• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

buffering? (and maybe a new look at frame data)

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Hey everyone, I've been editing Sheiks pac. file so I can get hit box's to show (way easier said than done).
From my understanding I'm pretty sure I found something that most people don't know.

You see, when you perform a move it takes exactly 1 frame for the game to recognize you inputted something.
Then you have the rest of the frame's to pass until you perform the move.
This can easily lead to confusion when people are using the frame by frame code instead of looking at file data. If they didn't buffer they will have 1 more frame than if the move was buffered.

Now you see it makes a lot of sense. The buffering system is there so that your character will perform a move if they can in the next 10 frames. Thus it already recognizes the move and you wont have that 1 frame of extra lag.

This makes Sheiks f-tilt a frame 4 move when buffered instead of a frame 5 move when not buffered.
People with frame data threads need to add this data to their OP.
It would make a small difference when people are looking at combo's and frame advantage.

*flame shield*
I understand that some of you already know this. If anyone ever looked at the pac. file for frame data they would see this. I ask that you don't spam that this is known because frankly I bet it has been known for a while. However, it doesn't appear to be common knowledge because I don't see anyone's (or at least the ones I have seen) frame data thread showing that these moves are 1 frame less.

If you are curious as to why ZSS/Squirtle have frame 1 jabs and that Marth has 1 frame invincibility on his DS I can only answer that with a "IDK". I am just looking at Sheiks pac. I communicating what I see.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I didn't know this.

Hmm... Frame 0 jabs and invincibility... Sexy. I wonder if it depends on the type of attacks, or any other factors.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
So if I spotdodge with G&W, then buffer a jab, it will hit on frame 3? (G&W's jab comes out frame 4)

Has this been tested? Or did I misinterpret what you said.

Is this also true for G&W's bukit brake? When my character gets hit by an attack and I buffer a nair (if that's possible) the nair will come out 1 frame sooner. Then when I buffer a bukit it will come out 1 frame sooner (frame 0 i believe) and stop my momentum?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So if I spotdodge with G&W, then buffer a jab, it will hit on frame 3? (G&W's jab comes out frame 4)

Is this also true for G&W's bukit brake? When my character gets hit by an attack and I buffer a nair (if that's possible) the nair will come out 1 frame sooner. Then when I buffer a bukit it will come out 1 frame sooner (frame 0 i believe) and stop my momentum?
Thats also what I understood, that's why I'm a little skeptical on the whole thing... Frame 0 jabs, frame 0 invincibility from Marth's upB when being hit...? It all sounds so weird. I can only wonder if it's because specific conditions are met...

If it doesn't matter what the conditions are, then this would mean that what we've been doing so far while buffering, has been taking a frame off of our characters' attack startups. That would mean that buffering is a bit more important than what I originally thought it to be.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I didn't know this.

Hmm... Frame 0 jabs and invincibility... Sexy. I wonder if it depends on the type of attacks, or any other factors.
Yeah, that's impossible.
That is the thing that confuses me.

Correct, that should be your out come.

I can't test because I don't have that pause thingy.

Nothing can come out on frame 0. That is like impossible. You can't go faster than instantly.
I'm not sure this is correct except for movement/position in frame changes, for reasons stated by above posters.
Yeah that stumps me.
Maybe there is some code to help frame 1 things to where they have higher button priority or something?
Thats also what I understood, that's why I'm a little skeptical on the whole thing... Frame 0 jabs, frame 0 invincibility from Marth's upB when being hit...? It all sounds so weird. I can only wonder if it's because specific conditions are met...

If it doesn't matter what the conditions are, then this would mean that what we've been doing so far while buffering, has been taking a frame off of our characters' attack startups. That would mean that buffering is a bit more important than what I originally thought it to be.
True, maybe it makes it wait a frame because it has to.

:EDIT:
Yeah that's probably it. It's impossible to perform something in 0 frames. So it goes for the next best thing.... 1 frame.
As for normal input.... there is probably a special code to make these moves 1 frame.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Your terminology is a bit off. As an example for Sheik's jab, which hits on frame 2, the number assumes that your input is on frame 0. Whether you buffer the jab or not still means that it hits on frame 2; frame 0 simply does not happen.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
theres always 1 frame of "input" lag. with the buffer, there isn't

even though shieks f-tilt is a 5 frame it should always happen frame 6 when not buffered

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Your terminology is a bit off. As an example for Sheik's jab, which hits on frame 2, the number assumes that your input is on frame 0. Whether you buffer the jab or not still means that it hits on frame 2; frame 0 simply does not happen.
I agree with this.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I was typing out a very lengthy post, but Ankoku summarized the situation in 1/10 the length, so scratch that xD.

I'd like to touch on this though:
You see, when you perform a move it takes exactly 1 frame for the game to recognize you inputted something.
This is incorrect. If you measure time from the point of input, Sheik's ftilt (for example) with take between 5.9999... and 5.000...1 frames to come out. It depends on when in the current frame you input the command.

In regard to your frame data concern people measure actions from the point of the action actually starting, not from the point of input. So the results will be the same whether you buffer or not. /restating what has already been posted

Top Bottom