• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blog of the Week: The Educational System is near useless..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Link to original post: [drupal=2577]The Educational System is near useless..[/drupal]

For anyone who knows me, they'd expect this to be about something else. But guess what? It's not about that.

I've come to the realization that the internet, for the most part, completely eliminates the need for most of the educational system.

I ask, what is the difference between having 50 states memorized - and being able to find a list of all 50 states and read it aloud?

Why is it important I know what something is from memory, that I will most likely never need to know in my life - if I can just Google it and find the answer? The education system was created the way it is, far before any amount of information could literally be at your fingertips. So is it thus, that it is outdated? We have the internet on cell phones, laptops, and computers. You can search for anything you'd need to know, and with the simple skill of being able to research a little (mostly to tell fact from fiction) you could find your answer.

Why is it we must memorize the information, when we can have it stored and being able to be called at any time that we would need it?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
1st veiw/post haha F*** the world haha will read in a sec I just wanted to laugh.

Wisedom to me is understanding what you know. If you you Don't really know anything how could one be wise? And if so bring in the robots to do everything as we slip into a state of boring. And creavite is putting 2 things together and if you don't learn anything how can you put it together?

Really it could cause the stop of evoletion for people. The info is there but you can read faster out of a book than a pomputer it's fact. so book wise it wins.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What happens when you're in the middle of the forest, with no electronic device because maybe you got robbed, and to get out of said forest, you are to recite the 50 States of the United States (this is ludicrous I know, but go with it)?

Where is your God now?

SuSa

I'm not saying it's pointless to memorize.

But they have us learn facts that honestly, if you ever truly needed them. The internet should be able to help you.

The things you DO NEED to memorize *coughs* like survival skills to survive in a forest long enough to get out alive *coughs* aren't things taught in school.

EDIT:
You can read faster out of a book then out of a computer? For some reason I doubt that....

Also I am not saying you aren't learning, but you aren't memorizing things that are of no use. I agree with the educational system up to about the 7th grade. Then it just gets stupid.

Last I checked, an invention wasn't made because someone memorized what 12x13x2094 was.

Browny

Smash Hater
wow ok youre looking at this COMPLETELY the wrong way

school isnt about memorising things, its about teaching you ways to adapt and solve lifes problems when they hit you.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
SuSa just won the thread....
Seriously.
I'd say History Class is pretty near useless, due to this.
Especially Geography. That is the most useless bull**** ever.
What's the point of memorizing what the countries look like? Thats what a map is for.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
If I started talking about hitler I know 5 of you would jump in and be like he was bad guy. History is neat and many people are the reason why you are here today you should respect that

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Seriously.
What's the point of memorizing what the countries look like? Thats what a map is for.
God you have no idea what the purpose of school is.

I just @#$%ing said it, What the Hell will you do if you don't have something at hand?

Do you even know which way is north without looking at a compass?

Or I hope you won't get in trouble for copyright infringement/look ******** by inviting a light you can put out on the street to guide vehicl-

OH WAIT! THAT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE, DERP!!

SuSa

school isnt about memorising things, its about teaching you ways to adapt and solve lifes problems when they hit you.
No. It does not teach to adapt or solve life problems.

You know what teaches you to adapt?
Actually having a ****ing brain. You can work things out without being told HOW to do it. This is applied especially in Math. After you learn the basics (about 7th-8th grade) you can use what you know to solve most any problem. Need to know a specific thing? I don't think that complex of a problem can be done in your head anyways - so you'd need a resource. Internet seems to be about as common as a calculator. Need to do it by hand? Well, now I'm wondering why you need to do a complex math equation in the first place...

I was asked to memorize the quadratic formula. Did I? Nope, not at all. But when I was given the problem, was I able to do it?

I was the first one done in my class, and I had been reading a book while the rest of the class was instructed on how to solve the problem.

/math example

Oh, and having to recite the Preamble in 5th grade didn't seem to help me adapt or solve problems.

Seriously.
History is arguably one of the few useful classes.

If you do not know your history, you'll simply remake a past mistake.

People not knowing history is why you often times see the same mistakes over and over. You learn through error and failures, just because those failures were made by your ancestors doesn't mean you can't learn from them.

Geography is rather bull****. :s I won't argue against that. Hahahaha.

If I started talking about hitler I know 5 of you would jump in and be like he was bad guy. History is neat and many people are the reason why you are here today you should respect that
I love history, finally in my 11th year of school. I've always hated it.

EDIT:
@Kinzer
Without using history/geography, I can use Astrology to find which ways North. So what's your argument again?

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion

Like if you're going on a diet, and you want to watch what you eat. You need to know what that stuff on the food labels means, and what stuff is in the food.

You wouldn't want to eat something that's been ***** with sodium and then a doctor has to treat you everyday cause you got some sort of dehydration or cancer problem.

I gotta admit, learning SOME of the stuff in geography is bull**** pointless, but what about traveling. You need to apply latitude and longitude to how far you go in certain directions.:sonic:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... -_-

Have I gotten myself into?

Right now I'm in a house/enclosed area. My window blinds are shut, so if I were right now being asked to find a direction, WTF do I do there? And for the integrity of the challenge, I'm NOT in front of my computer.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I said somewhere noit here but somewhere I said Philosophy should be a common class to open mind so they won't be the retarted people you hear about and you go aww why would they lauch a missle at the moon aww.

SuSa

Okay, so I learned (in 7th-8th grade mind you) how my body works, and what's bad to intake and blah blah blah.

Most people can't even tell you what Taurine is. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine )

After learning how your body works (which, if I remember my earliest class I can remember learning that stuff was 5th? grade. Maybe 4th, maybe 6th...) is it that hard to search "is ___ bad for body"? If you care about what's in your food that much (it shouldn't take a genius to figure out eating junk food only for every day and every meal for months would be healthy. You can PHYSICALLY see changes, and you can feel the changes in your body compared to your history) Does that stop people eating nothing but fast food all the time? Nope. Were they educated? Most likely.

Just because you know about it doesn't mean you care as well....

Also, I've yet needed to know latitude/longitude. In fact, my teacher admitted that'd be rather useless for most job fields when she was teaching it.

@Kinzer
Open your blinds and look outside. -_-

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...@#$% it, I don't care to debate this anymore.

On one hand, I agree with you, the internet is such a @#$% useful tool to help me incase I get lost.

But on the other hand, there are some things that NEED to me memorized.

Where do I draw the line!?!

SuSa

At about 7th grade, give or take a grade depending on how it was redone.

But you have to admit, I was right.

PS:
Please find North in a pitch black encasement with no exit. You wouldn't be able to, no matter how much **** you learned. <_< Unless you just.. KNOW where North is.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
you learn more at school than you could ever learn on the internet. You can't google social skills....

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Or can I...?

Aren't forums just a couple of people discussing a certain subject (and then some)?

SuSa

No, but I can step outside my god**** house and go to the mall.

I was on independent study for 8 months. I taught myself things, did the homework assigned to me, and got more. I had 1 week for the mass of work they'd hand me.

I'd finish it in 1 day, and spend the other 6 learning what I want and going about town.

Compare that to the education system of today? That takes 8~+ hours out of 5 days to teach roughly that same amount?

The way most classes are taught, the student doesn't really need to think. Give them scenarios and questions where they actually have to THINK to answer them. What happens? It turns into my History class, where 80% of the class is failing and the other 20% have C's, B's, and A's based on their different levels of being able to think and reason. And we don't want that, because then people would never graduate. Hahahaha.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't bring myself to read all the arguments because I've got to hurry up, gotta go to bed.

SuSa, you don't know how much I agree with you when it comes to school. Your 7th grade should be about my 3rd year of highschool, I think. Which makes a lot of sense because most of what we learn afterward is simply for specific jobs. And yet, we don't get to choose our classes entirely until Uni...

@Manny: Man, I've already told you about the history thing. I've even quoted Chuck Palahniuk to prove you wrong :embarrass...

you learn more at school than you could ever learn on the internet. You can't google social skills....
Some people get social skills only when they finally get a job. Weird, huh?
It's not thanks to school, it's thank to the fact that we're all being forced to gather at the same places.
And if school was only up to 7th grade, a normal person (if I can even define what's normal) should get social skills by then.

I said somewhere noit here but somewhere I said Philosophy should be a common class to open mind so they won't be the retarted people you hear about and you go aww why would they lauch a missle at the moon aww.
As classes, it's a bad idea. People normally just fall asleep and ****s.

Browny

Smash Hater
SuSa you gotta look at the bigger picture here

School/uni is SO MUCH MORE than memorising random crap. Im finishing an engineering degree at uni, ive learnt thousands of equations that not only will i likely never use, in a real life situation, we will almost always be expected to consult a text book, no one expects you to remember them. sooo many graduates in a real job all say the same thing, employers dont care if you can memorise anything. whats important is the PROCESS. the act of finishing a degree with worth A LOT more than what you remember during that time.

Finishing school is NOT an indication that you can memorise maps of the world and tell me who Attila the Hun was, it is proving that you have the determination and willpower to stick things out to the end and you can do it by yourself. Telling an employer that if you put your mind to it, you can and will acheive whatever you set out to do to the best of your ability is much more favourable than saying 'ill just look it up on the net'.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Well, that's why a lot of schools (like mine) are teaching how to access information efficiently. It's been pounded into my head how to efficiently search the internet for reliable sources of information.

But surely you must understand how this cannot work for everything, right? I can look up how to do certain math equations, for example, and I may be able to get a problem solved, but I probably wont understand how it works. Having a professional who can answer your questions makes learning infinitely more efficient.

Be honest, do you think you would know half the things you know if it were up to you to learn it? If you never had a teacher, and you were to teach yourself everything through the internet, do you honestly believe that you would be just as knowledgeable in multiple subjects?

I know there's the whole argument "well if I'm going to be a historian, I don't need to know math." Well, I agree and I don't agree. Yes, you don't need to know it, but if everyone was only knowledgeable in one topic, we would all become space monkeys. We all push our respective buttons, turn our knobs, pull our levers, and have no idea how anything else works. That doesn't fly for me.

I'm honestly insulted that you think I have not been taught to think. Seriously, school has taught me to be a critical thinker.

SuSa

Which is why I hate society.

If you want to prove someone has the determination and willpower to stick something out, there are more ways then wasting a good 3rd or 4th of their life giving them (rather useless) facts then asking them to use maybe 3% of what they actually learned for the rest of their life.

Technically, 30,000 is 0 times larger then 0. No matter what you multiply 0 by, it's 0.

Although it is 30,000 times larger then 1.

EDIT:
I spent my life teaching myself, and gathering information from a resource. (Honestly, can you tell me that anything a teacher says cannot be written and placed on the internet?)

Bad argument IMO.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
SuSa you gotta look at the bigger picture here

School/uni is SO MUCH MORE than memorising random crap. Im finishing an engineering degree at uni, ive learnt thousands of equations that not only will i likely never use, in a real life situation, we will almost always be expected to consult a text book, no one expects you to remember them. sooo many graduates in a real job all say the same thing, employers dont care if you can memorise anything. whats important is the PROCESS. the act of finishing a degree with worth A LOT more than what you remember during that time.

Finishing school is NOT an indication that you can memorise maps of the world and tell me who Attila the Hun was, it is proving that you have the determination and willpower to stick things out to the end and you can do it by yourself. Telling an employer that if you put your mind to it, you can and will acheive whatever you set out to do to the best of your ability is much more favourable than saying 'ill just look it up on the net'.
Twenty times this.

In all honesty SuSa, just wait until you get into college. Your opinion may change drastically from this.

I'm not saying it's pointless to memorize.

But they have us learn facts that honestly, if you ever truly needed them. The internet should be able to help you.

The things you DO NEED to memorize *coughs* like survival skills to survive in a forest long enough to get out alive *coughs* aren't things taught in school.

EDIT:
You can read faster out of a book then out of a computer? For some reason I doubt that....

Also I am not saying you aren't learning, but you aren't memorizing things that are of no use. I agree with the educational system up to about the 7th grade. Then it just gets stupid.

Last I checked, an invention wasn't made because someone memorized what 12x13x2094 was.
Oh, and 12x13x2094=326664. And I so didn't use a calculator for that.
Don't believe me, get @ me on AIM.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Meh, I can understand where you're coming from if you're talking about history, but math, science, and reading/writing/grammer (even though english class is mostly useless after 9th grade), need to be taught.

Honestly, I think we could use more school and higher levels of learning. Waiting til like 9th grade to learn geometry and biology is pretty sad.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Which is why I hate society.

If you want to prove someone has the determination and willpower to stick something out, there are more ways then wasting a good 3rd or 4th of their life giving them (rather useless) facts then asking them to use maybe 3% of what they actually learned for the rest of their life.

Technically, 30,000 is 0 times larger then 0. No matter what you multiply 0 by, it's 0.

Although it is 30,000 times larger then 1.

EDIT:
I spent my life teaching myself, and gathering information from a resource. (Honestly, can you tell me that anything a teacher says cannot be written and placed on the internet?)

Bad argument IMO.
Yeesh, it just sounds to me like in your perfect world, no one would understand anything. We would all just spout out information without comprehending a single thing. A world filled with drones and morons. That thought is terrifying to me.

Did you not attend public school?
I'm not saying that anything a teacher says cannot be written on the internet. I'm saying that a teacher-student interaction cannot be replaced by the internet. Maybe, I guess, with some kind of live chat or video chat, but then that's just teaching anyway.

Ugh, I really need to get to bed, but...
"Not now! Someone is wrong on the internet!" :p

finalark

SNORLAX
When it comes down to education, I believe that if someone really wants to know something, they'll look it up on their own. Other than that, I think the educational system does a good job at giving guidelines to follow and teaching basics.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
You're not being serious... are you Susa? "The internet makes school worthless"? Laughable.

Passionate teachers are probably the most important people on this planet.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Well, really, I don't think SuSa saying that education should go up to 7th grade applies at all to jobs etc. I know he's really fond of entrepreneurship, so IMO he's not saying that you can get a job by saying you only finished middle-school, but that by 7th grade you basically have all the things memorized to continue on by yourself and learn things.

Correct me where I'm wrong on that, I'm trying to get at how SuSa is seeing things here.

And yeah, the time you spend at school is ridiculous. I'm not saying that as a rebellious student who hates learning and goes home to do whatever the heck he wants, but as a guy that gets his stuff done and understands everything they throw at me. Tomorrow, whenever you're at school next, just pay attention to how much of your day is just sitting there, or how much time you have after finishing a test, an assignment, or even doing work that you already understand. It's seriously insane how much time you just sit there and wait for the actual 1~2 hours that are actual learning.

SuSa

Meh, I can understand where you're coming from if you're talking about history, but math, science, and reading/writing/grammer (even though english class is mostly useless after 9th grade), need to be taught.

Honestly, I think we could use more school and higher levels of learning. Waiting til like 9th grade to learn geometry and biology is pretty sad.
Grammar

Glad English was useful for you.

SuSa

Well, really, I don't think SuSa saying that education should go up to 7th grade applies at all to jobs etc. I know he's really fond of entrepreneurship, so IMO he's not saying that you can get a job by saying you only finished middle-school, but that by 7th grade you basically have all the things memorized to continue on by yourself and learn things.

Correct me where I'm wrong on that, I'm trying to get at how SuSa is seeing things here.

And yeah, the time you spend at school is ridiculous. I'm not saying that as a rebellious student who hates learning and goes home to do whatever the heck he wants, but as a guy that gets his stuff done and understands everything they throw at me. Tomorrow, whenever you're at school next, just pay attention to how much of your day is just sitting there, or how much time you have after finishing a test, an assignment, or even doing work that you already understand. It's seriously insane how much time you just sit there and wait for the actual 1~2 hours that are actual learning.
Very much so, I phrased myself HORRIDLY.

I should be more clear, will be after I finish cooking dinner.

EDIT:
lol

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
the point of language is to get the message across, I dont see how being anal about spelling makes children into better adults.
I don't see how not giving a crap contributes to anything but the laziness of society.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
God you have no idea what the purpose of school is.

I just @#$%ing said it, What the Hell will you do if you don't have something at hand?

Do you even know which way is north without looking at a compass?

Or I hope you won't get in trouble for copyright infringement/look ******** by inviting a light you can put out on the street to guide vehicl-

OH WAIT! THAT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE, DERP!!
To me the education system blows is because I don't know how to find the north direction. but like tc says, we have the internet to save us all. The teach us some useful things but miss out on so much.

The only reason the system is like this to me is a way to get all the kids to "learn" in a controlled way. This can only work for so long. Perhaps after grade 7 it should be a semi controlled system. Where kids learn what they want to specialize in, reduce school hours and let them get a feel for the real world without going to college.

I dunno much about the topic, but those are my feelings

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I thought I was going to agree with this thread, but I was surprised.

I believe in the value of an education given to you by someone more experienced. Latent knowledge has a habit of creeping into your every day life and helping you with decisions. You can't google things that you don't know exist, which is why history and literature are especially important. If you heard a politician talking, and his policies seem to match the actions of some historical figure (say, for example, Obama's stimulus plans reminding me of FDR), you won't know that you should research said historical figure because you never had the knowledge to make the parallel in the first place. Had you only known, you would have been able to recognize effective, ineffective, and potentially dangerous philosophies and judge them with an informed schema.

This. Is. Crucial. This is how we make sure that we don't elect Hitler II.

As well as this: The internet can give you facts and figures, but it cannot teach you how to think and reason critically, which is something only a good teacher can do (notice I said "good". I am not saying anything about the effectiveness of any public ed. programs). Latent knowledge enriches your life. Ignorance is a hellish thing. The choice, in my opinion, is obvious.

I'll probably say some more stuff later.

SuSa

/EDIT
I already mentioned I believe a large portion of history is important. So you don't repeat the past's mistakes.

Thinking and reasoning critically.. I disagree with. I think a lot harder when a problem is presented to me that I do not know the answer to. I'll think about it for long periods of times, think of it in multiple ways. If unable to figure it out, I can find the answer. I then think about what I was doing wrong and why I hadn't reached that conclusion.

Most people lack the motivation, or even care to put that much work into it. Why? They were brought up with people spoon feeding them answers. <_<

/END EDIT
I hope TGK will not mind me posting this. I stopped it where I stopped it for a reason, tomorrow if I get permission to post the rest (it covers some of his more personal things, not for me to just hand out) then I will.

For anyone interested.

SuSaDuctTape (7:41:58 PM): Ok. I asked what invention was made like that.
SuSaDuctTape (7:42:01 PM): Not the answer.
tapblinky (7:42:41 PM): I know I just wanted to answer that's all :p
tapblinky (7:43:12 PM): And your opinion on education changes quite a bit when you move beyond high school
tapblinky (7:43:23 PM): It will, I promise--I'm living proof
SuSaDuctTape (7:43:29 PM): Except I have no plans for college. <_< Long story, don't feel to explain.
tapblinky (7:44:35 PM): Oh my What do you plan to do after you graduate then?
SuSaDuctTape (7:50:40 PM): I have $17,000 tucked away that I've earned. Going to start up a business.
tapblinky (7:51:51 PM): And you think that not knowing about management and things of that sort is going to help you out any?
tapblinky (7:51:57 PM): Btw what kind of business?
SuSaDuctTape (7:51:42 PM): I know how to manage things.
SuSaDuctTape (7:51:52 PM): And until me and my Dad start its foundation, I can't say. :x
SuSaDuctTape (7:52:20 PM): But heres a tip:
School never taught me how to manage a business.
SuSaDuctTape (7:52:22 PM):
tapblinky (7:53:00 PM): Universities can though
SuSaDuctTape (7:54:00 PM): I should have phrased my OP more along my beliefs.
SuSaDuctTape (7:54:12 PM): It seems people aren't bothering to read the entire thread to get the picture.
SuSaDuctTape (7:54:56 PM): I phrased it in such a way that all those getting degrees are getting mad at me.
SuSaDuctTape (7:54:59 PM): hahaahahha
SuSaDuctTape (7:55:01 PM): which is not what I meant
SuSaDuctTape (7:55:21 PM): The very specialization it takes to get a degree is the only use I see in education as an institution. hahahaha
tapblinky (7:56:54 PM): Think about it though
tapblinky (7:57:13 PM): What the OP is saying is that the internet can supplant teachers
tapblinky (7:57:23 PM): Or that's what I am reading
SuSaDuctTape (8:04:34 PM): I know
SuSaDuctTape (8:04:36 PM): Like I said
SuSaDuctTape (8:04:41 PM): I phrased it possibly the worst way possible
SuSaDuctTape (8:04:47 PM): (Oh, and internet CAN replace teachers...)
SuSaDuctTape (8:04:50 PM): How does a teacher teach?
SuSaDuctTape (8:04:53 PM): Through words or images.
SuSaDuctTape (8:04:56 PM): you can place both on the internet.
SuSaDuctTape (8:05:12 PM): What difference does adding a VOICE make? And you can have that on the internet as well.
tapblinky (8:07:32 PM): Apologies, went to the can
SuSaDuctTape (8:07:27 PM): Totally acceptable. :p Most people tend to use that from time to time.
tapblinky (8:08:27 PM): Anyways, the thing that you are forgetting about is the human experience that a good teacher can give that a computer never will
SuSaDuctTape (8:08:40 PM): I wouldn't understand that. : )
SuSaDuctTape (8:08:57 PM): Mostly because I'm independent of most other humans if I can choose to be.
SuSaDuctTape (8:09:12 PM): There is nothing I gain more from a teacher then I gain from teaching myself online.
SuSaDuctTape (8:09:23 PM): If I have a question, I can search to answer that as well.
SuSaDuctTape (8:09:27 PM): Sometimes its far more efficient.
SuSaDuctTape (8:09:36 PM): I don't spend 20 minutes with my hand raised to find the answer.
tapblinky (8:10:29 PM): Let me ask a question here...and if it is too personal or something, let me know
SuSaDuctTape (8:11:07 PM): Ask.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A voice's impact is immeasurable.

It's not that I'm being insulted since I'm currently at university, or that I believe it's impossible for someone to flourish without a traditional education - but it's just totally false to equate the living, breathing direction of a driven mentor to the use of the Google search box.

It's honestly ridiculously inferior.

Google can teach only via words and images.

A teacher can teach via words, images, hands-on-experience, and most importantly with genuine passion.

That's the key thing. You could spend hours upon hours browsing Wikipedia - learning dozens of subjects, but not one could catch you in the same way a passionate chemistry teacher would gleefully prancing across a chalkboard explaining a ferrous wheel. An online course on the French language would never immerse you as it could while inside a French classroom, speaking actual French, to an actual person using sockpuppets wearing berets.

The answer to a question is not the goal.

The mistakes and personal redirections made while trying to reach that answer is what real education is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom