• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blog of the Week: The Educational System is near useless..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Maybe I'll get a response this time.

Well of course it's hard to have the social aspect when you are anti-social. By this logic, a party isn't social because I can go to one and sit in a corner and read. In fact, nothing is social. I can just read books and never interact with anyone, ever. Life is not social. There is no such thing as social.

BTW - your school has snack time? SUPER JEALOUS! (Not sarcasm. I'm starving by lunch)

Okay, I have a question.

Suppose you are really interested in physics. You want to grow up and go somewhere in the field of physics. That is your passion. You want to learn more about physics. Let's suppose you had three options: the internet, a library, or a man who knows everything about physics. How do you chose to learn? Do you chose to go off on the internet and teach yourself, find a bunch of physics books, or interact and learn from a professional?
My point exactly. Things do not force you to be social, you choose to be social. It's why I despise people using the "but but social life!!!" argument. It's completely baseless.

Yah, we have a 10 minute break. We have block schedule. Class 1 (2 hours, 10 minutes), Tutorial. Class 2 (2 hours, 10 minutes). Lunch. Class 3 (2 hours, 10 minutes). Every other day is Class 4/5/6. (1-3-5, 2-4-6 for the periods)

I'd do both internet and library.

Just because the man knows everything doesn't mean he'd make a good teacher. ;)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I love the connection between school and social life that people make.

My only "social" aspect I get in school is... singing in choir?

I sit by myself in the morning, outside my class. I go into class - I read my book for 2 hours, don't even bother listening to the teacher.
I go to snack, I buy my food. I go to my next class, eat, and read for 2 more hours.
I go to lunch, buy my food, go to my next class. Eat. Might take a break from reading and just put my head down on a desk and sleep for 2 hours.
I then walk home.

School is only related to socializing because "it forces you to be around other people". Do you actually have to deal with them? Not really. At most, you only need to deal with your teachers. So long as you're passing your class, even that is minimal.
*sigh* You don't get it.

Connection between school and social life is the reason you have it. If you stay home, try to learn everything you know from a computer, search forums, etc, you're not going to get much out of it except more than likely biased opinions being put on the computer.

The Educational System IS useful.

We are taught in 4 core subjects because they all, in some way, correspond to one another.

You need English to know History.
History is involved in Math.
Math is needed with science.
Science comes from History.

With one just knowing History without knowing Science is basically useless considering what you see in a History book is more than likely seen in a Science book.

Regardless, if it's just choir that you consider a connection between school life and social life, you should know that you are more than likely going to be seeing the same people in your choir at the mall that you go to. If you see them, your more than likely going to say hello. After that, talk, etc, etc, and you've established a bit more social activity. So you NEED school to be able to socialize with anyone.

Actually I got lost my train of thought a bit. If I don't make sense tell me >_>

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You don't learn social skills at school. You learn anti social skills.
You learn how to hurt people
You learn how to put people down
You learn how to alienate people
You learn how to do everything you shouldn't do
You learn social skills by acting with people in a natural environment, not at school.
You learn prison skills in school.
The same things that make you popular in school make you popular in prison.

SuSa

*sigh* You don't get it.

Connection between school and social life is the reason you have it. If you stay home, try to learn everything you know from a computer, search forums, etc, you're not going to get much out of it except more than likely biased opinions being put on the computer.

The Educational System IS useful.

We are taught in 4 core subjects because they all, in some way, correspond to one another.

You need English to know History.
History is involved in Math.
Math is needed with science.
Science comes from History.

With one just knowing History without knowing Science is basically useless considering what you see in a History book is more than likely seen in a Science book.

Regardless, if it's just choir that you consider a connection between school life and social life, you should know that you are more than likely going to be seeing the same people in your choir at the mall that you go to. If you see them, your more than likely going to say hello. After that, talk, etc, etc, and you've established a bit more social activity. So you NEED school to be able to socialize with anyone.

Actually I got lost my train of thought a bit. If I don't make sense tell me >_>
You can get facts off the internet, just like you can from books. Everything else, even what your teacher tells you (I'll use my history teacher as an example) is biased and depends how they teach, and how you take it.

My History teacher says there are 2 types of historians. Those who believe POWER runs history, and those who believe MONEY/ECONOMICS runs history. From the way he teaches, power is directly linked to money anyways - so it should be the only way. But it's not.

If what you are reading in a History book is in your Science book, I question what classes you are taken. I've never had my History book tell me anything besides.. maybe the name Charles Darwin being mentioned briefly - and have it be in my Science book.

You need Math in Science only because of formulas. You could actually argue that Science is only a branch off of Math. Given all reactions have some sort of formula, and when it comes down to how things work - you can break it down into numbers.

I don't say hello to anyone. Again, your point is moot. If they say hi to me, it really depends if I feel like talking. Again, it comes down to me and how I feel. I choose to socialize. It's nothing that school does for me. Also you'd be surprised how often I've seen the same people at the mall. :p ( Mind you, I live 10 minutes from the beach.. so I'm not in some small town... I'm in Huntington Beach...)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
My point exactly. Things do not force you to be social, you choose to be social. It's why I despise people using the "but but social life!!!" argument. It's completely baseless.
Uh... I also chose to learn. I also chose to exist. I chose to do anything. You can't say that school isn't social because you chose to make it non-social. I can go to school and sleep all day, that doesn't mean education doesn't occur in school. I can just sit in my room and sleep all day every day, that doesn't mean the world around me doesn't exist.

Yah, we have a 10 minute break. We have block schedule. Class 1 (2 hours, 10 minutes), Tutorial. Class 2 (2 hours, 10 minutes). Lunch. Class 3 (2 hours, 10 minutes). Every other day is Class 4/5/6. (1-3-5, 2-4-6 for the periods)
My school uses block scheduling as well (except four classes a day, 1.5 hours, two semesters). I don't have snack time. :(
We have 10ish minutes between classes, but given the size of the buildings, and the fact that there are two buildings about 1/3 of a mile apart, we need all that time to get to class.
I want snack time. :mad:

I'd do both internet and library.

Just because the man knows everything doesn't mean he'd make a good teacher. ;)
I meant for you to assume that he is a good teacher. The best in fact.

I don't know if anyone here has been through the International Baccalaureate in high school (I am only a junior). The whole program focuses more analysis (perhaps even over analysis) from what some people call "fact drilling." It's important to ask how valuable a source is and the limitations of it for more complex issues. Maybe I'm answering the wrong thing here.

According to the syllabus, one objective of TOK is to help students "make sense of what they encounter", by learning to critically examine the reliability of sources of knowledge, to distinguish between good and poor reasoning, to spot intentional or accidental bias, and to identify inconsistencies.
This asks all these sorts of questions like "What is the reason for having historical knowledge, and how is it applied in life?" or "How do you know that the scientific method is a valid method of gaining knowledge?"

tl;dr How do you know googling up information makes the whole educational system invalid? What about for more complex things, how do you plan on analyzing the information presented to you ?

link to TOK overview page on wikipedia (somewhere a lot of people already look up for brief overviews).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_knowledge_%28IB_course%29

edit: added some stuff tl;dr is no longer short either

SuSa

Uh... I also chose to learn. I also chose to exist. I chose to do anything. You can't say that school isn't social because you chose to make it non-social. I can go to school and sleep all day, that doesn't mean education doesn't occur in school. I can just sit in my room and sleep all day every day, that doesn't mean the world around me doesn't exist.

My school uses block scheduling as well (except four classes a day, 1.5 hours, two semesters). I don't have snack time. :(
We have 10ish minutes between classes, but given the size of the buildings, and the fact that there are two buildings about 1/3 of a mile apart, we need all that time to get to class.
I want snack time. :mad:

I meant for you to assume that he is a good teacher. The best in fact.
I don't think you chose to exist, but that goes into beliefs. Let's try not to turn this religious like every other thread. :laugh:

My point is walking outside can be seen as a social environment. If I see my neighbor, I can say hello. Going to a restaurant can be seen as a social environment. My point is the argument that "school makes you social" is bull****. To be honest, I feel CRASHiC actually speaks some truth.

What are your school hours? I go from 8:05 to 2:37 (weird, I know)

I would not assume the best would make a good teacher, sadly it seems that is often times not the case. But now that you have stated he is a good teacher, and not just good - the best teacher. I would choose the teacher.

But then ask yourself. What is more likely for the general public. For the entire public to be educated by the best teacher in existence? Or to have the ability to go online?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I don't think you chose to exist, but that goes into beliefs. Let's try not to turn this religious like every other thread. :laugh:

My point is walking outside can be seen as a social environment. If I see my neighbor, I can say hello. Going to a restaurant can be seen as a social environment. My point is the argument that "school makes you social" is bull****. To be honest, I feel CRASHiC actually speaks some truth.

