• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NW Monthlies, Bolton, DATE TBA (Melee + Brawl) Updated first page, MORE HYPE PLEASE!!

COEY

Smash Lord
Coeys Monthlies!

Alright guys and ....girls? (who am i kidding) here's what you all want to know. After a quite successful first ranbat these shall be every month from now on!

I'm ready to be sorting a new date just need to know when is best for you guys. Also what events are wanted as well. I'd be quite happy to run something that isnt teams if it will generate more players/prize pot. Let me know...

Entry Fees

Melee/Brawl Singles (1v1) - £3
Melee/Brawl Teams (2v2) - £1.50
Venue Fee (This is for electricity, housing, etc) - £1

In total if you want to enter all four events then it will cost £10 on the dot.

Confirmed List

The following players are pretty much definites..

Coey
Jo3
Fuzzyness
Tamoo
Ryuken
Smudge
Trio
Blipped Moon
Solid Pit
Dacacia

The following players are likely/possibly going to attend

AmcD
Aiko
TC
Calzorz
Jankai
Willz
Cpt Smashie

My address is as follows;

104 Hulton Lane
Bolton
Lancs
BL3 4JD

My mobile number incase anyone needs to contact me regarding any problems/travel arrangments/etc;

here are also some useful sites for arranging travel in advance;

www.nationalrail.co.uk (for trains nation wide)

www.nationalexpress.com (for coaches nationwide)

www.gmpte.com (for greater manchester bus routes/times/etc...)

if travelling by bus/coach you want to head to MOOR LANE BUS STATION, this is very important, at SHS1 quite a few people booked to another coach stop and i'm hoping to not have any hecticness this time.

If you arrive at MOOR LANE BUS STATION and want to get a bus, please make sure you let me know when you arrive at the station if possible. You will want to catch the 540 from the station. The ride should take only 5-10 minutes, and here's a rough guide incase of any problems contacting me on the day. You want to look out for a tesco express, when you pass that there will be alot of houses, then some shops/take outs, there will also be a CO-OP and a POST OFFICE and it's here you want to get off. The main road in between the POST OFFICE and the CO-OP is HULTON LANE AKA THE STREET I LIVE ON! From here it is a matter of walking only 2 blocks to arrive at my house, which is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE (same side as the CO-OP) walking up the road.

If you arrive at Bolton Train station, if you are going to be arriving alone let me know and i can meet you if you don't already know the way.

If however there are 3 or more you probably want to get a taxi it will work out cheaper. Remember to note down my address and order your taxi from this number 01204522022. this is probably a good idea if there are only 2 of you as well.

You will save a max of 60p between you finding the bus station, either that or face a 25-30 minute walk!! :)

So lets get down to business, i was already planning to run a melee ranbat, starting this month and now with the recent surge in the local brawl scene i'm now running brawl too. This is mostly down to how much support i have recieved for this and becaause of how many players are willing to attend.

Rules for both singles events are as follows. The only difference for teams is that team stock stealing is permitted. Mute City and Fountain of Dreams are banned due to lag. Oh and team damage must be on.

Regarding Time!

Because of time constraints and such other problems of running 4 events in a day, i will be putting a 3 strikes rule into operation in reagrds to friendlies. ANYONE CAUGHT PLAYING FRIENDLIES WHEN TOURNAMENT MATCHES HAVE NO TV WILL BE GIVEN A STRIKE AGAINST THEIR NAME(S), IF YOU AQUIRE 3 STRIKES THEN YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM ALL EVENTS INCLUDING ANY YOU MIGHT HAVE ALREADY WON! WITH NO REFUND! YOU WILL ALSO NOT BE INVITED TO ATTEND THE FOLLOWING RANBAT A MONTH LATER! REPEAT OFFENDERS WILL RECIEVE PERMANENT BANS! Please help me help you to make this work and be an enjoyable experience for all thank you. :)

Melee

4 stocks
no items
7 min time limit
1 stage ban each (no matter if you ban a random or a counter!)
dave's stupid rule is in affect
advanced slob picks

Advanced Slob Pick in a Nutshell

Step 1: For the first game both players choose their characters, if any dispute arrises then someone should seek out an unbiased player (me if i'm available) and then both write down and show me who you intended to play. This is double blind picking, and is used incase one player chooses his character 2nd, and his opponent feels he has made this choice simply because of who they had picked 1st.

Step 2: Play your first game, randomise your first stage out of those available on the random list and after stage banning is taken into effect.

Step 3: The loser of the 1st game may then choose the next stage to play on.

Step 4: The winner then chooses his character.

Step 5: The loser then chooses his character.

Step 6: With characters and a stage selected play your next game.

Step 7: Repeat steps 3 through to 6, but keep in mind Dave's Stupid Rule is in affect.

Step 8: When one player has won enough games (2 in most matches/ 3 in winners finals/ 3 in loser finals/ 3 again in grand finals/ 4 if a second grand final set is needed) then he is declared winner. At this point IMMEDIATELY come tell me or anyone who can update the bracket/pool you were playing in.

I am quite serious about this being immediate as many tournaments have been held up or not finished because of incidents where results arent handed in or people hold up TV's for friendlies when tournament matches are without a TV to play on. This is as much for your benefit as mine, unless you guys are happy to not have teams as well as singles!

Dave's Stupid Rule

This is quite simple, you cannot counterpick a stage that you have already won on (unless your opponent agrees). This stops matches from not only being repetitive, but it means to won you need to be able to beat your opponent on multiple stages. If you can't do this then no johns!

Double Elimination Bracket

In case you don't know smash tournaments usually work in a very similar way to lets say the World Cup for football. The difference is when you pass the group stages (or pools), then you enter a double elimination bracket instead of a single elimination bracket like the World Cup. What this means is you have to loose 2 matches (sets of best out of 3/5/7) before you are eliminated rather the convention in football of just losing a single match.

This not only gives every player at least one match more to play and more value for money, but it also means that the tournament will produce much more accurate results. How? well lets say for example the best and second best players attending are pitted against one another in the first round of the bracket. In a single elimination bracket by the end of round 1 at least one of the two best attending will be out and will place much lower than they deserve on the results sheet.

Why is this only double and not triple/quadruple etc? well simply time, time contraints stop this and many other sport/games from having truly 100% accurate results. But at least with double elimination we can get fairly accurate results.

Stages

RANDOM:

Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium

COUNTERPICK STAGES:

FD
DL64
PS
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Kongo Jungle 64
Corneria
Mute City
Brinstar
Rainbow Ride
Pokefloats

Results

19/09/09

Singles

1 - Fuzzyness
2 - AmcD
3 - Tamoo
4 - Jo3
5 - Coey
5 - Dacacia
7 - Captain Smashie
7 - Trio3

Doubles

1 - Charles and AmcD
2 - Coey and Jo3
3 - Tamoo and Dacacia
4 - Solid-Pit and Dooan

COEY

Smash Lord
Brawl

Thanks to smudge for this part.

Group Stages and Double elimination brackets
Best of 3 - All finals best of 5
3 Stock
8 Minute Time Limit
No Items
No stalling or running away to purposely run out the time limit (running out minimal time is one thing, multiple minutes is just ridiculous)
If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You can not quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.

Advanced Slob picks.*
You may not counterpick the stage you last won on.
You may ban 1 random stage, or 2 counterpick stages.
Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab. Dedede standard chain grab is fine.
Ice Climber things are legal, as long as they aren't used for stalling.
Metaknight Infinite Dimentional Cape is banned.
If there is a dispute over controller ports, play Rock Paper Scissors for it.
Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock)
If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.

Random
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

* See my first post for details.

Results

19/09/09

Singles

1 - Calzorz
2 - Trio
3 - Fuzzyness
4 - JD
5 - Jankai
5 - Dooan
7 - Coey
7 - Tamoo

K-Mac, Jo3, Dacacia, The_Rake, and Solid-Pit went out in pools.

Doubles

1 - Calzorz and Trio
2 - JD and Solid-Pit
3 - The_Rake and K-Mac
4 - Coey and Dooan

COEY

Smash Lord
Joe thanks for editing your post to keep brawl vs melee trash outta this thread. Same goes for everyone else, especially *insert your name*!!!

Charles - yea man that is the plan, hopefully with the amount of east midlands players already considering coming to the north west for brawl it seems stupid not to combine the events like you have done in London, seems a winning formula.

Please do not brush this aside guys, the advantage i have is that time is much less an issue as i own the venue (well rent.. ) also housing is assured to everyone as well.

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
Woop, more NW stuff! Let's get at least one in before I go back South for the autumn, which will either be on the 18th or 25th of September!

The Filth

Smash Lord
I've started playing melee more than Brawl these days, I may try actually come to one of these bad boys.

Especially seeing as I must be no more that 10 minutes away from the venue too... beezer.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I'd love to come, but I've gotta get my coursework out the way first before I contemplate coming here. I'll try and get it done next week!

Tamoo

Smash Master
Oh this is perfect, cant wait to play you NW guys, dont think ive played any of you yet

And housing assured pretty much confirms it for me

Sept 19 is the perfect date if its possible to sort **** out by then

blipped moon

Smash Apprentice
I'd come but only for Brawl.

I would enter melee but only if brawl was there as well. I could bring my wii as well if needed.

Smudge

Smash Lord
If you wanted me to run the Brawl section for you I'd be more than happy to

3 Stock
8 Minute Time Limit
No Items
No stalling or running away to purposely run out the time limit (running out minimal time is one thing, multiple minutes is just ridiculous)
If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You can not quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.
Advanced Slob picks.
Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab. Dedede standard chain grab is fine.
If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.

Random
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

These are the rules we've been using at in the NW if that helps any

J03

Smash Master
Yosh- i personally vote that all Brawl NW decisions are to be made by SMudge and Aiko (obv coey must agree obv obv)

also Smudge- make it your responsibilty that all brawl players know of this =)

AAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDD

Joe's 3 predictions.

1. I'll never lose at melee

2. Me and coey will never be beaten in teams

3. I'll beat over 50% of the brawl players at their own game

Joe <3 x

dissprove these and get a prize ^__^ ROFL

-------------------------------------

we still need to here from:-

Zero
Solid Pit
Brado
Ryuken
Trio

anyone else?

on a side note i was talking to Ant and he was saying lotsa bish about certain things that unless sorted may lead to conflicting events =o.

He doesnt wanna use gamerbase anymore because me wants to run melee as such he was gonna hire a hall or something. As you can see the two interelate rofl.

Tamoo

Smash Master
MM joe? I atleast want one match with you and if there's potential for a prize, hell yeah lol

And does that mean there's teams at this event? And next time u two are at the same tournament as me and dave, we'll take you in doubles :)

but yeah, go beat those brawlers, if you dont beat 50%, who does the prize go to, all the brawlers lol?

COEY

Smash Lord
I've started playing melee more than Brawl these days, I may try actually come to one of these bad boys.

Especially seeing as I must be no more that 10 minutes away from the venue too... beezer.
Sounds good man, seeing as how we are both in Bolton it's probably time we met up.

I'd love to come, but I've gotta get my coursework out the way first before I contemplate coming here. I'll try and get it done next week!
Get it done!! Which events would you be interested in?

Oh this is perfect, cant wait to play you NW guys, dont think ive played any of you yet

And housing assured pretty much confirms it for me

Sept 19 is the perfect date if its possible to sort **** out by then
Good ****. If you need any travel help getting here all you need to do is ask. :)

I'd come but only for Brawl.

I would enter melee but only if brawl was there as well. I could bring my wii as well if needed.
thats cool i think brawl is very likely due to the almost immediate and very positive feedback from you guys. good point about setups too if you could bring one that would be very useful.

If you wanted me to run the Brawl section for you I'd be more than happy to

3 Stock
8 Minute Time Limit
No Items
Advanced Slob picks.

Random
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

These are the rules we've been using at in the NW if that helps any
Yea i dont want to interfere with rulings, so if these rules have been agreed upon by the community then i'm very happy to use them too. Though as the events will all happen at different times i'm quite happy to run the brackets as i have a decent amount of experience doing so and as i probably wont enter/ wont get very far in brawl it will give me something to do.

Yosh- i personally vote that all Brawl NW decisions are to be made by SMudge and Aiko (obv coey must agree obv obv)

also Smudge- make it your responsibilty that all brawl players know of this =)

AAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDD

Joe's 3 predictions.

1. I'll never lose at melee

2. Me and coey will never be beaten in teams

3. I'll beat over 50% of the brawl players at their own game

Joe <3 x

dissprove these and get a prize ^__^ ROFL

we still need to here from:-

Zero
Solid Pit
Brado
Ryuken
Trio

anyone else?

on a side note i was talking to Ant and he was saying lotsa bish about certain things that unless sorted may lead to conflicting events =o.

He doesnt wanna use gamerbase anymore because me wants to run melee as such he was gonna hire a hall or something. As you can see the two interelate rofl.
i think number 2 is the most likely tbh mate ;) number 1 just doesn't seem realistic now does it :p

also i only plan to use one weekend a month so ant has the other 3 at his disposal hehe.

a few last points. firstly i dont have a setup of brawl, my wii is broke, my american version and feeloader are broke, i dont have any setups is what im trying to get across lol. any one who could bring one will have my eternal love. can anyone please let me know on this?

next i'm interested in running teams on top of singles obv this will be down to the day with time constraints etc but i see no reason if we are only running brackets why we wont have time. anyone interested?

finally will anyone be wanting a pot, that is to say prize money for any of the events? on a similar note i will probably have to charge like 50p or a quid or summat for venue just because of electricity, my house mates arent happy for this to happen unless i can cover it. i'm sure that wont be much of a problem just letting you know in advance.

thanks for all the feedback so far guys, keep it coming!!!

Will

x

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
You can more or less confirm me Joe if quite a few Brawlers are gonna turn up, obviously i'll play Melee too just to give the winner more of a cash prize lol.

J03

Smash Master
haha, ive decided to play brawl, as long as it doesnt interfere with my melee game!, im not gonna learn matchups tbh, just gonna play my melee marth in brawl rofl, see what happens xD

seeing as my marth is about 2 years behind my fox and everyone is struggling vs foxy, playing my marth is only fair xD

Tamoo

Smash Master
cool coey, if you just give me instructions for getting from the manchester coach station to bolton, I can probs make my own way, and maybe someone can come and pick me up when i arrive in bolton?? just for the 1st time ofc
and once a month sounds great, give me something to look forward to during work
Ill be happy to bring a wii, and ill bring melee and brawl with that
And teams sounds awesome, if it can get done in time.
Venue fee is cool, and pot would be pretty jokes too, if it doesnt affect people entering and **** like that
when abouts dyou reckon 19th is gonna be confirmed, cos id like to book asap

and if doubles does happen, anybody wanna team with a **** jiggs? :)

COEY

Smash Lord
19th is confirmed. I've spoke to my house mates about it and it's all good to go. Oh and i appreciate the setup, cheers dude.

i believe Jo3 is going to be meeting people in Manchester because quite a few people will need to know the way. If you arrival time doesnt sync up with when he plans to meet with everyone in manchester then i will sort you with directions mate. Manchester Piccadilly is really close to the coach station, and i will personally meet you in Bolton if it's needed :)

Lastly i'm sure if we run teams someone will team with you on the day if you can't find a partner beforehand.

J03

Smash Master
Tamoo: Book asap, you can arrive anytime on the saturday but the earlier the better as we can chill at mine before heading off if is early (i live close to manc piccadilly station). Also post your arrival time and well try to organise any otehr pick ups around that time.

Im more then happy to pick you up from the coach station, its no hassle.

Lastly, i have some space at my flat which im happy to offer to anyone travelling in they need it. basically if you wanna come down on the friday and travel to wills on the saturday its an option.

oh and do you play melee or brawl? if melee ill happily MM you, i dont have much money but i dont mind making some =)

Tamoo

Smash Master
K good stuff coey

and ok yeah ill probs book tonight or tomorrow, book the cheapest possible so that may mean me coming in on friday so i might take you up on your offer joe

and melee ofc lol, although i still do keep a place in my heart for brawl for introducing me to melee :p. MM should be fun, prof said i could beat aiko but not you so i wanna see the comp up there :)

Smudge

Smash Lord
19th sounds good to me, I'll keep in touch with Joe via text about this.

The rules seem to be the generic standard across the board for Brawl, so the'y're the best ones to go for.

Me and Ant are looking for somewhere in the Stockport region to how the Manc Ranbats from now on, not sure about that, will have to talk to him about it.

I can bring a set up if needed.

I may enter Melee, but only if the Melee players are willing to return the favour and enter Brawl, only seems fair.

AmcD

Smash Ace
I'll have to let you know if I can make this over the next week.
I'll prob come on the friday Joe so leave a place for me thanks =)

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice
No it dosen't, your diddy *****, the last time we played you nearly won me. SOME INTENSE MATCHES.

Will teams be introduce in these ranbats?

J03

Smash Master
cool, coey get a confirmed list on the go =).

Alan and Tamoo: you 2 both have reserved spots at my house for the friday night.

for everyone else its first come first serve although peeps who are travelling will get priority ( 1-2 spots left, more then 4 is pushing it)

PS. Falco is currently my weakest matchup, anyone who has a falco should play it because i needs teh practise =).

Also can everyone please think more, i mean everyone, theres not a single NW player who hasnt got huge holes in their game (i dont consider myself an excpetion). I plan to make the NW a formidle smash machine. Everyones edge play is generally poor and we all choke underpressure, lets work on this peeps!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for teams: with any event singles takes priority, we also have melee and brawl to run. However people underestimate the value of teams and how it can contribute to make you a better player overall. As such we'll make sure teams happens =).

Also with a small turnout its best to run a round robin but as there looks to be 10+ at this event perhaps a tournament set up will be best, itll come down to the day obv and how will is feeling. Teams however shall be a double elimination bracket.

Aiko

Smash Champion
not sure if i can make it, will confirm nearer the time.

As a side note, theres nothing wrong with Will running this, as I havent got anything sorted yet.

I'm sure me and Will can agree on something, when I get a hall. Atm im still looking for one thats affordable and in a better location. Bolton can offer housing, something I definitely cant do, so its a big plus.

COEY

Smash Lord
If i'm running 4 events then theres not a chance of round robin. I was never looking at running a round robin, i am very much trying to base alot of this off what charles is already doing in london. pools are a possibility for singles (probably 2 small pools into an 8 man bracket if there is enough entrants) but just bog standard double elimination for teams, which hopefully wont be too time consuming as the number of teams is never going to be more than half the number of entrants for singles.

also i know i didnt say exactly when and where housing is available, but i'm quite happy to house on the friday night if you want to get all your travelling all done with at once. i also have alot more space and bigger sofa's to boot!

Tamoo

Smash Master
my msn is tamaocameron@hotmail.com

and looking into this, i reckon train's gonna be cheaper for me so ill probs book train tickets tonight.

youngpersons railcard is a lifesaver lol, just took about 15 quid off of my journey :)

Coey, will I be able to stay overnight at your place after the tournament? Or anyone else in manchester?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
my msn is tamaocameron@hotmail.com

and looking into this, i reckon train's gonna be cheaper for me so ill probs book train tickets tonight.

youngpersons railcard is a lifesaver lol, just took about 15 quid off of my journey :)

Coey, will I be able to stay overnight at your place after the tournament? Or anyone else in manchester?
young persons railcard is pretty much a must have. I used to live in Liverpool and the amount I saved because of it was a lifesaver

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
tamoo get on msn, I might book with you guys (£10 megabus coach, 2/3 people only costs 40/60p more each)
I'm not sure if I can come to this, I want to but the date is sooo far to tell and I dunno if I should ask you to book for me lol.
Is there any chance of the price going up quick soon Fuzzy?

If I do come to this I will be pretty dominant in melee thought tbh, that's if Charles goes CF lol :)....

Top Bottom