• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up Export #14: Donkey Kong |Complete!!!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wait I might have to AIM him.

THANK YOU FAE.

EDIT: Yeah he said even.

I'd beg to differ but his DK experience>mine, I'm pretty sure.

I'll change it, but I'd like a bigger number of people to say their opinion before I do.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I'd have to put it at even, or just a hair in Fox's favor.

There aren't a whole lot of gimmicky things in this matchup in either direction; just DK doing his DK thing and Fox doing his Fox thing. Either character can be an absolute monster in the right hands. The main thing that could nudge it slightly in Fox's favor is the fact that a well-preserved Usmash from Fox can drastically cut down the usual kill% vs DK. thrillagorilla, the Diddy/DK player I regularly practice against, tells me himself that Fox's Usmash is the only kill move in the game that makes his DK nervous, since it kills low and can come out of seemingly nowhere.

That's my two cents on this.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
It doesn't kill as early on DK than on other characters. I think fresh with the best DI it kills at around 130% maybe? That's pretty high considering how strong U-smash is. DK's are lucky it doesnt kill earlier on them lol.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
It doesn't kill as early on DK than on other characters. I think fresh with the best DI it kills at around 130% maybe? That's pretty high considering how strong U-smash is. DK's are lucky it doesnt kill earlier on them lol.
Very true. However, compared to most other non-gimp kill options for other characters vs. DK, 130% is actually really low. One of DK's biggest strengths is how much damage he can soak up before he gets knocked out. I've seen firsthand Marth vs. DK go well over 200% before DK gets killed. Fox's Usmash, combined with an excellent ability to rack-up damage, essentially blunts this advantage.

Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward matchup really.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Agreed. Also I didn't even know that DK could chaingrab us about 3 times into D-tilt and then Ground Pound. It worked against me with MAR1 but idk if it's legit.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Agreed. Also I didn't even know that DK could chaingrab us about 3 times into D-tilt and then Ground Pound. It worked against me with MAR1 but idk if it's legit.
That sounds dubious. thrillagorilla knows DK at least as well as I know Fox, and he hasn't once done anything like that to me. It's probably a situation like Lucario's U-throw pseudo-chaingrab on Fox, where it looks like a chaingrab, but can be avoided fairly easily.

crifer

Smash Lord
that's falco. not fox

this match up is 55-45 fox. I've played zeton a bunch
This was a recent post of mine in the metagame thread. It should be dash grab =)

"Something I also wanted to mention that I recently started doing as a sort of mix up that has a very high percentage of success vs Fox and Falco. Given you have the space, down throw x3 (the second two being timed dash grabs), combos into either f-tilt or you take a step and d-tilt. In the latter case, you can read the roll and walk/running down b as a punish since he'll be fairly far away at this point. 0-42% combo! Very very useful imo xD

In a friendly with Inui's fox the other day on Final Destination, I did down throw cg x3 into down angled f-tilt which sent him down and out, then read his jump and d-aired; 0-death. Try it out =) Not a true combo by any means, but hey, the way I play is that if it works, it works."
As I mentioned I´m not sure if this cg is legit.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I just tested the DK cg vs Fox yesterday w/ trillagrilla, and have reached definite conclusion.

It only sort-of works. First off, it only works when Fox is at 0%. Second off, DK has to buffer the grab. Third off, DK is only going to get one more grab in after the first toss, but can follow-up with a D-tilt. It's a free 24% if Dk can get it, but it's hardly game-changing stuff.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
How do I deal with DK's annoying a*s RAR's? Those B-airs are so annoying and interupt my camping all the time. I can hardly camp in this MU I don't know why. Maybe because MAR1 is super aggresive?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Interrupt it. Dash Usmash, walk out of range for a quick whiff and punish, I think you can even crouch and punish, Full jump Dair, SH Nair (for interrupting), etc. you have plenty of things to handle it now that I think of it. Not that's it's useless but it shouldn't be walling you.

Top Bottom