What are your school hours? I go from 8:05 to 2:37 (weird, I know)

I would not assume the best would make a good teacher, sadly it seems that is often times not the case. But now that you have stated he is a good teacher, and not just good - the best teacher. I would choose the teacher.

But then ask yourself. What is more likely for the general public. For the entire public to be educated by the best teacher in existence? Or to have the ability to go online?
I meant in the sense that I could kill myself right now if I wanted. In that sense, yes, I choose to exist.

Well, it's more social then those things you said. You're around peers that you can relate to. Surely you can understand how that's different, right?
And about what CRASHiC said, that depends. I do a pretty **** good job at avoiding high school BS drama, and, socially, my high school experience has been nothing but great.

My school hours are 7:20 to 2:15.

I was trying to make it clear that schools are filled with people who are trained to teach a subject they are professional at. This is far better then any book or internet source. No, not every school is going to have the greatest teachers, but every school should have teachers who have been trained to efficiently teach you a given curriculum. If a school doesn't offer a certain curriculum that you are interested in, that's when you go to other sources to teach yourself.

Oracle

Smash Master
SuSa do you go to public school? Because I totally agree with you in that public school past 7th grade or so is nigh worthless and a detriment to society.

However, don't project your negative experiences with school onto schooling as a whole. The learning aspects of school are there. You just don't see them. School forces you to work hard with assignments and tests, teaching you values of diligence and coping with work that are necessary for having any sort of career. Chances are, when you define your own workload, hours, and due dates, you're not going to learn any of this.

The social aspect of school is there and it is good. To respond to crashic, School does not teach people these things; that's just the way people are. Besides, that totally ignores the positive social effects that school has on most people. I find it hard to be social on my own time, and school has helped me make a lot of good friends. Sure, the people who are ignorant *******s are there too, but I can just ignore them and nothing bad comes out of it.

SuSa

I meant in the sense that I could kill myself right now if I wanted. In that sense, yes, I choose to exist.

Well, it's more social then those things you said. You're around peers that you can relate to. Surely you can understand how that's different, right?
And about what CRASHiC said, that depends. I do a pretty **** good job at avoiding high school BS drama, and, socially, my high school experience has been nothing but great.

My school hours are 7:20 to 2:15.

I was trying to make it clear that schools are filled with people who are trained to teach a subject they are professional at. This is far better then any book or internet source. No, not every school is going to have the greatest teachers, but every school should have teachers who have been trained to efficiently teach you a given curriculum. If a school doesn't offer a certain curriculum that you are interested in, that's when you go to other sources to teach yourself.
Point taken. But I'd still consider you to exist, you just wouldn't be living. :s

I can relate to these idiots? *shudders* I relate better with people in their early 20's more then I do with people of my own age, and now that I'm a Junior - more then those younger then me. Even when I was a freshman I preferred 20~ year old company.

Ouch, I'd hate to go to your school. :x

Point taken on that. But where do you draw the line for how long that is needed? (There is a reason I felt 7th or 8th grade would be a great cutoff point from this. And not just "lawl, starting from 6 use teh internets") I wasn't very clear with my OP, and I apologize.

My OP seems FAR more like an attack on the system, rather then I believe the system should be remade to a degree.

SuSa do you go to public school? Because I totally agree with you in that public school past 7th grade or so is nigh worthless and a detriment to society.

However, don't project your negative experiences with school onto schooling as a whole. The learning aspects of school are there. You just don't see them. School forces you to work hard with assignments and tests, teaching you values of diligence and coping with work that are necessary for having any sort of career. Chances are, when you define your own workload, hours, and due dates, you're not going to learn any of this.

The social aspect of school is there and it is good. To respond to crashic, School does not teach people these things; that's just the way people are. Besides, that totally ignores the positive social effects that school has on most people. I find it hard to be social on my own time, and school has helped me make a lot of good friends. Sure, the people who are ignorant *******s are there too, but I can just ignore them and nothing bad comes out of it.
I go to a public school now.

I sleep in class, read fictional books, or plug my headphones into my keyboard and I play that. I still pass all of my classes with B's or A's (B's if I just don't feel like doing my homework all that often)

The social aspect of ANYTHING can be found ANYWHERE if you just did it. "on your own time", if you spent 4 less hours of school. I'm pretty sure you could fit in 4 hours of something "social" into your life.

Oracle

Smash Master
Your problem has less to do with school and more to do with you being lazy and elitist. This is why I hate public school: you don't feel challenged because it's government mandated school and we all know the government can't do anything right, but you can't afford to get into a better high school where you'll be challenged. Argh. We should just make public school up until 6th grade and then use the rest of the money to financially aid people who are smart but can't afford nice schooling.

While you can find social things anywhere, school makes them easily accessible to teenagers. Think of a teenager being social. Does he go to the bar/club to meet people? No. School has helped him make friends by placing him in an environment with peers that he can relate to and therefore make friends with. Things like clubs and extra curriculars help teenagers with common interests meet up so they become friends and enhance their social skills.

Basically all that you've said about the social aspect is that you could if you wanted to without school, but you just don't want to I guess.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Point taken. But I'd still consider you to exist, you just wouldn't be living. :s

I can relate to these idiots? *shudders* I relate better with people in their early 20's more then I do with people of my own age, and now that I'm a Junior - more then those younger then me. Even when I was a freshman I preferred 20~ year old company.

Ouch, I'd hate to go to your school. :x

Point taken on that. But where do you draw the line for how long that is needed? (There is a reason I felt 7th or 8th grade would be a great cutoff point from this. And not just "lawl, starting from 6 use teh internets") I wasn't very clear with my OP, and I apologize.

My OP seems FAR more like an attack on the system, rather then I believe the system should be remade to a degree.
Okay, yeah, that's another argument that we shouldn't start. :laugh:

[EDIT] Oh, do you take honors or AP courses? Because I've always found that there is a massive difference in the students in parallel classes and honors/AP classes. Parallel generally has troublemakers, morons, etc. Honors/AP almost always has more intelligent people who are more interested in learning.

I would say "wait until college," but you're choosing not to go to college (right?). The difference between high school and college is that college filters out most of the people who do not care about learning (idiots). College will have more people you can relate to. People who want to and chose to learn.

Yeah. It's a pain in the *** to have to wake up at 6am every morning, especially when you have delayed sleep syndrome and frequent migraines. I deal with it. At least I'm home earlier.

I honestly feel like high school is where I learned most of what I want to know. Mostly because of the addition of elective classes, but I've also learned so much in my history classes (for example) that I've been able to apply to my everyday life.

But how would you remake the education system?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I don't know if anyone here has been through the International Baccalaureate in high school (I am only a junior). The whole program focuses more analysis (perhaps even over analysis) from what some people call "fact drilling." It's important to ask how valuable a source is and the limitations of it for more complex issues. Maybe I'm answering the wrong thing here.

This asks all these sorts of questions like "What is the reason for having historical knowledge, and how is it applied in life?" or "How do you know that the scientific method is a valid method of gaining knowledge?"

[EDIT] Oh, do you take honors or AP courses? Because I've always found that there is a massive difference in the students in parallel classes and honors/AP classes. Parallel generally has troublemakers, morons, etc. Honors/AP almost always has more intelligent people who are more interested in learning.
IB and AP are both relevant to the discussion...AP and IB both deal with more complex and varied work than regular honors courses, but IB also has the added benefit of more stuff geared towards critical thinking instead of greater breadth of material.

I went through IB and took a couple AP classes/tests as well, so neither of these course systems are foreign to me. AP does cover more stuff, but IB goes both into greater detail on the selected material and also forces you to think more critically of what's going on.

POKE40

Smash Lord
I don't believe eliminating The Education System would be any good SuSa.
(I'm just taking a step further)

Don't we all go to school?
I should say:
Everyone of us did at some certain time.

We all went for a reason.
Some went to learn.
Some went to socialize.
Some went to school because they had to.

W/O the Educational System.
No College Football. :p
Less jobs.

America would look pretty bad.
America without a educational system?
That wouldn't be good.

Sure. I believe we can go through life w/o school.
But we would look pretty stupid saying we never went to school (or at least didn't receive any education).

Sure why not use the internet for everything?
who needs people to fix your television? Let me check the internet.
Who needs a self-defense instructor? I'll just watch YouTube videos.
Who needs a piano teacher? I'll just look up how to play the piano online
Who needs a professional financial advisor? Let me check google.
Who needs a lawyer? I'll check it on the internet.

tl; dr?
too bad for you.

EDIT: Susa, your OP makes it sound like you hate the educational system. lol. =P
(knowing it's not your intention)

SuSa

I would say "wait until college," but you're choosing not to go to college (right?). The difference between high school and college is that college filters out most of the people who do not care about learning (idiots). College will have more people you can relate to. People who want to and chose to learn.

Yeah. It's a pain in the *** to have to wake up at 6am every morning, especially when you have delayed sleep syndrome and frequent migraines. I deal with it. At least I'm home earlier.

I honestly feel like high school is where I learned most of what I want to know. Mostly because of the addition of elective classes, but I've also learned so much in my history classes (for example) that I've been able to apply to my everyday life.

But how would you remake the education system?
I drop all AP classes they place me into. Why do the extra work if I don't see it fit? I dropped GATE when I was in 6th grade, and refuse to advance when my teacher asks me if I want to. (Was recently asked if I wanted to take AP English, just 2 weeks ago. I declined)

You are correct, I have no current plans to attend college. I haven't since 7th grade.

Insomnia?

I learn most of what I want to know at home. <_<

I don't believe eliminating The Education System would be any good SuSa.
(I'm just taking a step further)

Don't we all go to school?
I should say:
Everyone of us did at some certain time.

We all went for a reason.
Some went to learn.
Some went to socialize.
Some went to school because they had to.

W/O the Educational System.
No College Football. :p
Less jobs.

America would look pretty bad.
America without a educational system?
That wouldn't be good.

Sure. I believe we can go through life w/o school.
But we would look pretty stupid saying we never went to school (or at least didn't receive any education).

Sure why not use the internet for everything?
who needs people to fix your television? Let me check the internet.
Who needs a self-defense instructor? I'll just watch YouTube videos.
Who needs a piano teacher? I'll just look up how to play the piano online
Who needs a professional financial advisor? Let me check google.
Who needs a lawyer? I'll check it on the internet.

tl; dr?
too bad for you.

EDIT: Susa, your OP makes it sound like you hate the educational system. lol. =P
(knowing it's not your intention)
Yah, my OP was horrible. I already admitted to that.

I find sports entertainment sad in society. Is it right that a sports player can make FAR beyond that of a doctor?

Also you are basing many of your "you'd look stupid if you didn't go" by how we view society today.

You argue there would be less jobs, because you are assuming a person has to have an education for a job - based on how society is today.

So yah, I guess I'm against how society runs today as well.

Meh, I should become an hero. =p

M.K

Level 55
I drop all AP classes they place me into. Why do the extra work if I don't see it fit? I dropped GATE when I was in 6th grade, and refuse to advance when my teacher asks me if I want to. (Was recently asked if I wanted to take AP English, just 2 weeks ago. I declined)

You are correct, I have no current plans to attend college. I haven't since 7th grade.

Insomnia?

I learn most of what I want to know at home. <_<

This is stupid illogical thinking. Not planning to attend college will make MANY things later in life EXPONENTIALLY harder than reading a few more pages of a textbook or doing an extra worksheet. I honestly hope you don't plan to try and attain a high-paying job, or one that is even averagely high, because with no college education, you will be SORELY outranked.
Your laziness will catch up to you. You may think that reading **** on the internet will make you the smartest human being alive, but it doesn't teach you socio-societal generalizations and opportunistic thinking. >.>
There WILL be less jobs, there HAVE been less jobs since FOREVER AND A HALF AGO. I don't know what fantasy world you are living in, but having/possessing some type of post-high school education GREATLY increases your chances of getting a job.

But I suppose I'll just log on here in a decade or two and read your "The job interviewing system is near useless", "The eviction notice on my door is near useless", or "Incessant tax collectors are near useless" blogs.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
You could actually argue that Science is only a branch off of Math. Given all reactions have some sort of formula, and when it comes down to how things work - you can break it down into numbers.
Science is not a branch off of mathematics. They are two separate disciplines, though they often cross paths.

Is it right that a sports player can make FAR beyond that of a doctor?
The free market economy doesn't care for what's "right." Also, keep in mind that a pro sports player has a much shorter career than a doctor. He/she only has a few years to play professionally before retiring. So, they have to make as much money as they can while they're still pro quality.

you are assuming a person has to have an education for a job - based on how society is today.
That's not an assumption.

SuSa

This is stupid illogical thinking. Not planning to attend college will make MANY things later in life EXPONENTIALLY harder than reading a few more pages of a textbook or doing an extra worksheet. I honestly hope you don't plan to try and attain a high-paying job, or one that is even averagely high, because with no college education, you will be SORELY outranked.
Your laziness will catch up to you. You may think that reading **** on the internet will make you the smartest human being alive, but it doesn't teach you socio-societal generalizations and opportunistic thinking. >.>
There WILL be less jobs, there HAVE been less jobs since FOREVER AND A HALF AGO. I don't know what fantasy world you are living in, but having/possessing some type of post-high school education GREATLY increases your chances of getting a job.

But I suppose I'll just log on here in a decade or two and read your "The job interviewing system is near useless", "The eviction notice on my door is near useless", or "Incessant tax collectors are near useless" blogs.
Let's hope this all bites me in the *** then. ;)

EDIT:
@El Nino
Duly noted, I'd still like some examples.

My point is why do they make millions, for playing a sport? I've never had that explained to me.

It is an assumption, and only because a higher education is generally related to a higher paying job.

M.K

Level 55
Let's hope this all bites me in the *** then. ;)
Based upon your attitude, I can assume you don't care whether or not you actually succeed in life. I feel like you are the type of person to say "I'm so good that I can succeed, and I'm going to beat the system to PROVE that I can succeed without it!" instead of riding the system for what it's worth. Do you honestly believe that being this elitist towards a free education makes you "better" somehow?
Go ahead and become the pimple on society's *** crack, I'm sure I'll be paying for your healthcare someday.

My point is why do they make millions, for playing a sport? I've never had that explained to me.
They put in the effort to become good at the sport. While they may not deserve SUCH an inflated paycheck that they contemporarily receive, it can be said that their physical effort rivals mental effort, and many combine the two, such as student athletes.

SuSa

Within a year I think we'll be able to tell.

It's not like I'm aimless, and it's not like - without making a dime - I thought I'd be able to do it.

For the time spent earning, I feel I've earned a fair amount of money in the past 3 years. With the business I started up by spending 20 minutes making, printing, and passing out little Microsoft Word business cards to a single cul-de-sac, and the success from that. I'd hope that having 1000 fliers that I actually spent time on the design in Photoshop, and passing those around several communities around town would give similar results. If so, I have 13 people already willing to be employees.

Time will tell on that one, waiting for the art on the mascot to get back to me.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
My only "social" aspect I get in school is... singing in choir?
:(

No really, that sucks, I was like that at first but waaay back, as soon as I made friends like in 2nd grade there was an instant social aspect created, the people you main with during the day, basically. All life is brawl, nah. But yeah, the social harem that is HS for instance sucks as the second fundamental purpose of Public School is teaching you how to be social, because -most- people end up getting jobs that aren't in total seclusion. This -can- lead to a huge array of social-based problems hence why some prefer seclusion but it is a choice that can follow you right into middle life and beyond.

And what do many people, including myself, go to the library for?

To learn on our own! To use our own time, and our own focus - to learn.
Good point. My great aunt would often times spend hours at the library. She definitely read more than me, thousands of books read in her lifetime, insane, I hate reading lol I'd just say the Internet which is well integrated into classrooms also, should remain a tool, and not be allowed to become something more, until a true need for a decrease in social upbringing arises, at which time, attending "class" from the comfort of your bedroom may indeed be more effective. I shudder to think what circumstances would cause that though.

Within a year I think we'll be able to tell.

It's not like I'm aimless, and it's not like - without making a dime - I thought I'd be able to do it.

For the time spent earning, I feel I've earned a fair amount of money in the past 3 years. With the business I started up by spending 20 minutes making, printing, and passing out little Microsoft Word business cards to a single cul-de-sac, and the success from that. I'd hope that having 1000 fliers that I actually spent time on the design in Photoshop, and passing those around several communities around town would give similar results. If so, I have 13 people already willing to be employees.

Time will tell on that one, waiting for the art on the mascot to get back to me.
"I got a friend, he's broke, don't do ****!" Haha for real though? Good for you! Mr. Entrepreneur. That's what makes America so great. HS drop-outs, college drop-outs, don't matter, they go on to make millions because they're Idea people.

You should follow your instincts, time is precious, for some we only have until 2012 >< so really, if you have something better to do than wasting time at school, I'd do it. Unless you somehow are forced to attend, either pathologically, or physically. One of my friends in HS used to get bribed to go to school, he had his mom paying him like 20 bucks a day lol

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because their services are in high demand. Because millions of people are willing to watch them on TV and/or pay for tickets to their games. Therefore, corporations are willing to shell out millions to support the industry so they can get their products out to a receptive audience. And the industry takes some of that money and uses it to pay for quality entertainers who can keep fans interested in the game, thus keeping the revenue flowing in.

It's less like one person paying millions to a sports team; it more like a million people each paying one dollar to watch. So, it all adds up. Pro sports is a business, like any other part of the entertainment industry. Same like movies. A person may pay ten dollars for a night out with friends, but if millions of people also follow suit, that's how the industry profits. And that's why celebrity salaries are so large.

