• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Wario

Gates

Banned via Warnings
WARIO

DIFFICULTY: EVEN - 50:50*
CHAINGRAB: YES (Normal CG and Ledge Infinite)

*VERY stage dependent.​

Wario is a very unusual character addition to the Brawl line up, combining a plethora of contradictions. He is a heavy weight, yet very mobile in the air, "possessing the third-fastest lateral air movement (behind Yoshi and Jigglypuff) with a solid set of aerials to go with it." Not only that, but this character has odd lag patterns; most of his attacks either have start up lag, the forward tilt for example, or ending lag, the back air. This character is the epitome of hit and run, being able to weave in and out fast enough through the air to poke and prod as he pleases, making match up unfamiliarity a burden on he who is not prepared. First, lets look at the advantages and disadvantages at both ends of the spectrum.

Wario's Main Advantages

Insane Aerial Mobility - This makes grabbing, one of King DeDeDe's best attributes, almost useless, if not incredibly hard to land. Not only that, but attempting to rush down a Wario who is air camping is incredibly hard. Don't ever take a Wario to a stage where he can just run away the whole match, DeDeDe likes small, congested stages in this fight.

Heavy Weight - This is mostly overshadowed by the fact that we have grab releases that set up for the kill, but that's easier said then done. If you can't manage to land the grab, Wario has the potential to live well into the 100% percentile, dying at around 104% to a fresh up tilt. Lethal percentages are subject to change as I believe Wario has an advanced technique called Bike Braking, which is similar to Game and Watch's Bucket Braking. For those of you who are uninformed as to what purpose this serves, it has the ability to halt aerial momentum, allowing Wario to live even longer then he should, only if sent out horizontally, not vertically. Regardless, this can drag out matches until the last remaining seconds.

Shield Pressure Ability - Properly spaced down aerials eat DeDeDe's enormous shield alive. They also have the ability to avoid shield grabs which is super annoying as our character loves it when we press the Z button.

Plethora of Kill Moves - Forward Smash, up air, smart fart, full waft, foward tilt... Wario is certainly not lacking in this department. If DeDeDe is ever put into a position where he must use his Up B, it's free damage for Wario, if not a kill.

Master of Punishment - Do you shield more than usual? Do you like spot dodging a lot? Wario has answers to all of these mistakes, being able to bite through shields, and spot dodges. From what I understand, each time Wario hits you against the floor of the stage, it counts as one of the nine attacks needed to refresh his arsenal. You'll need to be able to fix bad habits mid round if you hope to come out the victor of this match.

King DeDeDe's Main Advantages

Grab Release Shenanigan's - As with most other characters in the game, we also have the ability to kill Wario from a grab release. To my knowledge, you have two viable kill options from a jump break, the up tilt and up smash. Jump breaks only occur if Wario mashes the jump button from a grab, you dash grab him and it connects, or his feet are not touching the ground, i.e. Wario is hanging over the ledge. Bike Braking stops more so his horizontal momentum then anything, so any percentage after 110% should mean death for the anti-mario.

Aerial Dominance - A properly spaced back air will stuff all of Wario's aerial attacks. Rarely will you they clank, and even more so will you lose in this fight.

Gimpability - If you manage to knock Wario off of his bike, he's as good as dead since the Up B isn't that great. A smart fart or full waft will save him, but if that options unavailable, that's the lose of a stock for him.

Weight - DeDeDe will win in a war of attrition. We start dying in the 115%-120% to fresh forward smashes near the ledge and moderately high in the sky to up airs. With good DI, it's possible to live well into the 140s.

Ground Dominance - Forward tilt is a great spacing tool, along with down tilt, and since a grab puts Wario in a horrible position as well as in kill set ups, don't expect to see him grounded much. You more so have to worry about the aerial aspect of this match. Beware for air dodge to grab, bite, etc. Wario players are constantly invulnerable to damage and attacks if they hit that L/R button at the right time.

In the final analysis, this match up consists heavily on the stage being played on. On Norfair, a campy Wario will win. On FD, this match is in our favor. I don't know how to number this match up, it's weird.
All you need to do is get the fat fatty behind the short fatty and have the fat fatty grab him into a sit-off. Then grab release the short fatty into a DIABETIC HEADBUTT! =3

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
wario is definitely hard to play. stay near the ground and short hop bair a lot and get a grab.
I'm pretty sure he can punish you harder for dair camping than other characters due to insane aerials and ability to pull them off.

A lot of warios also just bite and aircamp alot which wrecks dedede, and wait for the fart to charge for a free kill. Also he ***** your up b. When he is recovering expect him to go high right away, just like snake.

As far as I have experience, his bite beats our suck up unless the suck up is coming from the top i think or is from behind.

I would definitely ban norfair or battlefield, and try to go to FD or Smashville for your neutral, and counterpick with FD or Castle siege if you can get a grab.

