• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Diddy Kong

Gates

Banned via Warnings
DIDDY KONG

DIFFICULTY: EVEN - 45:55
CHAINGRAB: YES (Normal CG Only, Watch For Bananas)

This matchup is annoying for the king and I have experience on both sides, at least enough to help anyone.

Pros: You **** him offstage. You're heavy, and difficult to KO for diddy. You have far better range. Your grabs are very valuable and can stop him in his tracks. You're utilt kills him at 100ish, Fsmash at ridiculously dumb percents. Inhale is good but situational.

Cons: He's agile, and difficult to hit. You get ***** onstage by bananas. You cannot simply hop over everything, because the peanut gun and fair will take care of that. Hard to land the KO finisher. No glide toss (massive disadvantage.) Fat, easily combo'd. Damage racks up FAST on you. You get pressured like hell and it can get to your head.

His recovery: This is where d3 has the biggest advantage, d3 ***** diddy's up b with any aerial. If you can predict when he's going to side B to recover, then you can aerial it (he can use his side b again, so keep hitting him until he is forced to use his up b.) Your up b meteor spike ***** his rocket barrels, you spike him, and the barrels hit you and keep you to survive. Keep this in mind, because the meteor spike can come in handy if you're both recovering offstage.

Onstage: Onstage, I'm sorry but you're going to be playing very carefully and slow. Diddy ***** d3 alot because the bananas are so difficult for d3 to get around since he's fat as hell and he doesn't have a glide toss (I don't think he does, even if he does its garbage). Chaingrab him. Without the chaingrab, this matchup would be ridiculously difficult but you can even it out with this simple thing. Chaingrab him offstage at any opportunity you possibly have. Suppose there is a banana in the way of your chaingrab, just throw him backwards and pick it up.

If he dash attacks into your shield, his dash attack is lagless so he can even grab you or upsmash you if you dare to shield grab him. So shield grab very carefully after the last kick of his dash attack. Now, you will be dealing with his glide tossing alot, he will follow a glide toss with grabs, dash attacks most commonly, Fsmashes, dsmash, and anything else really. If you shield the glide tossed banana roll backwards, since you will be pressured like hell he will probably grab you if you're shielding.

Diddy cannot kill you from afar, and if he wants to camp you with his peanut gun (which is viable because you can't approach him very easily) then camp waddle dees and airdodge pick up the peanuts. Instead of picking the bananas up with your dash attack or pressing A while walking, full hop dair picks them up right off the ground safely without the expense of being punished by tripping. Ftilt is very good onstage because of its range especially if he doesn't have a banana in his hand. You have to grab him alot if he's in his crazy naner mode to get him away so you can pick up the bananas. Inhale can stop him from following up a far away glide toss and can dispose of some bananas far away but if you use it wrong, you will be severely punished. When he's on the ledge, use the full hop dair just a bit more to stop him from getting back up.

Offstage: **** his recovery, bair is the best choice I think because of its long-lasting hitbox (kindof) and if he tries to side B the weaker hit may hit him. He can get back on the stage from even a full WoP so if he's getting back to the ledge and aiming his rocket barrels towards it, use an nair to interupt it so he falls down and then edgehog again.

DI'ing his fsmash: You will most likely get fsmashed from a successfully landed glide toss from up close so keep it in mind that if you are very observant you can DI it. You hold towards him you're caught in it close to his body, and if you're far away, DI up and away. This makes it not able to kill you if successfully DI'd and negates some of the damage.

Good stages: Lylat cruise is good because the stage can gimp his recovery alone by it moving haha. Rainbow cruise (don't need to explain this, just watch out for the spikes), smashville is okay because it's hard for him to combo you into oblivion, and he has less room to camp and space himself away from you. Yoshi's island is great, that platform interfers with his bananas.

Bad stages: Fd, he combos you like crazy on here and it's difficult to get in close. Battlefield is okay, but it can be harder to avoid the bananas.

That's all I got really, just watch out for his dsmash it's the best option to kill you. This matchup is very difficult but if you know how to handle it I'd say it's almost even but diddy still has the advantage you just really have to get him
offstage.

Good diddy vs d3 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkJ5z_IOkeE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4shH1TL4LmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po2tmufbFDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGHnPIlE8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99TPAANzHio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB5YsngjA6c
Learn to z-grab / running (release stick) z-grab the nanas and airdodge with the initial frames to pick then up when you land. Throw them off the stage or smash upthrow if you're to far awayfrom the edge. Throwing them at him normally isn't a good choice unless you're setting up a trap. When he has a nana your options are very limited. Don't ftilt/dtilt unless its gaurenteed to hit. Stay in the air (with your back towards him) when he has a nana. Zgrab when he throws it at you, bair when he tries to challenge you with his aerials. Waddle dees/doos can get punished so don't spam them unless its safe. Just keep your cool, he doesn't build damage up as fast as you may think, but tripping all the time is demoralising. He has mad shield pressure and fsmash has pretty good shield breaking potential so watch out. Planking is viable (to restore your shield and such). His best option is arching the peanuts but that doesn't work if you time you drops/ledgegrabs right. He won't chase you offstage most of the time but watch out for a suprise fair it will kill early near the side blastlines (and nothing pisses me off more than dying at mid/low percentages against a diddy). The bananas limit your options so bad, I've played matches where 90% of my moves where bair/dthrow/grab. His killing options are the most telegraphed in the game so there's no excuse not to have perfect DI. Just remember that the nanas go through pretty much everything so make every move count.
Okay, so, I found something groundbreaking against diddy kong. Run up and full hop dair bannans that are on the ground. It's broken because you cover your *** with your hammer, you pick up the bannana, you move while your doing it, and it auto cancels

Tekk

Smash Lord
What I always do against Diddy's is waiting him (shielding) to throw his bananas, and when he's dashing towards me, I grab him before he dash attacks or something.If you can predict he's going to grab you, just roll away and Ftilt.

I don't believe throwing diddy's bananas onstage is a good Idea since he can sooooo easily pick them up with a dash attack.To use bananas against him, just grab him, Bhrow him to the offstage, pick a banana up and **** his recovery with.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble with a banana spamming Diddy Kong -_- They **** hard

Jupz

Smash Master
Diddy Kong will glide toss his banana's at you and follow with a dash attack or grab. A well time spotdodge covers both these options, but a better option is to Fullhop a Dair out of shield after shielding the banana. This takes out any of his options and if you move forward a little will pick up the banana. Fullhop Dair also picks up bananas lying on the ground. Practice his jump cancelled glide toss for a little extra distance. Camping with dairs above the ground works well in this matchup. If the bananas are ruining the chaingrab, throw them away with Bthrow or off the stage with Fthrow. Sometimes they act more cautious and glide toss a banana backwards while throwing it at you (they slide backwards but throw it forwards). Shield it and jump forward and Z-catch the banana. Once you have one, there are several things you could do including throw it behind you and hope the diddy tries to get it, fast fall a Nair after a Z-dropped banana->Utilt, or you can try and use them offensively with jump-cancelled glide tossing. Don't use many inhales as if you eat a banana theres a lot of lag. Waddle dees are great in this matchup to stop bananas.

Dedede ***** offstage, his bair beats all of diddys recoveries. Just try your best to predict what they will use. If the diddy is trying to recover straight up and is a fair way down and you are trying to recover, you can use UP+B and land on them as they are shooting up, causing them to get spiked and you will get knocked back up by the barrels. This is impractical usually though becuase Bair is a better option, though it could be used very situationally.

Good stages:
Delfino - Walk offs, infinites, low ceilings.
PS1 - similar reasons to above except the ceilings aren't as low.
Is halberd a good stage?

Bad Stages:
FD - too long
Pictochat?Smashville? I think these are bad because diddy controls the stage well with bananas.

Verdict: Hmm tough one, not really sure, I guess around 45:55 to Diddy Kong.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Serin is taking over this thread so I'm bumping it.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I love FD. Grabs take longer to get, initially, but once u get a grab, u should be able to take stock/give ALOT of %, doing d-throw at the edge, keeping him on the edge, and always making sure to punish his rolls on the stage/ledgehop airdodges on, anything that gets passed with another grab, to other side, and repeat.

if they try mixing up a long recovery ever, its free bairs to edgeguard.

FD limits his recovery options, where on smashville the platform comes to save him, and battlefield gives him safer places to land/avoid airchased grabs.

my two cents, with plenty more to come as i learn. I might put a vid up i have vs master raven's (lol) diddy, if you guys desire. It's not the best diddy, but it def. demonstrates the points im trying to get across.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i would say 55-45/even for diddy on stage and completely in your favor when diddy is trying to recover. nuff said. im still learnin the matchup from seibrik tho

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Anybody with decent to excellent aerial mobility can do this infinite. Our aerial mobility is the slowest in the game. I don't think we can get down there far enough from footstooling in order to truely get a grab on Diddy Kong. But a good mindgame I suppose.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
no ariel is used actually, it does require to be started with a footstool

however, my threory is, if you chaingrab a diddy into a banana thats urs, you can start the sequence, depending on how close u are to the banana before u d-throw, my guess is closer is better.

but lets say u got a footstool while holding a banana, u footstool->d-throw banana(dont DI at all either way)->zcatch(imediately start di-ing toward Diddy, he should always fall forward, and turn around, so he'll be going back and forth)->footstool 2nd time->d-throw banana-> z-catch->fastfall the DI toward diddy->land next to->double jump into diddy, causing an initial footstool again, repeat.

i know it sounds like alot between banana throws, but i assure u, you have enouogh time to pull it off, if u do it right, and the diddy can't roll or get up yet.

all i want know are setups into it, and it could turn what i already thought was a good (55:45) matchup for ddd, into a possible amazing one (60-65:40-45, i think this is amazing considering its diddy...)

if requested, i'll try to add a clip of me doing this in the video im already working on.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Lol no. I'll never switch back to Gamecube controller because I've gotten too far in with it to change back now.

Jupz

Smash Master
I use X too lol. And I use X to pummel and to shield grab. I have Z as jump so I can upB OOS with MK with tap jump off.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
D3 is one of my easier match ups, the fact his feet are so big makes it easy to banana game once you get in. auto pilot works perfectly against this character to me. Also when off stage i rarely get gimped or killed from bairs or fairs, diddy hump can be devastating against you and instantly turn a match around even without hump>foot stool...

Also since i excel in off stage game, getting CGd just saves me the effort of having to walk to the edge myself... in my opinion i think its 60-40.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
D3 is one of my easier match ups, the fact his feet are so big makes it easy to banana game once you get in. auto pilot works perfectly against this character to me. Also when off stage i rarely get gimped or killed from bairs or fairs, diddy hump can be devastating against you and instantly turn a match around even without hump>foot stool...

Also since i excel in off stage game, getting CGd just saves me the effort of having to walk to the edge myself... in my opinion i think its 60-40.
It's such a easy matchup for you because you live in Kansas. If there were any King Dededes there, they were swept up by tornadoes, and landed below you in Texas, swept off to the east, into Florida, and swept off to the west, into California.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

this is one of my favorite troll posts

It's such a easy matchup for you because you live in Kansas. If there were any King Dededes there, they were swept up by tornadoes, and landed below you in Texas, swept off to the east, Florida, and swept off to the west, California.

they need to learn to DI incoming cold fronts then god****

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
im sorry i didnt mean to troll by any means. im just saying its one of my easier match ups. Im okay at the game, nothing amazing. i dont think it is in d3s favor.

I wish we could di this cold, if you could CG this shiz outta here id give you 20 bucks :)

ADHD

Smash Hero
Seibrik fails this matchup is dead even 50:50. Anti knows how to do it. Diddy has the advantage in theory of both going at it head on, but DDD literally doesn't die until 160+ so that helps him get a minor boost making it closer.

Toneh

Smash Lord
snake vs d3 feels like 45:55 even tho its hard.
diddy vs d3 seems like its even to me bc of:

-diddy can fight d3 up close better than snake.
-can grab D3 better than snake bc of bananas and is less risky
-is harder to edgeguard than snake
-hits d3 in the air better (bananas thrown up like mortars + aerials), and stuff like bair breaking mortars but not nanas
-avoids the chaingrab better than snake
-bananas stop chain grabs way better than nades. D3s alot of the time can chaingrab right past grenades
D3 is still really good so i dont feel like its advantage

Top Bottom