It is an assumption, and only because a higher education is generally related to a higher paying job.
Many retail and industrial jobs don't require degrees, the same with some white collar clerical jobs. You can advance from the ground up, but you also have to consider what type of industry you are working for. Scientific industries for sure will c*ckblock you for anything that requires college level understanding of science, including most technician positions and any R&D positions (anything apart from material transportation, packaging, sorting, and warehousing).

My experience is primarily with the technology sector. I've seen people try to move up to a higher paying position, only to be blocked because they either don't have a degree, or they don't have the right kind of degree. A sorting technician at a medical lab cannot promote to a diagnostic lab assistant without a four year degree in either biology or chemistry. A library page very rarely can promote to a reference library without a master's in library science. Computer companies don't hire self-taught programmers either. Also, having the right type of degree matters. An education degree doesn't help you get a position as a technician in a biotech company.

To get a job in sales, a lot of companies are now looking for people with a bachelor's in finance. For some jobs, like accounting and nursing, you have the option of getting an associate's or a bachelor's. But your pay will vary depending on both the level of your degree and your experience. Starting out with an associates, you have a lower level degree with no experience, you will get outcompeted by people with bachelors and no experience. To make it to their level, you have to catch up, and that takes time as you earn more experience.

I don't know the laws in your state. The following may or may not apply. But any job in the medical field that involves direct patient handling requires licensing. A lot of non-medical government jobs also require licensing. If you want to open a day care, you need a license. If you want to open a business, you need a license. If your business serves or sells alcohol, you need a license. If you sell insurance, you need a license.

To get a license, you have to go through an accredited education program and pass a board exam. It's not the same as a four year college, and it's cheaper, but it gives you a piece of paper that allows you to do that type of work in your state, city or county.

I haven't talked about agricultural jobs because there aren't many available in my area, and there's a lot of competition with newly arrived immigrants in that sector. But agricultural science is a four year degree program too.

So, yeah, there are options for you if you can't get an education, but if you have the means to get an education, I'm not sure why you wouldn't. It may take you ten years to promote to supervisor without a degree, and if that's your only option, then, yeah, that's your only option. But if you can get a degree, your starting point will be higher (though if you take out loans, your starting point will actually be in the negatives).

/wall of text

SuSa

My stepdad works for a company that had actually taught him Action Script so he can work with Adobe Flash and make their Flash pieces. Why? Because he had a knack for it.

My mom got a job with the same company for writing the contents of the web pages, she only barely graduated high school. Why'd she get the job? Because she was good with writing, even though she only had a D in English.

My Dad's a high school drop out who's even told me he's learned more things in Prison then he ever has in school.

I don't know, maybe I just haven't been around a supportive enough family.

Also not all jobs require a degree, that's one of the great things about a capitalistic economic system. I'm not dismissing that it does not up your chances.

I also wasn't the one that said specialization is wrong, in fact. I think I mentioned it should start earlier.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
The question is why would you turn down a chance to get an advantage.

My parents didn't go to four year colleges either. High school taught me sh*t. But I needed that piece of paper to get a job.

Bottom line is that education may not be worth much to you, but the paper itself is worth something to employers.

Also, it improves your chances against outsourcing. Slightly. It varies by what degree and what industry. I don't recommend getting a degree just to have it because that'll just waste a lot of money.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Susa, you kinda just sound emo. :p

"School is stupid. I have the internet!"

SuSa

I'm graduating high school, my point is I don't really give a **** for it. <_<

I have no plans for college, because honestly. I don't think I could think of a degree that'd help me in the direction I'm going. I used to have thoughts of going to major in Web Design, Graphics Design, Game Concepts, or Music Theory. But... I figured all would be a waste of my time.

I don't see myself being good/great at the former 3, just average like I am with most things. And I don't see a very large opportunity beyond possibly teaching with a degree in Music theory.

So I concluded they'd be a waste of mine, and my parents money. So I stopped caring.

EDIT:
@Meno
Most would classify me as emo. I personally hope the label burns to death in it's stupidity.

Completely alone, wears all black, long dark brown (looks black to most people who don't bother to look carefully), always in a sweatshirt (TO HIDEZ MY WRISTS!!!?!?!?!... no not really), and keeps apart from the class. Works alone on group projects, sits in completely empty areas of school.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't recommend getting a degree just to have it because that'll just waste a lot of money.
QFT.

I graduated class of '99, and am just now using that degree. Before now, it was just an extra 1.00/hr above anyone else that didn't have one.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I agree that college is not the answer to all things that people seem to want it to be.

