• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ART with Yo' Powah 3!!!(Contest closed! Results on December 6th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer

Art With Your Power

THE current drawing prompt, coming at you LIVE from SpireIII, is....
Show your ideal world

Any medium is allowed. Contest is over on November 21st at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time!

Judging
Each entry will be judged according to four guidelines, and each of these will be worth five points(meaning each piece will be eligible for a total of 60 points; 20 from each judge):

Adherence to prompt!: Self explanatory. It just needs to relate to the topic in some way. I see this as an easy 5 points.

Skill!: Another self explanatory one. Don't worry if your art skills aren't top of the rung. This is only one category and let's remember the basis of this contest is fun and improvement :)

Ingenuity/Style!: How clever were you with your piece while sticking to the theme? Also, is your style refreshing? Did you use your medium in an unconventional way?

Aesthetics!: Is your piece pleasing to look at? How is its composition? Colors work nicely together? Does it draw the viewer in?

The three judges will be: Livvers. Virgilijus. SpireIII. The method for judging is the so called "Scurvy" method devolped by Scav and Virg: only the top three placers will be named (barring very close 4th places) and no numerical scores based on the rubric will be posted. This is to help the younger artists who don't necessarily need to know they were the judged the worst. There will be judge's comments with each piece that offer critiques on the piece.

Prizes

The prizes this round are:

THIRD PLACE:

You'll get to tout an orange name and have a paintbrush icon along with your other icons.

SECOND PLACE:
You'll get the orange name, the paint brush, AND a custom title.

FIRST PLACE:

You'll receive an orange name, the paint brush, and a NEWW CAAAHR. Not really, but you will get to pick out the next prompt and be a judge on the next AWYP

How to enter:

Just post your entry in this thread, along with these guidelines:

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did. This is to help weed out stolen images. We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field). I know this is a pain, but it's much harder to find stolen images than stolen written works. Also, please put these WIPs in the same post as your submission, and make them just links.

Virg edit:
DO NOT CHEAT. I cannot be more serious when I say this. We take cheating/stealing images very seriously and won't hold back on any perpetrators. If we find you have stolen an image, this will result in a one month ban from the AE. You will receive two points that will last two weeks as per the global rules. You will also be banned from future AWYPs and have the stigma of a cheater all over you. We've had people cheat before in other contests and I can assure you, for the 30 seconds it took them to cheat they absolutely regret it. If you are drawing, tracing is also not allowed and will be up to the judges discretion to claim.

Deadly Turnip Corollary: All entries must be completely new pieces of art. Even if you are the artist, if it is found that your work was posted online or in another forum before submitting it in this contest you will be disqualified.

Also, NO JOKE ENTRIES. This doesn't mean your entry can't be funny, but I won't tolerate an image you threw together in MS Paint for lulz and attention. You will be warned the first time it happens, and then banned from the AE if I see it again. You will no longer be able to submit real entries to any future contests. This is a serious competition to promote practicing your art and improving. Also, one official entry per entrant. If you have several pieces and don't know which to choose, you can post several and get other people's opinions on which you want to enter, but only one will be entered (we can comment on the others, but it won't affect the contest).

Now, the main purpose of this contest isn't to win: it's to draw and paint and sculpt and to have fun while doing it. If it becomes too much of a chore or things start piling up on you, don't worry about it. There will always be another contest :)

So go ahead and start drawing! And don't forget to ART WITH YOUR POWER!

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
There will be a two week waiting period after contest ends for the judges to work on scores.

Also, for the next contest I plan on making it Holiday themed along with the prompt that is chosen by the winner =)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Holy highwaters Batman! It's finally up!

You better correct my name's spelling, Livvers :mad:

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh ho ho ho. Utopia. Exactly what I'd expect from Spire. I will be doing this one for sure.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'll be entering this one. I think I know what to do.

Level 10

Smash Rookie
:)Wait, can i do this? Also, im in

edit: and what does it mean by "show your ideal world" can someone tell me?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I have no ideas yet..... Ummm, so it just has to do something with a Ideal world. (Like a planet, or city or what????)
Anything you want. Your world doesn't have to be an overview, rather the experience of the world. For instance, you could say that one's world is their every day life. That's the world they live in and it's part of the planet Earth, but it's their world. What they do, who they interact with, what they think about - that's all part of their world. But the prompt asks what your ideal world is like. You have the power to show us what you would want your ideal world to be like; how it presents itself, how it looks, feels, and how it is experienced. Do whatever you feel would rightfully justify what you want to show us.

@ Chaco - YOU BETTER ENTER OR NO KARP FOR 35,478 YEARS.

Infinite Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Anything you want. Your world doesn't have to be an overview, rather the experience of the world. For instance, you could say that one's world is their every day life. That's the world they live in and it's part of the planet Earth, but it's their world. What they do, who they interact with, what they think about - that's all part of their world. But the prompt asks what your ideal world is like. You have the power to show us what you would want your ideal world to be like; how it presents itself, how it looks, feels, and how it is experienced. Do whatever you feel would rightfully justify what you want to show us.

@ Chaco - YOU BETTER ENTER OR NO KARP FOR 35,478 YEARS.

Thanks, I have an idea. It will take me a while to do but it will be worth it....

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

My entry!
My ideal world would be somewhere in the sky...
I love the sky...
EDIT: That gray thing is like some sky city place. My attempts at detailing it failed...so its surrounded by fluffy clouds.

Done in Paint Tool SAI
Took around 1 hour or so?

I started with the background and used the watercolor tool on SAI to shade the blues. I added a cloudier colored layer lightly over it for effect. Then, i added the clouds and moon. I added some details to the cloudy rim thing of the moon and went back to a lower layer to add some stars. Then i added the gray blob of a sky city...thing...and added some clouds around it and shaded em. After that, i drew the outline for the person. Then i went and shaded them.

Submitting WIP shots later (one is a screencap with layer information + picture in it)

WIP Pictures:
Screenshot on SAI during cloud coloring
Lines of person, Wings, and Sky city
Basic background minus some shading and stars

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I still don't know wtf to do, lol. x.x I'm gonna start this tomorrow. I have an idea for a concept, but no clue how to actually start. >_<;

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Definitly joining. I'm going to draw something up with MS paint. I don't have much else to do some drawing with. I'm horrible at drawing with hand. Hmm, I guess I'll have to find some way around this.

BTW, this will not be a joke entry :)

aish

Smash Journeyman
wip 1
wip 2

Final image :

A sketch was drawn and then scanned in, the program SAI was used to do the lineart of it. After lineart was completed base colores were slapped on followed by splotches of shades which were then blended to create the semi realistic and painter look. Background added in last with the trees added in with a brush made by myself. Lens flare added for aftereffects in Photoshop.

I chose to do this piece because a world where we can laugh together, cry together, be beside each other would be my ideal world.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Jeeeezus, that entry looks even better than what I had in my mind. I wonder what will turn out of mine <_<.

EDIT: I just noticed SAI would looked good, so I decided to use that instead :D

Thanks Aish.

LOOOL, what was I thinking joining this. I can't draw on any medium. Good game, me.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Jeeeezus, that entry looks even better than what I had in my mind. I wonder what will turn out of mine <_<.

EDIT: I just noticed SAI would looked good, so I decided to use that instead :D

Thanks Aish.

LOOOL, what was I thinking joining this. I can't draw on any medium. Good game, me.
You can still enter for a fair critique -- which if you want to improve artistically, I would advise.

EDIT: Livvers, you need to change my name in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom