• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Combo String / Pseudo Thread

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Alright, this thread is basically to list a lot of potential combo strings, dthrow follow ups, pseudo-combos, anything of that sort. I'll try to update it every other day or so, possibly every day. This is to give some people some idea to start mixing up there game.
I WILL UPDATE THIS WITH ANY ADDITIONS I SEE FROM POSTS, SO CONTRIBUTE EVERYONE

::KEY::
vert combo = combo upwards, usually... usmash > nair/uair > tether
horizontal combo = combo sideways, just continue any of the strings i listed
dj = double jump
pseudo-combos = combos that predict air dodges and re-grabbed, or following up.
richbrowncombo = dthrow > white sideb > jump past reverse purp > regrab
fox trot = using only initial dash animation and then stopping, can do anything afterwards
string = any of the other dthrow combo follow ups, horizontal/vertical combo
ff = fast fall

::::::::::::::::::: D-Throw Follow-ups :::::::::::::::::::
Before I list any strings, remember you can potentially dthrow > dthrow > dthrow > string on fast fallers before continuing the string, i wouldn't recommend any past 2 unless fox pretty much, which I'v gotten up to 5 before =]

~~Pseudo-Combos~~
assume these are at low-med%, as pseudo-combos are rarely seen at higher %'s
if they DI towards you...

dthrow > charge dsmash they will usually air dodge into you
dthrow > charge fsmash they will usually air dodge into you, most effective on heavies. can sometimes regrab after
dthrow > charge usmash > vert combo
dthrow > usmash > pivot grab air dodge (may be able to do steps 1-3 on fox twice) >
dthrow > usmash > wait for air dodge > grab/pivot grab > string
dthrow > string
dthrow > wait for them to air dodge > regrab dthrow > string
dthrow > pivot grab

if they DI away from you...

dthrow > wait for airdodge > regrab > string
dthrow > run forward shield grab their attack (like mk's dair) > dthrow/uthrow > string
dthrow > if they jump before you can do anything, you may be able to tether / predict jump uair

~~Strings~~
if they DI towards you...

dthrow > usmash > nair/uair > tether
dthrow > usmash > usmash > vert combo (may work on fast fallers, not often but sneaky)

dthrow > fair > (regrab is possible if they don't jump out)
dthrow > fair > run past pivot grab > dthrow > usmash > nair/uair > tether
dthrow > fair > dtilt > usmash > nair/uair > tether (THIS IS MY FAVORITE BY FAR. I USE THIS A LOT)
dthrow > fair > dtilt > pivot grab (must run past them to be able to pivot grab)

dthrow > nair > nair/uair/tether at low % > tether (if you used previous step)

dthrow > dair > dsmash (all dthrow dair are usually tech chases afterwards, if they spike, or else they aren't strings)
dthrow > dair > fsmash in the direction he rolls
dthrow > dair > usmash > vert combo
dthrow > dair > jab x1 to force get up > regrab/smash
dthrow > dair > dair > tether
dthrow > dair > utilt > vert combo/regrab/pseudo smash
dthrow > dair > shield grab get up attack > grab string

dthrow > dthrow > dthrow > follow up (fast fallers)

dthrow > richbrowncombo
dthrow > purp sideb > regrab/fsmash/fair
dthrow > side b > air dodge > u-tilt > if they di out, you can regrab/smash/dtilt if not will knock them up and you can tether or play it safe

dthrow > tether/sh tether (low-mid%)
dthrow > dj tether (at higher %'s this works, nice way to get someone off stage if purple next)

if they DI away from you...

dthrow > fair > fsmash
dthrow > pseudo grab > string (if done on mk, do it one more time they may nair/dair and you can shield grab; or they prolly jump up and away and u may tether
dthrow > purp sideb > regrab/fsmash

:::::::::::::::::::Other Grab Combos:::::::::::::::::::

fthrow > fsmash > fsmash/regrab/horizontal combo (at low % usually)
fthrow > pseudo-grab > dthrow string
fthrow > shield grab > string
fthrow > fox trot forwards > pivot grab > string (really sneaky :p)

bthrow > pseudo-grab > dthrow string
bthrow > fsmash > fsmash/regrab/horizontal combo (at low % usually)
bthrow/fthrow > fair > dair (this is amazing on snakes, i bthrow off stage they usually jump so i jump fair them out of anything and spike them.)
bthrow > charge usmash (sorta a pseudo i guess, but if they get used to the bthrow > fair > spike then a snake/other char will jump and attack next time, so u just stand on stage and they jump right into a fully charged usmash. WORKS ON HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS IF BAITED CORRECTLY)

uthrow > tether (mid% only, sometimes low on floaty chars)

:::::::::::::::::::platform Combos:::::::::::::::::::

<<insert all vertical strings here>>

usmash > ANYTHING (I LOVE THIS! if they shield ur first usmash, especially on stages like bf, they may fall off the platform and start tumbling. you can get a FREE usmash/regrab/anything here. Better do it quick though, they can tech it =3)

ff uair > (purp sideb) fair/uair/nair > vert combo if fair is not used

dair > dsmash (if spike on platform, only works if they don't getup attack)

:::::::::::::::::::Aerial Combos:::::::::::::::::::

<<insert any vertical string here =D>>

purp sideb > fair
purp sideb > white sideb
yellow sideb > fair will knock him up and away into the yellow sideb

tether > tether > tether (spammable if you land without lag, can sometimes hit with multiple if they don't expect it, good for edge guarding abilities if they are high)

fair > fair > fair/regrab > string
fair > dair spike (off stage at low-med%) (ken combo lawlzzz)

WAC (if you WAC like a marths fair, this is guaranteed) > grounded nair > smash
g(grounded) nair> pivot grab/standing grab
g nair > jab x2 > dash regrab > string
g nair > dtilt > vert combo
g nair > utilt
g nair > utilt > dtilt > vert combo
g nair > u tilt > vert combo
g nair > u tilt > smash if they di out and land near you, i like to charge a dsmash and pseudo
g nair > charge smash if they try to side step, or have side stepped in the past..prediction
g nair > sh dair > tech chase

bair > fair (most bair combos only work if the bair sends them IN FRONT OF YOU)
bair > purp sideb > fair
bair > regrab

nair > tether
nair > nair > tether
nair > dair spike > g nair > string

:::::::::::::::::::Ground Combos:::::::::::::::::::

any horizontal combo dthrow follow up

dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > usmash > vert combo (multi dtilt low % fast fallers, 20-30 on fox)
dtilt > pivot grab (must run past them to pivot grab)

utilt > dtilt > vert combo
utilt > utilt > usmash(if they di out) / vert combo (if they don't)

purp sideb > regrab (usually low-med% unless you pseudo)
purp sideb > ftilt (only if you are close to them when you sideb)
purp sideb > white sideb

fsmash > regrab

:::::::::::::::::::Wall Locks:::::::::::::::::::

purp side b (requires 3+). just time even throws, if more than 3 purps dont need to time

bthrow > jab jab jab (at ~75% stop and usmash, don't do on mk unless he's at least 10%, or he can get out)

space your fsmashes so only the weak part hits, and you can spam fsmash until either a) a purple comes or b) you go for the kill

fthrow > (low %)^^^^^^^^^^^^^read above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dtilt > dtilt > dtilt (only on fox i think, can do it over and over up to maybe 50, i could be wrong, verification please?)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Purple Pikmin toss to Fair should be mentioned out of Dthrow, imo. It's percentage dependant, but is as legit as a lot of these. Plus its flashy as hell :p

You're a brave man.

*salutes*

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Would "shorthopped Dair > Dsmash" be the sort of thing you're referring to?

Fino

Smash Master
:D

I'll read through this carefully to give any suggestions later.
Same... lol.
*plays a character that can combo in brawl*
*feels proud*
*loves icy for trying this*

One I didn't notice (one of my personal favorites on characters like snake)
dthrow > fair > dtilt > pivot grab (running towards opponent) > profit

~Fino

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
This is really good. You're the best icy!

I believe u can also ftilt after dthrow, cud be okay in case u have a white next. u can follow up with a pkmin toss (okay depending on %) then regrab. Won't it be easier to regarb after ftilt then fair cause of lower knockback. Or am I just completely wrong.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i have never heard of such nonsense, if anyone has tested this dthrow > ftilt business with a legit follow up, please get back to me. i'll try it out this weekend when im at tourney though...it seems dumb enough to be amazing :D (may work, but may not be the best option, we will see)

Fino

Smash Master
i have never heard of such nonsense, if anyone has tested this dthrow > ftilt business with a legit follow up, please get back to me. i'll try it out this weekend when im at tourney though...it seems dumb enough to be amazing :D (may work, but may not be the best option, we will see)
it's called a wifi combo... because you wanted to dthrow SH fair, but you lagged an ftilt instead... usually it gets punished / can't be followed up with (could be another thing due to lag <.<'' )

~Fino

RichBrown

Smash Master
Great topic, this will help me incorporate Dtilt into my game, to this day I still don't really use it, which is bad because it's such a great setup move. And I see I already contributed to this topic before even clicking on it :p

RichBrown

Smash Master
I get it sometimes lol, I actually forgot about it. I've hardly played irl lately, although I'm going to a smashfest tonight, i'll let you know how it goes :p

Savvy

Smash Cadet
OMG icylights FTW. ive been waiting for one of these. I actually made a flow chart for my self that is pretty much a copy of this but yours is AWESOME!!!! Thank you

Not sure if this is the same as "grounded nair" but i use this one often
short hop or fast fall nair > up tilit > Usmash/uair/up+B

IcyLight

Smash Lord
ok, so i forgot to test dthrow > ftilt, but i find it kind of useless anyways, may work but not best option, so not going to add

RICHBROWNCOMBO IS AMAZING. you just dthrow > sideb white > reverse sideb purp > regrab

it actually works, and it's ****ing mind games

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
impressive icy, you hit me with too many of these :( we need to play more next time, fun games.

Oli is still gay though lol

Denti

Smash Master
near the begining when you have down throw combos, when they DI away from you can't you dash grab? or you can wait for the air dodge then dash grab. but then they might DI away from you then jump, then idk what else.. just make them suffer for wasting their jumps lol predict air dodges more when this happens i suppose because their in panik mode because they don't have anymore jumps

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
**** u Llumys r a ****! LOL. Dthrow filt may not be so good but w/e, i just brought it up.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I don't even know if this belongs here, but something I figured out that works on snake players for some reason:

Dthrow-Usmash. For some reason after you do this, they like to fastfall airdodge. So after the Usmash, I just pivot grab them on the other side, then I'll usually Uthrow, and they tend to DI it really funky, leading to whatever I want. Even if they do jump away instead, you're in a fine position. Just watch for the bair, although they probably aren't gonna do that because it seems stupid to do in that situation.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I don't even know if this belongs here, but something I figured out that works on snake players for some reason:

Dthrow-Usmash. For some reason after you do this, they like to fastfall airdodge. So after the Usmash, I just pivot grab them on the other side, then I'll usually Uthrow, and they tend to DI it really funky, leading to whatever I want. Even if they do jump away instead, you're in a fine position. Just watch for the bair, although they probably aren't gonna do that because it seems stupid to do in that situation.
ahh yeah i forgot about this. this also works on fox, but against fox you can....
dthrow > usmash > dthrow > usmash > follow air dodge regrab > string
i'll add it to pseudo-combo section

I think that at mid %s Olimar can dair-dair or whatever like falco can...
ill try to remember to test this, but if you happen to, can you let me know the results? i'll add it if it works

RichBrown

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VvLEpY7rBE

This is where I got the idea with the dairs, go to 1:57. I think Olimar is capable of doing the same thing. I tried experimenting in training mode with dair-dair-dtilt-whatever. The 2nd dair spikes them into the ground. Again this is only training mode stuff, I have yet to try it in the real world. I gotta remember to test this stuff out in friendlies, I always forget.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
U know when u run the u pivot and the dust comes up then u move forward a bit then your doing a grab. Whats that called.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Oh, with platform combos, I almost always sh Uair-upB. If they shield the entire Uair, they almost always get hit by the upB.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Oh, with platform combos, I almost always sh Uair-upB. If they shield the entire Uair, they almost always get hit by the upB.

no no no no no

if you do that, and they shield the full uair, dj and nair and it will combo into a tether
the nair is pretty much 100% chance to either a) break shield or b) force them to drop

RichBrown

Smash Master
What I was gonna add to the end of mine but was too lazy but in retrospect realized I shoulda added: After you upB, if they manage to shield it, if you did it right you'll be on the platform, and you can smash or something lolololol

But imma try yours too Icy, I find myself in that situation all the time so I know I can get it.

Did anyone watch that vid I posted? I think Olimar can do something similar.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
nair is a better option unless they are at higher %, you may be able to throw in a mix up and mid games the **** out of them

Zori

Smash Champion
I was thinking about this new combo, say you and your opponent are on a platform, olimar can drop down and uair and "trap" someone and finish up with a upsmash, I think you can powershield the upsmash but I dunno I'm lazy

:]

Top Bottom