• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zelda vs Pit

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
This is one of those matchups where you can just straight away forget about playing defensively as he'll spam the life out of you. If you want to win you'll have to try to approach all the time and to stay just out of Pit's range. Don't think you can reflect the arrows, either: he'll just curve them just before hitting you. It's best just to perfect shield them.

If he ever needs to use his wings make sure to make good use of the situation and either punish him hard or gimp him. If you can't reach him in time (can happen with Zelda) you can still try to get a hit with Din's fire. Whenever he uses the Angel ring SDI away from him to get out and punish with F-tilt if you have time since it'll hit right through the move when spaced correctly. Remember to let go of the control stick and re-adjust your aim if he uses his shield on the beginning hitbox of FW.

Also remember that Usmash is amazing at the early percents. Due to Pits short and slow midair jumps it's possible to get multiple Usmashes to hit him in a row and maybe even finish it up with Nair before he can really do anything.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Theres only one thing I know about this matchup

Pit's jab is annoying as hell.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
If ever a match-up was stage specific . . .

chances are pit will win on his CP and you'll win on yours, so you'd better win on the neutral.

that or lrn2play sheik.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Theres only one thing I know about this matchup

Pit's jab is annoying as hell.
Practice DI, haha.
I think DI is really important to this match up. Pit's FSmash can be DIed, so watch out for that if he tries to kill you.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Practice DI, haha.
I think DI is really important to this match up. Pit's FSmash can be DIed, so watch out for that if he tries to kill you.
Just out of curiosity, if you DI out, can a stutter step Din's hit Pit while he's jabbing, cus his jab has some pretty massive cooldown, but none of Zelda's moves can seem to have the range to acctually hit him, just clank in my experience. Does ftilt go through?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Sweet avatar zeldspazz. :)

Watch out for Pit's jab canceled combos and his rapid jab. I've only fought one or two Pits so far, but when you are at kill %s, the Pit will usually try and finish you off with a forward smash or a sweet spot back air. So watch out for those. Especially the back air if you are not expecting it. It has surprising knock back if you haven't played too many Pits before.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Sweet avatar zeldspazz. :)

Watch out for Pit's jab canceled combos and his rapid jab. I've only fought one or two Pits so far, but when you are at kill %s, the Pit will usually try and finish you off with a forward smash or a sweet spot back air. So watch out for those. Especially the back air if you are not expecting it. It has surprising knock back if you haven't played too many Pits before.
Thanks :D Pit's like to string jab>Fsmash together, so yeah thats good to note. Bair is actually pretty easy to avoid, however, I've been mindgamed. They can take one jump above you, bait a Usmash, and then I've been hit with a FF bair or WoI FF bair. It hurts.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Just out of curiosity, if you DI out, can a stutter step Din's hit Pit while he's jabbing, cus his jab has some pretty massive cooldown, but none of Zelda's moves can seem to have the range to acctually hit him, just clank in my experience. Does ftilt go through?
If you mean his multihit jab combo (the one where he spins his swords in front of him) then both Ftilt and jab can hit him through it.

It's also possible to Din him if you can SDI out fast enough and activate Din's fire before even hitting the ground.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Is there some specific reason we shouldn't?

Obviously Pit isn't going to use his rapid jab combo a lot (if at all) and it doesn't matter much in the MU but I still see no harm in talking about it as long as what we say is true.

Afropony

Smash Lord
If you're not quick enough at DI'ing out of rapid jab then it's likely the Pit will try and Dtilt right out of it. Dtilt will put you up in the air which I'm guessing for Zelda is not a very good position.

If you see Pit glide when trying to recover above the stage then it's fairly easy to hit with Din's, if they just jump back or glide lower down then it's unlikely you'll hit them.

Player 2 I don't know why you don't use Pit's jab, it's one of his best moves.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think pit's most annoying move is utilt it comes out really fast and will put you in a pretty bad position. This is most likely pits best move. I think on low percentage they can utilt>utilt. The utilt can also be followed up with an uair. You have to be able to power shield his arrows they can also be quite a nuisance. If you do get in close dsmash or dtilt will most likely be your best bet. Up smash is also good for Zelda on low percentages because it will normally lead into a second one. Pit's best kill move is bair so watch out for that. If he's on the ledge he can like ledge drop bair. He has multiple jumps and will either try to go off stage or just shoot arrows at you. Save your Double jump you don't want to be in a Position where he's just tagging your FW and just putting you in worst position. Watch how he recovers if he tries to glide back from up high I'd go for an uair. If he's going for the ledge just Din at him. Try to force him to use his jobs and force him to use his up B . If he approaches you try not to get baited into doing a laggy attack.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I think pit's most annoying move is utilt it comes out really fast and will put you in a pretty bad position. This is most likely pits best move. I think on low percentage they can utilt>utilt. The utilt can also be followed up with an uair. You have to be able to power shield his arrows they can also be quite a nuisance. If you do get in close dsmash or dtilt will most likely be your best bet. Up smash is also good for Zelda on low percentages because it will normally lead into a second one. Pit's best kill move is bair so watch out for that. If he's on the ledge he can like ledge drop bair. He has multiple jumps and will either try to go off stage or just shoot arrows at you. Save your Double jump you don't want to be in a Position where he's just tagging your FW and just putting you in worst position. Watch how he recovers if he tries to glide back from up high I'd go for an uair. If he's going for the ledge just Din at him. Try to force him to use his jobs and force him to use his up B . If he approaches you try not to get baited into doing a laggy attack.
if you are cowering in fear of pit's utilt, you are doing something wrong. . . something horribly, horribly wrong.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Cus Pit's utilt isnt even that great of a move, its got such horrible horizontal range.
Fsmash, arrows, bair, and maybe jab dsmash are the moves to look out for imo.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You guys never told me that u were discussing Pit >.<

Well actually I do have a question.
You see, I have a document which will hold ALL of Pit's matchups, and I do kinda need Zelda's "Point-of-view" of the matchup.

This is the current progress that I have for this matchup in the document, in quotes:

"Matchup: Zelda
Intro: You're going to run in a bit of trouble against Zelda. She isn't to be underestimated, even with some of her "limitations" in battle. In fact, some of her moves can limit Pit's approaches as well.

Zelda outranges Pit slightly, but that "slightly" will still benefit Zelda and will give Pit some approaching problems. Her Fsmash is one example.

Both characters have reflectors and projectiles. Pit's reflectors really dont have much use since they can't send the Din's Fire back at Zelda, even though they could save u from taking damage.

Pit should NOT approach Zelda from above. Her U-tilt and Usmash are capable of shutting out Pit's aerial approaches, including glide attacks at the right time.
Pit really should NOT glide as a means to recover, for Zelda can stop Pit with her Din's Fire, and with that projectile's expanding blast radius, that's more the reason Pit should not glide. This could KO you if you're close to the blast boundaries, too. As stated before, Zelda's U-tilt and Usmash can stop a gliding Pit as well. This can discourage a Pit from ever gliding in this matchup.

The way to get to Zelda is do what a Zelda wants to do to you, which is to get you to be above her. Use your variety of moves that can get Zelda into the air. Those moves are the following:
D-tilt, U-tilt, Usmash, D-throw, U-throw, D-air.
You may not use all of these moves due to Zelda's range keeping u at a distance. Look for a sudden opening, then try to get her in the air. Pit's U-air is a dominating factor once she's above you. She really has just about no choice but to air dodge since her D-air doesn't have the priority to beat Pit's U-air, especially if Pit's at an angle.

Once you get Zelda off stage, she is limted. Shoot arrows, but remember that Zelda can use her reflector. Do keep in mind that when Zelda uses her reflector, she is usually more prone to a counter attack after using Up-B since she drops down a bit, unless using her Love Jump AT.
The Love Jump AT is very similar to Lucas' Zap Jump, except Zelda rises a bit, probably as high as an average jump.
There is also another AT similar to the Love Jump, except instead of neutral B, it's Zelda's Up-B. Zelda's Up-B will get a slight height and horizontal boost, performed by the same manner as the Love Jump.
You can edgehog her if her recovery gets her to the ledge, or if she's right below the platform and has to go straight up to recover. Like Wolf's Up-B, Zelda's Up-B won't let her move for about a second right after she appears from teleporting, If she ends up passing the ledge, Zelda will still have quite some landing lag. Try getting to her before she can move. If not, the best you could probably do is shoot an arrow at her.

If you're off stage, you are simply and most likely will have to see a Din's Fire. You really should not glide to recover because of that projectile. You can try and airdodge it, then shoot arrows, depending on the distance you are from the stage and Zelda."

As you can see, I do need more info, including stage CPs/Bans. So any of you nice Zeldas with some Pit experience don't mind helping me out with this?

U can contact me via PM or AIM (AIM recommended) for more details. Also, hopefully, some of the info that I have up there can help. I do main Pit and have used Zelda a bit before, so that's all I have for now.
I'll appreciate ur help a lot ^_^

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Cus Pit's utilt isnt even that great of a move, its got such horrible horizontal range.
Fsmash, arrows, bair, and maybe jab dsmash are the moves to look out for imo.
I disagree i think his best OOS option and they can do it after a spot dodge. It also pokes through platforms where his upsmash will miss. Also I could be wrong about this but I don't think that the hit box is a bad as pit's upsmash.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Her Fsmash is one example.
Fsmash has decent range and is useful as a general spacing tool and against blocking approaches. The problem is that Zelda will be forced to approach in this matchup because of the arrows.

Both characters have reflectors and projectiles. Pit's reflectors really dont have much use since they can't send the Din's Fire back at Zelda, even though they could save u from taking damage.
Zelda's reflector is no better. It would be nice if you could hole it down like Fox's or Wolf's, but Zelda's is too slow and suffers from lag of epic proportions.

The Love Jump AT is very similar to Lucas' Zap Jump, except Zelda rises a bit, probably as high as an average jump.
The Love Jump was more of a joke AT that the Zelda boards invented. Does it work? Yeah. Is it viable? Not really. But I have to admit that it's very funny.

As you can see, I do need more info, including stage CPs/Bans. So any of you nice Zeldas with some Pit experience don't mind helping me out with this?
Platforms are Zelda's friend. She can camp underneath them fairly well. Zelda excels at no "real" CP stage, so most of the time Zelda players will probably stick to neutrals. (unless Mansion is legal in your area) That usually means Battlefield, since Yoshi's is a pain since it screws with Zelda's recovery and spacing. Banning Battlefield is my recommendation, and counterpicking FD against her is a good idea.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
And I'm sure people actually want to win.
You said it your self platforms are here friend 95% of that stage is platforms. Increased chance of dtilt>bair. stage makes it harder for jectile whores to ***** jectiles. Zelda can force approaches because of Din's. The ship is extremely small which benefits Zelda. The pendelum has a type of ceiling which means up smash *****. Even if they tech it there's limited places for them to go. Utilt at the top of the stage LoL. Bairs on the edges off the stage.

You may say something about her recovery but i've only had trouble recovering at the pendelum or going somewhere before the stage appears.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Legendary we can discuss the viability of this stage in the stage thread or the counterpick thread! Unless this ties in with the Pit Matchup?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Let's go back to helping me out with my document on the Pit v Zelda matchup >.<

That actually reminds me.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206886
However, according to our OLD matchup CP/Ban thingy here.... (we really gotta update that)

Our CPs against you is Norfair and Lylat, and your CP against us is Brinstar and Mansion. Well forget the list for the most part.

Take a Pit to Yoshi's Island (Brawl). That is his worst neutral. Unlike BF, SV, or FD, this stage won't allow Pit to fly under the stage, and therefore weakens Pit's recovery options. At the same time, Shy guys can block his arrows, where your projectile is unaffected by this. Tbh, I can't be more specific than this. It's really straight forward.

Also I am not sure but the tilting platform could probably help your Usmash and U-tilt if Pit is on there on the lowered portion of that platform.

Now I need more Zelda data
From my first post, my question still applies, contact me if u can >_<

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Yoshi's is not bad for zelda.... but most of us seem to hate it. Not sure why.

SV is small, so pit can't camp from as far away, which is nice, and battlefield is just good for us. I say our worst neutral against you is FD.

Brinstar is still good for the matchup.

Luigi's mansion is EXCEPTIONAL for the matchup, but it's rarely legal anymore.

Side note: I want to actually see Al getting ***** by a utilt spamming pit..... it would make me feel so good.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yoshi's is not bad for zelda.... but most of us seem to hate it. Not sure why.

SV is small, so pit can't camp from as far away, which is nice, and battlefield is just good for us. I say our worst neutral against you is FD.

Brinstar is still good for the matchup.

Luigi's mansion is EXCEPTIONAL for the matchup, but it's rarely legal anymore.

Side note: I want to actually see Al getting ***** by a utilt spamming pit..... it would make me feel so good.
Or I could **** you with my utilt spamming Pit.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
YI is worse for Pit than it is for Zelda, regardless, so since Mansion would pretty much be banned, learn to get used to YI. Keep in mind that some Pits may ban YI, but he needs to choose wisely considering how YI is a neutral.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
YI is worse for Pit than it is for Zelda, regardless, so since Mansion would pretty much be banned, learn to get used to YI. Keep in mind that some Pits may ban YI, but he needs to choose wisely considering how YI is a neutral.
No Zelda player is going to CP Yoshi's Island, let alone against a character that so clearly outcamps Zelda. Yoshi's Island is Zelda's worst neutral (although FD is probably the worst in this matchup) and is often a CP against her. Yoshi's Island doesn't cripple Pit nearly enough for Zelda to be able to take him there.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Maybe I should finally respond to some things here... >_<

If you're not quick enough at DI'ing out of rapid jab then it's likely the Pit will try and Dtilt right out of it. Dtilt will put you up in the air which I'm guessing for Zelda is not a very good position.
If the Pit player is going by muscle memory this can be used against him by SDI'ing up and away and activating reverse Din's glide. It'll slow down Zelda's fall speed and get her far enough to avoid Dtilt and attack with Din.

This can discourage a Pit from ever gliding in this matchup.
Don't completely count out the glide attack, though. Since it has a very different hitbox than Pit's Fair and Bair it can surprise Zelda when she gets in the air to land LK or Nair. It's also possible to Bait Fsmash with glide attack if you know Zelda is prone to throw them out at your close-to-ground approaches.

Pit's U-air is a dominating factor once she's above you. She really has just about no choice but to air dodge since her D-air doesn't have the priority to beat Pit's U-air, especially if Pit's at an angle.
Also don't forget Nair when juggling her. It has a lower hitbox than Uair and lasts for a long time, so it can eat her airdodges if she's prepared for Uair. It can also be used to go through her shorthopped Nair approaches if she's ever trying to use them.

I disagree i think (Utilt is) his best OOS option and they can do it after a spot dodge.
If you're spacing yourself correctly as Zelda it should never hit you OOS. In fact, it should almost never hit you in any situation. The move is fast but it's range simply can't compete with Zelda's.

take him to RC he can't ledgecamp no more thats like 80% of his game.
Pit's ledgecamp is only a problem when he's in the lead so, as usually with Zelda, it's inportant to avoid that. Because of this it's usually a good idea to stay active and aggressive whenever possible throughout the match, since it'll allow you to catch up with revenge KOs if necessary.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
The uneven terain of YI is normally a good thing for zelda. And, when shy-guys are out, feel free to use Din's without fear of an arrow in return.

Basically, Zeldas, just learn not to hug the edge when you fall. That way the wall won't eat Farore's and there will literally be no problem with this stage at all.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I get the feeling this thread is a little inconclusive... please contribute so we can move on!

Top Bottom