• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Smash Bros with a n00b

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
I'm good at Brawl (Not the best), but I have to play with good people.
Playing with n00bs just isn't fun. It sucks a lot of :item9:

Yeah, it sucks Pokeballs because the stage is covered with them.

This n00b I fought played with all items, used Meta Knight (He only used his standard special and up taunt), and went to a custom stage he made where you could easily hide from Fox, Falco, or Wolf's Final Smash.

So tell me, how is it for you to play a n00b? Share stories.
Are all n00bs the same?

Lucario1337

Smash Journeyman
Well my friend is a complete failure at brawl even tho we played melle a lot he just never got good. I have to go in my trap stage where its all boxed in and you cant die or he will die asap...

Oh he allso blows himself up a lot with snake

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Well my friend is a complete failure at brawl even tho we played melle a lot he just never got good. I have to go in my trap stage where its all boxed in and you cant die or he will die asap...

Oh he allso blows himself up a lot with snake
lol. That's what all Snake n00bs do, I think.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
They Smash... I dogde.. I punish..
That for like, a really long time. Items are mostly not one, but if they really want it, I pick some and set it on low. Sometimes medium.

I have the neutral stages selected as the random stages, so if they click random I won't go on some annoying stage. I alway's go to FD or BF as fast as possible, so they can't choose another.

That's how I got my friend better. I then learned him how to Spike with his TL, how to edghog, how to edgegaurd, and how to shieldgrab. He's now pretty good. =) And he doesn't wanna play with items anymore.

Stray_

Smash Apprentice
i really enjoy 'just for fun' matches on ridiculous stages. It makes for a nice change from proper matches. Also picking random as your character is awesome fun

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I do play on random with friends alot, but then only on Neutral and Counterpick stages.
I geuss i'm just too used to them.

But they play on weird stages with each other, so it doesn't really matter for them.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Impressing noobs is alway's fun.
Its so easy to use a Downsmash on the stage while therye recovering with ZSS and then back Air. Or doing a forwaird throw with ROB and spiking them immediatly after that. (That shouldn't be possible, but they just don't DI right sometimes..). Or with Pikachu, Dwon Throw, up Tilt, Up/Neutral Air, then Thunder forr kill, maybe some more juggling.

Those thing impress them, and it has set my friend to continiung in brawl to also do this cool things.
I am also still amazete'd about what some players get off..

Arikags

Smash Cadet
Noobs are boring to fight, I wipe the floor with them. Also, items aren't that bad, except for the cheap ones like the hammer… Also I keep it on "low"

BurnBurn

Smash Apprentice
I know.. I dont even use my main character for noob fights

I go diddy and pressure them.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Just ask yourself, would it be n00b if Tekken had items?
I don't think Jin Kazama would use a Baseba-OMGWTF nevermind lol

Meccs

@Meccs_
Pretty much the only people I play irl are n00bs...
I babysit for my neighbors and bring the Wii over w/SSB and, well, the youngest kid (like 6 or 7?) just picks yoshi and proceeds to roll himself off the edge with side special... I tried to tell him how to play, but it just must not have stuck in his head. though he wanted to play one player and he managed to beat classic by just using usmash via the c-stick...
and the older kid (10) kinda knows the basics...

I brought the Wii to school a lot and a bunch of people played. once again, lots of people know the basics, but not much more. I'd take em on 1v3 and win... They'd always complain that I was too good and to stop playing so other people can win :p

And then most of the time irl I play with my sister and her friend. I got him to main Lucas, and my sister (who, go figure, used to play Kirby) mains Ness. My sister is pretty good (especially for being a 10 yo girl), and could probably beat most of the people at my highschool... Melee was the first game she played, I started her to Smash at an early age (4 i think):p

There's pretty much only one person I've played in my town that could beat me, and we don't play that much. CT needs more tourneys cause that's where I play the people that kick my ***. and that's infintely more helpful than beating the crap outta people who have no idea what they're doing...

sorry for tl;dr

Arglist

Smash Rookie
I really do hate when people complain about items. I perfectly understand they are unreasonable for competetive play, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun once in a while with silly rediculous matches. Often these days people forget that the point of video games as a whole is to have fun while doing so, and maybe if a man's cup of tea is items on then let him be that way. Not EVERY match in SSBB should be a serious, hardcore no bullsh*t match.

On the subject, yes I do certainly play with noobs quite often. If im looking to play with people at my skill level I generally go online, because my local community isn't as good as I. It doesn't mean I can't have fun with it though. Just because you are playing with a person of lower skill than you doesn't mean you have to be a douchebag and go all out.

UltraPuff

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes play with my brother, an he is pretty bad. Uses Snake and simply spams grenades / missles. :p

He did perform a DACUS on accident one time, though. :laugh:

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I can only play with my brother when he is home form college. My friends won't play with me anymore becuase I always win.

TL?

Smash Ace
I have 1 or 2 friends who know how to play. The rest have some idea but do stupid things like: never grabbing, rolling in, and approaching with laggy moves like eruption. They're ussually fine with no items but we turn em on sometimes for 3-4 player free for all.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Dang, i hate playin with n00bs, it makes me feel lame xD
Especially when they arent new to smash, they are new to a Character xD

some-guy

Smash Apprentice
Gawd, sometimes it's ok, but there are alot here and it just gets... kinda annoying. >.<

For example, I told this friend of mine (he's a big n00b) that I wanted to practice for this tourney Im gonna host, and help him get better, so we go on wi-fi and have a few matches. (i had noone else to brawl at the time and needed to work on reading people more anyways) i won every time and he got butthurt and the next match he set the damage ratio way high, then I beat him again anyways several times in a row. i asked him why he did that and he didn't say anything. the next match he had the ratio waaaaaay low. that was just ******* annoying >_______> i still won but holy jebus it was boring. o.o

the next day he brawled me again (with the same goal as the day before), i won everytime AGAIN and (as per usual) he got butthurt, said it sucks, and set it to 1 stock, smash balls on high, and the like. I won again. he got madder and picked really really ghey banned stages (think warioware, new pork city, and hyrule temple), so i just jumped off the stage each time.

also, he calls anything that kills him cheap (edgeguarding, not letting him recover, mindgames, etc.) and thought that jigglypuff, zelda/sheik, and samus are some of the best characters in the game (he thought they were higher on the tier list kinda thing) until i explained to him otherwise (this wasn't easy at all). he wants to get better but every time i want to help he gets mad and goes off track, much like my little brother, but he isn't a n00b and his luigi and olimar are pretty raep (he gets mad when i try to help too)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Noobs?

Well the only time I consider playing n00bs is when I need a good laugh.

But seriously, it a headache to teach someone who has never played smash and constantly ask "how do u do this?, that?"

Zodiac

Smash Master
Usually when I play a noob they use some absurb amount of stock like 5 or 6 and then after I **** them for one stock they run away and just sit there and wait for me to approach, thats the typical noob experience for me.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Meh. I'm not very good at this game. I just happen to be better than the people I play. And its fun playing with them. I also find it fun to play against better people as the matches are a lot more intense, but item matches don't really bother me much.

t3akup

Smash Apprentice
A. yes, all noobs are the same.
B. It's a noob, just **** the shizz out of him/her. shouldn't be too hard
if you're at ALL experienced.
C. Considering the fact that noobs love to spam and jump around alot, you
may actually find yourself trying a bit harder to crush them. use whatever
strategy you know and then consider option B.
D. pikachu comes in handy when dealing with spammy MK's. (or kirby if you
really KNOW what the hell you're doing)
E. Although you may think it's below you, USE the items more than him/her
so they'll understand how annoying they can sometimes be.
F. If all else fails, punch him/her in the face XD just kidding.

~cheers

NNID
Budget_Player
A. yes, all noobs are the same.
B. It's a noob, just **** the shizz out of him/her. shouldn't be too hard
if you're at ALL experienced.
C. Considering the fact that noobs love to spam and jump around alot, you
may actually find yourself trying a bit harder to crush them. use whatever
strategy you know and then consider option B.
D. pikachu comes in handy when dealing with spammy MK's. (or kirby if you
really KNOW what the hell you're doing)
E. Although you may think it's below you, USE the items more than him/her
so they'll understand how annoying they can sometimes be.
F. If all else fails, punch him/her in the face

~cheers
Fixed.

Anyways, I have the luck to play almost exclusively with people who are terrible, but not noobs. They're willing to learn, play with SBR rules, etc. One of them is almost to my level. There's only one real noob I play against regularly. I tried to teach him, but he seems to find annoying me by continuing to play poorly to be a more viable strategy (sadly, it took me a while to figure out how to punish his rolling as lucario ;_;). At least he doesn't complain a lot when I 4-stock him (Brawl+). The rest of my friends I play against are either mediocre or almost on my level, which is cool. Nobody really challenges me though, which is a shame. I can beat most of my friends without thinking too hard about it.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
What I find ironic is all the people in this thread who play inviable characters that I would probably three stock effortlessly. Are you really in a position to look down on others? Being unskilled is relative. You're also a noob if you're not playing one of the top 10 characters in the game (those who place well without these characters are obviously exceptions). I bet that if I were to sit down with 80% of you, I'd be able to just roll through your stocks with my Marth/MK/Snake/Falco, and you'd never win. Then I'd think to myself, "Why am I wasting my time playing with these noobs?"

That being said, I greatly enjoy playing with noobs. I love to play, and I love to teach. When my opponent isn't interested in learning the competative rulesets and ways to play, it's okay. To me, that makes perfect sense. Why would a player who has no intention of ever competing in this game play by the competative ruleset. Items can be pretty fun. And while items do sometimes provide random advantages, it doesn't really imbalance matches frequently. Just don't cry if you lose one match because something stupid happens, and be secure in your skill. I smile when someone blatently worse than me gets happy because they get a kill off something stupid. To me, it's a sign of respect that they're so happy to be able to take one kill or game off me. I still don't beat M2k very often when items are turned on, and though I haven't played ADHD very often with items turned on, I'm willing to bet that his win percentage would increase. I think items are likely to increase the gap between players, as opposed to balancing out the game. I once K.O.ed a noob three times in under a minute using no gimps, with no items on.

Often, when playing people much below my skill level, it gives me a chance to train up other characters. I learned how to play Zelda, Snake, Kirby, Shiek, and improved my Marth, MK, Falco, Ike, Mario, Link, and other random characters. Now, I'm working on my Diddy Kong, and Captain Falcon. None of you can deny that winning is an encouraging event, so training up new characters and still winning is very effective.

Also, if I'm playing multiple noobs at once, I teach them how to play competative doubles, to teach them discipline and teamwork. These skills put them in the mindset to be ready to learn in singles. I rotate the teams, playing with each player, so everyone gets a chance at winning (when they team with me). Sometimes, for the lulz, I set it to three against one, for a slight challenge.

Don't limit yourself. You shouldn't really be having difficulty dealing with noob tactics if you aren't a noob yourself. I'll be ****ed if a rolling Lucario frustrates me. Since noobs are so . . . noobish, you should be able to generate massive damage off good attack strings, and it gives you a good chance to develop your offense.

tl;dr
Don't knock noobs.

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
You make it sound like the Sandbag is a noob. :) Generate good attack strings, develop offense lol.

Just a terrible joke.

I know I'm a noob because I spam and run with Snake's special moves and down-smash mine. When I play free-for-alls with three other friends, I try convince the least-skilled friend to come over to me.

Then I stick C4 on him and make him a suicide bomber. Being a suicide bomber is always voluntary for him. It annoys the heck out of the other two players and they inevitably try to kill me.

It's also fun watching them say "wtf?" when they roll into a mine. Makes them want to kill me even more.

Top Bottom