• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

really interesting idea. need imput. tell me if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
as we all know, the online in brawl is....lacking.

I suggest we change that.

I have some theorys on how to not only improve online play, but change it.
however,
my idea deals with a field that I am very unfamiliar with, therefore i will need the hacking community's imput as to wheather my idea has any credibility to it.

ok so essentially my idea is to take brawl online play off the nintendo server. while the mechanics of online play is a mystery to me, I know that Nintendo's internet, in general, is sub-par. Therefore, I suggest that we make the online play route through a normal internet axis to the person in question.

what this would require is:
-replacing the go online command in the brawl ISO (the name escapes me at the moment but i know it) with a command to go online to a different server.

-setting up a server (i dont even know if im using the correct terminology.) I'm thinking something like the brawl+ updatifier. i realize that this works compleatly differently. but thats what im trying to express. a compleatly different route for the flow of data to go through then its ussuial route.

please tell me if there is any validity to what I am saying. I believe that it would be very possible and EXTREAMLY useful.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Oh god I wish what you're saying is possible. I have no idea myself, being a bottom feeder who thrives off the mods and hacks of others, but dear god I hope it's possible.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Would be a positively brilliant idea if Nintendo ran it off a sever, and if we had any idea how Nintendo ran their servers, and how the online service worked to begin with.

They don't, we don't.

The connections are directly from you to the other dudes. I doubt having a dedicated server would really help matters any.

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
im not positive that it works like that. see, the 2 wiis that want to brawl each other need to be in synk. synking the games is essential as we all know, so im assuming that there is a server somewhere that synks them. im not sure. if it can be person to person, that would be awesome.
but really, just getting the internet out of the hands of nintendo would be great.

ok i remember hearing something about a simple supermario battle game that ppl made for the homebrew channel. they made it have online play with like no lag. any1 know what im talking about or who i should get in contact with? i dont think it would be that complicated to do because theres not much actuial data being sent. its just little signs which tell the wii what to do. thats why textures, PSAs, and other hacks are for individual wii, while the game is unaffected. very little actuial data is being sent. therefore, i dont think it would be that complicated to set this up.

mofo_

Smash Ace
wow there was a thread about something like this a long time ago..and very skilled programmers were talking about it iirc xane was one of them...

but perhaps this p2p thing can make it work..

and i was on newgrounds someone was talking about making their own private server for a game and this site came up http://interhax.servegame.com/ idk if would work for brawl since all the games there are for the PC

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
I was under the impression that it wasn't that the servers sucked, it was the net coding in the game itself. It would be neigh on impossible to fix that. Before you say "Oh, we can replace files and edit fall speeds, this can't be that hard," this isn't opening a file and swapping some hex, or editing a few variables in the RAM. This is the coding itself.

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
I was under the impression that it wasn't that the servers sucked, it was the net coding in the game itself. It would be neigh on impossible to fix that. Before you say "Oh, we can replace files and edit fall speeds, this can't be that hard," this isn't opening a file and swapping some hex, or editing a few variables in the RAM. This is the coding itself.
i would say that the coding itself being sent is basic tho. its telling the wii what to do, not actuially doing it. and it wouldnt be the coding of the game seeing as the lag (at least based on my observations) doesnt seem to even matter on the distance between the players if in the same country.

ok im not being clear.

my point is that I believe that if we can edit that "go online" command, which i have, (ill get the name of it tomorrow. dont have wii scrubber on my laptop) it will work. im not trying to say that itll be easy. it wont be. all im saying is that at least there is a chance and that we have a plan.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I don't think you're even able to tweak the address where Brawl is supposed to go.

although atop of all my bickering, I wish it was true.

mofo_

Smash Ace
like i said..this was attempted by a bunch of experienced programmers in the past with no luck...
chances are it is not going to happen

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Arikie: i heard the server for wifi is sakurai's housecat...

Whos gonna pay for this dedicated server? Why not just P2P it?
The same way gamers always get their internet.

Leech it from their neighbors.

I'm sure Google has a spare server or two that they don't use.

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
If only it was possible to use a different type of networking...

I know some games use a different style of online play, where the game doesn't need to be in synch, it just reads all the players data, updates the server, and hopes that it looks like it's in synch. I wish I could explain it better, but I'm bad at explaining :laugh:

I don't think there would be any way to do this, but it would be interesting if we could force the game to connect to another player, read their position, animation, etc, data, and force it onto the character on your end. And also do the same for their end. You may not need to even use the Wifi mode to connect. But I really think this can only be done on PC games...

I'm a game developer, not a game hacker, so I have no idea how this works x_x...

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
If only it was possible to use a different type of networking...

I know some games use a different style of online play, where the game doesn't need to be in synch, it just reads all the players data, updates the server, and hopes that it looks like it's in synch. I wish I could explain it better, but I'm bad at explaining :laugh:

I don't think there would be any way to do this, but it would be interesting if we could force the game to connect to another player, read their position, animation, etc, data, and force it onto the character on your end. And also do the same for their end. You may not need to even use the Wifi mode to connect. But I really think this can only be done on PC games...

I'm a game developer, not a game hacker, so I have no idea how this works x_x...

Well it's not exactly a bad thing to try. I mean, the online sucks already. Isn't right for us to strive to make it better for the people who can't drive to tournaments, etc.?

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I assume we'll succeed w/ this by the next 4 years (lol) as long as we can pay for it and won't get in trouble if we have to hack into an already taken server.

Google's advertisements have flooded Youtube. It's helped the YT Crew pay for maintaining their servers. Good luck if you Einsteins can get this to work.:sonic:

smakis

Smash Ace
i know absolutely nothing about how to do this unfortunetly, would be awesome to have a system like kaillera that you use for ssb64 online.

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to bump this, but I'd thought I'd express my appreciation. This is one of the few ideas I've seen that actually sounds good and warranted, albeit impossible with current hacking/coding. Most other ideas I see (including my own) are half-baked and based on a person's personal preference.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No...lets see you make some progress on it if you want it, because I don't think anyones going to spend even 5 minutes trying something like this.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Are you aware of how that was implemented?

Are you aware of how bad it was?
Are you aware of the hardware that was required to do that?

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...well, I'd have to say...

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No...
Lol, just a joke. But I suppose I am being kind of a hypocrite. I have plenty of WANT NOW, but I'm not actually helping properly. Sorry.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No...lets see you make some progress on it if you want it, because I don't think anyones going to spend even 5 minutes trying something like this.
This post sounds like you oppose it.

SO I HERD U LIEK NINTENDO WIFI? WII WOULD LIKE TO LAG?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
This.

TSON: >_>?

Everyone else: The server for WFC is Gamespy but the game is specifically hard-coded with no chance of codes or file injections changing that.

The brawl battles itself are P2P once you connect with somebody. The reason it lags so bad is because of the amount of frames and actions it has to send/receive. Nothing Nintendo is in Wifi once you're playing somebody. Sorry to shut you guys down but it isn't possible, period.

Kryal

Smash Ace
If I could stop time, sure I'd try it. With SD loading you could just replace the wifi module and wrap a private server system. But we're talkin' 6-10 months of hard work, building assembly from scratch.

If you're going to do something like that, you may as well make custom characters/maps instead. And by that I mean COMPLETELY custom.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Nintendos servers have to do stuff sometimes.
Otherwise two people behind routers would be unable to play, and that isn't the case with ANY wii game.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
The Gamecube had online functionality only for the games that specifically used it, but not for the system as a whole.

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
woah woah hold up here. online melee? excuse me?? some1 send me a :link:?

ok i understand. however, i dont believe that we necisarily have to give up in our pursuits, but it would have to take a different approach.

if we can get the dolphin emulator on wifi (in production. ill have to get in contact with them), then hopefully we can get the wii to play the dolphin emulator, then presto!
(if that seems like an ***-backwards way of doing it, thats because it is an ***-backwards way of doing it.)

not sure if this thread should be here then. is there a forum for the dolphin emulator here?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
if we can get the dolphin emulator on wifi (in production. ill have to get in contact with them), then hopefully we can get the wii to play the dolphin emulator, then presto!
(if that seems like an ***-backwards way of doing it, thats because it is an ***-backwards way of doing it.)
....best post ever.

To play Brawl Online, we should port a wii emulator to the wii.

Yo, i herd you like emulating wiis, so we put a wii emulator on your wii so you can emulate wiis on your wii while your wii emulator emulates emulation of wiis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom