an early stock if falco recovers low with dair. Kirby destroys us with lasers.

Falco has chaingrab and can spike a bad placed up B. Other than that falco has to use his average everything and bad finishers to go head to head with kirby.

I say 60-40 if the kirby can space.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
what the-- so many people saying even?? What is this I don't even

It's 60:40 Kirby's, minimum.

Our bair breaks all of your attacks except the laser, and its also our most used move. It can be used to space, zone, damage, kill, setup for grabs, WoP, gimp, and has high priority. Our grabs' pummels refresh it, so you guys have to deal with fresh bairs lots of times during the same match. Seriously, underestimating spaced bairs is a mistake, even MKs have trouble getting around them, and we can chain bair>bair if we do a fastfalled one with a rising one.

Our grabgame is amazing. Dthrow sets up for many things including utilt chaining>bair, fthrow chains into uair>reverse utilt>bair almost 100% effectively (and of course, fthrow>uair>fthrow>uair), bthrow sets up for edgeguards, and uthrow can kill at very high percents if you're playing a very defensive game and we haven't killed you by 170%+... Now, the one thing that makes Kirby's grab so great, is his standing grab range, which is quite deceptive, it being able to grab you at a distance you wouldn't even expect it to. Our pummels have good IASA frames which help us refresh our attack queue, so we grab, mash A as much as your % lets us, then finish with a throw (usually dthrow for the 11-12%).

Kirby can gimp Falco also fairly easily. Falco can return on-stage with either sideB or upB, both of which kirby has great moves to use against him. For sideB, kirby just bairs him out of it, and continues the chain until either you're gimped, or you return on-stage (I admit that it's sometimes difficult to predict, seeing as you can do it from any height), or if we predict you'll sideB the edge, the extra distance you fall and the startup frames of your sideB gives us enough tume to edgehog. UpB from below, kirby can dair you out of it, which in turn damages Kirby but spikes you... So Kirby can keep dairing you if he sees you're charging another upB, or he can just dair you once then edgehog.

Kirby's kirbicide will be hard to pull off in this match, but it's still worth mentioning. We can inhale>footstool you guys, which gives us another dair>footstool in case you survive, seeing as Falco's only options when very low are jumping and upB, it's not hard predicting what you will do.

On-stage fighting, kirby can be a pain to Falco, but Falco can still pull off his usual nasty tricks. His CG can be pulled off on Kirby (if Kirby DIs to falco's head and mashes jump, he can get out of it at like 20-25%, I've done it against walking CGs as well as dashing), your gatling combo works extra-well since we're light and can die faster than other characters, and your laser camping is still a pain (even if we can duck it, we're forced to approach if you're ahead). And yes, laser spamming then sideB'ing away when we get close might me intensely annoying and hard to break, but our bair is so good that we can just sandbag the first 2-3 phantasms, then predict your next ones with a bair if you keep up the same game... That's the problem with spamming one strategy over and over, especially with an attack that can be broken by kirby's bair.

Falco's air game is still good, mind you! His bair can kill, his uair can kill, his nair can combo thanks to its auto-cancelling properties, and dair can spike/chain into something else if landed without lag (fair is OK I guess). This, coupled with our light weight, could mean easy aerial KOs for you guys. Your fsmash also has extremely deceptive range, so if you start charging one and we attempt anything other than shielding the whole thing, we'll eat one no problem, and most probably KO us. Your downB can be great for spacing, but used too much could make it predictable, so space sparingly. No matter what other people say, you can pull off some nice kills against Kirby, and have no problems landing a KO move if we make a wrong move and you can punish it.

On a side note... Kirby has the ability to aircamp, and he can actually fight offstage, something falco should think twice about doing. AND Kirby shouldn't have a problem inhaling Falco, as he has no disjoints other than his fsmash AFAIK, earning us lasers, which can be used against you limiting your options even more.

Stages we may take Falcos? Battlefield or stages that aren't flat (or Jungle Japes... We may like the stage, but giving you a huge advantage at the same time is not a smart idea), so your laser camping can't interfere with our aerial games.

Stages to take Kirby? Jungle Japes or flat stages where we're forced to approach while you SHDL and gain frame advantage... That could be catastrophical if the Falco knows the Kirby matchup.

60:40 Kirby's, minimum.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Hmm... Now that I think about it. Kirby can't really do much against a camping Falco. It's either crouch to avoid lasers, resulting in no approach; or try to approach Falco and most likely get punished. Although if Kirby gets Falco's power, it's a completely new game.

I remember when I first picking up Falco, I remember my friends tell me Kirby was almost a hard counter. That why I picked up Kirby as a side character. That way I know the ins and outs of the characters I have bad matchups with.

I also thought it was bad cause of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaf0M6gaeI
Note that the Falco did many play mistakes, but I did get some laughs from watching this video.

Conclusion 60:40 Kirby, Maximum

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Conclusion 60:40 Kirby, Maximum
Kirby can do a couple of things to a laser-spamming Falco, and a laser-spamming Falco is harder than a normal Falco... But it doesn't limit Kirby as much as I think you're implying. Anyone could powershield the lasers and either keep the shield up if the falco does a downB, bair if the falco sideB's, or dodge if the falco tries to grab thanks to frame advantage on laser hitstun. A spammy falco can be easier to maneuver thanks to the simplicity of the strategy, SHDL>grab/sideB/downB are usually the approaches for campers... A few sandbagging seconds can show you what a camping falco will do at low, moderate and high % (quick usmash)... So, this can be handled by either leaving your shield pressed after you get close enough (so he hits your shield with whatever attack he chooses), or spotdodging the grab (if your % is low enough they will try to get in a fast attack, and what's faster and less-punishable than a grab?).

I still believe it's
60:40 Kirby's MINIMUM. I've played like 4 different falcos, them all being different and me having to adjust to differing situations and not the same strategy over and over, from camping, to rushing, to in-between... And in the end, it feels like an easy fight whenever I use Kirby, and a HELL of a match for me when I use ZSS (proving that they know how to use Falco, I can only beat them with Kirby, and the difference in difficulty is visible).

I play both ZSS and Kirby, but I can't really say that Kirby has an advantage on ZSS because of my knowledge on both the characters, unless I've actually had in-game fights with other mainers who prove that they're decent enough to be considered MU experience. Have you fought a good falco while using Kirby? How about a good Kirby while using falco? Either one's fine, you still feel the MU's winning side in a match... And I know that Kirby's fast attacks can be a pain to Falco, especially considering his comboability and lack of "GTFO" moves if we're inside and stringing hits, it being off-stage (most of the time) or in-stage.

And I'm not putting down Falco, he's a very, VERY solid character... But when there's another character that has faster attacks that can kill (all smashes especially fsmash) as well as space and combo (bair is the answer to almost everything!), as well as having the experience against different mains (meaning different decision-making and strategies), you can't help but feel that it seriously points to a bad experience for Falco. And Kirby delivers that.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I understand your reasoning and logic, Kewkky. I probably lack the experience in the Falco vs. Kirby despite me maining both characters. No one else in my area plays a good Falco or Kirby. I can't play myself, now can't I? lol.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
All Falco has to do is gain a percentage lead and camp kirby.
All Kirby needs to do is gain a percentage lead and not get camped by falco.

If Kirby's in the lead, we'll just duck under your lazers. Then you have to come approach us, and we **** you. If you're in the lead, it's a bit of a problem though, but we can still get to you and start ****** you.

60:40 Kirby, minimum.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

How is Falco going to camp Kirby if Kirby can dodge his lasers? He's not exactly a big character and he has one of the best crouch in the game. Only way you can camp Kirby to death is if you pick the right stage for it like Jungle Japes or Final Destination.

Edtied: A1 said it before me, lol. Ignore if you please.

kismet2

Smash Ace
All Kirby needs to do is gain a percentage lead and not get camped by falco.

If Kirby's in the lead, we'll just duck under your lazers. Then you have to come approach us, and we **** you. If you're in the lead, it's a bit of a problem though, but we can still get to you and start ****** you.

60:40 Kirby, minimum.
Lol really? There's no way that Kirby can **** Falco. All he has is that Fthrow>Uair and we can just SDI away from the Uair. Btw Falco has a great AAA jab.

How is Falco going to camp Kirby if Kirby can dodge his lasers? He's not exactly a big character and he has one of the best crouch in the game. Only way you can camp Kirby to death is if you pick the right stage for it like Jungle Japes or Final Destination.
Or any large stage. Btw Falco has a phantasm that you can't duck so yeah. I don't see the point in debating the matchup when the tournament I went to yesterday was filled with Kirbies and that's all I had to do was gain the lead and camp. Kirby has to approach which comes down to chasing Falco and Kirby has practically no mobility.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I should note that the idea of Kirby '******' Falco is not happening, Kirby has amazing priority and range on that Bair but his mobility compared to Falco's do not allow him to just rush the **** out of him.

7/3 is a dumb ratio, I'm more inclined to go 6/4 but 55/45 or even just 5/5 is perfectly reasonable.

kismet2

Smash Ace
I should note that the idea of Kirby '******' Falco is not happening, Kirby has amazing priority and range on that Bair but his mobility compared to Falco's do not allow him to just rush the **** out of him.

7/3 is a dumb ratio, I'm more inclined to go 6/4 but 55/45 or even just 5/5 is perfectly reasonable.
I would definitely say it's 55/45 or 5/5.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Yeah, all Fox has to do against Pika is get the lead and camp.

Oh wait, how can he get the lead ? :o !

It's pretty hard to get the lead with Falco against Kirby, Bair spacing being really good. You can't grab, you can't jab, you can't shield... All you can do is maybe Bair, or camp.
The problem is that IAP can be beaten by Bair aswell.

All the Kirby has to do is Bair spacing. The best option for Falco is to camp with lasers and IAP, but Kirby can still approach from the airs and try to beat that tactic with Bair and FSmash.

Not to mention that getting the lead against Kirby is hard in the first place : While you can't chaingrab him, jab him (etc), he can do a 20% on Falco from a grab / Utilt.

Also, when Falco is at high %, he can be killed easily enough with a Fsmash / Bair / Edgeguard, while killing Kirby is an other story. First, you have to approach, and then, you have to hit with a USmash or Bair (the two best kill moves in the match-up), or with FSmash if you like to take risks.

Not to mention that if Kirby gets the lead, he can easily aircamp us.

Anyways, I still see an advantage for Kirby in this match-up (I'm not talking about Kirby running into Jab combo or Grabs), 60:40, but I should probably study more how strong a campy Falco can be in this match-up.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Or any large stage. Btw Falco has a phantasm that you can't duck so yeah. I don't see the point in debating the matchup when the tournament I went to yesterday was filled with Kirbies and that's all I had to do was gain the lead and camp. Kirby has to approach which comes down to chasing Falco and Kirby has practically no mobility.
Most large stages are ban any ways, lol. Strange, I wonder why they couldn't attack you when they could just fly high or just perfect shield all your lasers while running if you just camp them all day. I guess those Kirby mains don't know how to deal with campers I suppose, also it is a point to debate when someone has a different option than yours, I have great amount on Falco fighting, and you went to a tourney full of Kirby mains. I clam that they don't know how to fight Falco, or you just good with fighting Kirby with Falco, but that's my option.

As long as we don't get his power and send him off the stage and laser gimp him. Ah, fun times. =P

But yea, it's no where in 70/30, area, only four characters like that in the Kirby charts.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Listen to Kismet because he's right. If Kirby is ducking, he's not moving, so he's definitely putting no pressure on Falco at all just because he can't be hit by lasers. Kirby should duck occasionally, but the goal is to get to Falco. Unfortunately for Kirby, all Falco has to do once Kirby gets up close is Phantasm away and go back to camping.

Kirby can definitely be grabbed thanks to lasers (they will hit eventually) and carefully timed jabs, and though it might not be a guaranteed 50%, Falco can still get Kirby at least to around 40% with two down throws and a dair with the option to follow up if he predicts correctly.

Falco's bair comes out faster than Kirby's and pokes enough to cause trouble for Kirby even if he can get a bair out before him.

To call it even would be pretty accurate.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Yeah, all Fox has to do against Pika is get the lead and camp.

Oh wait, how can he get the lead ? :o !

It's pretty hard to get the lead with Falco against Kirby, Bair spacing being really good. You can't grab, you can't jab, you can't shield... All you can do is maybe Bair, or camp.

All the Kirby has to do is Bair spacing. The best option for Falco is to camp with lasers and IAP, but Kirby can still approach from the airs and try to beat that tactic with Bair and FSmash.

Not to mention that getting the lead against Kirby is hard in the first place : While you can't chaingrab him, jab him (etc), he can do a 20% on Falco from a grab / Utilt.

Also, when Falco is at high %, he can be killed easily enough with a Fsmash / Bair / Edgeguard, while killing Kirby is an other story. First, you have to approach, and then, you have to hit with a USmash or Bair (the two best kill moves in the match-up), or with FSmash if you like to take risks.

Anyways, I still see an advantage for Kirby in this match-up (I'm not talking about Kirby running into Jab combo or Grabs), 60:40, but I should probably study more how strong a campy Falco can be in this match-up.
You're giving Kirby too much credit...

Listen to Kismet because he's right. If Kirby is ducking, he's not moving, so he's definitely putting no pressure on Falco at all just because he can't be hit by lasers. Kirby should duck occasionally, but the goal is to get to Falco. Unfortunately for Kirby, all Falco has to do once Kirby gets up close is Phantasm away and go back to camping.

Kirby can definitely be grabbed thanks to lasers (they will hit eventually) and carefully timed jabs, and though it might not be a guaranteed 50%, Falco can still get Kirby at least to around 40% with two down throws and a dair with the option to follow up if he predicts correctly.

Falco's bair comes out faster than Kirby's and pokes enough to cause trouble for Kirby even if he can get a bair out before him.

<3 By the way you're too George.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
It should be noted Kirby's ground game is pretty fast and that d tilt is notorious for tripping and can lead to a f smash. Also, Dair can lead to a f smash if it ends with you in front of him.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Most players who get hit by Dair will DI away from Kirby. It's not a guaranteed Fsmash. Even tripping doesn't lead to a kill. Sometimes I will Dair into a trip and Fsmash. The Fsmash would hit but it would be a sour spot and hit them straight up instead of horizontally across the screen.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, I just got back from a tourny today with a pretty good Falco (and sadly one of the few in the MW), so I have stuff to say now that I understand the matchup a bit better, but first, I want to comment on what was already said.

How exactly does he camp Kirby?

Lol really? There's no way that Kirby can **** Falco. All he has is that Fthrow>Uair and we can just SDI away from the Uair. Btw Falco has a great AAA jab.

Yeah, Gonzo combo is overrated. Every character can DI out of it. That being said, if that's all you see that Kirby has over Falco, you're not playing very good Kirbies. BTW, we can DI towards you and Uair you of your AAA jab. Single jab cancel to grab, however, is harder to punish.

You do realize you can shield from a duck? Not to mention there are a number of ways to punish phantasm. If all you're doing is laser/phantasm, not only is Kirby's % probably not increasing at all, but we can also punish you for it with some of our stronger moves (like Bair and Fsmash. Depending on the spacing, inhale too, but there's no reason to try to get you with that since it usually won't work.)

Meh, the Falco I was playing would SH laser if I was trying to space Bair or aircamp near the ground (since our bad aerial mobility forces us to either get hit, attempt to jump over it (which can be impossible if the Falco is close enough), or airdodge. If Falco is close enough, all of these are punishable, and if we get hit with the laser, you can jab cancel to grab out of it. Out of that, depending on DI, you can get a Dair and out of that possibly a DACUS if we don't tech it the right way.
Stuff like that does allow you to rack up damage, though it is much easier for Kirby to do so in general.

You can do a lot more than 20% if you do it right. In fact, if you follow DI correctly and (I don't know how else to describe this) Utilt walk (Which is essentially buffering a small step in one direction followed by a Utilt. You can do this with crouch too, allowing us to approach and duck lasers), you can get pretty close to 40% or more from that alone. Now add in the Fthrow combos, which I know you can escape out of, and Dthrow combos/follow-ups, some of which you can escape out of, and you shouldn't be starting the stock at low percent. Then we have a bunch of other damage racking strings, all of which work better against you since you're heavy.

Dsmash, Usmash, and hammer (well, stone as well, but good luck hitting that against Falco.) are all good killers as well. When it comes to kill moves, we have quite a few. If they don't outright kill, we have our gimping game, which is really good.

For aircamping, it kind of depends on the stage. Sadly, our aerial mobility keeps us from being as effective of air campers as Wario or Puff, though we're not bad at it either.

Again, you can crouchwalk to him, and Bair beats phantasm, as does Fsmash, Usmash I think, and inhale sometimes.

Very true.

Not that it matters much, but are you sure Falco's Bair is faster? In any case, it and Dair are Falco's only 2 really useful aerials in thismatchup, though Nair CAN be decent in some situations.

I personally don't think those arguements make it even at all, but meh, I don't really care about the numbers.

It should be noted Kirby's ground game is pretty fast and that d tilt is notorious for tripping and can lead to a f smash. Also, Dair can lead to a f smash if it ends with you in front of him.
The Fsmash is nowhere near guaranteed. In fact, your more likely to hit with a hyphen smash when they roll away from you than with a Fsmash (More people need to start doing this and actually try to tech-chase their opponents from a trip. If you just try to Fsmash out of it, yeah, it'll work occasionally, but most of the time, they get a safe roll away. Punish that roll, and they don't know what to do anymore.).

Another point in Falco's favor IMO is his Fsmash and jab. Those things are ridiculously disjoincted, and his Fsmash beats out all our moves and can be hard to punish in some cases (Maybe he had a sword in the beta and they forgot to remove the sword hitbox when they took it out...? :laugh:). His jab cancels into a lot as well, most notably a grab, which allows for follow-ups, but also tilts, Dsmash, reflector, or another jab.

Also, if we're not careful when recovering, we will get spiked.

One big problem Falco has in this matchup though IMO, other than the reduced effectiveness of his lasers, is his lacking of killpower, especially since Usmash and Bair are rarely ever fresh in this matchup (not that they're the best kill moves, but they are the most likely to hit.), which can lead to us living to some pretty ridiculous percents, whereas our puffball is stacked with kill moves and gimping options.

