• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Rediscussion #3: Martha err i mean Marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Time for our next rediscussion. Another debated matchup. Some ppl think this is even. Some ppl say its slightly TL's advantage. And others (mainly marths) think its their advantage. :/

Discuss.

Pic by TheJerm

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
BengalsRZ said:
My take on the matchup-

Long Range:

TL dominates with projectiles, Marth's only option is to try and close the gap. This is one of TLs two optimal positions in the matchup (I'll talk about the other later) as he is at no risk and can rack up damage or even setup kills. Boomerang and arrows should be easy to PS or swat, bombs are a little tougher to get through. Try not to let the boomerang get behind you, because it can lead to some nasty setups on the way back. Your best bet is to walk > shield everything until you reach Marth's favorite position in this matchup, tipper range.

Advantage- Toon Link

Tipper Range:

This would be the "green zone" that Steel described in the zones thread. At this range; dtilt, fair, jab, nair, and DB are all viable while his only option that doesn't put him in too much danger is zair. While zair does beat out all of Marth's options in terms of range, it isn't difficult to defend against. If he jumps and airdodges, be ready to shield or PS and immediately punish. Zair autocancels, so if he zairs right before landing your best option is a dtilt (or grab if he is close enough). He will either eat the dtilt which you can follow up on, or he will shield it. I think we all know how the dtilt trap works so I won't go into that. If they zair earlier in the jump and you shield it, DB or fair are your best punishers. Another thing about zair, if your opponent tends to zair without airdodging, you can ftilt or jab before the zair comes out. While zair is his safest option, TL can also nair and weave back out. Not totally safe, but it's a great setup if it connects. If TL SH nairs, be ready for an arrow cancel as he lands. If he is grounded, you can SHFair, SHDFair, SHFFFair, dtilt, or use a DB1 mixup. Any of these will work so long as they are well spaced. Most TLs won't attempt to shield grab your fairs, but if they do tend to try it just buffer a roll and punish with usmash. If during any time in this situation he has a bomb in hand you'll need to watch out. TL will undoubtedly try one of two things when Marth has him around tipper range: retreat or get inside Marth's range. If he has a bomb in hand, it's difficult to stop him from getting some space. He will find his first oppurtunity to either jump back and toss it in your face or JC a backwards bomb throw. Try to PS the bomb and get back inside on him, if that doesn't happen you'll have to get through his projectile walls again. If he doesn't have a bomb, he might try a retreating fair, nair, or zair to give him self some space. The first two will probably end with an arrow cancel as he lands so be weary of that. None of those options are fool-proof, any of your anti air moves should take care of it if you react fast enough (jab, nair, etc). He may also try to get inside your sword range instead of retreating, if this is the case you should move back with retreating fairs and do all you can to keep him at bay, because if he gets you at pointblank range, it can be troublesome.

Advantage- Marth

Point Blank Range:
You may have read a thread about "Boxing" by Pierce7d in the Tactical Discussion Forum. If you have, you'd know that one of Marth's weakpoints is fighting at point blank range, this also happens to be one of TL's strongpoints. His bair and utilt can combo extremely well, his jab is great from close range, and to top it off he has the best spot dodge in the game. The good thing is that moves like TL's jab are extremely risky against Marth unless used to punish because his OoS punishing game is so good. However, you may eat a bair/utilt chain if he catches you in the air so try not to expose yourself. You shouldn't find yourself in this situation very often if you are spacing well. And it isn't very difficult to get out either.

Advantage- Toon Link

TL above Marth:

While juggling is usually one of Marth's best options, TL has the tools to make juggling him very difficult. When he is above you, expect him to rain down some bombs on you. If you are on the ground and he is throwing down bombs, there is pretty much nothing you can do. So if you see him plucking out a bomb try going up high after him, if he tries to throw the bomb down at you and you are close enough, you'll both take damage and you can uair immediately out of hitstun without him really being able to do anything about it. You can try and hit the bomb with the tip of your sword as well, if you are successful the explosion won't reach you and only he will take damage, thats a bit difficult to do though so don't rely on it. If you'd rather not risk taking the fight high into the air, you can just defend yourself from the bombs until he lands and continue the fight that way. If you are at a stage with platforms when he is above you, then his options are much more limited. Like at BF for example, if you just wait under the central platform until he gets close you can setup a quick juggle trap. A quick note; TL is extremely floaty, so he is able to stay in the air for much longer than most characters. If you do something stupid like whiff an uair while you are below him, he might dair you. Otherwise dair isn't really a threat, in fact you should try and bait it if possible since it has considerable cooldown.

Advantage- None

Marth above TL:

This is TL's other favorite scenario that I talked about earlier. Being probably Marth's worst situation in general, TL has a field day when Marth is above him. TL, similarly to Marth, struggles with killing, but having Marth above him can lead to quite a few setups that serve as a nice remedy to his killing problems. He can SH and throw a bomb up, if the bomb hits, Marth takes damage and is still in the air. If Marth airdodges the bomb, TL can punish the lag with a powerful uair. He can also throw two bombs in the air to make it even more difficult for Marth to land safely. When you are in this position as Marth, your best option is to make your way to a ledge. Marth isn't great on the ledge either but it's better than being stuck above him.

Advantage- Toon Link

TL Offstage/On Ledge:

When TL is off stage Marth has a lot of oppurtunities to gimp TL or at least deal damage. If he is recovering low enough, you can drop down and counter his up B. Another option when he is recovering low is to grab the ledge and force him onto the stage where you can get a free ledgehop aerial of your choice. If he recovers mid-high, you can go out with a fair, bair, or nair if they like to airdodge. If he pulls out a bomb just get close enough to him that the bomb won't be effective. It is possible to spike him out of his up B, I actually do it pretty often while hanging on the ledge. When he is on the ledge, he can't really get up safely without somehow incorporating his projectiles. He can pull out bombs or throw a boomerang to give himself some time to get up safely. Expect some zair stalling on the ledge, remember that he can regrab the ledge via zair three times before landing on stage. While he is grabbed onto the ledge, you want to stay about a dtilt's length away from the ledge so you have adequate space to punish all of his options without putting yourself in danger.

Advantage- Marth

Marth Offstage/On ledge:

Like usual, always DI up because when you are forced to recover low, your options are extremely limited and easy to read. He can pretty much toss out any projectile at you and they all work well. This is another great oppurtunity for TL to setup traps; if you have to airdodge a projectile he can punish the lag with a nair or fair which will likely kill you. He can also do bomb drops and what not around where he expects you to DS so try to mix it up. You can DS stage spike him if he is reckless so take advantage of an oppurtunity to do so if it shows itself. Make sure your DS has enough height to get you on stage, because he can easily regain invincibility with zair. He gets a free ledgehopped fair if you land onstage with him on the ledge but its better than death. When on the ledge, ledge drop fairs are a great way to clear yourself some room to get on the stage safely. Any of your other options besides ledge jumps (below 100%) may be punished. And even ledgejumps may stick you in a bad situation.
Advantage- Toon Link

Killing:

Both characters share the same fatal flaw, the lack of safe kill moves. As Marth, you'll be trying to force him off stage constantly as that is where your easiest kills will come from. A fresh bair off stage will usually kill quite early depending on the position and he doesn't have many options to combat it. Again, nair off stage is an excellent option against opponents who like to airdodge off stage. On stage, your best kill move is probably dsmash. If you PS something you usually have enough time to connect a dsmash. From TL's standpoint, most kills will come from projectile setups or gimps. Bombs and boomerangs give enough hitstun to let TL deliver a hyphen smash if Marth is close enough. Off stage, as I went over before TL will attempt to setup traps to force you into a situation where you have to eat a fair. I'm not gonna keep mentioning things here that I already mentioned in other sections so I'll just wrap this up here.

Advantage- None

Overall: Even though TL has more seperate advantages, the majority of the match will be with Marth in TL's face but just out of TL's sword range. This is wher Marth thrives the most.

Rating: 55:45 or 60:40 Marth
Posted this a little while back.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I'm going to start this off by saying its 50-50.. even though I wont get much support on that =/

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Dancing blade is annoying. Have a bomb ready and ibomb it -> zair to counter.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I hate this matchup, have 0-clue how to play it but I would say this is our worst matchup at 70-30. I don't use dancing blade with marth...I don't even use marth, but I can still beat tl's with marth...it's as easy as a shield approach and fairing.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Haha, hyro.. just because you cant play the match up doesnt mean its our worse. 70-30 marth is just ********..

And no sasuke.. I just found the picture for him lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I think Bengalz covered the Marth board's feelings pretty well.

Boomerang and Arrows are easy to deal with so long as you beware of the returning Boomerang set-up. Bombs you can SHAD into if you see it coming, you can probably catch it and fall into shield. However, they are a lot more dangerous due to not being swattable.

Long range, the advantage is obviously Toon Link's. We have no projectile, so we have to approach. Fortunately, our fast walk speed and good aerial maneuverability mean that getting inside the projectile spam is not too hard, and as has been mentioned, Zair is the only option that competes at our tipper range.

At tipper range, you have to kind of play an awkward game of keeping TL within Tipper, but not too close that he ends up in your face, or too far that he goes back to camping. Mostly accomplished through d-tilt, DB for punishing, and a well-spaced F-tilt for can help deal with a jump approach.

At" in your face " range, you'll want to try to get back to tipper range. xD

In an horizontal aerial conflict, I'm giving Marth the edge with SHFairs, and SHFF Nairs, they have great range, and an unstaled nair can probably kill Tink around 65% at reasonably close distance (Assuming the opponent is not inhuman at DI).

Vertical aerial is definitely Tink's. When he's above we cannot set-up juggles as easily due to Bomb-rain and Dair, which bounces off counter, and goes through a u-tilt if timed correctly, I believe. When he's below (always bad for Marth), Uair can harass air dodges, and bombs can be thrown straight up to bait them.

In terms of recovery, I'd say it's pretty even. Tink has solid gimping abilities, but I've never found it that hard to get back to the edge against Tink, unless they are very aggressive with Bair, which is risky. Tink's recovery has great distance, but is extremely easy to read and edge hog, and you can even jump into it and counter if you're feeling stylish. Marth also has an easier time edge-guarding, since Tink's Zair is his only aerial that out ranges our options.

Kill power goes to Marth on this one, I think, but not by a huge margin. Save good killers like Nair, U-smash and Bair, and just watch out for the DAC U-smash from Tink, and be wary of projectile set-ups leading into F-smash. An early D-smash gimp is also possible from Tink, make sure you DI correctly.

Overall, I'd say this one is probably Marth's favor. I feel like 60:40 is probably appropriate, most of dealing with Tink is being careful not to get harassed and set up by projectiles, and being wary of an early gimp. Marth will usually last longer than Tink, which gives him the edge.

60:40 or 55:45 Marth's favor.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Link doesn't DAC. He just uses running Usmash.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
Well i hate this matchup like HyRo does, but not as much lol, 60:40 Marth imo.

He ***** us anytime were within his range, and he has ALOT of range. The matchup is mostly smart projectile game and proper spacing. I don't use alot of arrows in this matchup either, they get power shielded, you get fair'd/hit with dancing blade.

I feel like its closer to 65:35...but again i just hate the matchup,lol.

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
When with my buddies, Marth is easily the hardest character I have to deal with (at least out the ones they use) mainly because of his sword's range. I also have a hard time getting back on to the stage at some points, but maybe that's because I suck against Marth with Tink.

Anyways, I don't have a whole page to type about it but my vote goes towards 40:60 in Marth's favor.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I would honestly say 55-45 Marf.
When play this match-up I pretty much stick to Zair and bombs. Arrows and boomerangs very rarely.
That's really all I got...but I don't think it's that bad.

MJG

Smash Hero
Well i hate this matchup like HyRo does, but not as much lol, 60:40 Marth imo.

He ***** us anytime were within his range, and he has ALOT of range. The matchup is mostly smart projectile game and proper spacing. I don't use alot of arrows in this matchup either, they get power shielded, you get fair'd/hit with dancing blade.

I feel like its closer to 65:35...but again i just hate the matchup,lol.
I second your ratio

Its either 60:40 or 55:45 Marth

I usually like to run up to him and shield, wait for an attack and then start bair'ing regardless of which way he is facing me

I really dont have that much experience in this match up considering the only good marths i have played were omega and bengalz and those were on a wifi ladder match

As known by most of the tinks (or should be known) marths fair cancels out our boomerang and arrows which is annoying but meh whatever...

Hyro

Smash Lord
I don't even get how to use arrows boomerangs or zair...I can't get any of these moves out when I play marth. He simply outranges us waaaay too much. It might be easier if he didn't autocancel so well...but he does. :( 60:40 for sure, I'm pushing for 65:35 lolol

gallax

Smash Hero
arrows and bombs can be annoying when playing as marf. sometimes i will wait and airdodge to grab the bombs when thrown at me and throw them back at the TL. projectiles are dependent on what stage you are playing though. my friend will rarely use arrows on stages like castle siege but spam them like crazy with his boomerangs and bombs on FD and smashville.

i would agree at this being 60:40 in favor of marth.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I think Bengalz covered the Marth board's feelings pretty well.

Boomerang and Arrows are easy to deal with so long as you beware of the returning Boomerang set-up. Bombs you can SHAD into if you see it coming, you can probably catch it and fall into shield. However, they are a lot more dangerous due to not being swattable.

Long range, the advantage is obviously Toon Link's. We have no projectile, so we have to approach. Fortunately, our fast walk speed and good aerial maneuverability mean that getting inside the projectile spam is not too hard, and as has been mentioned, Zair is the only option that competes at our tipper range.

At tipper range, you have to kind of play an awkward game of keeping TL within Tipper, but not too close that he ends up in your face, or too far that he goes back to camping. Mostly accomplished through d-tilt, DB for punishing, and a well-spaced F-tilt for can help deal with a jump approach.

At" in your face " range, you'll want to try to get back to tipper range. xD

In an horizontal aerial conflict, I'm giving Marth the edge with SHFairs, and SHFF Nairs, they have great range, and an unstaled nair can probably kill Tink around 65% at reasonably close distance (Assuming the opponent is not inhuman at DI).

Vertical aerial is definitely Tink's. When he's above we cannot set-up juggles as easily due to Bomb-rain and Dair, which bounces off counter, and goes through a u-tilt if timed correctly, I believe. When he's below (always bad for Marth), Uair can harass air dodges, and bombs can be thrown straight up to bait them.

In terms of recovery, I'd say it's pretty even. Tink has solid gimping abilities, but I've never found it that hard to get back to the edge against Tink, unless they are very aggressive with Bair, which is risky. Tink's recovery has great distance, but is extremely easy to read and edge hog, and you can even jump into it and counter if you're feeling stylish. Marth also has an easier time edge-guarding, since Tink's Zair is his only aerial that out ranges our options.

Kill power goes to Marth on this one, I think, but not by a huge margin. Save good killers like Nair, U-smash and Bair, and just watch out for the DAC U-smash from Tink, and be wary of projectile set-ups leading into F-smash. An early D-smash gimp is also possible from Tink, make sure you DI correctly.

Overall, I'd say this one is probably Marth's favor. I feel like 60:40 is probably appropriate, most of dealing with Tink is being careful not to get harassed and set up by projectiles, and being wary of an early gimp. Marth will usually last longer than Tink, which gives him the edge.

60:40 or 55:45 Marth's favor.

LOL wut. I stopped reading when I saw the bolded part in the quote. This assumes the players are both at a high level of play. If a TL dies at 65% from a tipped nair...their DI sucks soooo sooo much.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Lololwut

That STILL makes no sense. Even if we were standing on the edge, you tippered BOTH hits of a nair, it wasn't decayed at all AND I DI'ed it bad, I would porbably STILL live at 65% lolol

Toon Link isn't as light as he looks XD

gallax

Smash Hero
LOL wut. I stopped reading when I saw the bolded part in the quote. This assumes the players are both at a high level of play. If a TL dies at 65% from a tipped nair...their DI sucks soooo sooo much.
yeah ive never killed my friend from a tippered nair(fresh) at 65% unless he was near the edge of the stage after being knocked off. even then it was a gimp.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Pho is amazingly delicious... thanks for making me crave it >: (
I'm sure I've heard girls tell me that all the time.

In related news, Marth's uptilt is full of ****. Try to avoid that at kill range.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
My apologies, I didn't make it QUITE as clear as I meant to. I when I said "close" I didn't mean to the Toon Link. I meant to the edge of the stage. Like, just-pulled self over the edge area. Nair has more kill power than you would think, no need to **** a brick. :dizzy:

Edit: Maybe I'm just lucky. xD Either way, I don't find Tink very difficult to kill.

Edit 2: Just did a little bit of testing, you'll get a kill at 70% on the edge of Battlefield with no DI. 74% in training with the CPU on "Stop" for minor DI. Not the most accurate, but it's something. While I low-balled it a bit, you can still easily get a kill with the second hit tipper before 100%. With the CPU on "stop", you can kill around 107% from the center, so an earlier kill than that is completely plausible if your opponent's DI is lax, or you're closer to the sides. Just my two cents.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
-__- You guys dont realize how strong tipper nair is lol. Then again im assuming bengals means if there close to the edge, but yeah its really strong lols.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
-__- You guys dont realize how strong tipper nair is lol. Then again im assuming bengals means if there close to the edge, but yeah its really strong lols.
Wasn't me who said that, lol.

Also, nobody is really refuting anything I posted in that wall of text I posted :/

TheJerm

Smash Champion
65% nair tipper on the edge wont kill us. Unless we DI with the attack. Fmash at 65% tippered, and fresh, is a maybe. Also, this match up is not in marths favor. I cant see how some of you say MK is 55/45 or 60/40, and marth is the same. Marth cant gimp us nearly as easily. In fact, we gimp him easier. Also, outside of marths tipper ranger, they have nothing. If you guys would play smart, you'll see that we can actually put alot of pressure on marth.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
I'unno Jerm.

The thing about the MK matchup ratio, is that most of us didn't feel like it was such a crippling matchup that it deserved a 70/30, so they went for a 60/40, because that suited the general thoughts much better.

MK and Marth being the same ratio doesn't really mean 'that' much that it'd stop Marth from being 60/40 as well.

I would think the biggest problem here is when Marth basically starts shoving your wall back to the ledge, and gets at or within tipper range. He seriously shuts down our options, to the point where we won't get out without major damage. I don't really see a solution to that other than hoping for the opponent to make a mistake, then we rinse and repeat the process.

Eh... with that being said, I'm thinking 60/40 Marth still. Nothing's really changed going into this matchup from last discussion imo. To me atleast, Marth, Falco, and MK look to shut down our general options much better than any other chracters, with Olimar being a special case in which was already discussed.

Once again, I'm definately hoping that I'm not seeing something imperative about this matchup that'd really help out. So my open ears go out to you right now Jerm, From my perspective it's still about 60/40, though as seen with Olimar my opinion generally changes. D:

@ the 65% thing: We're kinda... not underestimating this, a tippered Nair won't kill TL at 65%. Even at the edge. I know this personally, I've survived it on multiple occasions. I would venture as far to say that an Fsmash tipped shouldn't really kill us at that position, but you have to DI near-perfectish. But Nair, definately not.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
They do shut down our options at tipper range. But dont they shut down just about every other character at tipper range? If we get in that situation, We can just shield until we have the choice to move in closer, or retreat. Other than that, I dont think they have too much else over us.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Well other characters have easier options to get away than we do.

Falco can Side B at a given moment. Lucario has a great roll. If we're pushed back to the ledge at tipper range, and it's kinda hard to not find ourself in this situation, I don't really see us escaping without taking 30+% in damage being the result.

I see where your thoughts on the matchup are coming from now Jerm, though I think the one thing they have on us is pretty major. Putting us into that situation doesn't seem that hard as Marth.

In some ways, I like to relate this matchup to Marth's matchup with Falco. If I recall correctly, Marth has the advantage on Falco for the exact same reason + breaking out the CG(albeit, this is extra and not why I'm bringing this up), and I would believe Falco even has better options than we do in this type of situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong about that though. Then there's always the "We shouldn't end up in that situation alot" refute that tosees everything in the wind sorta. But if we were to think this way most of Marth's matchups on projectile users would be even instead of mostly in his advantage.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
What can falco do at close range cept chain grab? If the marth is over 50%, the falco is pretty screwed. If we get close to marth, our sword works better. With fast reaction bairs and nairs. We win that close up fight. If we are outside their tipper range, boomerang and bombs will give us the oppurtunity to slow stack on damage. But I'm not saying its our advantage.. actually I do believe its our advantage, but i'm not arguing that. I just want people to see that its atleast even.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Opinion Change = 55/45 Marth

I'm starting to dumb down on my thoughts since really I don't find this matchup as hard as MK or Falco or Oli, but I'm still seeing this a little in Marth's advantage.

A small note I'm not going to touch on much, but I wouldn't really downplay Falco's up close options like that. As opposed to what some believe He's not just all Lazah lazah Chaingrab chaingrab, oshi what do I do from here. He has very capable options, with a huge exclamation point on his trouble with killing.

My opinion is changing, because I don't really have that concrete answer for it 'not' to be even, and it's pretty. not. good. to say this, but I kinda just know Marth has the advantage here. I know we can get out of Marths pressure but Marth has an easier time breaking out our pressure than we do breaking out of his pressure. And it's moreso dangerous when we're locked in that situation, compared to when they're overwhelmed by our projectiles.

I'm. semi lost on what I'm saying here as it's like. 5 AM. I think what I'm saying is that Marth does what we're trying to do at long range, close range. and that he does it better overall. Our long range game can't really even up this matchup like that.

Bear with me, and be sure to point out flaws in what I'm saying. Bengals' overall describes perfectly what I'm trying to say. Most of the match will be spent with Marth in TL's face, typically because Marth has to be there to damage him. There's no other place Marth will be, so with that add onto what I was saying earlier in this post.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Haha, its ok. You dont have to change your opinion, only person who really agree'd with me fromt he beginning was chipsies lol. I'll just have to beat neo for you guys ;]

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Nah I don't feel obligated to change it lol, it's just each time I kinda don't have the backbone of an argument that'd really Make the matchup 60-40 (well. Except MK because 70/30 sounded like too much imo), but I'll still backup my thoughts on it being disadvantaged, until shown definate evidence of even or advantage.

I'm still learning lol.

Hoping we find something for the Falco matchup though.

Lobos

Smash Master
Haha, its ok. You dont have to change your opinion, only person who really agree'd with me fromt he beginning was chipsies lol. I'll just have to beat neo for you guys ;]
HA!........Also Neo is the only Marth main to ever beat me in tourney >_>

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Lobos come to next C3 and I'll change that xD

nah but for real, come to C3 :)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yea, thats the big thing we have in this matchup that MK doesn't.

A sword that isn't transcendent (besides DB). That's like the only time transcendent priority isn't a good thing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom