• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sept 18] UTD 2: Balanced Brawl Tournament on campus. RESULTS UP!

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Results!

We had a total of 72 people show up. I did 8 pools with 9 people in each pool. One pool per TV. Pool rules were:

Play only two games.
Both games just pick Random (from the 11 stages above)
2 stock each game. (for time reasons)

When pools finished I took the top 3 from each pool and created a single elimination (eww i know, but short on time) 24 man bracket. Top seed in each pool got a bye.

Bracket Image: http://i33.tinypic.com/14avlev.jpg
Billy and I have yet to play it out.

And sorry no videos. I didn't have time to record any matches as I was hell-a-busy making sure everything was run smoothly.

UTD 2 - September 18, 2009
The second annual tournament on campus

presents...

Need-to-Know Information

Time: 7:00pm Friday Sept 18, 2009
Location: University of Texas at Dallas: Student Union, Richardson, TX 75080 (Click for map)
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124525532801

Last year we had 86 people participate in singles! BigBob won and PhoenixAlpha got 2nd... Billy got 5th =P

Campus Map

Events

Balanced Brawl Singles 1v1 Tournament
If more than 64 people show up, we will do pools first then a single elimination bracket. If 64 or less people show up, we will have a double elimination bracket.

Balanced Brawl Doubles 2v2 Tournament
Regardless of how many people show up, we will do a double elimination bracket.

Keep in mind for teams:
- Life stealing is allowed (press A + B at the same time).
- Team Attack is set to ON.

Entry Fee and Prizes

Due to UTD and their special rules about events hosted on campus property, there cannot be an entry fee for this tournament. This also means there will not be a prize payout of 60:30:10 or w/e. I know, it sucks. UTD has very strict policies on gambling and supposedly smash tournaments with entry fees count as gambling events. Sorry.

HOWEVER, there will be prizes. I'm not sure what they are yet, but I know we're going to give something away to the winners. Last year it was a Gamestop gift card.

Just for clarification, there is NO entry fee at the actual tournament. You just show up and play for free. Don't give any money to anybody!

UPDATE! - I found a work-around for having an entry fee at this tournament. The catch is I cannot take or give out any money on campus or even mention that I'm doing this, SO DON'T ASK ANYONE WHERE TO PAY OR GIVE MONEY TO. The way it works is you just show up like you normally would. When you register, instead of paying an entry fee you'll just tell me that you are part of the online smashboards community. This means you want to pay the entry fee, you don't have to, it's optional. I'll then mark you as "Sponsored by Smashboards" with a special nametag. After the tourney, we will all meet at IHOP (there's one nearby) and I'll take the sponsored players' money and give out the prizes. And if you don't pay up after the tourney I'll sic DPhat on you!

Singles will be $5.
Doubles (if we do them) $5 per person.

Rules

The rules will be taken directly from the SBR Recommend Rule set, found here with a few modifications (like the stage list) below.

General Rules
  • 3 stock, 8 minute time limit.
  • Items set to "off" and "none"
  • All sets are best 2 out of 3. After game 1, the loser picks his/her counterpick stage. Then the winner selects his/her character. Then the loser selects his/her character.
  • Controller port disputes settled by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • If the timer runs out, the winner is determined by most stocks then lowest percent.
  • Any action that prevents the game from continuing is banned. Examples include: freezing, disappearing characters, game resets, etc...
  • Stalling, purposely avoiding all conflict for extended periods of time, is banned.
  • Team attack is ON. Life stealing is allowed.

Starters
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
PictoChat
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
WiFi Training Room (select Hanenbow)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 (hold X or Y)
Norfair
Onett
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Shadow Moses Island
Spear Pillar: Cresselia (hold X or Y AND L or R)
Spear Pillar: Dialga (hold X or Y)
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Banned *
75m
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow (unselectable)
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 (hold L or R)
New Pork City
Port Town Aero Dive
Rumble Falls
Skyworld
Summit
Spear Pillar: Palkia (hold L or R)
WarioWare Inc.

* If both players agree to play on a banned stage, that is fine. Keep in mind there is an 8min time limit.

Equipment Tracker

Please we need as many TVs/Wiis as possible. If you can bring either please let me know asap.

TVs
  • Venue TV #1
  • Venue TV #2
  • Venue Projector #1
  • Venue Projector #2
  • UTDZac
  • Bwett
  • Katie
  • Shuz
  • PhoenixAlpha
  • Brett

Wiis (If the Wii is not homebrewed, please delete all custom stages before bringing it)
  • UTDZac
  • Bwett
  • Katie
  • Shuz
  • DrDrewTheDragon (maybe)
  • PhoenixAlpha
  • BadNewsBear
  • Sethlon
  • Weston
  • Dphat (w/ SD card)
  • Brett

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Crap. I forgot to note that because this is on campus, there won't be an entry fee for the tournament (which also means no payout in cash). Why? Because UTD rules state that tournaments with an entry fee count as gambling and gambling isn't allowed on campus.

But, since this is on a Friday, we could probably have another tourney Saturday for reals with an entry fee.

Basically this tournament is for the new freshman of UTD. It gives them something to do and a place to meet new friends. But anyone and everyone is welcome to come. I can house some people if necessary.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hmm, noted for future reference...

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i will definitely try to be there...
i dunno if u remember but it was a couple years back at the utd melee tourney that i think it was u who ***** my yoshi in semifinals lol
i've gained more experience since then especially in brawl i think (even been to a couple hobos, i'm originally from houston but going to utd now obviously)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Huge update in the OP. I've decided to make this a Balanced Brawl official tournament. This will be the first Balanced Brawl tournament since the standard release (today).

Standard Release of Balanced Brawl Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246327

How does this affect you? If you are a casual gamer, you probably won't notice a difference. You'll even get to play on more stages that most tournaments ban. If you're competitive, you'll see a few differences but nothing that affects your current playstyle. If anything, it will enhance your gameplay. I really think this has the potential to become a big hit.

Oh and I forgot one thing, you don't have to have your wii homebrewed to run balanced brawl. It will work on ALL wiis!

Get hyped!

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Alright! Green greens, Onlett and Corneria! Don't ask me why I love those stages. I couldn't tell you.

Oh it's so exciting! :D Way to be a ground-breaker Zac. :)

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
hmm i've played brawl+ but not balanced brawl...should be interesting i guess heh

and i could bring a tv since i'm so close if u need me to

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I really need ALL the extra TVs and Wiis that I can get. If you can bring one and know that you are coming please let me know.

Alessandra

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to ask if spectators are allowed?
I fail at competitive smash but I'd still like to go and watch, if that's okay?

And sorry for the n00b question, I can't say I've ever been to a tournament before :X

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Just so you guys know, my tournament says there's no entry fee (cause gambling is not allowed at UTD campus). What I was going to do is for all smashboards people charge a $5 entry free BEFORE the tournament, NOT on campus. Then payout the winners after the tournament.

Alessandra

Smash Apprentice
Just so you guys know, my tournament says there's no entry fee (cause gambling is not allowed at UTD campus). What I was going to do is for all smashboards people charge a $5 entry free BEFORE the tournament, NOT on campus. Then payout the winners after the tournament.

Where would this "before" be? I mean, where you'll be taking the fee?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Update on the first page about how entry fees will work. They are completely optional!

UPDATE! - I found a work-around for having an entry fee at this tournament. The catch is I cannot take or give out any money on campus or even mention that I'm doing this, SO DON'T ASK ANYONE WHERE TO PAY OR GIVE MONEY TO. The way it works is you just show up like you normally would. When you register, instead of paying an entry fee you'll just tell me that you are part of the online smashboards community. This means you want to pay the entry fee, you don't have to, it's optional. I'll then mark you as "Sponsored by Smashboards" with a special nametag. After the tourney, we will all meet at IHOP (there's one nearby) and I'll take the sponsored players' money and give out the prizes. And if you don't pay up after the tourney I'll sic DPhat on you!

EDIT: Also, if you are bringing a Wii that is NOT homebrewed, please remove all of the custom stages from it. Balanced Brawl cannot launch unless all of the stages are removed. You can backup your stages by moving them onto an SD card.

Gea

Smash Master
Hey Zac, wish I could come to this, but I can't. :(

I will say however I think that you are awesome for doing this, BBrawl is fun, and I hope this goes beyond smooth. Good luck.

PS Jiggs is awesome in BBrawl. DAT DASH ATTACK

Top Bottom