• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking another look at the Brawl ruleset

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Aight yeah, I guess I should post this here instead of the Pound 4 Results thread. Or if I shouldn't post it here, someone tell me where to post it, I don't know anymore :urg:

stingers135 said:
i wish I was in the sbr so people would listen to me

Listen: The Brawl ruleset is just what the previous melee pros created at the time of the games release, and the changes to it have been absolutely minimal since then. People are to scared to deviate from the old, melee formula, because hey, it worked for SSBM so it should work for SSBB, right?

Obviously, it's not working out. We're trying to play Brawl like it's Melee, which is wrong. We need to re-analyze Brawl and form a ruleset for Brawl, not a re-hashed version of the Melee ruleset. I mean, look at the two side by side. What's different? 3 stocks instead of 4. Some game-specific glitch things. That's it.

The Melee ruleset worked for Melee because it's much, much harder to time someone out successfully in that game. Can it be done? Sure, look at that Pink Shinobi vs. RockCrock set on DK64. However, nobody really considers timing out a legit strategy in Melee, so nobody does it. How many times have you heard people complaining of time outs in Melee? Exactly...

So, for Brawl, the game we're trying to turn into Melee through forced rulesets when the Metagame is moving as far away from Melee as possible. We're going to have to change some things, and here are my suggestions:

- Change the timer from 8 minutes, to 10. This will make it less likely for accidental time outs to happen while still making it realistic for a tournament to finish on time if it happens to happen.
- In the event of a time-out, you play out the sudden death. The sudden death is the final ruling. Think about it, matches simply don't last 10 minutes unless you want them to last 10 minutes. Now, if you force a match to the timer, you have to play a virtual coin toss in order to decide who moves on. It's the risk you were willing to take when you grabbed the ledge for 4 minutes so you wouldn't get hit.
- Re-look your stance on items. I'm not sure whether or not they should be on personally, but the major problem with items in Melee (exploding capsules) can be turned off in Brawl. At the very least, it's worth a serious debate.

That's all I can think of at the moment. But honestly, I'd like for people to just give their honest opinions on what I have to say. I guess if everyone ignores it, we can have twice the time-outs at Apex and Brawl will die in a year or two because we're trying to turn it into something it's not.

Allied

Smash Master
stingers even though you post like a complete douchebag by what i've seen

You have my sword....

BSP

Smash Legend
I think it would be a good idea to try some of these changes. But I'm not sure about the sudden death since it forces the player who wanted to fight to flip a coin as well.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Sudden death being a coin toss is just a theory, it is also likely that planking/scrooging breaks it too.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
the thing is this... Sakurai is a ****ing genius. Brawl is an awesome game outside of competitive play, and the more I look at it, the more it really does seem like he put silly s**t into the game just to s**t on the competitive side (MetaKnight, Snake, MetaKnight, shields that work just find under the onslaught of items but not the underwhelming attack on non Lcancelling characters, tripping, MetaKnight, etc., MetaKnight).

So do the rules need mending? maybe... if Brawl players decided to actually really really play to win, and by that I mean picking MK, camping to death, using any and all advantages given to them... then maybe (because it's all theory I'm talking) we'd get to see how ****ed up brawl really is competitively.

Allied

Smash Master
the thing is this... Sakurai is a ****ing genius. Brawl is an awesome game outside of competitive play, and the more I look at it, the more it really does seem like he put silly s**t into the game just to s**t on the competitive side (MetaKnight, Snake, MetaKnight, shields that work just find under the onslaught of items but not the underwhelming attack on non Lcancelling characters, tripping, MetaKnight, etc., MetaKnight).
Sakurai had a flaw though wherever you have a game that has a clearcut Winner and Loser

It will always be competitive

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol really?
fans would just be banned then :laugh: i didn't know...:(
though I doubt the majority of the brawl community would ever accept items :O

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yea for competition they would be banned, I was just adding on to the great list of Sakurai's genius ideas =P

edit: Scrooging is repeatedly going under the level with the help of Smashville's platform, I'm almost completely sure that makes you invulnerable to the bombs.

Allied

Smash Master
lol really?
fans would just be banned then :laugh: i didn't know...:(
though I doubt the majority of the brawl community would ever accept items :O
Well they have tournament legit items but you can't use items theres pretty big reasons behind it too ex. random item spawns on the stage, random what items are spawning, which characters can reach the item etc etc

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I do agree that the Brawl community should actively look at Brawl and re-analyze the rule-set. To me, stingers makes sense. We are playing a game that is a stark contrast to melee, by melee rules. It just doesn't add up.

I wouldn't go so far as to say items (tho, tbh I don't know much about the Item Standard Play stuff that they developed awhile back so I won't say NO WAY to the idea). But definitely re-examine the stage list, the timer, the much-debated-MK-tactics, etc etc.

I don't know if the BBR is working on anything atm, but aside from tier list and periodic ruleset updates, I don't think there is much to do. Nothing wrong with exploring the options listed/addressed, not like they have anything better to do atm.

Rajam

Smash Champion
From what i saw at Pound in the livestream, time-outs happened due to planking and flying under the stage a lot of times. I propose this:

Anti-Plank: Put a rule about consecutive edge-grabs. Planking consist in grab the edge, release, fall a little and then raise for grabbing the edge again. There should be rules to stop this sequence. Like, for example, 4 or 5 consecutive grabs, and if you re-grab the edge a 5th or 6th time without having put your feet into the platform, you lose the match (or some kind of punishment)

Anti-Glide or cross under the stages from one edge to the other: Limit this action to like, 3 times in a match. If a player do it a 4th time, then apply some kind of infraction

stingers

Smash Obsessed
That doesn't stop air planking (like the dapuffster vs. plank match from ages ago, best-known example I can think of) or platform camping (I saw a Pit vs. IC match this weekend where the Pit just stood on the SV platform the whole time, and couldn't really approach or anything, and the Pit won by timeout. Which, according to the ruleset we have now, is perfectly fine.)

Flayl

Smash Hero
Rajam, those kind of restrictions don't work. Suggestions like those have been posted since early 2009.

The 2 most important reasons why they don't work:

1) It's not logistically possible to monitor all matches

2) Assuming planking/scrooging is the best possible strategy, with those rules in effect you just do it n times, do a little dance, and then do it n times again.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
stingers even though you post like a complete douchebag by what i've seen

You have my sword....
And my axe!

I think all of this should be looked at, even items. Something simple as food is worth a serious discussion; it adds more depth to stages such as YI and SV, while removing the effectiveness of planking.

Furthermore, I hope our stagelist doesn't end up like the melee one. It's already looking like we're heading down that path.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ban Smashville.

No, just kidding. Is food on low a possibility? If you are running away, you allow your opponent to steadily heal percent, making you lose unless you have a whole stock lead (would work well with the increased timer, since the person losing would have more time to come back).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
hmm i am for looking at the rules set since u r right using the melee rules does not make much sense but i am not for items (maybe food is ok) since it adds randomness (something this game does not need more of) and some characters have advantages just for items being there. Also for time outs it seems unfair that it goes to sudden death b/c this would mean that someone who is losing can time out just to even things up again. I do think a 10min timer makes sense through.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
thing is...

this discussion can be had... but it won't mean nothing until some big names start to look at it and take it seriously.

not that I don't respect everyone's opinion here, but... yeah, you get the idea, you've lived long enough.

BSP

Smash Legend
Is hacking for infinite replay an option? If we kept the ledge grab rule, low food, and had infinite replays, it'd be easy to see if someone went over the limit if the match went to the timer. This method does slightly lose to scrooging and air camping though.

Allied

Smash Master
Is hacking for infinite replay an option? If we kept the ledge grab rule, low food, and had infinite replays, it'd be easy to see if someone went over the limit if the match went to the timer. This method does slightly lose to scrooging and air camping though.
Sadly none of these idea are plausible (idk if thats a word trying to sound smart)

First of all let me go through points why this quote will not work

1. Not everyone wants thier wii hacked (ex. they play other wii games and if you didnt know nintendo wii makes it so you HAVE to update your wii to play other wii games making hacks dead, its a family wii i mean come on its a family system etc etc ETC :D)

2. Whos going to monitor all this, it sure as hell will not be me LOL XD :3

3. Even if all this went into effect scrooging and camping will still happen even slightly hell thats the only way i win matches in my region Voted Campest Kirby in Ny/Nj

Also why food or items will not be tolerated by competitve standards is because well lets think about it

Snake ___________________________ Kirby

pretend thats Final D

Now lets pretend food is on Low

Snake _____food__________________ Kirby

ok it lands there whos going to get it.... Snake
Thats just 1 of the MANY major issues with items which is the example above

It spawns randomly giving random players advantages WHICH COULD MAKE OR BREAK MATCHES

Inb4 Allied Its just food its only 2-3%

No Why allow something as minor as even that then you call have all the wifi kids well then bal bla bla why dont we have Party balls and its just too messy people

However i really really like stingers idea tho

Jupz

Smash Master
Playing out sudden death is dumb IMO. It rewards the loser instead of the winner. All that will happen is that if one person is on 0% 3rd stock and one is on 120% third stock then the person on 120% can start planking and force the person who is winning to approach. He can time out the match causing it to go back to a neutral situation. The game will still be just as gay, except worse because it rewards the loser not the winner.

Matt07

Smash Master
@Allied

I think Jack Keiser, has found a way to spawn items in certain locations, if I remember a while ago skimming through the competitive ISP thread. Yea I know it only 'counters(?)' your one point, but...

Note however that is was only for the stage Final Destination, they may have found way's to replicate it on other stages, I dunno however.

Allied

Smash Master
Playing out sudden death is dumb IMO. It rewards the loser instead of the winner. All that will happen is that if one person is on 0% 3rd stock and one is on 120% third stock then the person on 120% can start planking and force the person who is winning to approach. He can time out the match causing it to go back to a neutral situation. The game will still be just as gay, except worse because it rewards the loser not the winner.
You have a great point, but playing out sudden death i dont think would work anyway

but i think a splendid idea would be if it did happen replay the match 1 stock like 2 minutes

and lets say it happened again have a reasonable action if it happened again

Edit- only possible problem would definitally be Unreasonable tournament time to play 1 match

ex. Best 3 out of 5 winners finals match could potentially take an hour just to finish which isn't cool

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Items are the only viable anti-planking strategy for many characters.

In tandem, things work out @.@

Allied

Smash Master
@Allied

I think Jack Keiser, has found a way to spawn items in certain locations, if I remember a while ago skimming through the competitive ISP thread. Yea I know it only 'counters(?)' your one point, but...

Note however that is was only for the stage Final Destination, they may have found way's to replicate it on other stages, I dunno however.
Would it involve hacking because i think we definitally stated hacking is out of the question

but if its completely easy to manage and easy for most brawl players i would definitally like to know but i can only imagine how messy having items could potentially get

Just think about the endless biased discussions for each item and its vitality and legallity (is that a word @!@!ED?!?!)

haha XD

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I like the idea of food on low. It could lessen planking because the whole reason planking works is because the person doing it has a percentage lead. Once you lose that percentage lead, planking is disadvantageous. So, while the planker is busy doing his business, the opponent just waits for food to spawn and bring his percentage lower than the planker. Pretty simple view, Im sure the edges of a stage arent "popular" spawn points either.

@Allied: 2-3% usually isnt a make or break thing. In most cases. Had to say it u.u

Thats my take on it at least.

BSP

Smash Legend
But Allied is right in a sense. 3 seconds left, both at 150%, and a pizza appears in front of x character...

About hacking. Can't it be done with an SD card?

Allied

Smash Master
I like the idea of food on low. It could lessen planking because the whole reason planking works is because the person doing it has a percentage lead. Once you lose that percentage lead, planking is disadvantageous. So, while the planker is busy doing his business, the opponent just waits for food to spawn and bring his percentage lower than the planker. Pretty simple view, Im sure the edges of a stage arent "popular" spawn points either.

@Allied: 2-3% usually isnt a make or break thing. In most cases. Had to say it u.u

Thats my take on it at least.
You also must realize that with items on it actually effects characters too why do you think the brawl ruleset has the items set to i think off and none because

if i'm correct

D3 and Peach can still pull items out of their butt
and i completely agree but what happens for the matches where theres no planking now your adding another objective to an already messy fighting game

and think about of many players would be against this because once again if you have food on theres going to be all the wifi pros who think Ike is viable in tournament (inb4 angry ike mains) who think other stuff will be legal too

Especially in top notch tournament 2-3% definitally could mean hey maybe i can DI this and survive or Well i'm dead

I mean look at the extremes people are going through just to win now in brawl for me and every other top player in nj/ny Every percent of damage we take is crucial , and i definitally take the match seriously when money is on the line

So you tell me wouldn't you be f*cking furious if god **** steak and pizza spawned near your opnenents spacing area 5 TIMES in a minute!?!@?#!@?#?!?!@#

You understand what i'm saying brah :33

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
That doesn't stop air planking (like the dapuffster vs. plank match from ages ago, best-known example I can think of) or platform camping (I saw a Pit vs. IC match this weekend where the Pit just stood on the SV platform the whole time, and couldn't really approach or anything, and the Pit won by timeout. Which, according to the ruleset we have now, is perfectly fine.)
So what you're saying is that he should have jumped down and gotten 0-deathed?

Allied

Smash Master
stingers... you call RockCrock "some ganondorf" and expect to get away with it? i'm angry as hell right now. you better HOPE he doesn't see this

also items? lol
Woah this calls for a You mad Bro?

regardless that stingers posts are stupid most of the time in the drama he creates i dont think he deserves hateful thinking or slightest thoughts of threats?

Top Bottom