All in all, I personally think we have the advantage, though it's nowhere near as big as what people once thought.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Crouchwalk is overrated.

You'll never be able to Forward or Up Smash a Phantasm on reaction. You'd have to predict it. When Falco is recovering, it's definitely possible, but when he's creating pressure with lasers, good luck even being able to react quickly enough to bair a Phantasm you don't see coming.

As long as Falco can hit with lasers occasionally, he will keep his moves fresh enough to kill you around 100-120%.

You should play Kismet before you pass judgment on this matchup.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I decided to jump in here, and your post was the biggest and best constructed. Sorry if I am misunderstanding you, fromundaman.

Lasers. Lots of them. No seriously though. Falco doesn't have to keep a consistent barrage coming at you ready for you to powershield. He also doesn't have to use SHL or SHDL to shoot them. I noticed kewkky say earlier that you can take to the air to avoid. No, you can't. If the Falco is a good shot at all, he can hit you as long as there isn't a wall between you. And look at that! You now have to approach because you are now down in percentage. I noticed what you said later in your post, fromundaman, so I'll address it later.

Yeah, Gonzo combo is overrated. Every character can DI out of it. That being said, if that's all you see that Kirby has over Falco, you're not playing very good Kirbies.
Yup. Still, when Kirby has to approach the entire time, its not as if Falco has to care. If you are both at 0%, Falco doesn't have to approach because he can pressure Kirby, not the other way around. Kirby HAS to have the percentage lead for it to matter.

BTW, we can DI towards you and Uair you of your AAA jab. Single jab cancel to grab, however, is harder to punish.
That is why not to do the jab combo. Single jab comes out on frame 2, though. It beats Kirby's shield. :( On a side note, most of Falco's ground moves are on par with Kirbys frame wise, so Kirby needs to space properly for most of them to be any use. That said, we are back to laser problems.

You do realize you can shield from a duck? Not to mention there are a number of ways to punish phantasm. If all you're doing is laser/phantasm, not only is Kirby's % probably not increasing at all, but we can also punish you for it with some of our stronger moves (like Bair and Fsmash. Depending on the spacing, inhale too, but there's no reason to try to get you with that since it usually won't work.)
OK, here we go. For any of those moves to work in punishing the phantasm, you need to hit Falco's hurt-box. This is the kicker. It doesn't exist except in three places during the entire phantasm (IF it is a full phantasm), and only for 1 frame each when they do appear. This puts a heavy burden on Kirby if the Falco player is aware of where those hurt-boxes are. It means s/he can work around it by varying when s/he would normally phantasm, AKA mix it up and keep the hurt-boxes away from Kirby's reach. I don't know how fast the ground and air versions of phantasms are frame wise, but they are a pain to deal with on reaction, and reacting is basically what Kirby has to do for it to work. If the Falco is following a distinct followable pattern, they are doing it wrong and don't know the MU.

Meh, the Falco I was playing would SH laser if I was trying to space Bair or aircamp near the ground (since our bad aerial mobility forces us to either get hit, attempt to jump over it (which can be impossible if the Falco is close enough), or airdodge. If Falco is close enough, all of these are punishable, and if we get hit with the laser, you can jab cancel to grab out of it. Out of that, depending on DI, you can get a Dair and out of that possibly a DACUS if we don't tech it the right way.
Stuff like that does allow you to rack up damage, though it is much easier for Kirby to do so in general.
All of this is correct. But keep in mind that Kirby has to have the percentage lead for anything that he does to be nearly as effective as it can be.

You can do a lot more than 20% if you do it right. In fact, if you follow DI correctly and (I don't know how else to describe this) Utilt walk (Which is essentially buffering a small step in one direction followed by a Utilt. You can do this with crouch too, allowing us to approach and duck lasers), you can get pretty close to 40% or more from that alone. Now add in the Fthrow combos, which I know you can escape out of, and Dthrow combos/follow-ups, some of which you can escape out of, and you shouldn't be starting the stock at low percent. Then we have a bunch of other damage racking strings, all of which work better against you since you're heavy.
DI doesn't need to be predictable, and Falco shouldn't be in the position for it to happen. I think this is as good as any place to mention this. Falcos lasers limit Kirby to predictable patterns (again, this is only if Falco is tied/has the lead). Kirby can power-shield and approach all he wants, but his approach is 1 dimensional and predictable. Falco can get away if he is paying attention. Phantasm is used most often near the ground due to it's ability to "combo" (I haven't checked if its a true combo or not) from SHSL, but can still be used from other altitudes with similar results, especially if it is canceled for a long phantasm. Positions reset, and we are back to square one. This is less effective on stages without a decent sized central platform, though, and I'll get into stage stuff a bit later in this post.

Dsmash, Usmash, and hammer (well, stone as well, but good luck hitting that against Falco.) are all good killers as well. When it comes to kill moves, we have quite a few. If they don't outright kill, we have our gimping game, which is really good.
Falco's recovery is not nearly as good as say Fox's (in reference to the spacies, not to the rest of the cast), but it can still be good if the Falco player is aware of the aforementioned hurt-boxes in their phantasm. Varry the hight, distance, etc, and take into account that the opponent can get spiked out of it, and you have at least an average recovery considering the other weaknesses of it. Whats more is that it is slightly more resistant to Kirby's style of offstage gimping.

As to the types of kill moves that fromundaman has made mention of, its all correct. I just don't see how the gimp game is nearly as effective.

For aircamping, it kind of depends on the stage. Sadly, our aerial mobility keeps us from being as effective of air campers as Wario or Puff, though we're not bad at it either.
I'll make my mention of stages here. The bear with this MU is the fact that Falco can camp on all of the neutral stages (save for in regions that allow places like PS1 and Castle Siege as neutrals). This limits the stages that Kirby has the clear advantage on to CPs, which can in turn be limited even more by stage bans. On the stages that allow Kirby to approach in general due to Falco's camping game being limited (such as Brinstar) however, Kirby has the clear advantage due to being able to out-space and damage rack, much like my fellow Kirby's have been stating.

Not that it matters much, but are you sure Falco's Bair is faster? In any case, it and Dair are Falco's only 2 really useful aerials in thismatchup, though Nair CAN be decent in some situations.

Were exactly IS the Falco frame data? I didn't find it using the forum search feature (I'm not the best at using it, though XD), though I have been able to find bits and pieces of it here and there.

One big problem Falco has in this matchup though IMO, other than the reduced effectiveness of his lasers, is his lacking of killpower, especially since Usmash and Bair are rarely ever fresh in this matchup (not that they're the best kill moves, but they are the most likely to hit.), which can lead to us living to some pretty ridiculous percents, whereas our puffball is stacked with kill moves and gimping options.
A patient Falco is a golden Falco in this MU. The lack of killing power won't matter as long as Falco is avoiding taking damage. I still disagree with the idea that Kirby has gimping options in this MU if the Falco has proper DI.

All in all, I personally think we have the advantage, though it's nowhere near as big as what people once thought.
I respectfully disagree. In the grand scheme of a match, its even.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Crouchwalk is overrated.

You'll never be able to Forward or Up Smash a Phantasm on reaction. You'd have to predict it. When Falco is recovering, it's definitely possible, but when he's creating pressure with lasers, good luck even being able to react quickly enough to bair a Phantasm you don't see coming.

As long as Falco can hit with lasers occasionally, he will keep his moves fresh enough to kill you around 100-120%.

You should play Kismet before you pass judgment on this matchup.
It is indeed overrated... except in this matchup. Don't get me wrong, it won't help in any combat function or anything. It's sole usage is to close the gap without taking damage.

I know. I was just listing the things I KNOW can beat it. That being said, Bairing a phantasm on reaction is not that hard, and if the Falco is being predictable and doing just lasers to run away and phantasm lasers some more, which you guys seem to imply is unpunishable, a Usmash is actually not that hard to hit with (especially since it's hitbox stays out a while, so if you do it early, you can both end up just trading hits (he gets the weak part, so he doesn't go very far), which allows you to start racking up damage.

Ummm... it takes 9 moves to refresh something completely. Most I've ever gotten hit with lasers in a row was 3 in this matchup.

Sure thing. I'm sure the entire Kirby board will have no problem traveling to wherever you are and fighting the one Falco you've played, considering there are no other good Falcos anywhere else to base this matchup on.

Now, TG:

I decided to jump in here, and your post was the biggest and best constructed. Sorry if I am misunderstanding you, fromundaman.

Lasers. Lots of them. No seriously though. Falco doesn't have to keep a consistent barrage coming at you ready for you to powershield. He also doesn't have to use SHL or SHDL to shoot them. I noticed kewkky say earlier that you can take to the air to avoid. No, you can't. If the Falco is a good shot at all, he can hit you as long as there isn't a wall between you. And look at that! You now have to approach because you are now down in percentage. I noticed what you said later in your post, fromundaman, so I'll address it later.
You know he fires slower when he does them on the ground, meaning that while there's more of them at 'Kirby height', they're easier to PS and crouchwalking still works.

Yeah, Gonzo combo is overrated. Every character can DI out of it. That being said, if that's all you see that Kirby has over Falco, you're not playing very good Kirbies.
Yup. Still, when Kirby has to approach the entire time, its not as if Falco has to care. If you are both at 0%, Falco doesn't have to approach because he can pressure Kirby, not the other way around. Kirby HAS to have the percentage lead for it to matter.
Stereotypically speaking, Falcos seem to approach for the grab. That being said, you are completely right. They don't need to approach and a smart Falco shouldn't be approaching you at that time.

BTW, we can DI towards you and Uair you of your AAA jab. Single jab cancel to grab, however, is harder to punish.
That is why not to do the jab combo. Single jab comes out on frame 2, though. It beats Kirby's shield. :( On a side note, most of Falco's ground moves are on par with Kirbys frame wise, so Kirby needs to space properly for most of them to be any use. That said, we are back to laser problems.
Very true.

OK, here we go. For any of those moves to work in punishing the phantasm, you need to hit Falco's hurt-box. This is the kicker. It doesn't exist except in three places during the entire phantasm (IF it is a full phantasm), and only for 1 frame each when they do appear. This puts a heavy burden on Kirby if the Falco player is aware of where those hurt-boxes are. It means s/he can work around it by varying when s/he would normally phantasm, AKA mix it up and keep the hurt-boxes away from Kirby's reach. I don't know how fast the ground and air versions of phantasms are frame wise, but they are a pain to deal with on reaction, and reacting is basically what Kirby has to do for it to work. If the Falco is following a distinct followable pattern, they are doing it wrong and don't know the MU.
Right, but you know, we can learn where those hurtboxes are too (and they're not that hard to learn), so we too can space ourselves o that if they SH to phantasm, we can punish it. On top of that, if ew aren't in range of a hurtbox, we can always shield and reset the position. That being said, you are usually within Bair range of one of the hurtboxes.

All of this is correct. But keep in mind that Kirby has to have the percentage lead for anything that he does to be nearly as effective as it can be.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. I was talking about combos/strings Falco can do to us.

DI doesn't need to be predictable, and Falco shouldn't be in the position for it to happen. I think this is as good as any place to mention this. Falcos lasers limit Kirby to predictable patterns (again, this is only if Falco is tied/has the lead). Kirby can power-shield and approach all he wants, but his approach is 1 dimensional and predictable. Falco can get away if he is paying attention. Phantasm is used most often near the ground due to it's ability to "combo" (I haven't checked if its a true combo or not) from SHSL, but can still be used from other altitudes with similar results, especially if it is canceled for a long phantasm. Positions reset, and we are back to square one. This is less effective on stages without a decent sized central platform, though, and I'll get into stage stuff a bit later in this post.
Not only do I not agree with your statement, but it doesn't really address what I was talking about, but it also implies that we will never get within attack range of Falco.
DI DOES matter in that scenario, because at that percent they can't jump out after our utilt, and their only options are up and away, or up and towards (well, those are the two that minimize the damage they can take), and if we follow whichever way they are DIing, you do a ****ton of damage.

Also, the options you mention will only consistently work if both players fall into consistently predictable patterns. There are other ways to approach, or baiting approaches, but the powershielding and crouchwalking tend to be the best two, just like Falco's laser to SH phantasm is one of his best counters to these approaches. That being said, if he does it more than once or twice in a row, he will get wrecked. It works the same way for both sides, and indeed for most any character. Get predictable and you get wrecked.

Falco's recovery is not nearly as good as say Fox's (in reference to the spacies, not to the rest of the cast), but it can still be good if the Falco player is aware of the aforementioned hurt-boxes in their phantasm. Varry the hight, distance, etc, and take into account that the opponent can get spiked out of it, and you have at least an average recovery considering the other weaknesses of it. Whats more is that it is slightly more resistant to Kirby's style of offstage gimping.

As to the types of kill moves that fromundaman has made mention of, its all correct. I just don't see how the gimp game is nearly as effective.
Falco has only 2 recovery options, and one is so gimpable that they will never use it unless they have to (which we can force them to do in some situations), which gives them a predictable recovery. It is good at going through many of our gimping options, but it is not ungimpable by any means. Bair, inhale and Fsmash will pretty consistently beat it since they almost always end up hitting one of the hurtboxes thanks to the space their hitboxes take up, not to mention the fact that guessing where they'll land isn't too hard in most cases, and with proper spacing you can Dair where they are vulnerable, though Falco shouldn't get caught up by that too much.
Now if you're beating their recovery close to the ground with Fsmash and SH Bair, that forces them to either grab the ledge with it, which can lead to easy edgehog deaths if your close to the ledge, or forces them to use it up higher, causing them to go in freefall unless there's a platform there, which gets them punished and resets the scenario.

Also, Pummel breaks and Ftilt put them in a bad position and often forces them to recover with UpB, which is so gimpable it's not even funny.

Granted, our gimping game isn't as effective as on some characters, but it still works quite well, and it's definitely better than what Falco can do to us (though that spike can be nasty if we're not careful.).

I'll make my mention of stages here. The bear with this MU is the fact that Falco can camp on all of the neutral stages (save for in regions that allow places like PS1 and Castle Siege as neutrals). This limits the stages that Kirby has the clear advantage on to CPs, which can in turn be limited even more by stage bans. On the stages that allow Kirby to approach in general due to Falco's camping game being limited (such as Brinstar) however, Kirby has the clear advantage due to being able to out-space and damage rack, much like my fellow Kirby's have been stating.
Some of those stages allow us to play gay and air camp when in the lead, but yeah, you're pretty much right.

Speaking of stages though, we are also good on pretty much every stage, including JJ, which is where Falco is supposed to thrive and screw everyone else over, whereas Falco has bad stages/stages where we are vastly better than him (Rainbow Cruise, brinstar, PTAD when legal, FO, etc.).

Were exactly IS the Falco frame data? I didn't find it using the forum search feature (I'm not the best at using it, though XD), though I have been able to find bits and pieces of it here and there.
No idea, but for that matter, where's our frame data? Do we even have anything to compare theirs to?

A patient Falco is a golden Falco in this MU. The lack of killing power won't matter as long as Falco is avoiding taking damage. I still disagree with the idea that Kirby has gimping options in this MU if the Falco has proper DI.
Yeah, but that's just a "Don't get hit/grabbed" thing. Falco will get hit, and most of our hits will lead to combos. He will take damage, and getting the killing blow isn't much harder than against any other campy character.

I respectfully disagree. In the grand scheme of a match, its even.
And so, we shall disagree I guess. In the end, I don't really care too much for the number, but the matchup definitely doesn't feel even. I mean, it's definitely winnable for Falco, no doubt there, but we still have some advantages on him IMO. If I really had to put a number on it, it'd be 60-40, MAYBE 55-45.

wangston

Smash Lord
I think the matchup is really close on neutral stages. On anything other than a neutral stage falco is at a disadvantage. Does kirby have a bad stage?

For me to beat a kirby I have to win the first game or else I will lose at there stupid cp stage on the 3rd game.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Everyone who is saying this match-up is even, or very close to even, are the ones who are correct. The match-up can also be stage dependant, FD is bad for Kirby for instance. If Kirby can ever get lasers Copied, the match-up gets better for him, but Inhale, unfortunately, isn't exactly the easiest thing to get on a campy Falco.

First, I'm surprised that we have another rediscussion when we haven't even redone all the characters yet lol

I find the match-up to be fairly stage dependent. Get Falco on a crappy stage that he does poorly on in the first place and Kirby gets a huge advantage. Maybe something like 65:35 on something like RC. Get him on a Falco friendly stage (FD) and it's easier on Falco; places the match up more around something like 55:45. On other stages become 60:40.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
These last 3 posts do seem correct.

I basically based all my info off of playing BF/SV, since the Falco I was playing switches when I CP.

(Also, Kirby doesn't really have a bad stage, and JJ is one of his better stages. Just go with a stage you feel comfortable with though. I personally think FD would be the best place to take Kirby as Falco.)

Jon?

Smash Champion
I don't think Kirby has a bad stage. Best stage to pick against him would be FD.

I don't think Kirby has a bad stage. Best stage to pick against him would be FD.
People are getting smarter. When JJ is not allowed in the tourney people move over to FD to ban against Falco. So what would be alternatives?

Pictochat or SV I think would be good alternatives. BF... maybe. It's flat, but it has the platform stuff.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
People are getting smarter. When JJ is not allowed in the tourney people move over to FD to ban against Falco. So what would be alternatives?

Pictochat or SV I think would be good alternatives. BF... maybe. It's flat, but it has the platform stuff.
SV or BF maybe, but Pictochat is a great stage for Kirby. One of my standard 3-4 stages I CP as a matter of fact. We have a lot of exploits there, and being able to kill off of the sides really early and combo into hazards is a plus, as well as an awesome edgeguard glitch on the right side.

You're right though. I'd personally ban FD over Japes as a Kirby player.
I seemed to do pretty well vs Falco on BF, but I seem to be one of the rare Kirby players to really like that stage.
What other stages does Falco do well on?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Yea, kirby doesn't really have a bad stage, except maybe halberd (low ceiling, wide sides...kirby KO's to the sides, not up). If they ban FD, the next best one would be SV. YI(B) is a good kirby stage, and bf is...iunno, I have irrational hatred of battlefield, ask someone else lol. Halberd could be a good CP for you.

Edit: Penguin-like birds with flamethrowers can be ninjas?

Top Bottom