• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Zelda/Sheik

Gates

Banned via Warnings
ZELDA, SHEIK, AND ANY COMBINATION OF THE TWO

DIFFICULTY:
ZELDA: EVEN - 55:45
SHEIK: EVEN - 55:45
ZELDA/SHEIK (Switching between the two): EVEN - 55:45

CHAINGRAB: NO (Neither)

Shiek/Zelda, the ninja/magical princess of Brawl. This is an interesting match up for D3. Lets see, where to begin...

Firstly, realize that the king does not have a chain grab on neither Shiek or Zelda, and depending on which of the two your fighting/your opponents playstyle, you may be forced to approach. Approaching with our lovable penguin as many of you probably know is not D3's strongest suit, however it is possible. Full hop down airs, short hopped back airs, and forward tilts are probably your best options in this fight, especially if your being needle camped or set ablaze by din's fire.

In my opinion, DeDeDe has a slight edge when fighting against Shiek. Since Zelda's alter ego has no multiple hitting aerial attacks, any instance in which your opponent improperly spaces an aerial attack means a free grab, which you should then proceed to back throw. I'm not sure if down throw, forward tilt combo works or not since Shiek is pretty light, so just opt for a back throw unless it's severely decayed and doing 10% or less. Be cautious if the Shiek your fighting is more ground oriented and aggressive. Getting caught up in a foward tilt lock is free damage for Shiek if you don't SDI (smash DI) up and out of there quickly. Racking up damage on D3 as Shiek is fairly easy during the early percents, but I believe the main reason D3 has a small advantage over Shiek in this match is due to her lack of killing power. That boost smash hurts bad, but once you get around that, she should have some trouble killing you if she's decayed her Fair/Bair, but even then, that's not one of her best killing moves (vanish). You should only be getting hit by vanish through mind games or if the Shiek user forces you to Up B from off the stage. In most instances, this wont happen, but smart Shiek users can hit you from your jumps via needles sometimes causing you to use your super jump. This puts you in a bad position, so recover carefully. On the flip side, edge guarding Shiek is pretty easy. Back air her to oblivion, as her Up B doesn't cover very much horizontal or vertical distance to save this ninja if you hit her decently far away from the stage. I'm not saying go out of your way to gimp her, but a few well placed bairs is enough to do the trick. If all else fails, up tilt kills at around 100% (give or take).

Zelda on the other hand can be troublesome for such a big and heavy character such as D3. Most Zelda users will force you to approach them, throwing Din's fire out until you do so. If I'm not mistaken, a back aerial can cancel these flames out if you hit it right, so keep that in mind if your shields low. Once you get to close to Zelda however, her multi - hitting smash attacks simply eat D3 alive. Her up smash is beastly, again SDI out of there quickly or you'll be eating a good amount of damage. Normally this isn't a problem for DeDeDe due to his weight, but Zelda by no means lacks killing power. She has a spike, though hard and a bit risky to perform, an up air to kill you off the top, and a monstrous forward air that make users with bad DI, or just users who are unaware of her power, make them sorry for underestimating her. Honestly, I use waddle dees/doos/gordos alot in this match up, even if she can just reflect them back. Approaching her is hard, you have to constantly be mixing it up or prepare to be punished. Again, full hop down airs to shield poke, as well as back airs. Going in for the shield grab on the ground can be risky, as Zelda users down tilt trips, and trips, and trips some more. SDI away, less you eat a down smash. Like Shiek, you **** Zelda offstage, as her Up B covers a lot of distance, but is easily thwarted by smart use of invincibility frames. Back air her way off stage, wait for her to announce she's using her Up B, grab, then do a get up attack/roll if necessary to edge hog. Your main goal this fight is getting her off stage asap and making sure she doesn't come back. Zelda out camps you, plain and simple, and with the ability to shut down most of your approaches, this is going to be a long and tedious fight.

