• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The State of Brawl in Japan: 3rd Update 14/02/10

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
For those of you who don't know me, I'm an Australian based smasher currently living and smashing just outside Tokyo, Japan. I've been here for a few months already, and will be here until the end of February next year.

Since arriving, I make an effort to locate nearby smashers, and learn the Japanese way of doing things. Our scenes have always been so separate; obviously language playing a part. But it wasn't until I began playing some of the more high ranking players that I started realizing how underdeveloped the Western metagame really is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at anybody, or saying that Western pros are actually that good, but rather, that the Japanese do a bunch of things that we don't, and if we integrated their metagame with ours, then competitive smash would be taken to an entire new level.

So basically in this thread, I would like to discuss the differences between the Eastern and Western brawl metagames. Firstly, the Japanese Tier List:

http://www.sekieigym.com/rankingX.html

S+: Metaknight
S: Snake
A: Falco, Pit, Marth, Fox, Wario, Diddy, King Dedede
B: Olimar, Game and Watch, Zelda/Shiek, Wolf, Zero Suit Samus, ROB
C: Ice Climbers, Toon Link, Kirby, Lucario, Pikachu
D: Donkey Kong, Peach, Ike, Lucas, Mario
E: Bowser, Pokemon Trainer, Link, Yoshi, Ness, Luigi
F: Ganon, Samus, Falcon, Sonic, Jigglypuff

Important to note here that Japan doesn't have an SBR or similar, so there are numerous tier lists floating about, although they are all very similar (this is one that a smasher I know created).

Main differences here are that Fox and Pit are really quite high, Ice climbers are low, and Sonic has been completely rejected. But why?

I actually spent most of today playing with Yui (regarded as the best fox in Japan if not the world), and quite frankly, got obliterated. I'm not a noob but any stretch (one of the best in Australia, in fact), but he crapped all over me. Short hop laser forces an approach from most characters, nair is amazing for setting up combos/strings/gimps, and he's constantly on the move. Admittedly I really didn't know the matchup and started adjusting after a time, he would still connect hits completely across the stage and score incredible amounts of damage without me touching the ground. And shield a hit and use usmash to finish. Quite frankly, I've never seen/experienced anything like it. Fox is a character with amazing potential, although he is willing to admit that Pikachu is rather, impossible. Pikachu isn't especially popular in Japan though (MK and Marth are everywhere, and both can shut down Pikachu quite well), so this is why Yui can get away with maining Fox. That being said, we seconds an amazing MK and Snake, so cps are too much of an issue.

I am yet to play Masashi, so I can't really comment on Pit too correctly at this time. Although I do know that he ledges like crazy, and camps like nobodies business, making all matchups winnable to some extent. Pit doesn't have a counter in the same way as Fox does, mind you.

Ice climbers... When you're as perfect as they are, you don't get grabbed. Perfect spacing and auto-cancelling, and you can slowly chip Nana away until there is only Popo left. They don't rate Ics very highly because they don't really have any grab setups, so they can really only get a grab if the opponent makes a mistake. Play the game everyday all day and you wouldn't make mistakes either. Not to mention, with good SDI quite a number of players can SDI through blizzard and counter with some aerial. MK really ***** them if you rknow how to do this properly.

And Sonic, I don't know cause I don't care too much for him. I'll find out if someone really wants me too...

And just in general, some of the things they do are quite incredible and I haven't seen then done by any Western players. There was one guy I was watching a couple of weeks ago (he mains random) using Marth and versing an MK, and he consistently (like, 9 times out of 10) sweetspotted a Dolphin Slash while trapped in MK's tornado. And they do this sort of crazy stuff all the time. AND if I get footstooled out of my cypher recovery at the bottom of the screen one more time I think I'm gonna scream.

But yeah, I left my recording equipment back home, so until my brother sends it to me, I don't have videos. Will hopefully start putting some up around Christmas though.

And if there is anything anyone wants to ask me about the Japanese scene, or something you want me to ask them (my Japanese is pretty good) feel free.

Until then.

UPDATE 27/12/09: TSUDANUMA RANDOM BATTLE

yes, i went to my first japanese tournament today. before i go into details about the players, i would first like to discuss some of the different rules and format they have. some of it is good, some, not so good...

- 5 rounds of 'pools' by where winners verse winners and losers verse losers. top half qualify for 'A' bracket. bottom half qualify for 'B' bracket.
- for 'pools', characters and ports are selected by agreement on a matchup. this is stupid.
- random stages here are FD, SV and BF. because they do not believe the game's algorithms to be properly random, the stage is chosen out of a hat by a TO. this stage applies to everyone that round. there is no stage cancelling here.
- 'pools' are consistuted of one round. try not to sd...

- after 5 rounds, the top half go into the 'A' bracket, and the bottom half in the 'B' bracket. seeding is used to organize within the brackets.
- 'A' bracket is a double elimination bracket, but are all 1 round except for winners' final, losers' final and the grand final. those matches are best of 3.
- 'B' bracket is single elimination, constituted of 1 round matches (except for the grand final, which is best out of 3). once again, try not to sd...
- the stage rules for both 'A' and 'B' brackets are the same. players do rock-paper-scissors before they start. the winning player bans a stage (out of FD, SV and BF), chooses their preferred port and chooses their character second. the losing players picks the stage out of the remaining two. once again, very dangerous when its 1 round only. i lost because i lost rock-paper-scissors...
- stages for counterpicking for those matches that involve best out of three are only out of FD, BF and SV. the stupid 'not picking a stage youve already won on' rule doesnt exist here.

- mk/pit are only allowed to fly under the stage once per time theyre off the edge. after flying under the stage, they are not allowed to do so again until they have STOOD on the stage (not ledge grabbed).
- you arent allowed to change your controls (i got screwed over here). the reason for this (i was told) is that it takes too much time. but given that you cant even do it in the grand final, i do not think this is the case.
- in order to discourage timing out, not only is the timer 10 minutes, but also, in the match ends in a time up, you play sudden death (lol). although this did result in the best finish to a match ive ever seen.
- all wiis and tvs are turned off during winners', losers' and grand finals. this creates a massive crowd and massive hype.
- this particular tourney had 96 entrants.

ok, so with that out of the way, the tournament itself. most of the popular ones were present: rain, brood, L, disk, bombsoldier to name a few. in the end, the tourney was won by a toon link in two sets (named Smasher). he was actually freakin amazing.

one of the main things i noticed straight away is how many underused characters are actually used in japan. im not sure about america, but in australia at least, probably 2/3 of the characters used are from the top (half) of the tier list. in japan, this appeared not to be the case. lots of ike (so much ike), lucario, bowser and other characters of the same level. that being said, everyone can use mk, and they generally choose to at the first sight of ice climbers...

another thing i noticed was the complete lack of pikachu. out of 96 people, i didnt see a single one. marth seems to be everywhere, however, so perhaps that is why. there was one really **** sheik but i cant remember his name... Asu, maybe?

sorry pit fanboys, no decent pits were present. although after talking with the guys, it seems that pit is ONLY high on the tier list because masashi seems to do really well with him. they do think all his top tier matchups are 60:40 or better for him, but no one does well with him besides masashi.

yui on the other hand was out and proud, although he was the only fox i actually saw. he beat rain (fox v falco) i rather nice style, and (from memory) came top 4. although i do have on good authority that hes an absolute doosh though (rain wins here).

omg, olimar was everywhere. and theyre so good with him. best oli (Brood) beat the best snake in a best of three. 2 stocked. not sure why he's so popular, but as a snake main, i find it horrible.

best ice climber goes by the title of kakera. it looked like he was buffering standard dthrow/bthrow chaingrabs. ive never seen anyone throw so fast... hes totally ****. doesnt go to tourneys often though.

contrary to popular belief, the official best snake in japan is actually 'shuu', and he happened to be present. very campy but also super pro at edgeguarding in unique ways... and he approaches mk backwards ;)

and the recognized best smasher in japan is actually 'akira', an mk from osaka. not present unfortunately.

in general, japanese smash is very cautious and campy, yet simple, at least, this is how they see themselves. the sudden death rule meanings there is no benefit in timing out your opponent, instead, if someone is not approaching, it is because they cant do so without endangering themselves. to me, this results in a rather slow style of play, but a much less gay one. it creates a different kind of smash, and quite frankly, i think i prefer it.

as for the sudden death i saw, a kirby timed out an ice climber player by platform camping on smashville. that being said, the kirby was grabbed and at 100% when the timer went off. in sudden death, kirby but the grab and used an uthrow, sending popo to his doom off the top. but not before nana killed kirby with an nair. lol ****.

and yeah, i came 4th in 'b' bracket. too many characters im not used to. after lots of friendlies, i can now take japan's 8th best player's mk about 50% of the time, and his diddy almost all the time. not used to other characters though, making japanese tournaments really difficult. i think in this sense, wifi is actually a good thing, cause you can get some matchup experience from all characters, instead of hoping that youve got 35 different friends who all have different mains and live within walking distance. poor australia lol.

there is a crew tournament i will be attending tomorrow. because i applied so late, i dont even know who im teaming with. so ill get trashed. hahaha.

i think thats about all. oh wait, i took some videos! these are from my camera, so excuse the quality. proper replays of ALL important matches were saved and ill pass the links on when theyre uploaded. ill be uploading the three vids i have tonight. japan uses a site similar to youtube called nikoniko, so apparently they have heaps of smash on there. ill get round to looking at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-lHW0gyVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgOtwCEIfbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPIqfbc_Twc

until next time!

official uploads: http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/16774001

UPDATE 28/12/09: Crews Tournament

part 2 of the tournament. this time we were in crews of 3. they have some funny rules here though...

- each match starts with 3 stock. they dont keep track of stock in crew battles like we do in the west. so it is very possible for one person to beat an entire team, despite losing multiple stocks to multiple players. silly rule.
- stage selection rules are the same as the bracket system from the day before. losing player's team then selects the port and stage (out of SV, BF and FD).
- only one of each character per team.
- 4 rounds of pools, then a top 16.
- single elimination bracket only.

in the end, it was all won by a **** ice climber player, kakera. have never seen anyone either play or chaingrab like him. watch the vids please. hes freakin amazing and won the grand finals all by himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT_gwiTms6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCsb78o6mHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETpefbuzrYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5b6W1cJhw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfhQa2Ie_0

didnt see any **** pits or anything today either. had a few friendlies with shuu... man he's awesome at the ditto. crazy good grenade work.

actually, talking to the japanese people about americans... they do think they play a lot slower, but a lot more cautiously. fewer mistakes mean less chance to punish. which i suppose works. apparently they think Souther plays like an american: aggressive and fast. and cheap. lol.

i probably have more to say, but im tired; its been a long two days.

UPDATE - 14/02/10: House meet.

It's been a while, but I did manage to play some more japanese smash. not much to say cause it was just a house meet, but it was lots of fun; and RAIN and BOMBSOLDIER were present. and yes, before anyone asks, BS still plays melee. just not as well as he used to (the scene is basically dead). and we wont be going to apex 2. just putting it out there.

BS does demonstrate (at least to me) why MK trashes snake. recovering is just too hard; his edgeguarding is the best ive seen. dunno what they hell he was doing on the ground though.

Oh, and Japan now loves Duelist Pro. ive created a monster. so much fun though.

I'll probably play next week and then I'm off home to Australia. Will be keeping in touch with most of the cooler smashers, though. and i should still be providing vids of Japanese Smash also. enjoy.

heaps of new vids on my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ssbbshmot

peace out.

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Hmm cool.
Did Yui play against Yone once?
Some Ness player called Kanamaru, Is he known in japan?)
When you hava your recording equipment please fight against Yone and that Ness player fro me =)

Nic64

Smash Lord
Ice climbers... When you're as perfect as they are, you don't get grabbed. Perfect spacing and auto-cancelling, and you can slowly chip Nana away until there is only Popo left. They don't rate Ics very highly because they don't really have any grab setups, so they can really only get a grab if the opponent makes a mistake.
This is a two sided coin, if your players are perfect you can perfect shield SDI and double team ridiculously, I think the IC's have a lot of unexplored potential and not just in Japan.

Play the game everyday all day and you wouldn't make mistakes either.
I play almost every day and make tons of mistakes, moar liek "be asian and you wouldn't make mistakes either" D:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
we use smashboards, we watch american videos, we send people to america to play americans. we're not as good as you guys, but use a hell of a lot of the same tactics and adopt your tierlists, mu lists, and opinions. we dont have the same skill as you guys, but at least know what it looks like and where it came from.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Based off your describing of IC's low placing, I think Sonic's is a given: if you don't make any mistakes, you also have perfect reflexes and Sonic's punishing, mindgame and surprise speed means nothing.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Based off your describing of IC's low placing, I think Sonic's is a given: if you don't make any mistakes, you also have perfect reflexes and Sonic's punishing, mindgame and surprise speed means nothing.
This

Sonic's greatest nemesis is your shield. As long as you bring spotdodge as a sidekick (for grabs NOT fsmash lol), he has no response.

But to stay on topic, holy wow Zelda/Shiek are up there. How do they generally handle those characters together in Japan?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
T.T I miss Japan. We were always technical beast lol, but asides from bragging. PLEASE put up vids of YUI if you ever can because we've recently had a discussion in the Fox boards and it seems even some of our own Foxes don't believe even compares to the U.S. Your vids would be a lot of help.
Public Message or PM me :)

Magik0722

Smash Champion
But it wasn't until I began playing some of the more high ranking players that I started realizing how underdeveloped the Western metagame really is.

When you're as perfect as they are
Weeaboo detected

Also i remember kel saying thins like CGs are banned so ICs are low

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Their Wario players are quite bad, at the very least. Can't say anything about their other characters b/c I don't understand them as well as I do Wario.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Fox is a solid character with a few really pathetically bad matchups (lol@Sheik). He's only low on the tier lists because no one plays him.

Perhaps they play more mechanically in Japan, but the high level Brawl metagame in America is highly dependent on prediction and mindgaming to get anything accomplished at all, since some characters have absolutely complete defensive options (i.e. Wario's airdodge, characters who can plank, desynched IC's Blizzard).

I can see Zelda/Sheik being that high if they never miss lightning kicks and Sheik's ridiculously hard Footstool/DACUS combos. Then again, if they do play perfectly, then you can punish almost anything in Brawl with a perfect shield then an OoS attack or grab.

IMO, their tierlists are so different just because people play different characters and the representation at tournaments is probably very different as a result.

EDIT: Why is Luigi so low...

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I like reading the tier lists from other countries and seeing how they have it. Opens your eyes to how different the smash world is and sometimes it makes you think "are we doing it wrong?" or something ^_^

OverLade

Smash Hero
Zelda/Sheik (mostly sheik) are way underrated. Same thing with Wolf. Looking forward to vids etc.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Well its not like pit and fox are bad. I think fox is really good just that hes underplayed. And pit after I saw a falco in japan play im not suprised why pit is so high.

Staco

Smash Champion
Can you pls tell me which are the best japanese players?
And who is best with which characters?

What about Kel? (I know that he allready played some japanese and american people, how did he do against the japanese?)

OverLade

Smash Hero
A few off the top of my head.

Akira - MK
9B - Dedede
Sova/Souther/9B - Snake
Masashi - Pit
Earth - Zelda/Sheik
Rain - Falco/MK
Bombsoldier - Falco/MK

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
What are their Match-up Threads like? Any unbelievable matchups?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Japan has been discussed before. They are alot more flashy. Fox can be a fun character to watch, but he has major flaws, like approaching. He can do some "combos" which makes him appealing and falsely percieved as a good character because of his killing potential.

I remember this one marth, forgot his name, from ....Brazil or something...that did all this flashy stuff with first hits of dancing blade. People thought he was new and innovative, but that was far from truth.

Don't know where im going with this.....hmmm....people are probably being fooled by flashy, pointless techniques or they are bad and think these guys are a lot better than they are. I am not saying no people in japan are good, but there is some positions on that tier list that are REALLY hard to beleive.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
America is so elitist. Just cause they play differently doesn't mean they are worse. They just...play differently.

And Japanese vids are far more intertaining. :p

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It looks like Japan is using the Killing potential into actual ability that's maybe a difference between us.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
America has much better Pits than [Masashi] imo.
You really can't compare our players to theirs. They play differently over there, just watch their playstyles and it's obvious. They're more focused on playing flashy and stuff, as opposed to how we play which is more focused on winning at all costs, planking, etc.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
... You just confused the hell out of me. What you just quoted was me saying that all I saw Masashi doing in every video I watched was plank plank plank.

Compare his playstyle to Sagemoon (American Pit), for instance, who uses circle arrows, wing refreshes, and wingdashing all over the place, i.e., flashy stuff.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
My post was referring to the end of yours.

You said America had better Pits, I said that they play so differently that it's difficult to accurately compare them.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Japan has been discussed before. They are alot more flashy. Fox can be a fun character to watch, but he has major flaws, like approaching. He can do some "combos" which makes him appealing and falsely percieved as a good character because of his killing potential.
I think what he's SUGGESTING is they have made legitimate enhancements in his metagame which makes him truly a better character.

That's something we cannot discount, since our communities are so disconnected, if they truly advanced his metagame, we should look into.

The ICs I find particularly that there's some real advancement that Americans can learn from. They win with more flashy offensive playstyles that are supposedly how japan rolls, but they seem to be losing.

That tells us that perhaps impeccable spacing DOES beat ICs and Japan has it in their metagame.'

I'm not saying that their metagame is better (their Warios are FAR less advanced then ours for example), but by combining what they know with what we know, we can get a better metagame as a whole.

I remember this one marth, forgot his name, from ....Brazil or something...that did all this flashy stuff with first hits of dancing blade. People thought he was new and innovative, but that was far from truth.
Mr. R, he's a marth boards regular now actually.

Don't know where im going with this.....hmmm....people are probably being fooled by flashy, pointless techniques or they are bad and think these guys are a lot better than they are. I am not saying no people in japan are good, but there is some positions on that tier list that are REALLY hard to beleive.
I agree, but rather then saying either of us is right immiediately, lets look into it, ok?

... You just confused the hell out of me. What you just quoted was me saying that all I saw Masashi doing in every video I watched was plank plank plank.

Compare his playstyle to Sagemoon (American Pit), for instance, who uses circle arrows, wing refreshes, and wingdashing all over the place, i.e., flashy stuff.
My understanding of his style is it's more effective but less flashy.

It actually directly counters the "all flash, no substance" accusation often applied to Japanese players.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
No we are actually getting somewhere.

@adumbrodues Maybe we should start testing that... from now on people should start spacing perfectly against ICs and that basic shuts down that MU.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ice climbers placing on japan tier list makes me lol bad. If you are not MK, you are bound to get grabbed at least once if not twice in a game.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
@adumbrodues Maybe we should start testing that... from now on people should start spacing perfectly against ICs and that basic shuts down that MU.
Harder then it seems unfortunately. I'm working on it with my marth, give it time though, when my spacing is better then Neo's it'll happen, no IC will EVER grab me.

I doubt it totally shuts them down, but I think that a number of their currently advantageous match-ups become disadvantageous with impeccable spacing, because I think that in our meta-game too many people make flat-out spacing mistakes and that skews the match-ups.

Ice climbers placing on japan tier list makes me lol bad. If you are not MK, you are bound to get grabbed at least once if not twice in a game.
Here's the thing, what if you don't. I've always said that their greatest power was the threat of the grab as opposed to actually being grabbed, it keeps people out of what would otherwise be their most vulnerable area and limits the options of opposing players substantially.

Top Bottom