• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA for dummies!

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
K, so, since PK is ever-busy, I'm gonna be guidin' as his (temporary?) replacement. I'll keep it (EXTRA EXTRA) noob friendly, and update religiously. Don't worry XD.

HOW TO OPEN THE PACS
(because I know you all need help here, it's super hard isn't it.)

Alright, so let's get into it! Open up SmashAttacks.exe, and you'll be greeted by this screen:

Looks scary, huh!

Alls ya gotta do now is click File at the top, click Open; now you're here:

Oh, this looks familiar!

All you have to do is find your way through the folders and pick the file that you need. They should be named "Fit(something).pac" without any numbers. My personal favorite is "FitNess.pac", *flex*.

So anyways, double click on it to open it:

WOAH WHAT IS THAT.

This may look extremely intimidating, but it really isn't. Once we go over the terms, this'll be simple, I promise.

THE TERMS
(Pay attention! D:<)

Alright, so let's begin with interface terms (that's everything outside of the square).

Action Events - Located at the top of this screen under file, this is the "tab" of the program that contains the attack data. This baby has all of your B moves, all of your smash attacks, all of your tilts, dodges, and jabs -- everything.

Attributes - Also located at the top of the screen, but next to Action Events, this is the "tab" that controls the "stats" of your character. Jump height, weight, landing lag, run speed - it's all here. This tab is so massive that not everything is documented! Try experimenting and maybe you can find something new for us to use!

Now that you're caught up with the two tabs, let's dive in deeper.

*finishes slowly*

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
i r konfyoosd war r teh fiel butin an iem 6
^^lol is it because people kept asking stuff like this? I hope you actually do update this with basic operations in psa, itd be a good thing for the community (and have it stickied).

This is awesome. I suck at programming and the like, but I want to learn PSA. You rock TSONO.

D

Deleted member

IF this is a serious replacement you can remove the temporary.

Also something important to add:

When you want to open multiple .pac files, you will need to copy the whole "smash attacks" directory to a different location and open your second .pac from the new location.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
IF this is a serious replacement you can remove the temporary.

Also something important to add:

When you want to open multiple .pac files, you will need to copy the whole "smash attacks" directory to a different location and open your second .pac from the new location.
Alright.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hah, I'm going to need this one too.

This will probably be the main PSA guide, because its seems like one you get the concepts people really get rolling.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
Since im not sure where else to ask this;
Is it possible to give snake more than two grenades, or more than one mine/c4. If so, how?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Dude, I will love you forever if you do this. I'm designing a PSA character atm, already pretty much have a moveset and everything worked out, but I have no clue how to edit anything outside of attributes.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
TSON, if you want, you can make a tutorial on the OpenSA Wiki, it might be easier than trying to do complex tutorials on the forums.

ds22

Smash Lord
Is it possible to give a character who can't crawl the ability to crawl?
Because I know you can give a character wall jumps and even wall sliding, but I'm not sure this is also the case with crawling.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I'd imagine so. Just in all of the idles put a change subaction: to a blank one.

I'll just write it out lol.

In Wait1, Wait2, Wait3:

If Button Pressed: Down
Goto: (Empty Subaction, like 4)

In the empty subaction:

Set Loop: Infinite
--If button is held: Down
----If Button is pressed: Left
------Character Momentum Add: Horizontal: -0.3 Vertical: 0.1
----Else If: Button is pressed: Right
------Character Momentum Add: Horizontal: 0.3 Vertical: 0.1
----End If
--End If
Else:
--Loop Rest
End If:

It could be off, since I don't have the formatting to look at, and this code is lengthy enough where I'd need to test it and play around with it to get it right, but that's basically it.

ds22

Smash Lord
It makes sense.
I however need it in code for I use a older version of PSA (0.2.1 beta).
EDIT:
Should it look something like this?

Set Loop Infinite
If Button Pressed: 2
Character Momentum: 1-FFFD40E0, 1-EA60, 0-0, 0-0,
Else:
If Button Pressed: 4
Character Momentum: 1-2BF20, 1-EA60, 0-0, 0-0,
End If:
End If:
Else:
Loop Rest:
End If:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I just realized you also need a crouching animation and the crawling subaction needs to detect if you let go of down.

But whatever, easy fix if you understand what it's doing. Just stick an If Button Held: (Whatever down is) at the beginning at it should in theory work (things like this usually require some messing with).

That, and you're using the wrong Momentum Code, we want Add Momentum :p

ds22

Smash Lord
I now only need the digits for joystick left, right and down.
Also if I would give this character the SquatF and the SquatB animations, and subroutine to that, would he then do the crawl animations?

Top Bottom