All in all, Ziek is a rough match up for King DeDeDe, especially if they just stay Zelda (which most will). Your going to have to play a tight spacing game, and generally just smart decision making if you hope to win this fight.
lmao so biased, serin u can't just say the ratio without even talking about things and assuming ddd *****.

sheik/zelda should be using both characters, sheik really does run circles around ddd, the main problem is that it's hard to not get shield grabbed. ddd can honestly win this matchup with only bthrows because he can just run up to sheik, put up his shield, and wait to punish something. so because of that, sheik kinda does have to run away, and then attack whenever ddd does something weird. but still, u can sometimes just run up to him and autocancel fair to double jab -> grab and he can't do much if he decides to not shield grab the fair (but he can shield grab the jabs.)

waddle dee helps at preventing needles. but sheik can also ftilt them to refresh moves haha, and decayed ftilt is better than fresh ftilt

this matchup is tough on both sides, because sheik can't mess up and get shield grabbed too much. honestly if ur gonna just jump up and do bairs, sheik can just stay on the ground and charge needles, or heck, even crawl. ur ftilt and dtilt are good options since ftilt outranges sheik and dtilt outprioritizes her... but if sheik blocks it ur gonna get punished, shes fast enough to punish those.

sheik can't mess up cuz she's gonna get shield grabbed

ddd can't messup cuz he's gonna take a lot of damage from an ftilt combo

it's easy to ftilt nair ddd at like 90% and then transform

zelda fishing for KO's is not THAT scary for DDD, u just gotta play a little cautious, you have a big body to get hit by sweetspotted fair/bair kick, but obviously ddd won't be in that position. she's gonna be fishing for smash attacks, but those usually take an air dodge approach or a dtilt setup, and it's hard for zelda to even get close. since it's a high % battle, obviously this is gonna take some camping and baiting. so there will be a lot of waddle dees and dins fire. ddd can easily sidestep, bair, or even utilt dins fire, but zelda is going to be throwing them out anyway if you cant hit her when she does it. IMO, ddd's approaches are better so zelda might be taking quite a bit of damage if she can't get that kill right away.

however, just be careful since a powershielded ddd ftilt can result in ur death. and it's not like ddd can just utilt or bair zelda easily, she's almost never going to be in that position. so u might find it actually pretty hard to KO zelda. she can be gimped and easily edgeguarded though, so if you do happen to fthrow or bthrow her, the edge guard shouldn't be that hard. IMO that's zeldas biggest problem. she has to sweetspot, but if ur edge hogging she just falls onto the stage slowly and then get punished/die.

overall i think the matchup is 50:50, it doesnt really favor either side cuz i think they have equal spacing and damage racking games. it's also a very fun matchup cuz there's no 0-death stuff, besides ddd gimping the other character. but sometimes sheik can guess shields correctly and end up doing 80% with one rushdown. sheik has a lot of ways to bait out attacks since she's so fast, and it's just a matter of ddd spotting them and counterattacking/shield grabbing at the right moment. it's fun cuz the matchup isnt really 'gay' in any way, and pretty dependent on skill and experience

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
This isn't even a problem anymore. This matchup is 60:40 Dedede vs Shiek and 55:45 Dedede simply because Shiek recovery is **** and Zelda is ****, but recovers longer. If more people agree (or if you agree) I'll just close the thread until something else pops up that may shift the balance.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Ew no. This matchup is not hard at all. WoP with bair against both of them, its game.

CO18

Smash Hero
I dont see what Zelda has at all vs D3, Zelda has like 0 options for dededes bair because her aerials are so trash and slow. Ftilt outspaces her. She doesnt have good means of racking up damage. All her kill moves are easily avoidable and outspaced. Its not hard to gimp her at all, she has NO edgeguard game vs DDD basically plus she dies atlike 85 from up tilt...

Shiek is decently hard she can run circles around you and racks up damage stupidly fast and can gimp D3 just has range and KO power over her. I think its even or slight shiek favor.

CO18

Smash Hero
CO... Sheik has like... so few options against bair :/ it's stupid........

Thats false lol... I use shiek often vs my training partners d3, you can nair in between, shield jab, shield dsmash then if its spaced perfectly, shield needle.
And I also play neos shiek online. He personally thinks shiek destroys d3 but thats definitley not true either lol

Only time bair is really a problem is when shes returning to the stage whether off it or above it lol, but youll only take like 1 bair/ d3 faking one and grabbing you as you get to the stage.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I generally agree with CO18, so I'm going to change it. When I really think about the Zelda matchup, there's no way it's harder than the MK matchup. I'm a little reluctant about exactly what to change it to but this seems accurate for now.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao so biased, serin u can't just say the ratio without even talking about things and assuming ddd *****.

sheik/zelda should be using both characters, sheik really does run circles around ddd, the main problem is that it's hard to not get shield grabbed. ddd can honestly win this matchup with only bthrows because he can just run up to sheik, put up his shield, and wait to punish something. so because of that, sheik kinda does have to run away, and then attack whenever ddd does something weird. but still, u can sometimes just run up to him and autocancel fair to double jab -> grab and he can't do much if he decides to not shield grab the fair (but he can shield grab the jabs.)

waddle dee helps at preventing needles. but sheik can also ftilt them to refresh moves haha, and decayed ftilt is better than fresh ftilt

this matchup is tough on both sides, because sheik can't mess up and get shield grabbed too much. honestly if ur gonna just jump up and do bairs, sheik can just stay on the ground and charge needles, or heck, even crawl. ur ftilt and dtilt are good options since ftilt outranges sheik and dtilt outprioritizes her... but if sheik blocks it ur gonna get punished, shes fast enough to punish those.

sheik can't mess up cuz she's gonna get shield grabbed

ddd can't messup cuz he's gonna take a lot of damage from an ftilt combo

it's easy to ftilt nair ddd at like 90% and then transform

zelda fishing for KO's is not THAT scary for DDD, u just gotta play a little cautious, you have a big body to get hit by sweetspotted fair/bair kick, but obviously ddd won't be in that position. she's gonna be fishing for smash attacks, but those usually take an air dodge approach or a dtilt setup, and it's hard for zelda to even get close. since it's a high % battle, obviously this is gonna take some camping and baiting. so there will be a lot of waddle dees and dins fire. ddd can easily sidestep, bair, or even utilt dins fire, but zelda is going to be throwing them out anyway if you cant hit her when she does it. IMO, ddd's approaches are better so zelda might be taking quite a bit of damage if she can't get that kill right away.

however, just be careful since a powershielded ddd ftilt can result in ur death. and it's not like ddd can just utilt or bair zelda easily, she's almost never going to be in that position. so u might find it actually pretty hard to KO zelda. she can be gimped and easily edgeguarded though, so if you do happen to fthrow or bthrow her, the edge guard shouldn't be that hard. IMO that's zeldas biggest problem. she has to sweetspot, but if ur edge hogging she just falls onto the stage slowly and then get punished/die.

overall i think the matchup is 50:50, it doesnt really favor either side cuz i think they have equal spacing and damage racking games. it's also a very fun matchup cuz there's no 0-death stuff, besides ddd gimping the other character. but sometimes sheik can guess shields correctly and end up doing 80% with one rushdown. sheik has a lot of ways to bait out attacks since she's so fast, and it's just a matter of ddd spotting them and counterattacking/shield grabbing at the right moment. it's fun cuz the matchup isnt really 'gay' in any way, and pretty dependent on skill and experience

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm putting Chok's summary in the OP. Serin or Crashic, could you guys edit it into the appropriate section of the Grand Unified Guide?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol sorry my writing is not carefully punctuated and pretty scatterbrained, but i did summarize pretty well how the matchup goes IMO

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I was brawling my friend Z. He thought the matchup was 65:35 Sheik due to our first 2 matches that I 3 stocked him (then JV 3'd him)

I told him to start spamming bair more, and to go for gimps rather then letting me return to the stage.

He then took me to 90% last stock, then 140% last stock. He then said he sees how the matchup could be even.

It's either I don't know how to punish bair (which I was doing quite often) or bair really is that good vs Sheik.

ps:
That was the first time he had ever played a Sheik. That was like my... 50th time playing a DDD. I obviously knew the matchup way better then him, but he picked it up quickly.
<_<

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Don't take them to Final Destination... they can camp us unbelieveably if they wanted to. Best neutral for them is Smashville because since Sheik is susceptible to a lot of shield-grabbing, the smaller stage is best for this. Zelda is less of a problem here also.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
against bairing ddd u should just charge needles, or get under him. being under ddd is a really good spot for sheik. dont try to challenge ddd's bair cuz u will get hit lol

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol its not THAT random :p

the reason i bumped is cuz the discussion of this matchup wasnt very deep and sheik/zelda happens to be my main, lol

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
=x Touché. TBH, I don't think there is really to much to put into this. WoP Shiek offstage and kill Zelda off the top.

Tekk

Smash Lord
I don't know about Sheik's matchup much, but I often play Jujux (best europpean Zelda) and, uh, this matchup is not the easy you say lol.
A good zelda can combo you as hell with for example nair cancelling to Bair.
Zelda's Dtilt lock is DIable but she can Fair you in the face before you escape from that ****.
Also, Ftilt is pretty useless, Zelda just SH dodge toward you and then she Dtilt/grab you.
Zelda's grab game is actually good, at low percent she can do some really sick combo with her Dthrow and her Nair/Upsmash.
You can't DI out of her upsmash and she can Upsmash you twice in a row at 0%, then she Nairs you, ect ect.
Zelda's recovery is not that easy to gimp, if she's near the stage, she can teleport to grab the ledge or teleport on the stage, so you can't really punish her/edgehog her.

But she dies very early (I kill Jujux' Zelda at 85-90% on FD with a fresh Uptilt) and you can punish her spaced Fairs and Bairs with an Upsmash.
Teching the ground is one of the most important thing in this matchup to escape from her combo, if you don't techroll after a Dthrow at low percents, she'll dash attack/upsmash/regrab you.

and zelda CAN edgeguard dedede, if you UpB toward the stage, she'll just Upair/Fair/Bair you, and if you try to recover on the ledge, she can just edgehog you/spike you.

Sorry for these pretty confuse infos, but seriously, this matchup is 60-40 Zelda advantage, it's not even and we haven't got the advantage.

Hope I helped

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol yeah tekk, i'm glad you see zelda's strong points, but i also think u underestimate ddd's options since he is pretty good at getting close and being the aggressor in this matchup. sure, she has good smashes and dtilt and stuff, but ddd can easily shield grab everything she does on the ground. try it more haha, just try focusing on shield grabs rather than hitting her. ddd's grab is godlike and is the #1 that prevents sheik/zelda from completely ****** this matchup. ddd can shield grab all of zelda's moves except spaced aerials and spaced fsmash.

ur right, zelda's sh air dodge is a very good approach so ddd's be careful hehe.

most zeldas will dtilt or dsmash if they commit to an sh air dodge toward you, obviously they can bait your shield and grab you but zelda's grab is not that ranged and pretty slow, so they're just probably gonna dtilt/dsmash. even if they space it right i think ddd can shield grab it.

i think its like this

55:45 ddd vs zelda, 55:45 ddd vs sheik, but 49:51 ddd vs sheik/zelda

this is an example of a really good matchup cuz its skill dependent. sheik NEEDS the extra KO power, zelda NEEDS the better ways to rack damage. ddd is a big fat penguin who can shield grab everything

xxmaliciousxx

Smash Cadet
Against King Dedede, Zelda would usually be harder than Sheik. Since Dedede is a large target, Din's Fire is a strong punisher. But Sheik's Needle Storm is able to be blocked by Waddle Dees.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Serin is taking over this thread so I'm bumping it.

Top Bottom