• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Smash Community: Please Read.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
On October 10th and 11th I had a two day tournament event. The event was made known to the community on

July 2nd, 2009. That's right; July 2nd, 2009. The community had more than three months to view the event and take action on whether or not the event was worth attending. Before the event I covered that I could house people, the amount of entrants that were interested in attending as the posts pretty much happened and tried to be as up to date as possible, made the plans with Digital Mayhem in Wallingford well in advance, talked with the possible tourney attendants to see what the best choice of events were, and so on and so fourth. Now, judging by the fact that smashers are in school/college, have work, random issues and problems arise in ones life, etc. I can obviously not expect to have the EXACT or even CLOSE TO the number of the entrants projected. I had a total of 60 entrants interested. (Technically it said 66...but there were definitely a few that I was unsure of.)

The Brawl + community argued with me for a good 30-40 posts to keep the event as Brawl + and in fact not put it as Brawl which I was on the fence about. Given the fact that this tournament was called "Long Live Hit Stun" it was pretty clear to me that I would just be backing out of my own idea to change it to Brawl when Brawl literally, has no hit stun or combos. lol.

At the last minute of this event and less than a week away from the event I had roughly 20-30 entrants BACKING OUT. This wasn't a mere "Oh, NY isn't coming....crap." This was a mere "****, my tournament has gone to **** now."

This is exactly why the Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl communities are dying and are frowned upon by other competitive fighting communities. Halo professionals look at us and go "LOL, making a living playing melee. haha" And for what reasons do they do this? It's simple. No one has any dedication, people only go to the "big" tournaments now, and no one simply cares about the fun of the game anymore. It's all about the money. Do we ever see big name players going to be tournaments? No. Sure, after Genesis and ROM 1 we were all like "Yo, melee is back!" That short high lasts for a little while...but then after a little bit....reality kicks in. A prime example would be PC's comeback. He played for a few weeks after ROM and then was like "Oh, its still the same..." and then moved on. Whenever there isnt a big turnout a top player puts a big emo face on and says "awww ****! why did i come to this? I'm not going to make any money!" They don't say it. But I'm sure if you think about it for a second, you know that its really not that much far off of a theory. (I'm not attacking you Chris. You've been playign for years...you just moved on.) The Brawl + community has been practically begging for a chance for the game to come out of its shell and get its chance to shine as being known as a good, solid fighter. I basically said, "Alright Brawl + guys...heres a full day event just for you. Lets see if you guys are dedicated and good enough members of your community to travel and make this thing happen." When I went to DM on Sunday afternoon at 12:30 NO ONE SHOWED UP. Here, let me repeat that again.......NO ONE SHOWED UP. This is exactly why the Brawl + community is looked upon by most of the smashers as a joke game. I personally love it and enjoy it but I do not have any intention of ever running a Brawl + event ever again. It's a game I will play for fun and I will keep it that way. The Melee community on the other hand on day one at least showed up and we had a total of 11 entrants.

So let me quickly give you the stats again:

A tournament which had been in the making since July 2 had only a total of 11 entrtants (including me) over two days.

What can I do about this though? I did all of the things I needed to do as a TO. I promoted it with a sig, i told entrants to tell others, i provided housing, i ran it by DM wayyyy ahead of time, i've run three other tournaments and know how to handle money, (even though people stole from the pot at my second tournament I provided the money for Darc and Jman and manned up as a TO.) and I try to please everyone with an ontree of different events (brawl+ community by giving them a chance to make the game compeittive) and still keep the core game that we should be playing. (melee)

I honestly don't understand the Melee community anymore. People whine and complain about there not being any tournaments blah blah blah but no one is willing to go and hangout with people at the lesser known tournaments. If its not ROM, Pound, Tipped Off, Saffron City, or Mass Madness...it really seems like people could do without it or could care less. Sorry, not every tournament in the world is going to be 50-70 entrants but half of the point of going to a tournament is to see your friends that you have made throughout the years and just hangout. It seems like its all about the money (pot) now and its extremely depressing. When I first came into the community I don't remember a single person ever saying anything along the lines of "Hey, wheres my money?" Maybe its because times are tougher now? That may have something to do with it. I'm sorry to say but this community took a turn for the worst ever since Brawl came into the picture.

The amount of people who backed out the other day is something that I cannot control or do anything about and I know that but where the hell is New England lately? CT is extremely lacking in the smash department and my own state needs to step their game up. I understand people have lives, families, have grown up, etc....but like...you make time for your friends right? Aren't smashers your friends? 11 entrants for a two day tournament and the lack of entrants at SNES is absolutely ****ing disgusting and is a disgrace to the smash community. It's a ****ing stab. The excuses and the amount of crap I had to read through in this thread is just....horrific. I'm not bashing anyone in particular or pointing fingers but I am saying that people need to stop being so spoiled in terms of "well this tournament is closer so.....whatever." or "Well, the pot isn't going to be as big...so f it." Last I checked, a good 90% of us don't play this game to make money but to have a good time.

If you play Smash Brothers for money and not for the fun of the game; quit, because you are destroying this community.

Honestly, just picture yourself in my shoes for a minute. What would you think about the smash community after something like this?

Regardless of the fact that this was an extremely small event it was ****ing awesome because I got to play smash for ten hours and see some really old smashers/friends that I never see. That, and I have a new secondary now and learned how amazing Falco is. (You got to Murt his murt before he murts your murt) <3 lol.

Thanks to all who attended and showed up. I'm sorry the attendance was extremely low but I had a good time.

Below is a semi list of the projcted people to come.

Interested:

Aesir
bolt.
Brookman
Cort?
Cowtipper9487
dabridge
DarkDragoon
Drave316
Drave316's friend
Eggm
Fireblaster
Glick
Ken Y
KevinM
Khanti
Mattdotzeb
MdrnDayMercutio
memphischains
Mokumo
Moon-Doggie
mumble
Nana
noodles416
Orca
Overload
Peachkid
phish it
Prawn
rhan
Roman
Rylix
Sethlon
Shadowball2
Shin
Skip2MaLoo
Skler
Sonicandtails
Sol
Solid Jake
Sox
SuperFudgeChoco
Swiftbass
TeeVee
The Cape
The Irish Mafia
trademark0013
Wave Dash
VanZ
Yes!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Like everyone else is saying, if Brawl+ is looking like a good turnout, I'll try to make it.

May I suggest this for the stage list though? I think most of the Brawl+ players would agree with me:
Neutrals:
Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 2
Wario Ware
Wifi Waiting Room (If you use your stage ban for FD, this stage counts as banned too)

Counterpicks:
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Delfino Plaza
Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion (If this comes up in teams, DO NOT ATTACK RIGHT AWAY. When the match starts, one team moves to the left side, the other to the right, someone counts down from 3, then the match may begin)

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Ummm what? wifi waiting room? Get that crap outta here. That stage is just another FD. The current neutrals he has is fine imo he just needs to add better counterpicks. The counterpicks you have now are borderline neutrals except for Rainbow Cruise...*_*

Anyway I'll try to go to this, if things look good for Brawl+. I recommend a "interested" list like most tournaments have. Without that, there's really no way to gauge the level of interest and hype.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I believe some stages are still in the works for tweaking to make them more viable, so a definite stagelist can wait until the changes occur and the game is "finalized". I would like to see a bit more counterpick stages being used here.

Ummm what? wifi waiting room? Get that crap outta here. That stage is just another FD.
If the Sandbag is reintroduced, the Wifi Waiting room may actually be a distinct but still legit neutral stage.

Cia

das kwl
the fact that BasicBrawl gets skipped in this tournament makes it that much more interesting. (and it makes me lol)

I'll be there for Melee and Brawl+

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
the fact that BasicBrawl gets skipped in this tournament makes it that much more interesting. (and it makes me lol)

I'll be there for Melee and Brawl+
You will never see Brawl as an event at any of my tournaments. Ever.

I will go to a Brawl tournament and play but I will not HOST a Brawl tournament because the idea of taking that game seriously to seed for it makes me laugh. I like to play it because it helps me become more of a patient player.

The only way this event will maybe have Brawl is if it grows to be a huge tournament. Right now, it is not on the schedule.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Make this Brawl instead of +. I don't even know what that is exactly, I assume Brawl with mods? Wave dash and all that nonsense?

noodles

Smash Champion
no wavedashing. but hit stun (combo's!), non gay ledge, bad characters are slightly better. its really dumb till your use to it though. like expect to sd alot XD

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Melee Rules said:
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate two of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
Two each? That's a lot of stages.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
no wavedashing. but hit stun (combo's!), non gay ledge, bad characters are slightly better. its really dumb till your use to it though. like expect to sd alot XD
Lol that's cool I suppose but I'd rather just play regular cause I'm lame :0/

TeeVee

Smash Lord
ill be here for brawl+ and 64 (and melee friendlies too)

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Make this Brawl instead of +. I don't even know what that is exactly, I assume Brawl with mods? Wave dash and all that nonsense?
Sorry, as I wrote earlier...you won't find me hosting Brawl tournaments. I have the most fun playing Brawl +, Melee, and Smash 64. I'm not doing all four smash games because this event (thus far) is not HUGE. If the interest sparks and this event grows to be exciting and a big deal...I may reconsider. By that I don't mean 10-15 Brawl players asking me to do it. It would have to grow to be a really big tournament.

However, I think considering this is one of the first two day Digital Mayhem events for Smash it could spark.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm totally interested. If I am in Japan, maybe I can OutofCountry for this. I'd deff do it if I could get housing for like 5 days. :V

No way Im staying for 2 only xD

Banks

Smash Hero
I'm interested in this, the fact that it is in october makes it almost 100% i'll be there. Can't knock that preparation window lmao.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
OMG GHNEKO, if u come to this, bring Daisy ^_^ get him here somehow lolz

but ill see if i can make this

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
OMG GHNEKO, if u come to this, bring Daisy ^_^ get him here somehow lolz

but ill see if i can make this

Daisy is a scrub. after that whole Final Smash 6 fiasco between me and him, he pretty much quit the scene. No way he'll OOS. Even if he says he will, he'll john out at the last minute. Just like genesis. :V

Overload

Smash Lord
This is pretty far from where I live, but if in 3 months I have a way of getting here I will consider going.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Booo have it at your house!
we'll clean up we swear
By this time I won't be at my house. I'm moving into a condo early September. I could actually have it at my condo because there are plenty of outlets and places to play? There would definitely be a venue fee seeing as I will be paying for electricity and utilities myself.

Top Bottom