• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export: ICs

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Overview: One on one!...wait...two?!? That's right!! Ice Climbers have entered the fray together to take on the Smash cast. With grab setups to grab infinites ICs are a force to be reckoned with. Enter the world of perfect zoning and separation to compete on level ground with these ICs.

Kirby’s Pros and Cons:

+ 5 jumps help to avoid ICs and aircamp.
+ Strong kill move

- Light; short chaingrabs(CGs) will kill.
- Predictable jump pattern
- No Approach option

Ice Climber's Pros and Cons:

+ Chaingrabs.
+ DeSync
+ Strong smashes
+ Good aerial game

- Separation weakens ICs
- Gimpable recovery

Watch out for:
Grab setups – A single ice block followed by an IC? Don't shield, just run! A Blizzard wall? Don't attack it, just go over it. Learn the various setups your opponent is using and avoid getting grabbed.

CGs and infinites – If you get grabbed you're suppose to lose the stock is what's been said. Mash those buttons! Jerk the ctrl stick in every direction! Smash your C-Stick! Do whatever you can to get them to drop the grab so you can have another chance @ that stock.

UAir – The Uair beats everything! EVERYTHING!(....ok fine, you can rock it but there's a bit of reading involved.)

DeSync'd anything – DeSync'd blizzard, ice block, Fsmashes, etc. It's best to maneuver around it if you can.

How to win:
Aircamp – Wait for a mistake by aircamping and punish accordingly. It's all about avoiding the grab and landing what damage you can.

Bait and Punish– Bait the ICs and Bair them when they approach or stutterstep a Fsmash to separate. Mindgames and bait to rack damage.

Plank – Another way to avoid getting grabbed is to properly space while planking.

Kill Nana – If you can get the ICs separated Kill Nana; She's dumb and she'll walk into any charged smash. If you can kill nana you tear apart the ICs strategy thus evening up the matchup

Spit out or Swallow?
Spit; you can maybe get a gimp if the AI is low enough. OR if you get lucky and nab the primary IC you can get a stock lead maybe.

What NOT to do:
Rush in! – If you rush in, you are going to get grabbed. Simple as that and we know what happens when you get grabbed.

Shield predictably – If you shield an ice block, you may get grabbed if the IC follows it. Same with blizzards and such.

Try to attack while descending on an IC – IC Uair beats everything. You'll just get juggled in vain attempts to get back down.

Get grabbed – AVOID GETTING GRABBED AT ALL COST.

Approach – Yup. I said don't approach. You'll be shieldgrabbed out of everything. Bait and punish! Aircamp and punish! Plank! Just use your resources.

Stages (in order of priority):
PS1 – Terrain changes, platforms and lips on the edge. YAY!!
RC – Good Kirby stage. Just use the moving stage to stop the Cgs.
Norfair – Lava should disrupt the Cgs and the platforms help to aircamp. It might be the best bet for Cping.

FD – **** FD. Avoid places with no platforms and nothing to interfere with the Cgs.
Smashville – It's almost as bad as FD

Neutrals: Ranked and Explained

Key:
Good, Bad.

PS1 – Terrain change and platfroms with a gimping lip on the edge.
Delfino – MLG- The terrain change helps a lot and so do the platforms.

FD –Flat, open and stupid.
Smashville –Same as FD

Synopsis:
Avoid getting grabbed is a central part of this matchup...but so is spacing, zoning, small risk damage racking and gimping. ICs are hard to beat but they're not impossible. Kirby has to bait, punish and aircamp to rack damage and avoid the grab. Bair approaches and avoid fast falling them so you can escape if you miss. It's hard enough avoiding a grab without rushing in and giving it to IC so make them work for the kill. Kirby CAN WIN.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Omg, so quick.

Basically discussing general match-up info:
What to do, what not to do, what to watch out for, stage picks (both CP and neutrals).

Just make sure to hit on the major strategy points of this MU.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Omg, so quick.

Basically discussing general match-up info:
What to do, what not to do, what to watch out for, stage picks (both CP and neutrals).

Just make sure to hit on the major strategy points of this MU.
I'm sorry, but I don't see this thread lasting too long. Not very much info given; it seems more like an Ice Climbers Chain Grab Complaint Thread to be honest... :/

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Am I getting trolled? By a Yoshi main? Weak. I feel like I deserve a better caliber of troll.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Am I getting trolled? By a Yoshi main? Weak. I feel like I deserve a better caliber of troll.
Yes. I'm a Yoshi main, but that's no reason to judge me, I've played Brawl for a while, I know my stuff, and I'm not trolling. I'm only stating that if you're going to start a topic, you may want to back up your reasoning and opinion of discussion.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
You fool. This is a Match Up Export thread, one of several (I think about 7 now). All the Kirby mains know what these are and we message the mains of the players we are discussing to come leave input. Apparently while you've played Brawl long enough you don't know what MU Export threads are otherwise you'd keep your stupidity inside your head rather than vocalize it (read 'type it'). While I don't necessarily respond to stupid post you're clogging up my first page with absolutely nothing of help. If you main ICs or Kirby feel free to leave your thoughts on this matchUp or read the intelligent post left by others; if not? Kindly get the **** out off here.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
You fool. This is a Match Up Export thread, one of several (I think about 7 now). All the Kirby mains know what these are and we message the mains of the players we are discussing to come leave input. Apparently while you've played Brawl long enough you don't know what MU Export threads are otherwise you'd keep your stupidity inside your head rather than vocalize it (read 'type it'). While I don't necessarily respond to stupid post you're clogging up my first page with absolutely nothing of help. If you main ICs or Kirby feel free to leave your thoughts on this matchUp or read the intelligent post left by others; if not? Kindly get the **** out off here.
Don't harass me when you're the one without any statistics or explanation to back up a matchup discussion thread. I've been around Smashboards for years, and I know what matchup discussion is. I'm not as stupid and noobish as you tend to think I am.

You want a reliable discussion? Post up techniques, frame data, and other information. Pros and cons. Something other than just "Chaingrab chaingrab chaingrab KO IT'S SO ANNOYING" because that's just AS annoying.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Don't harass me when you're the one without any statistics or explanation to back up a matchup discussion thread. I've been around Smashboards for years, and I know what matchup discussion is. I'm not as stupid and noobish as you tend to think I am.

You want a reliable discussion? Post up techniques, frame data, and other information. Pros and cons. Something other than just "Chaingrab chaingrab chaingrab KO IT'S SO ANNOYING" because that's just AS annoying.
Nah, Jowii's right. We don't need a great *** OP for an export thread, if things go in depth, they will when the discussion starts up and questions are asked. Lame *** Super special awesome puns at the beginning of the thread work just as well really.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Nah, Jowii's right. We don't need a great *** OP for an export thread, if things go in depth, they will when the discussion starts up and questions are asked. Lame *** Super special awesome puns at the beginning of the thread work just as well really.
For an export thread? Don't recall ever seeing those, though. I've been parts of discussion threads, but never any export threads. What's the difference?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Tiersie, dear god I feel like rage-quitting the level of ignorance in this thread is so high, just shoot me.

Alright.
/calm.
Mr.Miaminoob, the OP will be update with a MU summary, as per usual, once an intelligent discussion of this matchup has taken place. IF you want an example of the nature order of things, please direct yourself to the Marth export thread and look @ THAT OP and see what followed. THEN look @ the Diddy export thread's OP and see the end result. Then, if you're satisfied Mr.Non-Kirby OR ICs main that this MU will be thouroughly discussed, please by all means contract cancer. I hope this insight into the MatchUp Export thread nature order has been extremely helpful.

SO! I'll see if I can wrangle Hylian in here through namesearch, OR I'll PM him later.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Tiersie, dear god I feel like rage-quitting the level of ignorance in this thread is so high, just shoot me.

Alright.
/calm.
Mr.Miaminoob, the OP will be update with a MU summary, as per usual, once an intelligent discussion of this matchup has taken place. IF you want an example of the nature order of things, please direct yourself to the Marth export thread and look @ THAT OP and see what followed. THEN look @ the Diddy export thread's OP and see the end result. Then, if you're satisfied Mr.Non-Kirby OR ICs main that this MU will be thouroughly discussed, please by all means contract cancer. I hope this insight into the MatchUp Export thread nature order has been extremely helpful.

SO! I'll see if I can wrangle Hylian in here through namesearch, OR I'll PM him later.
Yet, you continue to try pissing me off. What's up with that? As I've said before, I've been around for a while. I do know my stuff as far as the game goes.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
So I hear Uthrow is the best throw to use. T/F?
Also, more constructive discussion, less *****ing about the actual topic needed.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Kirby's entire moveset can be easily shield grabbed. Not even d-tilt or u-tilt is safe from this rule. We have no safe approaches either. Misspace anything and you're ****ed.

70:30/80:20

edit: And please stop arguing. This is the Kirby, not Jigglypuff boards. :ohwell:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
No more discussions! I know who's at fault here, but 'm gonna reserve my thoughts... Try not to keep up this off-topic discussion, I don't wanna hand out my first infraction as a mod yet. :O

And yeah, uthrow is THE best choice. Sure Nana can interrupt us, but it's the perfect desynching throw with least punishment since we end up in the air AND we have Super Armor while we go up... If anything, we could surprise them with bthrow since it's the fastest throw we have and if we buffer a jump, we never touch the ground and avoid getting grabbed afterwards.

80:20 is too extreme... I played some ICs while I was at Pound4, and I seriously didn't see the 70:30 either, but I know that at the top level it's gonna be really bad... STILL! If horrible MUs like Pikachu vs Foxu, DDD vs DK, and Sheik vs Wolf aren't 80:20, I fail to see how ICs vs Kirby can be worse than those (which are REALLY bad!). We'll get with the ratio later on while the discussion develops a bit more, remember that what we want to do is clarify it a lot so that even newcomers can read and understand immediately.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
No more discussions! I know who's at fault here, but 'm gonna reserve my thoughts... Try not to keep up this off-topic discussion, I don't wanna hand out my first infraction as a mod yet. :O

And yeah, uthrow is THE best choice. Sure Nana can interrupt us, but it's the perfect desynching throw with least punishment since we end up in the air AND we have Super Armor while we go up... If anything, we could surprise them with bthrow since it's the fastest throw we have and if we buffer a jump, we never touch the ground and avoid getting grabbed afterwards.

80:20 is too extreme... I played some ICs while I was at Pound4, and I seriously didn't see the 70:30 either, but I know that at the top level it's gonna be really bad... STILL! If horrible MUs like Pikachu vs Foxu, DDD vs DK, and Sheik vs Wolf aren't 80:20, I fail to see how ICs vs Kirby can be worse than those (which are REALLY bad!). We'll get with the ratio later on while the discussion develops a bit more, remember that what we want to do is clarify it a lot so that even newcomers can read and understand immediately.
Super Armor is really useful, too. Obviously. But as a Yoshi main, with the right timing, it's a HUGE benefit. I personally have to say Ice Climbers have the edge over Kirby by a lot.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
ICs make me sadface.

This is the one character I will not play against in tournament matches of my own volition.

Everything gets shieldgrabbed, blizzard outranges everything except final cutter (?) which is super laggy. Uthrow is good, but they can still interrupt it as you come back down, either with a smash or uair or whatever.

If you manage to kill one or separate them, you can go to town comboing and pressuring them, but as long as they are both there, good luck.

65:35 at least

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I'm predicting more of a 70:30 matchup, at best for Kirby honestly. Yoshi has the same matchup (in my mind) if not worse. I'm saying 80:20 in favor of Ice Climbers vs Kirby.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I'm neither a main of either one, but I play Smash Bros. daily competitive and fun. So I make my way around from character to character. I'm rating this as Ice Climbers over Kirby though by a long shot, the way I see it. I'm a Yoshi main. But I play as everyone for fun.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I want in on discussion, though. Just to voice my opinion and views on some parts here and there. Nothing huge.

Anyway, I feel that the reason Kirby has such a low ratio to Ice Climbers is because... Unless you can get seperation, without being threatened or overwhelmed by both, you won't be able to really combo or pull off large deals or damage, as well as anything special in general against the Ice Climbers.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I want in on discussion, though. Just to voice my opinion and views on some parts here and there. Nothing huge.

Anyway, I feel that the reason Kirby has such a low ratio to Ice Climbers is because... Unless you can get seperation, without being threatened or overwhelmed by both, you won't be able to really combo or pull off large deals or damage, as well as anything special in general against the Ice Climbers.
Yep, pretty much. And the fact that our attacks aren't super disjointed like Snake's, Marth's, MK's (amd others), we're at risk of getting grabbed whenever we attack. Still, since our game is in the air, we can actually avoid getting grabbed by taking aerial hits instead.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I am constantly confused on this match up because Ice Climbers come up with some gay **** every time I play one. -_-;

Let's see, non chain grabbing Ice Climbers is a relieve to fight... for those who don't chain grab at least. All you have to worry about is grabbing when it comes to them. Chain grabbing Ice Climbers.... well don't get grabbed or you will feel the Ice Climbers cold, death hands as they chain grab you, your only hope is to bait trap them, try to de-sync them, and play defensive until you hit them. Now the biggest problem to fight.... Ice Climbers mains that know how to de-sync and chain grab.... ****, I DON'T EVEN KNOW THIS GAME ANYMORE!!! I mean de-sync Blizzard, Ice Shot, hell even grab > footstool > Ice Shot > repeat is more annoying than chain grabs. And the prime reason why this is a bad match up.... grabbing Ice Climbers when there are two of them is a bad idea, unless your lucky and grab the AI one. )=

As I said, I don't know this match up anymore.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Truthfully said Viper... Yeah, one grab and you can kiss your stock goodbye... Play UBER defensive, bait and punish, heck even aim to miss at times to keep them guessing.

I find using the beam of the Final Cutter to be greater than and IC's Iceberg or Blizzard approach. Relects back those Icebergs and goes right through Blizzard. Also, it kind of throws a wrech into there desynch for a while. It shouldn't be too abused because they will eventually see it coming.

Plus, I think Kirby's Vulcan Jab can be pretty useful. The other thing that might out range it, I think, is a Blizzard.
<- That's a pretty nifty hitbox right thur.

If you feeling risky I think maybe using your Break Spin dash attack has a nifty hitbox as well to potentially separate them.

If you ever do seperate them take down Nana with NO... MERCY!!

I know the chaingrab is scary but dwell on your positives, you can't give up! It's not totally unwinable.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Yep, pretty much. And the fact that our attacks aren't super disjointed like Snake's, Marth's, MK's (amd others), we're at risk of getting grabbed whenever we attack. Still, since our game is in the air, we can actually avoid getting grabbed by taking aerial hits instead.
Play your aerial game more then your ground game, and play regularly while you CAN desync them. That's a key element. Don't get mindgamed, and watch out for random projectiles.

I am constantly confused on this match up because Ice Climbers come up with some gay **** every time I play one. -_-;

Let's see, non chain grabbing Ice Climbers is a relieve to fight... for those who don't chain grab at least. All you have to worry about is grabbing when it comes to them. Chain grabbing Ice Climbers.... well don't get grabbed or you will feel the Ice Climbers cold, death hands as they chain grab you, your only hope is to bait trap them, try to de-sync them, and play defensive until you hit them. Now the biggest problem to fight.... Ice Climbers mains that know how to de-sync and chain grab.... ****, I DON'T EVEN KNOW THIS GAME ANYMORE!!! I mean de-sync Blizzard, Ice Shot, hell even grab > footstool > Ice Shot > repeat is more annoying than chain grabs. And the prime reason why this is a bad match up.... grabbing Ice Climbers when there are two of them is a bad idea, unless your lucky and grab the AI one. )=

As I said, I don't know this match up anymore.
If you can manage to desync them, I personally feel as if Kirby's ability to mimic there projectile could come handy. Not specifically for damage either, but for that projectile option capability as well as mindgames and predictability purposes.

Truthfully said Viper... Yeah, one grab and you can kiss your stock goodbye... Play UBER defensive, bait and punish, heck even aim to miss at times to keep them guessing.

I find using the beam of the Final Cutter to be greater than and IC's Iceberg or Blizzard approach. Relects back those Icebergs and goes right through Blizzard. Also, it kind of throws a wrech into there desynch for a while. It shouldn't be too abused because they will eventually see it coming.

Plus, I think Kirby's Vulcan Jab can be pretty useful. The other thing that might out range it, I think, is a Blizzard.
<- That's a pretty nifty hitbox right thur.

If you feeling risky I think maybe using your Break Spin dash attack has a nifty hitbox as well to potentially separate them.

If you ever do seperate them take down Nana with NO... MERCY!!

I know the chaingrab is scary but dwell on your positives, you can't give up! It's not totally unwinable.
Right, you don't want to repeat the same stuff when you finally do desync them, or desyncing them in the first place does nothing. Play out and mix up your predictability and gameplay patterns. Keep them guessing, and don't get touched.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
So I've had the opportunity to play Teh Future up in Midwest, Lain, and Hylian so:

Don't get grabbed. Obviously; beyond that.....don't get grabbed.
IC chaingrabs require a good amount of concentration and control so it's not impossible to say they can mess up so if they do grab you mash buttons and smash directions in hopes you'll get out of there.

As far as approach- If you can space it perfectly, and I mean within a micron of distance, you can FAir and hit with your very end of your nub, then DI away. Our best bet is to stay as far away from ICs as possible by being on platforms, BAiring away and FC when they spam projectiles or blizzard (but only from a safe distance away. If they run up on you and there's not enough time to get away, FTilt or maybe even roll towards them if you think you can land behind them.

I'm not sure why you'd approach- But if you decide to approach, FAir close enough to get behind them and roll/ jump away, or far away enough to DI away and barely tag 'em with the end of your nub. OR punish their approach with a SHDAir in between to land behind them and roll/jump away. Before this gets flamed, read the first sentence 'I'm not sure why you'd approach...' and realize I'm not saying TO approach but IF you decide to, here are some good options.

When BAiring- Dont FFBAir; you're just asking to get grabbed. Stay as floaty as possible and try to only hit with the tip of your feet or you might be in danger of getting grabbed.

Tl;dr - Try and stay away; if you can't, move forward so that you're behind them and DONT GET GRABBED.
(Btw, don't throw out ratios unless you want to give an intelligent reason behind WHY you think it's that match-up.)
IMO- 65-35. If you get grabbed, that's a stock. If you get rid of nana and continue to play safe, you take off a stock of ICs because you can pursue off the edge an amazing distance with FAirs and BAirs. Also with our UThrows and DSmashs we can keep them separated for enough time to get a kill with FSmash or another kill move.

/endWallOfText

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Don't get grabbed. Obviously; beyond that.....don't get grabbed.
IC chaingrabs require a good amount of concentration and control so it's not impossible to say they can mess up so if they do grab you mash buttons and smash directions in hopes you'll get out of there.
Of course, that's the main, primary largest threat of the Ice Climbers matchups for most characters. Especially Kirby since it's a lighter character and prone to KO at lower percents.

Smoom77

Smash Master
This matchup is really broken IMO. We can pivot grab your bair EXTREMELY easily. It doesn't even touch us. If we stand with our backs to you, we don't need any thing since we can pivot grab EVERYTHING.

I haven't played many Kirbys, but that's what I got from it.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
This matchup is really broken IMO. We can pivot grab your bair EXTREMELY easily. It doesn't even touch us. If we stand with our backs to you, we don't need any thing since we can pivot grab EVERYTHING.

I haven't played many Kirbys, but that's what I got from it.
I agree. Kirby has a HUGE disadvantage vs Ice Climbers... 70:30 at best.

Prawn

Smash Master
Eh, kirby has options vs ics, just not many

65:35 ic favor

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I agree. Kirby has a HUGE disadvantage vs Ice Climbers... 70:30 at best AND THIS IS WHY I THINK SO...
Eh, kirby has options vs ics, just not many

65:35 ic favor AND THIS IS WHY I THINK SO...
Interesting opinion, I agree with the 65-35 MU and if you see my earlier post it explains why. I think I forgot about the pivot grab which is another reason why approaching with BAir is a horrible idea and a bad approach to this MU, but retreating BAir against an approach is better (but not by much).

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Interesting opinion, I agree with the 65-35 MU and if you see my earlier post it explains why. I think I forgot about the pivot grab which is another reason why approaching with BAir is a horrible idea and a bad approach to this MU, but retreating BAir against an approach is better (but not by much).
Aerials are basically the way to go, but timing is essential, obviously. Ice Climbers are a dangerous matchup so you need to be extremely cautious, but not to the extent where you're not landing any hits.

Prawn

Smash Master
you should never approach, theres no reason to unless you are losing by a dramatic percent or a stock, at which point you've already lost because if kirby goes down like that you lose.

kirby can gimp ics, and have a few counterpick stages to play around with vs them, you can also camp ics hard and deal dmg when they trip or mess up.

thats about it, theres more technical/matchup specific stuff i might know but i dont write a lot of it on smashboards anymore

65:35

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
you should never approach, theres no reason to unless you are losing by a dramatic percent or a stock, at which point you've already lost because if kirby goes down like that you lose.

kirby can gimp ics, and have a few counterpick stages to play around with vs them, you can also camp ics hard and deal dmg when they trip or mess up.

thats about it, theres more technical/matchup specific stuff i might know but i dont write a lot of it on smashboards anymore

65:35
That's basically the trick. Stay defensive.

Prawn

Smash Master
also if you uthrow at a high percent(or any percent really) you can get usmashed and die by the other climber if they time it right(which isnt that hard because the hitbox is very longlasting)

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Alright guys, let's talk about CPing and neutrals

@ ICs- What is the easiest grab to land for the max amount of damage against Kirby? Isn't the timing for CGing Kirby a bit 'off' since he's floaty? Is an approaching CG better or is a defensive (shieldgrabbing or defending against an approach) CG better? Is there anything about Kirby that you feel you need priority concern to 'watch out for'?

Smoom77

Smash Master
Naturally, buffered bthorws are most efficient against anyone. Kirbys weight isn't any different, well it is. Everyones weight is different, aka different timing. Cging Kirby isn't any more difficult than others.

I don't look out for anything as long as I'm facing away, ready for a pivot grab.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Kirby is actually one of the easiest characters to chaingrab >.< I once got like ~5 throw>regrab with my eyes closed, having practiced for 5 minutes. Couple that with the fact we die early... GG

Top Bottom