EDIT: Also as far as sheilding goes, wario can punish you hard with bite and since dedede is so big he can dair ff upair to eat your sheild like nobodies business

And feel free to add anything

Hope these random tid bits helped

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
This matchup is so ****ing easy to me.

CG THE (short) FATASS!!!!! If he air camps, throw waddles. If he Chomps, poke his ***. If he recovers with bike, and has used his second jump, grab him. If his legs are dangling, dthrow and IMMEDIATELY or timely edgehog him. I ****ing patenting that gimp. I've done it so ****ing much.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Gee thanks for telling everyone that A to Z. <.< Didn't I place higher than you? Yeah I thought so.

But yeah, basically as long as Dedede is on the ground Wario can get a free bit off him. Omni did this to me ALL THE TIME in our match. It was total ****. The fact that he was yelling **** the whole time didn't help.

<3 Nomni
<3 AtotheZ

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Haha. Do you mean Omniswell? BEcause if you do, you should know that him and Shugo shared a muffin =3

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Did you know that Overswarm lost to Shugo's Sonic?

Also, my gameplan going into my match with Omni was to Dededecide him 3 times.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Did you know that Overswarm lost to Shugo's Sonic?

Also, my gameplan going into my match with Omni was to Dededecide him 3 times.
That is actually the best strat against wario as far as I'm concered. and I got a money match with omni haha. Lets try it.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
can someone tell what the ledge infinite is cause the thread says that you can ledge infinite him. and how to do it

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
NORFAIR IS BANNED.

Seriously, you don't have to worry about it. That other samus stage with the yellow lava is what you have to worry about now, but just ban it before the match starts.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
so in otherwords, win round one, on neutrals, ban norfair, and its suddenly in ur favor almost perminantly?

and thats IF norfair is allowed, which in most cases its dwindling.

PS. shouldn't matchups be measured on neutrals anyway, where stages dont affect it?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
PS. shouldn't matchups be measured on neutrals anyway, where stages dont affect it?
That's a good question. Personally, I think it should have more to do with winning the entire set, which already largely favors neutrals, but in winners finals, can make a difference. Like, an IC against a MK in winners. IC wins on Smashville first match. FD was already ban mind you. MK then planks and beats ICs on Battlefield. There you go, the most accepted and universal neutrals gone. ICs are now at an extreme disadvantage. Or at least that's how it use to be. The matchup has and is changing a lot. Its considered even, and now that hylan has found a setup into grabs, its likely going to go more in favor of ICs. This was just the most obvious example I could think of, though its out of date.

Of course, that's for Gates to decide. He's the matchup man.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I really don't wanna have to change the matchup numbers because it would mean editing that post in the Grand Unified Guide thread.

10lazy

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Just throwing this out there.
Since people say the matchup of King Dedede and Wario is "stage dependent", as when its our counterpick, it's 60:40 King Dedede, 50:50 when on a neutral, and 40:60 Wario while on his counterpick, the matchup is still considered Even if you look at the numbers and each character's advantage on their counterpicks.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
seibrik and CO18...i know your both mad legit...like MAD legit...so i know you guys know your stuff.

but uh...what warios do you guys practice on? atlantic south has not a single good wario to speak of >.> reflex used to be it but he hasnt played wario in awhile

i know you guys travel so...who are the warios you guys have beaten with sh bair spam? i dont think the matchup is that easy >.>

CO18

Smash Hero
seibrik and CO18...i know your both mad legit...like MAD legit...so i know you guys know your stuff.

but uh...what warios do you guys practice on? atlantic south has not a single good wario to speak of >.> reflex used to be it but he hasnt played wario in awhile

i know you guys travel so...who are the warios you guys have beaten with sh bair spam? i dont think the matchup is that easy >.>
Umm 1. I didnt use this tactic until like a month ago lol. When Afro mained wario he usually beat me(then again I was much worse then) and seibirk would 2 stock him often just spamming sh bair.

Ive played lots of warios reflex(who I beat without doing it), Fiction whom I barely lost to without doing it.

My teams partner mains wario whom used to get me to 1 stock mid% most matches where as now he RARELY ever gets me to last stock.

Wario has almost no approach and you can react to everything he can do which often includes getting easy grabs since everything they try to do will become super predictable. He cant dacus, he cant bite, he cant dair, he can fair which clashes but he takes much more percent then if he tries to run and shield grab you can easily grab him first which = 40%/death if hes at like 80%+ when you grab him.
Warios only chance is to get a lead and really camp hard. Seibrik is right.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion

LoL Stingers...
How should you know this about Wario? Last time I remember.. you're a R.O.B. main who posts millions in the R.O.B. boards. :)

Jupz

Smash Master
The only trouble I have with wario is his bite. :( But I've never tried just SHbair spamming, that should help.

And yeah crashic wario ***** on brinstar.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yes if you predict the shorthop bite correctly, always do a shorthop back air. His mouth, sadly, outprioritizes ours.

I always switch to Donkey Kong if a Wario takes me to Brinstar. Haha.

Ling Ling

Smash Apprentice
Well, this is the first productive post I make here since I don’t log in as often (here on Smash boards) because Puerto Rico has it’s own Smash Page (smashpr). But from here on out I’ll try to help in what I can because I believe that D3 is a Character with a lot of potential; most of which has not been used to it’s fullest.

But before that I’d like a quick introduction. My Smash Name is Ling Ling.. I piked it because I’m a HUGE fan of the Comedy Central Series, Drawn Together. Obviously, he was my favorite character J. I’m the top PR D3 and my first international Tournament was DBR Genesis.

Now back on Track: Wario Vs. D3

To me, D3 vs. Wario is even. Good Warios will not themselves get grabbed easily as people think. They play too Campy; hit and run. If the Wario player is Smart and is observant enough, he could capitalize and move in on any mistake, bad spacing, successful trap, ect; and do atleast 45%+ If D3 is at 0%. Even if D3 is at higher %’s, an Up Air could do serious damage, or a waft could kill (even D3) extremely early (if D3 is near the blast zones and the Waft makes him fly towards them).

If D3 Spams Bair, Wario could wait for it’s hit box to disappear and poke with his Fair/Dair immediately after it does. Same situation with D3 spamming Fair. Mixing up between Bair and Fair might be effective, but you might still leave patterns behind.

The best way to beat a Wario is Baiting him doing what you want then outsmarting him. You can’t just spam moves; you have to know when to use them. Otherwise you’ll get too obvious and Wario will use it in his favor; unless you’re doing it for mind games :)

CO18

Smash Hero
Well, this is the first productive post I make here since I don’t log in as often (here on Smash boards) because Puerto Rico has it’s own Smash Page (smashpr). But from here on out I’ll try to help in what I can because I believe that D3 is a Character with a lot of potential; most of which has not been used to it’s fullest.

But before that I’d like a quick introduction. My Smash Name is Ling Ling.. I piked it because I’m a HUGE fan of the Comedy Central Series, Drawn Together. Obviously, he was my favorite character J. I’m the top PR D3 and my first international Tournament was DBR Genesis.

Now back on Track: Wario Vs. D3

To me, D3 vs. Wario is even. Good Warios will not themselves get grabbed easily as people think. They play too Campy; hit and run. If the Wario player is Smart and is observant enough, he could capitalize and move in on any mistake, bad spacing, successful trap, ect; and do atleast 45%+ If D3 is at 0%. Even if D3 is at higher %’s, an Up Air could do serious damage, or a waft could kill (even D3) extremely early (if D3 is near the blast zones and the Waft makes him fly towards them).

If D3 Spams Bair, Wario could wait for it’s hit box to disappear and poke with his Fair/Dair immediately after it does. Same situation with D3 spamming Fair. Mixing up between Bair and Fair might be effective, but you might still leave patterns behind.
The best way to beat a Wario is Baiting him doing what you want then outsmarting him. You can’t just spam moves; you have to know when to use them. Otherwise you’ll get too obvious and Wario will use it in his favor; unless you’re doing it for mind games :)
This is only true if you full hop bair. Wario cant poke you after sh bairs because you can shield before he does so and react to whatever he does and if anything hell just trade hits with your bair and you do way more damage.

Ling Ling

Smash Apprentice
This is only true if you full hop bair. Wario cant poke you after sh bairs because you can shield before he does so and react to whatever he does and if anything hell just trade hits with your bair and you do way more damage.
If D3 SH's Bair, A Full Hoped Dair from Wario can beat it. Since Wario is in the air most of the time, in most situations, all he needs to do is jump again and Dair. W's Dair > D3's SHBair > W's Fair > D3's FHBair> W's Dair. This is the Rock/Paper/Scissors principle in fighting games. It's a Perfect example. The more observant/fast reactions/unpredictable/inteligent/ player will win the fight.

In Other words; if the Wario is Pattient enough and DOES N O T try to 0 to death D3, the match up is even. I'd imagine playing like DMG. I'm not implying that you shouldn't capitalize on mistakes, on the contrary. That's what you should be Aiming for.

And it's also cruicial that the Wario mixes up his approaches, spacings, punishing moves, ect. Unpredictability is the upper hand in this match up as well.

And I'm speaking in the match up aspect, not the entire specific match up down to every detail so to speak.

CO18

Smash Hero
Except d3 can EASILY React to that if hes short hopping that doesnt work at all, I literally play a wario basically everytime I play smash since my teams partner is one. D3 can easily react and just shield or up tilt or pivot grab or w/e . And if he predicts the wario double jumping ahead of time quickly do a full hop bair to intercept him.

Jupz

Smash Master
I played a wario few days ago in tourney who was probably a little better then me, the spam SH bair tactic works great :p

smasher01

Smash Ace
do i have to walk forward alittle to up tilt wario out of the grab release?

and for them to pop up in the air i dont hit them in the grab ,
what can the wario do to counter that and not get air released?

Top Bottom