• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Create-A-Team: A New Start - Yanmega!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
So many leads get down Rocks against Machamp, it's not even funny. Really.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he still KOs almost every lead out there with no problem, some kid got to rank 16 using this set as his lead

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Adamant/No Guard
240 HP/248 Atk/4 Spe/16 SpD
Bullet Punch
Dynamic Punch
Payback
Ice Punch

It does a really good job and counters the hell out of Smeargle and Roserade
it looks like it's designed to not stop rocks but to stop the lead from doing anything but setting up rocks, cause really after you do that, all you have to do is spin them away which is pretty easy to do with Starmie

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the problem with Kingdra is that you need the team to support that for it to be really effective and we're trying to build to make Yanmega a good threat.

zapdos' main problem is it's rock weakness but it could come in handy

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Then they switch to Rotom-A, which is on about 1/5 of all teams, Starmie proceeds to get its *** pounded in by Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball.

I think it would be better to just not let rocks get up in the first place.

HotWings

Smash Ace
I know this seems odd for a yanmega but i used to use him all the time and this is what i used and it works.. trust me... then again this was about 1 and a half to 2 years ago so im sure there are better sets now... anyways here it is.

Yanmega @ Wide Lens
Modest/Speed Boost
252 Spe/252 Sp.Atk/4 Def or 4 HP (doesnt matter)
Hypnosis
Protect
Air Slash
Bug Buzz

As you can see this is very original but it used to work really well... not sure if its still god but i do know that it can kill walls and sweepers (expect blissey)

I know its old but im old school when it comes to pokemon so deal with it xD

Gates

Banned via Warnings
mood4food, what we're trying to go for with anti leads are those who are so fast that the opponent can't set up rocks at all. It's a better solution than trying to rely on rapid spin since that strategy is easily predictable. Machamp is too slow to prevent anything from setting up rocks, so no it does not do its job.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i probably should've specified saying that not for this team though

for anti-leads, aerodactyl could work, sets up rocks and taunts while being faster than every lead except for scarfrichi and other aerodactyl's

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Aerodactyl is ideal at this point, only "beaten" by ScarfRachi. However, if the opponent attacks while you Taunt, you die while the opponent takes no damage, meaning they can set up entry hazards later.

Some other potent anti-leads I've seen / used are Specs Swampert and Life Orb / Specs Porygon-Z.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Specs...Swampert? I think that would be a little slow.

Also, what about Dragonite? He's a pretty good anti-lead since he has access to Extremespeed and can't be faked out.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Specs...Swampert? I think that would be a little slow.

Also, what about Dragonite? He's a pretty good anti-lead since he has access to Extremespeed and can't be faked out.
SpecsPert outspeeds and OHKOs Metagross. And that's about it.

Dragonite can't stop Metagross, Azelf, Swampert, lots from getting up Rocks.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, I thought Dragonite was faster than he actually is for some reason.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
That's the only reason starmie would be used as an anti-lead at all. combining spin with nice attacking power/coverage while being able to muscle through a lot of stealth rock leads, spin being the most important part. Against offensive teams, they don't have something in the non-lead slot putting up entry hazards...and grounded hazards won't affect yanmega, making starmie's function ideal while also scouting whether the opposing team has a blissey or relies on something like a scarftar/rotom to defeat it. This scouting ability is really helpful for the team, especially knowing that a **** tyranitar will outspeed specs yanmega. (lol)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
starmie does make a good anti-lead as aerodactyl and scarfrichi would be the only two to out-speed it

so...aerodactyl and starmie as anti-leads?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
starmie does make a good anti-lead as aerodactyl and scarfrichi would be the only two to out-speed it

so...aerodactyl and starmie as anti-leads?
With Starmie, you're going to want a ghost on the team. Tying with Azelf means there's a 50/50 chance that it not only gets up Stealth Rock, but also Explodes on your spinner before it gets a chance to spin. A fast ghost is recommended, so that way you can hopefully capitalize on their situation whether they actually Explode or just switch out.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Let's just go with anti-lead Jirachi. Stops stealth rocks, sets up stealth rocks, supports the team, is major monster.

I mean, I see you guys want to be creative and put your favorite pokemon on and all, but there is no anti-lead like Jirachi. There's a reason its the 2nd most used.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
so you mean Jirachi like this:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly/Serene Grace
252 Spe/252 Atk/6 HP
Trick
Iron Head
Stealth Rock
Filler

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Jirachi doesn't really stop rocks, it just tricks them into being locked into Stealth Rock.

mood4food, U-Turn is usually the last move on Scarfrachi.

Crashic, where are you getting that Jirachi is the second most used anti-lead? He's the 5th most used lead overall and arguably the most used anti-lead depending on whether or not you consider Aerodactyl an anti-lead.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I mean, I see you guys want to be creative and put your favorite pokemon on and all, but there is no anti-lead like Jirachi. There's a reason its the 2nd most used.
I know it's pretty ridiculous that Starmie ended up being a Pokemon of discussion, but we're serious here on using it as the role of an Anti-Lead. Not just because we love it so much.

-Terywj

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Starmie doesn't seem like a good choice for a lead. But Starmie pretty much needs to be on this team. The best lead to stop rocks from coming up in the first place is Aerodactyl. Only Scarfed leads like Jirachi will be able to get rocks up, and they'll be locked into it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Starmie doesn't seem like a good choice for a lead. But Starmie pretty much needs to be on this team. The best lead to stop rocks from coming up in the first place is Aerodactyl. Only Scarfed leads like Jirachi will be able to get rocks up, and they'll be locked into it.
Starmie actually does a great job as an anti-lead, and makes for a good lead on extremely offensive teams due to how high it tends to set the pace of the game.

Moozle

Smash Champion
It sounds a bit crazy, but scarfed espeon is actually a really good anti-lead in my opinion. Grass knot, HP Fire, Psychic and signal beam covers a huge amount of leads. There might be better, since many things are only 2KHOd, but it's still a good option. The only problem with it is tyranitar and kind of scizor revenge killing.

But Jirachi really is the best in my opinion. I just like espeon cool points :p

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Seriously, Leafy? I already named two leads that OHKO it, Specs Swampert and Specs PoryZ.

Also Modest Overheat Heatran. Modest Life Orb Nidoking sometimes OHKOs: 94.5% - 112.1%

Life Orb Gastrodon almost always OHKOs, 99.5% - 117.6%, but he's outsped.

Camerupt's Life Orb Earth Power always OHKOs.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
If we use aero as a lead, then we might want a magnezone as a partner. Magnezone kills scarf jirachi with little effort, and quite often scizor will switch in on a weakened aero to finish him off only for magnezone to come in and kill him for free. It should be noted that scizor can be a problem pokemon for yanmega. I've personally used aero + dual screens magnezone to great success.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Crashic, where are you getting that Jirachi is the second most used anti-lead? He's the 5th most used lead overall and arguably the most used anti-lead depending on whether or not you consider Aerodactyl an anti-lead.
Ah, I am out of date then. Last time I checked Smogon's server thingy, it was the 2nd most used, under Azelf of course. Can't remember how long ago that was.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wait wait wait wait wait

We need a summary of each of the options.

Also we need to decide on the options.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think 4 of the options are:

Aerodactyl
Azelf
Scarf Jirachi
Starmie

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Aerodactyl - The fastest Stealth Rock user and the third-fastest Taunt user, Aerodactyl can quickly prevent and set up Stealth Rocks, though it usually faints in the process. Has problems with lead Infernape because of Fake Out, ScarfJirachi because of speed and Iron Head, and Metagross with Bullet Punch.

Azelf - While not as fast as Aerodactyl, Azelf boasts high Attack and Special Attack stats, while still retaining Taunt and Stealth Rock. Has problems with Aerodactyl, Tyranitar, and Metagross with Bullet Punch.

Jirachi - With a Choice Scarf, Jirachi is the fastest lead out there and can quickly set up Stealth Rock or Trick away its Scarf to lock an opponent into Stealth Rock. It can also pray for hax and try to flinch its way through leads like Aerodactyl and Infernape. Has trouble with Heatran, Infernape, and Metagross.

Starmie - Rapid Spin is Starmie's main selling point. It can use Surf or Hydro Pump to reduce Pokémon like Infernape to 1 HP and finish them off with Rapid Spin, clearing the field of entry hazards. However, it cannot set up its own entry hazards.

Top Bottom