• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Rediscussion Thread. Currently Rediscussing: Diddy Kong

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Falco has a better closeup game because jab has more range + more speed then everything ever existed + grab is epic on mario - +falco
Falco outcamps mario - +falco
Falco kills better then mario - +falco
Falco has more mobility - +falco
They both have an average recovery - neutral
Mario gimps better - +mario
Mario has a better aerial game - +mario
Mario has nice juggles (i put this apart because its so gewd) - +mario

I honestly don't see this as any worse then 60/40 for falco.
I agree on everything you said about Mario's advantages and most of Falco's. Falco's kill power is NOT better than Mario. His kill power is pretty bad while Mario's is mediocre. Mario will definitely kill Falco at a lower percent than the other way around. I'd say that's even.

With Falco's camping of course it's true, but don't think that means no fireballs. I think Mario has a better recovery because Fire Falco is garbage and phantasm can be stopped by FLUDD (very good idea), cape, nair, and if you are good enough at timing it you can get a smash (risky and will probably trade hits unless spaced very well). FLUDD is extremely good against Falco due to FIHL working very well on him and messing up his recovery. Falco does not have the tools to mess up Mario's recovery.

Honestly this match could be even but there's just a couple of factors that push it slightly to Falco. A big part of this MU is getting the first kill. This can go either way because they both can rack up damage very well. What brings this to Falco's side is that he can maintain a lead better than Mario can. Combine that with jab, lasers, and CG it slightly puts it to Falco. Mario can definitely fight Falco better than some other characters.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Inferno. I play both Mario and Falco, and I find myself killing my opponets earlier with Mario rather than Falco.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Kill power doesn't matter, it's someones ability to kill in combination with kill power. Falco has better kill setups overall, and has an easier time landing an usmash then normal because mario has no disjoints in the air + he is a pretty aerial character, which makes shielding (falcos killing nemesis) useless.

The problem with marios gimping is that falco probably won't easily let himself get hit that far offstage, and even if he's hit offstage, good DI will solve his problem. On a stage like BF your chance of gimping him with fludd/cape is like 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 because we can easily mixup the height of our phantasm (top platform, lower platform, on the stage, on the ledge), even then the timing of the phantasm can be mixed up by using firebird, or even be changed in distance with cancels, which both aren't THAT good, admittedly, but still every asset is nice.
Falco has edgeguards, which is pretty much enough to edgeguard mario, while I honestly don't think Falco will gimp mario often (like once in a 3match set max) its still a hindrance and will force mario to be smart with recovering, a cape stall can result in a bair, which is pretty much a gimp. or even a dair

first kill is not that important, if it was falco had this fo sho.

edit:
who cares about you killing at which percentage, learn your opponents to avoid your kill moves, and even then it doesnt matter how you kill in other mus, its about falco vs mario.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
What is the most effective strategy for not falling behind on damage due to chaingrab? Is there anything really good we can bait him with?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
dthrow and predict his reaction
aerial > shield grab
airdodge > start juggle
jump > catch jump and start juggle or wait till he lands again
sideB or anything wack> too slow lol

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Some tidbits about your pros and cons.
Falco has a better closeup game because jab has more range + more speed then everything ever existed + grab is epic on mario - +falco
Mario's jab comes out on the same frame as Falco's. You're right about it having more range and leading into grabs than most of Mario's ground options though. You forget though, Mario will generally contest with SH aerials, usually B-air or N-air. I believe N-air beats Jab.

Falco outcamps mario - +falco
True, but Mario doesn't try to outcamp, he just kills it completely. Cape back lasers, and FLUDD absolutely destroys his camp game and kills his SHDL set-ups. Falco will have to be careful when he camps, especially if he's at the edge. If he's FLUDDed off the stage, he's forced to take time to recover and Mario is enabled to get close without reprecussions.

Falco kills better then mario - +falco
This is actually false. In the middle of FD, Mario's F-Smash kills Falco at 100% while Falco's F-Smash kills Mario at 120% due to Falco being lighter (this does not factor in DI and MB). Mario's U-Smash kills Falco at 125%, and nothing from Falco's moveset beyond F-Smash beats that, not even his next best kill move, U-smash, which goes even. (127% to be exact, but who cares).

So in reality Mario has the better kill potential, but since Falco's U-Smash is easier to land than Mario's, I'm going to say they're even on killing.

Falco has more mobility - +falco
Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean Falco's Side-B, Mario beats Phantasm in a number of ways (Fireball, N-air, FLUDD, Cape if you're unlucky).

They both have an average recovery - neutral
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say Mario's recovery is actually better.

Falco can do three things when recovering:

-Side-B on the stage. (Mario can FLUDD or N-air this)
-Side-B to the ledge (Ledgehog, or fireball this and force Falco to Up-B if no 2nd jump)
-Up-B (You're asking to be caped)

Mario can only do one thing when recovering, but thing is, Mario's recovery is very very safe as long he DIs upward every time.

-Fireball when recovering (stops aerial attempts, but doesn't do much against lasers)
-FLUDD aerial and ledgehog attempts (also stops D-air attempts from Falco)
-Up-B itself is about as good as Marth's, only with less horizontal range and kill power. This definitely stops Falco's D-air unless spaced correctly.
-Cape for a -slight- vertical boost upward and overall stalling.

So Falco has more of a mix-up but Mario generally won't get gimped unless he's sent below or WoP'd.

Mario gimps better - +mario
Inclined to agree here, though Falco's lasers can set up Mario to be ledgehogged.

Mario has a better aerial game - +mario
Can anyone check if Falco's B-air beats any of Mario's aerials? I know it beats N-air, but not sure about Mario's B-air.

Mario has nice juggles (i put this apart because its so gewd) - +mario
I also believe Falco's D-air stops juggles, though again not sure. I know Mario doesn't completely **** Falco in the air though, so he's gotta have something.

I will agree with Famous that Falco's CG is not very big in this match, in fact it's pretty minor due to Mario being a combo character allowing him to close the gap pretty quickly, especially with U-tilt locks. That is, if Mario gets grabbed in the first place.

A big factor in this match though is Mario's gimp ability. FLUDD hurts Falco so much for this match-up to the point where the only way he can't be gimped by Mario is to not use Side-B at all and recover high.

There are a few things stopping this from being Mario's advantage outright.

-Lasers. Despite Mario being able to shut them down, they're still usable, and thus are still a nuisance, especially off-stage.
-The Chaingrab. Not the chaingrab itself, but what it can lead to. Gatling Combo hurts like hell and is a guaranteed set-up if done correctly (60-ish% damage overall). It evens out Mario's better combo ability.
-Falco's Ground game contesting Mario's aerial game. Falco's F-tilt and U-Tilt are a ***** to get past when using aerials on a grounded Falco. Then there's the fact that if you're not over 40%, you get CG when approaching grounded (which Mario shouldn't be doing period).

This isn't 40:60 Falco. I even wanna say this is even, but that's on paper. In practicality it's 45:55 Falco. Until Mario has a way to fully contest Falco's ground game (which I might have... but that's theorycraft for now), Mario can't have the advantage.

Oh look, more posts when I'm typing and testing.
Kill power doesn't matter, it's someones ability to kill in combination with kill power. Falco has better kill setups overall, and has an easier time landing an usmash then normal because mario has no disjoints in the air + he is a pretty aerial character, which makes shielding (falcos killing nemesis) useless.
Mario's aerials -are- disjointed, though none of them beats Falco's U-Smash, so that much is correct. Mario doesn't have to approach though, which means he can shield (or spotdodge) Falco's U-Smash, then punish with D-Smash, which either kills or set up gimps.

The problem with marios gimping is that falco probably won't easily let himself get hit that far offstage, and even if he's hit offstage, good DI will solve his problem. On a stage like BF your chance of gimping him with fludd/cape is like 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 because we can easily mixup the height of our phantasm (top platform, lower platform, on the stage, on the ledge), even then the timing of the phantasm can be mixed up by using firebird, or even be changed in distance with cancels, which both aren't THAT good, admittedly, but still every asset is nice.
lol @ the decimal, but besides that, yeah. Battlefield is a very nice stage for Falco. Top platform though? Not seeing it. It's way too telegraphed and allows Mario to captialize. The side platforms though yes, granted Mario can punish those too.

As for getting hit far offstage, I'm not sure what you mean by this. D-Smash does the job rather easily, and so does any of Mario's aerials minus D-air (And F-air). B-throw can too, though that throw is weaksauce due to extremely easy DI. As said before though, unless Falco floats back to the stage, using Side-B in general hurts unless there's a platform to save him. Getting sent off the edge early hurts too since that leads him in range to be caped.

Falco has edgeguards, which is pretty much enough to edgeguard mario, while I honestly don't think Falco will gimp mario often (like once in a 3match set max) its still a hindrance and will force mario to be smart with recovering, a cape stall can result in a bair, which is pretty much a gimp. or even a dair
Agreed here. Damage is damage, and with a match like this, giving whatever damage is important. Mario can't just plow through Falco's attempts to gimp.

who cares about you killing at which percentage, learn your opponents to avoid your kill moves, and even then it doesnt matter how you kill in other mus, its about falco vs mario.
Killing at what percent is rather factorable, granted racking up damage is more important. Thing is, both characters are good at giving damage, so kill% becomes more important to look at.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Did you just say Mario's shield is useless? Also, our Fsmash has amazing range and our Usmash has very deceiving disjoints. Also, we have some very quick and good ground moves. Our ground game actually isn't that bad. It's not as good as Falco's of course but we have nice quick pokes, setups, and just some damage racking.

This really sounds like you have never played a good Mario. It's not hard to gimp Falco at all. Get him off stage with a move with good horizontal range like Dsmash and just edgeguard. You will eventually use your 2nd jump and attempt phantasm. You can cape right there. If you don't recover high even with DI to a point where you will have to phantasm, we just douse some water. If you have 100% or more, then we can just have it so that you don't get on the ledge. You are in freefall and it's an easy Fsmash.

It actually matters what percent you kill at quite a bit. The fact that Mario can kill Falco at a lower percent than Falco can kill Mario is an advantage for Mario. One that's quite helpful since Mario has some fast kill moves that will work.

EDIT: It seems that it's almost unanimous that it's 55:45 Falco. If you guys wanna move on we can. I personally wanna rediscuss Wario.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, for some reason I feel Wario is easier than Falco, even if the matchup might be technically worse. It's easier in the sense that the matchup in many ways requires less patience fundamentally to establish a poke game for some consistent damage.

Wario doesn't projectile camp, so you can get him to approach. Mario has some longer ranged spacing in his B-air that's hard for Wario to challenge directly, and he's also imo the perfect weight for U-air juggles if you can start them.

The matchup however is blatantly in Wario's favor since he will rarely get gimped if he knows what he's doing, and he survives really long, and kills you significantly earlier. He's also really stupid in general once he gets in and starts pressuring you, since he does a TON of damage per hit.

NNID
LilG912
Wario is somewhat easier than Falco, maybe. Wario's aerial mobility is tooo good but we can still juggle him tho. Mario's F-smash > Wario's F-smash in range. He got the better recovery and better DI, his killing power is better than Mario's killing power. We only have the juggles and range.

Famous

Smash Champion
Wario can't approach if Mario doesn't stay grounded...

I wouldn't compete with Wario's FSmash since of the SA frames...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Wario is another one of those "Paper vs Practicality" Match-ups. Statistically speaking, Wario beats Mario in various ranges especially in the recovery business, but when applying this on-stage this often feels like an even match due to Mario's mix-ups.

B-air is your best friend here. Wario's aerial speed doesn't make camping very viable, and this is generally a match where you have to pressure Wario pretty hard but not be too aggressive. Wario is godly at spacing, but FLUDD and B-air really messes him up. I wouldn't apply ground game much. Just jab or D-Smash to get Wario away from you. F-Smash if possible. Save U-Smash for KOs though.

It's definitely 60:40 Wario. He's capable of living longer, has an S-tier recovery, and can kill faster than Mario, but that's all stats. B-air pressure and messing up Wario's approaches with FLUDD does plenty this match.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
MMMM ONSTER POST, sorry for double posting marios, forgot to edit my old post :/ (i realised this halfway through xd)

Mario's jab comes out on the same frame as Falco's. You're right about it having more range and leading into grabs than most of Mario's ground options though. You forget though, Mario will generally contest with SH aerials, usually B-air or N-air. I believe N-air beats Jab.
His aerial game gets shut down by lasers and our (probably best in the game) vertical acceleration, I think utilt usmash fsmash ftilt and jab pretty much beat all your aerials. (out of our ground moves)
True, but Mario doesn't try to outcamp, he just kills it completely. Cape back lasers, and FLUDD absolutely destroys his camp game and kills his SHDL set-ups. Falco will have to be careful when he camps, especially if he's at the edge. If he's FLUDDed off the stage, he's forced to take time to recover and Mario is enabled to get close without reprecussions.
cape lasers? what if I decide to camp on midrange like we do against ness and gaw? I dont take the edge against a gimping character either, but that possibility depends on the stage (easier on bf etc)
This is actually false. In the middle of FD, Mario's F-Smash kills Falco at 100% while Falco's F-Smash kills Mario at 120% due to Falco being lighter (this does not factor in DI and MB). Mario's U-Smash kills Falco at 125%, and nothing from Falco's moveset beyond F-Smash beats that, not even his next best kill move, U-smash, which goes even. (127% to be exact, but who cares).
So in reality Mario has the better kill potential, but since Falco's U-Smash is easier to land than Mario's, I'm going to say they're even on killing.
If you have more trouble landing a kill move, how can you say killing is even? Diddy's fsmash has a pretty neat killing percent, same for fair, still diddys opponents often live till ~200. true, stupid comparisment, but just an example.
Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean Falco's Side-B, Mario beats Phantasm in a number of ways (Fireball, N-air, FLUDD, Cape if you're unlucky).
Vertical acceleration, and phantasm. If you're planning on beating phantasm on stage, you have to predict it. It should not get predicted that easily against any good falco, still most falcos do this wrong.
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say Mario's recovery is actually better.

Falco can do three things when recovering:

-Side-B on the stage. (Mario can FLUDD or N-air this)
-Side-B to the ledge (Ledgehog, or fireball this and force Falco to Up-B if no 2nd jump)
-Up-B (You're asking to be caped)

Mario can only do one thing when recovering, but thing is, Mario's recovery is very very safe as long he DIs upward every time.

-Fireball when recovering (stops aerial attempts, but doesn't do much against lasers)
-FLUDD aerial and ledgehog attempts (also stops D-air attempts from Falco)
-Up-B itself is about as good as Marth's, only with less horizontal range and kill power. This definitely stops Falco's D-air unless spaced correctly.
-Cape for a -slight- vertical boost upward and overall stalling.

So Falco has more of a mix-up but Mario generally won't get gimped unless he's sent below or WoP'd.
Falcos recovery is not limited, see below.
Inclined to agree here, though Falco's lasers can set up Mario to be ledgehogged.
Mhm I dunno, it shouldn't happen often at all.
Can anyone check if Falco's B-air beats any of Mario's aerials? I know it beats N-air, but not sure about Mario's B-air.
If Falco does it rising+spaced, it beats everything.
I also believe Falco's D-air stops juggles, though again not sure. I know Mario doesn't completely **** Falco in the air though, so he's gotta have something.
Dair? could be true, I honestly think marios uair hitbox is vague
I will agree with Famous that Falco's CG is not very big in this match, in fact it's pretty minor due to Mario being a combo character allowing him to close the gap pretty quickly, especially with U-tilt locks. That is, if Mario gets grabbed in the first place.

A big factor in this match though is Mario's gimp ability. FLUDD hurts Falco so much for this match-up to the point where the only way he can't be gimped by Mario is to not use Side-B at all and recover high.

There are a few things stopping this from being Mario's advantage outright.

-Lasers. Despite Mario being able to shut them down, they're still usable, and thus are still a nuisance, especially off-stage.
-The Chaingrab. Not the chaingrab itself, but what it can lead to. Gatling Combo hurts like hell and is a guaranteed set-up if done correctly (60-ish% damage overall). It evens out Mario's better combo ability.
-Falco's Ground game contesting Mario's aerial game. Falco's F-tilt and U-Tilt are a ***** to get past when using aerials on a grounded Falco. Then there's the fact that if you're not over 40%, you get CG when approaching grounded (which Mario shouldn't be doing period).

This isn't 40:60 Falco. I even wanna say this is even, but that's on paper. In practicality it's 45:55 Falco. Until Mario has a way to fully contest Falco's ground game (which I might have... but that's theorycraft for now), Mario can't have the advantage.

Oh look, more posts when I'm typing and testing.
The problem with FLUDD is that falco won't give you a break to charge it. We have a limitless projectile, remember? Even then, we can easily mix up our recovery to avoid it.
Isn't CG>spike 0-death? I think it is.
TBH, Falco getting gimped is SO 2009. Even for mario, it is a hard feat and will honestly happen as much as mario getting gimped.
WHAT IS TRUE THOUGH is that mario can take advantage of falcos recovery by giving him damage, while falco cant do that as well with mario ;D
Mario's aerials -are- disjointed, though none of them beats Falco's U-Smash, so that much is correct. Mario doesn't have to approach though, which means he can shield (or spotdodge) Falco's U-Smash, then punish with D-Smash, which either kills or set up gimps.
Mario doesn't have to approach?
On low percentages, Falco will often take the early advantage with lasers and a chaingrab, which forces approaches.
Once mario gets in, he has been through some pain already, and has to keep outpredicting to keep on juggling for that damage.
On mid percentages, Falco can make use of his excellent air game to get some heavy damage besides some chips with phantasm and lasers. Overall Falco holds on the pressure better.
lol @ the decimal, but besides that, yeah. Battlefield is a very nice stage for Falco. Top platform though? Not seeing it. It's way too telegraphed and allows Mario to captialize. The side platforms though yes, granted Mario can punish those too.
Nothing is telegraphed in Falcos recovery if you do is right. What about you´re going for the top platform (which is unusual, how is it telegraphed lol) and you're going there, then I cancel it and land on another platform. Will I go to the ground or stay on the platform? Not so guarenteed or telegraphed now eh?
As for getting hit far offstage, I'm not sure what you mean by this. D-Smash does the job rather easily, and so does any of Mario's aerials minus D-air (And F-air). B-throw can too, though that throw is weaksauce due to extremely easy DI. As said before though, unless Falco floats back to the stage, using Side-B in general hurts unless there's a platform to save him. Getting sent off the edge early hurts too since that leads him in range to be caped.
Nair will probably not hit that often, and any falco will DI all marios aerial upwards as he has no real upwards killer or anything, so even if you hit bair or nair or uair it will have the same trajectory as bthrow
Agreed here. Damage is damage, and with a match like this, giving whatever damage is important. Mario can't just plow through Falco's attempts to gimp.
*nod*
Killing at what percent is rather factorable, granted racking up damage is more important. Thing is, both characters are good at giving damage, so kill% becomes more important to look at.
I disagree, it's about how easy it is to get the kill.

BSP

Smash Legend
What Heromystic said, and mario should avoid the ground. Bair is his best friend, and make sure to save your smashes for kills.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Yea his clap attack could be killer if mario is at the right percentage

________

My bad I thought we were talking about Wario

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
As for vs Falco, I will add that without lasers, Mario outpokes Falco. His F-tilt and B-air are faster and safer moves, and used carefully in close range, those are very difficult for Falco to punish.

Learning to powershield against Falco seems to help a lot in approaching him, and it's something that nobody does enough of currently. Helped me a lot against my friend's Falco in punishing his SideB attempts.

You also probably underestimate how easy it is for Mario to land Up-smash, AND the fact that he has a sliding Up-smash exploit.

Mario's B-throw is also viable as a KO move due to Falco's light weight. F-smash is not necessarily hard to land due to the massive range (and it's faster than Falco's F-smash) and probably kills Falco at like 85% Up-angled.

Fireballs are also underused edgeguard tools.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
His aerial game gets shut down by lasers and our (probably best in the game) vertical acceleration, I think utilt usmash fsmash ftilt and jab pretty much beat all your aerials. (out of our ground moves)
Jab does not, F-tilt has to be angled up, but yes. U-smash does, and U-tilt only does if Mario is coming from above. To the side Mario can poke with B-air.

cape lasers? what if I decide to camp on midrange like we do against ness and gaw? I dont take the edge against a gimping character either, but that possibility depends on the stage (easier on bf etc)
Granted you shouldn't be right at the edge, camping midrange is actually worse for Falco. There's two things you're forgetting about Mario that sets him apart from Ness and G&W.

-Mario's cape reflects lasers.
-Ness PSI Magnet and G&W's Bucket have considerable ending lag, enough to be punished for. Mario's does not. You won't have time to punish Mario for it, not to mention you have lasers coming back to you anyway.

If you have more trouble landing a kill move, how can you say killing is even? Diddy's fsmash has a pretty neat killing percent, same for fair, still diddys opponents often live till ~200. true, stupid comparisment, but just an example.
Diddy's F-Smash is retardedly weak due to how easy it is to DI the attack. You can either DI out of it upon the first hit, or you DI the second hit and propel upward, and that doesn't kill until ~180%. F-air is a better kill move, just not as easy to set up as F-Smash is.

Back to Mario though, I never said Mario has trouble landing a kill move. He'll have trouble landing F-Smash, yes. But U-Smash is an entirely different story. Falco's U-Smash is better since it outprioritize Mario's aerials, but Mario's U-Smash clanks with Falco's attacks and comes out quite fast as well. Mario doesn't have trouble landing that. Falco's is just easier. On a note though, Mario's F-Smash is easier to land than Falco's.

Vertical acceleration, and phantasm. If you're planning on beating phantasm on stage, you have to predict it. It should not get predicted that easily against any good falco, still most falcos do this wrong.
Is laser camping then phantasm to the other side of the stage considered doinitwrong? In which case that's with a lot of Falco's. How is Phantasm used in a correct way, if you don't mind explaining?

Falcos recovery is not limited, see below.
It is limited, just gains more options with what stage he is on.

If Falco does it rising+spaced, it beats everything.
Unless someone says differently I'll take your word for it.

The problem with FLUDD is that falco won't give you a break to charge it. We have a limitless projectile, remember? Even then, we can easily mix up our recovery to avoid it.
FLUDD doesn't need to be charged to stop Falco.

-Fully Charged FLUDD pushes Falco back.
-A spray stops Falco and puts him in front of Mario.

Isn't CG>spike 0-death? I think it is.
The CG > Spike stopped being feared when it was discovered it can be tech'd. Even then, Mario can DI away from the final D-throw and then use Up-B to stop the spike.

TBH, Falco getting gimped is SO 2009. Even for mario, it is a hard feat and will honestly happen as much as mario getting gimped.
Go to Final Destination or Yoshi's Island and Falco should be getting gimped once per match. Lylat hurts Falco a good deal as well. Smashville can save Falco with the moving platform and Battlefield has already been thoroughly discussed.

Mario doesn't have to approach?
On low percentages, Falco will often take the early advantage with lasers and a chaingrab, which forces approaches.
Already debunked this.

Once mario gets in, he has been through some pain already, and has to keep outpredicting to keep on juggling for that damage.
Can't refute this since I nulled what would lead into this. But if Falco has an early lead, nothing's stopping Mario from applying his ground game to get Falco in the air, granted he is within range as stated in the example.

On mid percentages, Falco can make use of his excellent air game to get some heavy damage besides some chips with phantasm and lasers. Overall Falco holds on the pressure better.
Falco's air game is considered excellent? >.>
I honestly believe they're rather even when it comes to pressure, just that Falco has a better pokes.

Nothing is telegraphed in Falcos recovery if you do is right. What about you´re going for the top platform (which is unusual, how is it telegraphed lol)
Gotta address this first before moving on.

How is it -not- telegraphed? The top platform is farther than the side platform, meaning Falco has to float closer to the stage. Secondly, Falco has to be high enough to phantasm towards it. So if you're going there, it's so obvious that you do that Mario can easily capitalize on it. The only thing you got is Phantasm-cancel, which like you said isn't so great since it puts you on a freefall.

Now for the next part, which connects to what was stated above.

and you're going there, then I cancel it and land on another platform. Will I go to the ground or stay on the platform? Not so guarenteed or telegraphed now eh?
Here's how you counter that.

-Falco is floating back to the stage.
-Mario sets himself up on the side platform.
-Falco phantasms above the platform: Hey, free U-Smash.
-Falco phantasms-cancels above the platform: Hey, free cape/fludd.
-Falco phantasms to the ground: Hey, free N-air.
-Falco phantasms to the ledge: He's generally safe unless Mario predicts you rather easily.

Nair will probably not hit that often, and any falco will DI all marios aerial upwards as he has no real upwards killer or anything, so even if you hit bair or nair or uair it will have the same trajectory as bthrow
True and not true. This would only happen if the move is fresh. Otherwise it'll send you more horizontal than vertical, and in general sets Mario up for another aerial.

Nothing is as bad as B-throw though, lets just get that straight.

I disagree, it's about how easy it is to get the kill.
Agree to disagree I suppose.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
Wario likes to air camp alot. Only reason he might attack on ground would be for fthrows, DAC (never seen a wario use this alot), or Fsmash. We can compete with his air camping with our own aireals, mainly Bair and Nair.

Its going to be hard to gimp Wario because of his godly recovery. Personally, I like to attack him as he jumps off his bike. This seems inpracticle though, as Wario can easily air dodge. Best you can do is Bair edgegaurd him or fire ball him.

Speaking of Air Dodges, wario will be abusing those alot. He can easily weave in and out with them since a SH Air Dodge can last almost for the whole short hop. So it will be hard to actually approach Wario with his Air camping mixed in with air dodges.

As said by Famous, we shouldnt be fighting on the ground, cus Wario's air game completely destroys our ground game. Spacing Bairs, mixed in with some uairs and nairs, will help us compete with his air camping. This is clearly 60:40 Wario for reasons Hero already mentioned. Wario can easily live longer, recover better, and kill faster.

Edit: LOL i accidently typed "Wario can love longer"

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Lasers is why Falco wins this MU and is why he is such a good character. This duscussion is done.

On to Wario. He's a character with a very annoying and odd playstyle. He jumps around going in and out using his amazing aerial mobility. and gets you with a dair while weaving out. The way for us to win this MU is to outcamp him. Keep using SH fireballs. You don't want him above you or you'll get hit by dair. Stay in the air. Wario beats almost all of our aerials. Luckily, he doesn't beat our bair which is a really big upside for us. With a combination of fireballs, bair, and nair, Wario doesn't have a safe approach on us.
If you are on the ground, Utilt is very helpful. I use it quite a lot to fight his approach.

A big thing on Wario is if you get a stock lead you are in a good position, but if they are beating you by a stock, it's not easy. From my experiences Wario will keep avoiding you by moving around using his superior aerial mobility. This is a problem because this good Mario stages like BF and Brinstar very hard for Mario to fight him on. It's a pain. I'd fight him on YI or Lylat. If you are confident enough to go to BF then go for it. Brinstar is Wario's best stage. You shouldn't go there.

Wario has the worst grab release in the game. Can somebody check if Mario has a grab release on Wario?

I think this is actually an even MU.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
We can probably only dair,uair, bair, nair, or maybe even usmash out of Wario's grab release. Not really sure, but it seems like those moves are fast enough.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Im gonna keep on discussing if you guys don't mind, I obviously have something to say against Mystic and I'm having fun in this D:

Matt07

Smash Master
Mario has a grab release up smash on Wario.

Special shout-out to Xonar to discussing the match-up with us, great output from a Falco main (I mean that in the sense, you main Falco, not saying Falco users are bad at discussing match-up's.) And I'd like to hear the debate on this match-up, its pretty good :).

UberMario

Smash Master
Mario has a grab release up smash on Wario.
I'm guessing this means that if you get hold of him and just keep punching that you can finish up with an Up smash when he breaks free?

I'd say this is 55:45 in Wario's favor, he's got a ridiculous amount of super armor frames and is practically gimp-immune. Wario beats Mario in the air, and Mario has to keep an eye not to be in range of his UpAerial or a fully-charged blast. The bike can be caped, but that really has no effect because the bike doesn't go over edges when all wheels are on the ground, I have noticed that FSmash can break through it if timed right. One big advantage Mario has is projectile game, which is far superior to Wario's (lol bike throw) and needs to be abused whenever it can. Otherwise either stay mid-range/far-range or juggle.

Can anyone test FLUDD against an airborne bike-riding Wario to see what occurs?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I would have alot more to say but Uber put it out there

Wario's aerila game is killer, his upAir strong

He good on ground to, using the bike and stuff.....

His attack speed is good but has high ending lag.

Wario also has Projectile, His bike but it sucks and won't help out much

I don't know about priority

His projectile is better
Can reflect
Faster overall....I think

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Im gonna keep on discussing if you guys don't mind, I obviously have something to say against Mystic and I'm having fun in this D:
:laugh: Fine with me. I'm gonna go ahead and revive the Match-Up Index and update it to make it compatible with Inferno's list. The dicussion can carry on there since that thread is pretty much made to debate ratios, amongst other things.

Btw Uber, for a 45:55 that's a lot of disadvantages you gave, lol.

vato_break

Smash Master
60:40 wario simply because wario won't die and he can kill you really early. You won't land a Fsmash to kill in this match unless you happen to space it if he's coming up from the ledge or something. So you might as well use it at low percents(upair->fsmash works nice)And you won't gimp unless he has his bikeon stage or you spike him when he jumps off his bike.

Bassically all your going to do is bair/fireball spam until he is in KO percents and your going to upsmash oos.You don't want to stay in one place you want to move as much as he does.Alot of warios will air camp you and bait you to do mistakes. Keep a eye on the clock because his fart is strongest after a minute(ithink). basically mario can wall wario's approaches if you read his airdodges properly.Watch out for his bite too it has extrme priority only thing that we have to counter that is cape.i play a good wario all time(fox16) this match can be hard if you tend to aproah alot.dont let wario get the lead

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Any stages Wario should be taken on? I'm thinking Final Destination due to how straightforward this match is. I can see PS1 helping too, but I never liked that stage, period.

Also, should the Wario mains be called in? Though, it looks like we have this match-up set.

vato_break

Smash Master
FD,SV,YI(he has trouble maneuvering, gets grab released...upair/upsmash?), basically anystage where getting back on the stage isn't predictable because wario can do some dumb stuff to you on the edge.

You should probably ban either brinstar,frigate,or delphino.

Ps1 helps wario survive longer/camp the trasformations for wafts so don't take him there

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I would have alot more to say but Uber put it out there

Wario's aerila game is killer, his upAir strong

He good on ground to, using the bike and stuff.....

His attack speed is good but has high ending lag.

Wario also has Projectile, His bike but it sucks and won't help out much

I don't know about priority

His projectile is better
Can reflect
Faster overall....I think
The bike is not a projectile. Although his aerial game is good, Uair is his only aerial kill move which isn't that good. Mario is faster and can outcamp Wario. His ground game is pretty good, but the bike isn't hard to avoid. Having high ending lag is a very bad trait. Makes him highly punishable. Any smash he uses that miss or is Dsmash (lol) is asking for an Fsmash.

60:40 wario simply because wario won't die and he can kill you really early. You won't land a Fsmash to kill in this match unless you happen to space it if he's coming up from the ledge or something. So you might as well use it at low percents(upair->fsmash works nice)And you won't gimp unless he has his bikeon stage or you spike him when he jumps off his bike.

Bassically all your going to do is bair/fireball spam until he is in KO percents and your going to upsmash oos. You don't want to stay in one place you want to move as much as he does. Alot of warios will air camp you and bait you to do mistakes. Keep a eye on the clock because his fart is strongest after a minute(ithink). basically mario can wall wario's approaches if you read his airdodges properly.Watch out for his bite too it has extrme priority only thing that we have to counter that is cape. i play a good wario all time(fox16) this match can be hard if you tend to approach alot.dont let wario get the lead
His fart is best half charged which is between one minute and when he starts blinking brown (approximately 2 minutes). Just to remind people, THIS IS NOT USED AS AN ATTACK. This is a punisher. Although we can merely fireball/bair spam, that's all we need to have Wario unable to approach safely. Actually, I was told Wario isn't hard to gimp if you know how (I don't know how personally).

A little more tidbits, Wario's boxing game is trash while Mario's is beastly. Wario doesn't have the range to keep Mario out and we will just use our fast moves to rack up damage when he gets in.

UberMario

Smash Master
Btw Uber, for a 45:55 that's a lot of disadvantages you gave, lol.
Yeah, I would have said 60:40 Wario's favor, but if Mario keeps away and spams fireball it BARELY closes the gap.

Any smash he uses that miss or is Dsmash (lol) is asking for an Fsmash.
Yeah, I could never figure out how the developers only gave the DSmash one hit, it visually looks like an attack that should multi-hit like Pikachu's jab or Mario's SSB Tornado, but you can just walk up and stand next to him after he initiates it and nothing will happen to you lol.

Actually, I was told Wario isn't hard to gimp if you know how (I don't know how personally).
Wario basically has a better recovery than Meta-Knight when it comes to making it back to the stage. He can use two mid-air jumps (the normal one and the bike jump) AND has three recoveries that can be used back to back. One that covers an insane amount of vertical ground, another that defies gravity, and, as a last resort, a laggy short recovery that moves in slow motion that can potentially be used to make a edgegrabber let go if need be. The only Warios I've ever found easy are the ones that don't know when to fart or how to drive in mid-air, which is basically anyone that is new to the characters play-style.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Actually, I was told Wario isn't hard to gimp if you know how (I don't know how personally).
Some tips:

Use N-air to hit him out of his bike, you can Cape his Up-B really easily if he doesn't space it precisely.

UberMario

Smash Master
Some tips:

Use N-air to hit him out of his bike, you can Cape his Up-B really easily if he doesn't space it precisely.
Are you referring to in mid-air? Doesn't his bike point upwards when he's using it as a recovery?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can point the bike in any direction you want, if Wario points the bike upwards, he gets extra jump height, meaning he can reach the edge from the blast zone. You won't hit Wario with nair when he does that, lol.

No one can gimp a Wario that's being careful, not even MK. Also... turning Wario away with the cape doesn't really accomplish that much, b/c his aerial speed is so fast XD

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can point the bike in any direction you want, if Wario points the bike upwards, he gets extra jump height, meaning he can reach the edge from the blast zone. You won't hit Wario with nair when he does that, lol.
Entirely depends on DI, but assuming he DIs correctly, he'll avoid it easily. If he has to recover from low and Mario is fairly closeby (possibly after F-throw), then he's in trouble.

Top Bottom