• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Create-A-Team: A New Start - Yanmega!

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hey guys! During SmashCAP 1 Articanus started a CCAT (Community Create-A-Team) Project which was designed to work with a specific OU Pokemon and a specific set, and basically work together as a community to generate the right team members for it, essenatially creating a complete team. I've decdied to repost a new thread in an attempt to get it going again.

First off, I do not play the OverUsed metagame. Pretty much everyone knows this, so why does it matter? Well I basically have limited knowledge about the OU metagame bar (lol) Scizor. This means you, the average PokeCenter regular are responsible for keeping this thread alive with discussions about the target CCAT Pokemon or how a certain set is used / reacted to in the metagame. Regardless, I will do everything I can to work with you guys on creating and finding the right team(s) throughout CCAT.

Secondly, the Pokemon which the CCAT will center around will be picked via nominations, not by my personal selection. Everyone is given 3 (read: three) nominations for a Pokemon, and must give at least some sort of substance as to why they believe that Pokemon should be used. This way we'll prevent useless posts like (I nominate Scizor, Breloom, and Heracross) because A: we already know Scizor is on everyone's OU team and B: this will just clog up main discussions.

After the nominated Pokemon is decided, a discussion on the viable sets said Pokemon runs in the OU metagame will be discussed followed by a bold vote poll. The winning set from the bold vote poll is what we'll use to form teammates, etc. from there.

Now that directions are out of the way we can began discussing what Pokemon you think should be first centered around in CCAT 1. Remember the rules, and have fun! :)

I'll be saving the next post as a means to log all of the created teams and everything.
-----
CCAT 1 Yanmega

Teammates
Lead Starmie
Nidoking
Heatran
Breloom

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I guess I'll start things off be extremely slow in my attempt to understand how this thing will work.

1. Heracross: His usage is plummeting ever lower, so I think it'd be a good idea to make use of him now while we can still call him OU. He has great stats (speed is meh) and his weaknesses are not TOO prevalent, so I'm not so willing to let him go down without trying to help him. I've already made my own attempt at this, but I'm still pretty newb, so I'm interested to see what more experienced people would do differently to help the bug out.

2. Lucario: He's extremely dangerous and can tear things down after an SD, but despite this, I rarely see anyone using him, though that may just be me. Having a team based around this monster could be deadly.

3: Kingdra: Average stats but a fun typing, and he's got a lot of different movesets to choose from. Could be fun.

Can we also nominate UU Pokemon? Not that I want to, but it isn't unheard of for people to be throwing them onto OU team (i.e. Slowbro).

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Thank you, Sir Bedevere for following the rules. Your nominations will be tallied of.

UU/NU/BL Pokemon are completely viable for being nominated for CCAT, but it would be best if we started off with straight OU's.

-Terywj

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
following the rules
My explanations:

Snorlax: A Snorlax sweep is near impossible-a perfect challenge. Besides, I'm obsessed with him.

Zapdos: Ulti once mentioned how his usage was dropping to Heracross level. Let's fix that.

Staraptor: 2HKOing Swamperts without Grass moves deserves a little more respect than BL.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I was about to nominate Weavile, but then I remembered Scizor.

EDIT: I nominate Jolteon. He's super strong, but for some reason, you just don't see it too much. I know he's weak to EQ, but besides that, his typing is pretty solid. Regardless, it's still the fastest non-scarf Pokemon in OU, and has the force to back it up.

ss118

Smash Master
Zapdos seems like a prime candidate. It's bulky, powerful, fast, flexible.... but doesn't get as much use as it should.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
My explanations:

Snorlax: A Snorlax sweep is near impossible-a perfect challenge. Besides, I'm obsessed with him.

Zapdos: Ulti once mentioned how his usage was dropping to Heracross level. Let's fix that.

Staraptor: 2HKOing Swamperts without Grass moves deserves a little more respect than BL.
I was about to nominate Weavile, but then I remembered Scizor.

EDIT: I nominate Jolteon. He's super strong, but for some reason, you just don't see it too much. I know he's weak to EQ, but besides that, his typing is pretty solid. Regardless, it's still the fastest non-scarf Pokemon in OU, and has the force to back it up.
These will be tallied in.

Zapdos seems like a prime candidate. It's bulky, powerful, fast, flexible.... but doesn't get as much use as it should.
Is this a comment, or a nomination, Art? I can't tell. :\

-Terywj

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I think an interesting idea would be to do a create a team with a team thats legal for the upcoming VGCs

mood4food77

Smash Hero
okay let me try this

I nominate:
Yanmega: He's a beast when played right. He has 2 broken abilities in Speed Boost and Tinted Lens. With Tinted Lens, he hits super hard; probably making him one of the biggest pains to switch into. Speed Boost allows him to sweep even better as nothing will out-speed him after 2 speed boosts. His main drawback is his typing, it's the only thing truly keeping him from OU. Yea, not having baton pass like his Speed Boosting brethren Ninjask has doesn't help him but it's only his typing really keeping this little beast from truly being OU.

Hariyama: The only true 100% counter to Blissey. It walls every possible Blissey set there is and OHKOs the stupid pink ***** with a fighting move of it's choice. Massive HP and very high Attack are nothing to be laughed at. He's great team support and he can sweep. He should be used more often than not as he also does a great job against Tyranitar and he is annoying to switch into.

Abomasnow: The hail inducing plant-thing. Hail should be used more, it's a great weather and does a very good job at countering SS teams. Abomasnow is a must have on hail teams so the team should revolve around him. He has above average attack stats along with above average defensive stats. His speed is lacking but that can be made up for. He does have a lot of weaknesses but he also has a good amount of resistances (like celebi just not as good). It's type coverage is very good with it's STAB moves alone (only fire and steel pokemon resist both) and is easily made up for by the use of either Earthquake or Focus Punch/Blast. Hail teams have many pokes that do well in them like Mamoswine or even lesser used Walrein and Glaceon.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Zapdos- This guy is like stupidly good but nobody uses him anymore. :|

Machamp- Machamp has sooooo much potential to fit on any team and have all sorts of awesome sets. We need one.

Kingdra- Kindgra is the "lesser Dragon", but it has good potential to be on Par with things like Mence and DNite, lets show people that it does.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Alright. I think I'm going to stop nominations here, since everyone seems to have a bunch of different ideas.

In the end I'm either going to randomly select four from the list or go by public favoritism.

-Terywj

mood4food77

Smash Hero
eliminate the pokes you really don't want to see a team revolved around, then go to public favoritism

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh crap, I still have nominations. You can't close this now it's only been like 2 hours. :mad:

I think we should make a stall team since those are generally regarded as the most viable teams of OU.

Blissey
Skarmory
Rotom-H

The three of these form a solid defensive core that walls a large majority of types while still being able to deal with some threats, lay down entry hazards, phaze, and just generally be really gay. You can also run pretty much anything alongside these three and the team will work at least relatively well.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I hope you're nominating each of those separately, but I'm not abiding by anything else you posted afterwards regarding team-building.

-Terywj

mood4food77

Smash Hero
you're looking for a poke for us to base a team around right?
i suggest removing gates nominations anyways as all 3 are support and are rarely ever the star of a team
jolteon is the only other poke i suggest not being the main focus of the team

then we vote on the rest

i feel like abomasnow and kingdra would be the easiest as they are always the focus of their respective teams

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I hope you're nominating each of those separately, but I'm not abiding by anything else you posted afterwards regarding team-building.

-Terywj
I am nominating them separately and what's wrong with what I said?

i suggest removing gates nominations anyways as all 3 are support and are rarely ever the star of a team
I build most of my teams around Blissey.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Totally not cool man. I started working 3rd shift last week and for the first time since I've started, I actually got a good amount of sleep. And the one time I do, I COMPLETELY miss this (I've been sleeping from 5-9). So I'm going to nominate anyway, because I'm not in quite the correct mood to follow the rules right now.

I'm like some of the others and nominate Zapdos. I've used it before and can attest to just how great of a Pokemon it is, despite its low usage. Its versatility is rather astounding, so we can basically do anything we want with it and we'll probably find decent success. It really does just seem like the perfect candidate.

@M4F: Just because they're usually support Pokemon, it doesn't mean we can't force them into being the shining member of the team. It'd just be a lot more difficult.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
you didn't provide explanations

and you're a pink *****
i'm saying since this is the first one, we should start off easy

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Actually, Boosting Sweeper Rotom wouldn't be too hard to make the star of a team.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
No it's not cooler. It's gimmicky, trashy, and non-viable. The only formats where weather users are really significant are Ubers and Little Cup which are so offensive that the chip damage from hail/sandstorm and the other boosts from rain/sun are a huge deal, unlike more defensive formats like OU and UU where some of the best pokemon are immune to sandstorm and there are no good weather users anyway.

And I did provide explanations, read the rest of my post.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i meant a seperate explanation for each poke...like the rest of us did....

i have a completely viable hail team, it counters every other weather team and works very well as a normal team, i went 15-2 with that team recently

and kingdra needs support around it, rain dance and kingdra flow so well together and when rain is up, kingdra *****

basing a team around BP is worse than basing it around weather, it's fine if only 1 poke does it but not a bunch and with that, BPing only requires a 2 pokemon flow, not the entire team to be based around the 1 said poke

with kingdra or abomasnow, you need the entire team to revolve around them but they're kind of the opposite

with kingdra, you need the rest of the team to be able to make sure kingdra can do what is has to in order to sweep

with abomasnow, you have to make sure he can safely go in and out, in order to keep hail going and adding a few other pokes that are great in hail makes the need even more important

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, BP is way worse than weather. How could I have forgotten about that. Prolly cause I haven't seen it in about 100 years.

15-2 with a hail team? No ****ing way lol.

Anyway, I guess I'll expand more on the reasoning for what I have.

Blissey - A beastly special wall. Easily the best in OU and possibly the best in the game. Most people think that a team could not be built around this, but using it as part of a defensive core can be very good. Even without a defensive combination with other pokemon, CM Blissey can be very viable in OU with the right attacks and support from paralysis spreaders and possibly Reflect.

Skarmory - A beastly physical wall and phazer. Everyone knows the standard Skarmory with Brave Bird, Spikes, Roost, and Roar/Whirlwind, but there are other Skarm builds that are just as unique and interesting. Torment Skarm is very unique against things that try to switch in on it and Taunt Skarm is great in stall dittos. There's even the possibility of bring back CBSkarm with moves like Night Slash and Steel Wing which are fairly relevant in the metagame right now. AgiliSkarm could even have potential since base 70 speed after 2 boosts is respectable.

Rotom-H - The Rotom-A sets have beastly versatility. They can be bulky supporters, boosting attackers, choiced revenge killers, resttalkers, phazers, annoyers, mailmen, nurses, teachers, scientists, and maybe some day we will even have a Rotom-A forme as the President of the United States. Using it on a team is almost a no-brainer, so why wouldn't it be the first pokemon to be on the team? I listed Rotom-H here because it's the best against the steel types that are all over the place, but really any Rotom-A can be used.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Let's bring this thread back on topic.

I second the nomination for Yanmega. It's exactly the kind of tricky pokemon that would require an entire team supporting it to make it work, and its attacking power and coverage really give it a lot of options for either a specs tinted lens set or an end-game sweeper that can't be stopped. It's also cool. :)

Zapdos is boring as hell, it doesn't have the movepool to be as awesome as it wishes it could be. Let's also try a team based on Dragonite, whose stall-breaking abilities are second-to-none in OU with its bulk. It has a lot of options, is perpetually overshadowed by Mence and Latias, and has similar versatility to Mence backed by a nice priority move.

One other pokemon that can become a total beast with some nice team support is Rhyperior. It has the power and coverage to sweep late game with rock polish/swords dance, be a sandstorm mixed wall, or could even do something gimmicky like subpunch or SDresttalk and still be a giant threat.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Machamp - Machamp is the epitome of bulky offense. He has great hard-hitting moves, high attack, and significant bulk. He works well on Semi-stall, balanced, and bulky offense and has many roles that he can fill.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Calm Mind Wish Jirachi - CM Wish Jirachi is very popular right now, and its fame can be partially attributed to Team Sugarless GiRL. It is a very potent sweeper, though it lacks in one major category: type coverage. By equipping a team that can eliminate Jirachi's counters, you can easily sweep through any team out there.

Linoone - Linoone struck jackpot when GameFreak gave him Belly Drum, ExtremeSpeed, and Gluttony. Even unprepared OU teams can be swept after a Belly Drum; however, he requires lots of support. Rapid Spin and weather change are two of the major problems; others include bulky Steel-type Pokémon and Choice Scarf Gengar.

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
I think Vaporeon deverses a mention since its Spec Attack and HP are very high making it a nifty special sweeper when given some speed boosts and plus it can surive a few hits that comes its way with high HP and decent spec defense. Also getting to learn baton pass and wish makes Vaporeon even better :)
It also makes for a great team member in double battles with its ablity Water Absorb and great range of support moves

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Can't nominate my ***. I asked a question and went offline, you can't cancel nominations after 3 hours. **** that. What happened to the poll?

Gallade: Great movepool, and good attack stat. Can take on a variety of roles (Choice'd, Swords Dance, etc.), and its typing gives you access to a variety of STAB moves that other fighting types lack. Despite its vast move pool, it can be walled by a few specific Pokémon depending on what set you're using. Surround it with other Pokémon that can play off its strengths and cover its weaknesses, and it becomes a force to be reckoned with.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Calm Mind Wish Jirachi - CM Wish Jirachi is very popular right now, and its fame can be partially attributed to Team Sugarless GiRL.
I guess in an indirect way this is true. It may partially be the direct reason why as well, but I'm pretty sure CM Jirachi's usage has more to do with the same reason as ScarfTar's: Megan Fox. The indirect way of this comes with the fact that it was mentioned in the RMT that CM Jirachi's usage on the team was due to originally seeing it on Team Sugarless GiRL and liking it.

@kirbyraeg: Zapdos has 9 sets, almost all of which have different uses and all of which are viable. 9 ****ing sets. And there are more that can be made as well that are just as successful as the listed ones. Zapdos is less boring and more awesome than you think.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Can't nominate my ***. I asked a question and went offline, you can't cancel nominations after 3 hours. **** that. What happened to the poll?
Really? Because I said I think I might. Does that mean I was going to 100% and did I? No. I wanted to stop nominations so early because everyone was nominating a different three Pokemon with each post, and that would completely defeat the purpose of having such nominations.

The poll? If you read the rules you'd understand that nominations occur before the poll.
This just tells me you didn't read the rules.

Gallade: Great movepool, and good attack stat. Can take on a variety of roles (Choice'd, Swords Dance, etc.), and its typing gives you access to a variety of STAB moves that other fighting types lack. Despite its vast move pool, it can be walled by a few specific Pokémon depending on what set you're using. Surround it with other Pokémon that can play off its strengths and cover its weaknesses, and it becomes a force to be reckoned with.
There is a solid nomination.

Just glancing through everything else, I'll ask that a poll be made upon the following Pokemon:

Zapdos
Yanmega
Kingdra
Gallade
Rhyperior
Machamp

Anymore and it becomes too wide for a poll, any less and you guys are going to complain about having too little options.

-Terywj

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hold up.

Can we get confirmation that you aren't able to give people more than one vote?

Top Bottom