So I concluded they'd be a waste of mine, and my parents money. So I stopped caring.
Or get on financial aid and waste the government's (taxpayer's) money.

Have you done a job search online? Read the descriptions of the positions posted, and if any appeal to you, check the qualifications to see how much schooling you need.

I graduated class of '99, and am just now using that degree. Before now, it was just an extra 1.00/hr above anyone else that didn't have one.
You're old. Like me. I should start a club.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You're old. Like me. I should start a club.
yeah I'm definitely decrepit, I mean ... Emo. hahahaha I don't me to laugh but the whole concept of emo is just so totally ... amazing and out right foolish at the same time. But, hey this is the now we all knew was coming and it's only about ... 3 maybe 5 years before Generation X has its true impact on the world.

Again, I shudder to think what will happen.

Emo. ha!

more HA!

Generation X in the United States

Individuals considered to be within Generation X were born, and grew up during the later years of, and in the decade following the Vietnam War. They are most often linked to the presidencies of Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush.[hey now, lets not forget Carter] Coming of age after the Vietnam War had ended [definite mind **** too much acid, kids!], now in their 30s and 40s, their political experiences and cultural perspective were shaped by the end of the cold war and the fall of the Berlin wall. Growing up in an historical span of relative geopolitical peace for the US, this generation saw the inception of the home computer, the rise of video games, and the Internet as a tool for social and commercial purposes. Other attributes identified with this demographic are Dot-com businesses, early MTV, Desert Storm, Grunge and Hip hop culture.

And GW killed it. Just like Hideo said it would. ><

Now we fend for ourselves, a society of beggars, with iPods for saddle bags and The Internet the open range.

I should stop proselytizing in Susa's blog.
my bad, yo

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Completely alone, wears all black, long dark brown (looks black to most people who don't bother to look carefully), always in a sweatshirt (TO HIDEZ MY WRISTS!!!?!?!?!... no not really), and keeps apart from the class. Works alone on group projects, sits in completely empty areas of school.
Even from me, someone who doesn't care about interaction with 99% ogf people out there...

You need to get out more. =/

M.K

Level 55

My Dad's a high school drop out who's even told me he's learned more things in Prison then he ever has in school.

The fact that you even use this to corroborate your points proves your ignorance.
If you honestly believe something like that, you must be naive as all get out.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
That's not entirely why I hate the educational system, and I don't entirely agree with it either. Some information isn't important in itself as it is with other ideas and concepts. It's the combination of education that brings about a more important point.

I don't like the educational system because you forget more than half the bull**** they teach you anyway. What's the point but to keep you off the streets? I can handle my own **** self. Hell, with a shorter educational day, I could have gottena job a helluva long time ago. Country would be so much better if the educational system was more useful. Think of all the real world stuff they could have taught us.

SuSa

The fact that you even use this to corroborate your points proves your ignorance.
If you honestly believe something like that, you must be naive as all get out.
He's learned more job trades in prison then being schooled. He's learned street smarts and social skills (to live).

My dad's a 13 time convicted felon. He's spent half of my life in prison.

I wouldn't doubt he's learned a lot while in there.

Even from me, someone who doesn't care about interaction with 99% ogf people out there...

You need to get out more. =/
And how come? People seem to naturally piss me off, without even trying.

I'd think the less I'm around people who make me want to punch their faces in, the better.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

I'd think the less I'm around people who make me want to punch their faces in, the better.
Are you my soulmate? I feel the exact same way about people.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I disagree partly with this. Instead, I'd change it to say "wait until your third(ish) year of college".
There's plenty of morons and tools that go to college just because they can, and/or are told to do so. By the third year, most of those people have dropped out, so that leaves only those students whom you share the willingness to learn with.

...some of them are still gonna suck though.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

You learn more about people by interacting with them.

The more you know, the further you'll go. If you want to be successful in life, you'll more than likely need at least decent skill in handling different types of people. You don't learn stuff like that shut up in your room, or surfing the internet.

Kantō

Smash Champion
the education system is just how it is, how it will always be. we all had to get through it, i know it sux. but guess what? it sucked for mostley everyone. it will be over before you know it and then you can complain about going to work everyday like me!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
As far as I know Susa, you want to go into the business world (correct me if I'm wrong) and it is vital to be able to interract with people without punching them in the face. You'll have to deal with a lot of ***** and *******s you have to be nice to. Instead of "wasting" your time on education, go learn the social skills you need in the business world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom